New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #45
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d View Post
my commute round trip is 90 miles per day. I've been riding to work year round since 2006. splitting about 1/3 of that distance.

I'm never the fastest or the slowest. Now that it's warm (squid season) I move over and let alot of bikes pass me as I split. IMO they go too fast meaning a high delta between their speed and flow of traffic. this does not give them time to read drivers they come up on nor does it give them time to react or brake.

rule for me: if you got cars on BOTH sides of you it's safe. once you have an open space on one side keep your senses up.

once I'm above 40mph I evaluate every car like I'm passing it. my throttle is constantly changing.

I don't think I'll do this outside CA. people here driving during commute hours know bikes will be splitting.

I have at least 4-500k miles on two wheels. NEVER have I seen a scared driver swerve INTO the noise that frightened them. there are ALWAYS grumpy old men that honk as you pass. a few passive aggressive type who won't move as they hug the line. by far drivers here are actually courteous to riders who aren't too aggressive.
I have no issue with lane splitting, though as a car driver I would think you're constantly in someone's blind spot? Guess matter of speed?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #46
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435ix F33

People who are against lane splitting are just jealous that they can't do it in their cages. I've see a-holes open doors and throw coffee when they see someone coming up and yet the biker is the one being "dangerous."

DISCLAIMER: I only did this when traffic was at a dead stop.
      06-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #47
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep

Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

I don't ride but have done a lot of freeway driving in traffic here in Southern California for many years.
Most of us don't see the lane splitters until the last moment and there often isn't a lot of room between handlebars and car doors. It would seem to be a lot safer at slower speeds but with cars drifting and people texting-the lane splitters are taking a lot more risk. Don't depend on others seeing you and slow down. We don't want to witness what can happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #48
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
I don't ride but have done a lot of freeway driving in traffic here in Southern California for many years.
Most of us don't see the lane splitters until the last moment and there often isn't a lot of room between handlebars and car doors. It would seem to be a lot safer at slower speeds but with cars drifting and people texting-the lane splitters are taking a lot more risk. Don't depend on others seeing you and slow down. We don't want to witness what can happen.
I ride like I am invisible--expecting someone to see me is probably one of the worse things to do on a motorcycle.
Appreciate 3
to_riffic3010.00
Efthreeoh16947.50