New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Used vs New

I've been thinking about trading in my 2016 GLC 300 for a hybrid SUV, either a Honda CR-V or a Rav4. My usual dealer has a 2019 Rav4 hybrid that is loaded, but has 43k on it, which puts it out of the basic warranty. They're asking just under $40k for it. The thing I don't get is that a new top of the line loaded CR-V is a bit less than that. The nearest Honda dealer to me has one in stock. The website shows the price at $38k and change, but under that it says "Call for Our Price."

Is this a situation where they're going to ask $5k or more over the listed MSRP? I could call, but I really don't want to have some salesperson hounding me for the next month.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've been thinking about trading in my GLC 300 for a hybrid SUV, either a Honda CR-V or a Rav4. My usual dealer has a 2019 Rav4 hybrid that is loaded, but has 43k on it, which puts it out of the basic warranty. They're asking just under $40k for it. The thing I don't get is that a new top of the line loaded CR-V is a bit less than that. The nearest Honda dealer to me has one in stock. The website shows the price at $38k and change, but under that it says "Call for Our Price."

Is this a situation where they're going to ask $5k or more over the listed MSRP? I could call, but I really don't want to have some salesperson hounding me for the next month.
Well so the difference would be 3k, full warranty, you'll know how it was taken care of and 2/3 years newer. I would pay the 5k over if needed in that case. (that said I never buy new) I do see it's not the same kind of SUV so you'll have to figure out which is better.
Appreciate 1
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
I've been thinking about trading in my GLC 300 for a hybrid SUV, either a Honda CR-V or a Rav4. My usual dealer has a 2019 Rav4 hybrid that is loaded, but has 43k on it, which puts it out of the basic warranty. They're asking just under $40k for it. The thing I don't get is that a new top of the line loaded CR-V is a bit less than that. The nearest Honda dealer to me has one in stock. The website shows the price at $38k and change, but under that it says "Call for Our Price."

Or it's bs and they don't have it. I'm not sure about the Honda, but I have been following the new F150 for a while as I would like to get one eventually. I have found TONS of new one listed, but what happens is they don't actually have that truck. It's either on the way and already ordered by a customer or it was already sold and they keep it online to drive traffic I'm guessing. Then you show up and they are like oh that one just sold but we can order a new one for you and you can wait 6 months to a year. No thanks. I'm sitting this out until they get their shit together.
Appreciate 2
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #4
The Libertine
Major
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW X4 M40i

Give the Dealer a call. These are strange times in the automobile industry, and Dealers generally have an easier time moving cars doe to supply shortage. Cars are not on the lot very long, so I expect if you’re ultimately not interested there will be someone else who is, and thus the Dealer has less “hounding” to do.
Appreciate 1
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
The Libertine
Major
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Or it's bs and they don't have it. I'm not sure about the Honda, but I have been following the new F150 for a while as I would like to get one eventually. I have found TONS of new one listed, but what happens is they don't actually have that truck. It's either on the way and already ordered by a customer or it was already sold and they keep it online to drive traffic I'm guessing. Then you show up and they are like oh that one just sold but we can order a new one for you and you can wait 6 months to a year. No thanks. I'm sitting this out until they get their shit together.
Good point. Make sure the vehicle is on the lot vs. “in transit”. Also, note that some manufacturers are shipping cars to the Dealers, but with a “stop sale” due to a component that requires a chip. Manufacturer is able to move the cars, and ultimately becomes the Dealers issue to wait for the component to arrive.
Appreciate 1
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 11:01 AM   #6
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I've been thinking about trading in my 2016 GLC 300 for a hybrid SUV, either a Honda CR-V or a Rav4. My usual dealer has a 2019 Rav4 hybrid that is loaded, but has 43k on it, which puts it out of the basic warranty. They're asking just under $40k for it. The thing I don't get is that a new top of the line loaded CR-V is a bit less than that. The nearest Honda dealer to me has one in stock. The website shows the price at $38k and change, but under that it says "Call for Our Price."

Why are you thinking of making a change?
1) You don't like the GLC 300 and you want out of it?
2) You want a newer car because your warranty is expired?
3) You are trying to save money on fuel?

If your answer is #3, the fuel savings you will be getting with the CR-V Hybrid (38mpg vs 23 with your GLC) will almost completely offset by the transaction cost of changing vehicles. Just the sales tax on the new purchase will almost make up the difference.
Appreciate 2
M_Six18683.00
upstatedoc7527.50
      01-08-2022, 11:24 AM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Yeah my gut reaction is it is always cheaper to keep what you have.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Why are you thinking of making a change?
1) You don't like the GLC 300 and you want out of it?
2) You want a newer car because your warranty is expired?
3) You are trying to save money on fuel?

If your answer is #3, the fuel savings you will be getting with the CR-V Hybrid (38mpg vs 23 with your GLC) will almost completely offset by the transaction cost of changing vehicles. Just the sales tax on the new purchase will almost make up the difference.
I've never liked this GLC 300. There are several things that drive me nuts about it. I've been toying with the idea of dumping it for a while now, but I keep thinking that it's paid for and running ok, so why bother. Then on Monday I got rear ended. In order to have a figure to settle with the other driver's insurance company, I asked my normal dealer to give me an idea of how much trade-in value I lost because due to the accident. Even once it's repaired, there will be a hit to the value. They agreed to look at it and the repairs and give me a figure. Then I started looking around at their inventory and saw that Rav4, so it got me back to thinking about a trade-in.

I rarely buy new, but in this market it seems used is just as pricey as new, so why not go new. I don't care about the fuel mileage as much as I only drive 5k miles a year or so. The vast percentage of my driving consists of short local trips, so with a hybrid I'm thinking I won't be using the gas engine part very much. I like that idea even if it isn't going to cover the cost of switching cars.

Warranty is not a primary concern, but I usually like at least a year to make sure there isn't something inherently wrong with the car I wasn't told about. My GLC, for instance, died 2 days after they delivered it to me. The ignition switch went belly up and that locked the wheels in place. It was a huge hassle dragging it out of my garage and getting it back to the dealer. Plus that happened a couple of days before Christmas last year, so it took them almost 2 weeks to get my car back to me. They covered all that, of course, plus gave me a nice loaner, but still, it's that kind of crap I want some coverage on for at least a year.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

$5K a year? TBH I'd go old, you cannot lose. Previous gen X3 is a really nice trucklet. Even with 50K miles it'll last you ages and you'd save $25K off a new Rav 4
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I've never liked this GLC 300. There are several things that drive me nuts about it. I've been toying with the idea of dumping it for a while now, but I keep thinking that it's paid for and running ok, so why bother. Then on Monday I got rear ended. In order to have a figure to settle with the other driver's insurance company, I asked my normal dealer to give me an idea of how much trade-in value I lost because due to the accident. Even once it's repaired, there will be a hit to the value. They agreed to look at it and the repairs and give me a figure. Then I started looking around at their inventory and saw that Rav4, so it got me back to thinking about a trade-in.

I rarely buy new, but in this market it seems used is just as pricey as new, so why not go new. I don't care about the fuel mileage as much as I only drive 5k miles a year or so. The vast percentage of my driving consists of short local trips, so with a hybrid I'm thinking I won't be using the gas engine part very much. I like that idea even if it isn't going to cover the cost of switching cars.

Warranty is not a primary concern, but I usually like at least a year to make sure there isn't something inherently wrong with the car I wasn't told about. My GLC, for instance, died 2 days after they delivered it to me. The ignition switch went belly up and that locked the wheels in place. It was a huge hassle dragging it out of my garage and getting it back to the dealer. Plus that happened a couple of days before Christmas last year, so it took them almost 2 weeks to get my car back to me. They covered all that, of course, plus gave me a nice loaner, but still, it's that kind of crap I want some coverage on for at least a year.

Thanks for providing details. I have friends who want to change cars just for gas mileage and it's almost never a good business case unless there is another compelling reason to make a change.

Personally, I'd go for the CR-V. I rode in a new one the other day and it was really nice. I hope you can get it at MSRP in this market. Check cars.com

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
$5K a year? TBH I'd go old, you cannot lose. Previous gen X3 is a really nice trucklet. Even with 50K miles it'll last you ages and you'd save $25K off a new Rav 4
My dealer has 2 2018 X3s in stock, both with around 50k miles. One is $37k and one is $38k. So about the same as the new CR-V I was looking at (assuming they'll actually sell the CR-V at that price).

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:00 PM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

No go back to 2013. It's a much better looking vehicle anyways.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I just "built" a new Rav4 hybrid with the options I want. The MSRP is $41,924. I'm willing to bet I couldn't buy one anywhere near that price, which smacks of misleading advertising to me. Plus it's probably going to be months to get one with those options. Still, that's just $2k more than the 2019 model that my dealer has. I guess the dealer figures their bird in the hand is worth two of my birds in the bush if I can't actually buy a new car at MSRP.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #14
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

The old days of dealers hounding you to make a deal are gone, the tables are flipped….these guys have no inventory and if you don’t want it, oh well the next guy in the door will.
Appreciate 1
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No go back to 2013. It's a much better looking vehicle anyways.
Thanks, but I'm not interested in buying a car 3 years older than the one I have. Mine has 65k miles on it, so if I have to, I'll just hang onto it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #16
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
The old days of dealers hounding you to make a deal are gone, the tables are flipped….these guys have no inventory and if you don’t want it, oh well the next guy in the door will.
That's what I'm thinking. To be fair, my dealer has always given me decent trade-ins and cut their price by a grand or two. But my long-time salesman retired last year, so I'd be starting from scratch with someone new. Still, I bet the trade-in they'd offer me for my GLC along with the insurance settlement will bring the cost of that 2019 Rav4 down to the point where I can just write a check to cover the rest. I just want to explore new options before I jump on something used and partially out of warranty.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4600.00
      01-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Older cars are fucking tops.

Less beeping and warning, integrated screens, knobs for key controls, less throttle lag etc. New cars drive me insane, they are always yelling at me.
Appreciate 1
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #18
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

I would not buy a used Toyota/Honda in this type of market. Paying just under what was the sticker price when new for a vehicle with no warranty and 40k miles driven by a stranger (could have been grandma style or completely aggressive and abused, you'd never know) is obscene.

I recommend you buy new. If you're gonna end up at the $40k price point, I'd get a new 2022 NX Hybrid instead of the Rav or CRV. Same powertrain as the Rav but a much nicer interior and a bunch of standard safety kit, plus the best dealership/service experience of any brand. Coming from the GLC you'll want to retain some of the luxuries.

As for markups, I recently just helped a family member find a dealer who would help them get a new NX for sticker. I contacted all the dealers via email and told them I simply want to know if cars or being offered at sticker and then I would talk with them about putting an order in so I could save myself some of the hassle. Lucky for me as well, I added in our disconnected landline number so I wouldn't get bombarded with calls, and also used a new email account specifically to contact dealers so my personal one wouldn't get spammed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #19
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Older cars are fucking tops.

Less beeping and warning, integrated screens, knobs for key controls, less throttle lag etc. New cars drive me insane, they are always yelling at me.
This is true. My 2001 E39 was close to perfect. The only thing that would have made that car better was a nicer hands-free setup for the phone. But they were just becoming viable then. My 2001 E39 had a BMW folding phone in it.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3799.50
      01-08-2022, 12:58 PM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I would not buy a used Toyota/Honda in this type of market. Paying just under what was the sticker price when new for a vehicle with no warranty and 40k miles driven by a stranger (could have been grandma style or completely aggressive and abused, you'd never know) is obscene.

I recommend you buy new. If you're gonna end up at the $40k price point, I'd get a new 2022 NX Hybrid instead of the Rav or CRV. Same powertrain as the Rav but a much nicer interior and a bunch of standard safety kit, plus the best dealership/service experience of any brand. Coming from the GLC you'll want to retain some of the luxuries.

As for markups, I recently just helped a family member find a dealer who would help them get a new NX for sticker. I contacted all the dealers via email and told them I simply want to know if cars or being offered at sticker and then I would talk with them about putting an order in so I could save myself some of the hassle. Lucky for me as well, I added in our disconnected landline number so I wouldn't get bombarded with calls, and also used a new email account specifically to contact dealers so my personal one wouldn't get spammed.
The NX Hybrid starts at that $40k point, but quickly rises into the $50k zone with options. Plus there isn't a Lexus dealer within 100 miles of me. I'm done driving 90 minutes to the dealer like I have to do now. They do look like nice vehicles, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:59 PM   #21
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Google "fuel dilution Honda".

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
M_Six18683.00
      01-08-2022, 01:04 PM   #22
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Google "fuel dilution Honda".
Good to know. But that appears to be a 2016-2018 model issue. I'll research it more, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3799.50