New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: E90 330i

Is this E46 BMW M3 a unicorn?

So, I sold my E90 330i because even after going FBO I wanted something a bit quicker.

Found a mystic blue 2003 E46 M3 in my area with only 45K on the odo, no accidents... it is SMG, but with such low mileage on the car I'm not too concerned about it. It's listed at $20k Canadian, so roughly $14k USD...

It is also fully stock, lady driven, with all service records.

What do you think?
E90 330i - Alpine White - 6MT - ZSP - 35% Llumar tint - OEM front splitters - Kerscher CF front lip - BMW CF performance trunk spoiler - matte black grilles - LED angel eyes - AA downpipes - AA tuned - MTech rear - charcoal delete - aFe Pro Dry S

Last edited by polskatomek; 01-04-2016 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: added more info
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Is that the one at CarbonOak?

If it is, you better jump on it soon. I heard it might be going to auction, or getting dumped cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
MeHoW
Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by polskatomek View Post
So, I sold my E90 330i because even after going FBO I wanted something a bit quicker.

Found a mystic blue 2003 E46 M3 in my area with only 45K on the odo, no accidents... it is SMG, but with such low mileage on the car I'm not too concerned about it. It's listed at $20k Canadian, so roughly $14k USD...

It is also fully stock, lady driven, with all service records.

What do you think?
It's SMG the value is basically half of what it should be because of that, basically no one wants an SMG unless its the CSL model.

BMW also recently increased the price of the SMG pump to $3200 USD for parts alone so be aware of that. If you're looking for a daily driver there are much cheaper cars maintenance wise, and if you're looking for potential value increase look elsewhere because the SMG will always be holding you back. Most people that are interested in paying $20k for a 10+ year old car will want a no compromise spec.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-53...or-e46-m3.aspx

Also, cześć z Chicago!

Shorty Antenna/RPI Exhaust/ZHP Knob/Stickers
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
See if the SMG pump was replaced or repaired. Rear subframe issues so check to see if that was addressed.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

If it is, you better jump on it soon. I heard it might be going to auction, or getting dumped cheap.
Hah nope, Don't want to give away my source

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHoW View Post
It's SMG the value is basically half of what it should be because of that, basically no one wants an SMG unless its the CSL model.

BMW also recently increased the price of the SMG pump to $3200 USD for parts alone so be aware of that. If you're looking for a daily driver there are much cheaper cars maintenance wise, and if you're looking for potential value increase look elsewhere because the SMG will always be holding you back. Most people that are interested in paying $20k for a 10+ year old car will want a no compromise spec.

Also, cześć z Chicago!
Hej- jak leci

Yea, good point... although I'd be willing to wager the SMG would be fine for a while. It's high miles that usually causes it problems, not necessarily age as I understand it. I just love the package that the E46 M brings, and I'm pretty sure whichever car I choose will not be cheap maintenance wise! I was also thinking about a b8 S4 which is prone to water pump/t-stat failure...
E90 330i - Alpine White - 6MT - ZSP - 35% Llumar tint - OEM front splitters - Kerscher CF front lip - BMW CF performance trunk spoiler - matte black grilles - LED angel eyes - AA downpipes - AA tuned - MTech rear - charcoal delete - aFe Pro Dry S
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep

Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

The rear subframe mounts(on floor pan) are a serious issue that was most prevelant on high horse manual trans cars. It's an extensive repair requiring interior and suspension removal. If it has not been done already stay away.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

It's not a unicorn and it will probably cost you a lot beyond the initial purchase. Get something newer, or with less repair burden.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

.....lady drive.....!!!! Stay away!!! Lol

I'm in the market for an e46 as well and m3 gurus have warned me about the SMG gearbox. According to some guys it all depends on the abuse and the production date. The 2005 are better than the rest but doesn't mean it because it's 2005. Still finding out about this SMG "thing". Also the subframe is a big issue. If the car was drive without much acceleration throughout its life the subframe should be fine. But again, doesn't mean it's bulletproof.

Bottom line, it's a deal. Change the pump right away and check the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
TomHudson
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Sounds good to me. Just get the car checked out, then buy it!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by polskatomek
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

Quote:

Also, cześć z Chicago!
Hej- jak leci

Yea, good point... although I'd be willing to wager the SMG would be fine for a while. It's high miles that usually causes it problems, not necessarily age as I understand it. I just love the package that the E46 M brings, and I'm pretty sure whichever car I choose will not be cheap maintenance wise! I was also thinking about a b8 S4 which is prone to water pump/t-stat failure...
Ah, OK.

This is the one I was talking about.

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_25226644
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
It's not a unicorn and it will probably cost you a lot beyond the initial purchase. Get something newer, or with less repair burden.
My head says this ^

But my heart says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Sounds good to me. Just get the car checked out, then buy it!
:-)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

House of worries here, i'm sure you'll be fine, it nothing worst than most other BMWs.

Just consider it an auto that will need a rebuild eventually and have money set aside for it. It's like saying you wouldn't buy an E9x M3 because of rod bearings or trottle actuators.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
The rear subframe mounts(on floor pan) are a serious issue that was most prevelant on high horse manual trans cars. It's an extensive repair requiring interior and suspension removal. If it has not been done already stay away.
It's the rear floor that fails, right at the subframe mounting points as you mention. I've seen it live and in person on at least 10 E46s of all variants. I also saw it once on an E36/7 M Roadster.

Even if it does fail, BMW settled a class-action lawsuit which basically forces BMW to replace the rear floor regardless of age, mileage, etc, with zero cost to the car's owner. I am friendly with the GM at BMWs body shop here in West Central Florida.

Replacing a rear floor in a car may seem like a big job to the layperson, and it certainly isn't a small job, but it's something that most body shops do on a very regular basis.

For me, the SMG would be my biggest concern with that car, as others have mentioned. Best of luck to OP in your car search. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #14
08135IFL
Private
Rep

Drives: N54 135i Coupe

I heard all the concern about the SMG and ultimately just went with the N54 steptronic. A buddy of mine had an e46 vert with 170k miles when he sold it and never had a SMG issue.

I also had an AP1 s2000 with 75k red lined daily (from 30-75k) miles and never had any issue. not the diff, clutch, nothing. completely OEM and original 12 years later

so if it s a gem, I'd just go for it
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #15
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

OP, get a PPI and buy that car on auto trader. Looks like it is in pristine condition.

I feel like getting it to use as a winter beater lol.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #16
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

Here in Canada, when you purchase a BMW outside of warranty at a used car dealership, they have powertrain warranties at a reasonable price. Not sure if they would cover a 2003?

Does the E46 M3 require software change if you swap the SMG to a 6 speed?
An owner of pristine low, low mileage 2005 SMG told me if it was a manual, it be worth 10-15k more easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:03 AM   #17
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 3.0si

My brother used to own that car, check its origins and get back to me if you'd like. Same color combo, smg sticker with that scratch under it and the sirius radio holder on the dash. It has an oil leak that is not at all a cheap fix (unless they fixed it) and also has that smg overheating issue (there is some easy resistor fix for it).

Got to love the internet for these circumstances

Edit: lady driven?? That's a crock. We know the original owner it was definitely a guy, so was the second owner..

Last edited by E86Z; 01-05-2016 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #18
MeHoW
Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by polskatomek View Post

Hej- jak leci

Aren't B8 S4's the ones with the timing chain on the back of the engine right up against the firewall? And the timing chain guides wear out? And it costs a crazy $$$ to replace them because the engine has to be pulled basically?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Chain-Question

"The B8 S4 motor is the same in that the chains are in the back. That said I haven't heard of a single issue yet on the B8s. The B7s seemed to be better then the B6 as they revised parts in the timing system and I am assuming that carried over to the B8."

Maybe not.

Shorty Antenna/RPI Exhaust/ZHP Knob/Stickers
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Unicorns aren't real
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #20
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z View Post
My brother used to own that car, check its origins and get back to me if you'd like. Same color combo, smg sticker with that scratch under it and the sirius radio holder on the dash. It has an oil leak that is not at all a cheap fix (unless they fixed it) and also has that smg overheating issue (there is some easy resistor fix for it).

Got to love the internet for these circumstances

Edit: lady driven?? That's a crock. We know the original owner it was definitely a guy, so was the second owner..
Are you sure it's the car I'm talking about? It's in North Vancouver. Another poster put up a link of different car in Ottawa (where I used to live ironically)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #21
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
It's the rear floor that fails, right at the subframe mounting points as you mention. I've seen it live and in person on at least 10 E46s of all variants. I also saw it once on an E36/7 M Roadster.

Even if it does fail, BMW settled a class-action lawsuit which basically forces BMW to replace the rear floor regardless of age, mileage, etc, with zero cost to the car's owner. I am friendly with the GM at BMWs body shop here in West Central Florida.

Replacing a rear floor in a car may seem like a big job to the layperson, and it certainly isn't a small job, but it's something that most body shops do on a very regular basis.

For me, the SMG would be my biggest concern with that car, as others have mentioned. Best of luck to OP in your car search. Cheers.
Thanks and good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcowboy View Post
Here in Canada, when you purchase a BMW outside of warranty at a used car dealership, they have powertrain warranties at a reasonable price. Not sure if they would cover a 2003?

Does the E46 M3 require software change if you swap the SMG to a 6 speed?
An owner of pristine low, low mileage 2005 SMG told me if it was a manual, it be worth 10-15k more easily.
Yea... Most of those aftermarket warranties are pretty sketchy- I don't think I could hang my hat on one of them if I'm worried about reliability. They try to find any way to get out of reimbursing you if something needs repair, even if its supposedly "covered".
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #22
polskatomek
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Aren't B8 S4's the ones with the timing chain on the back of the engine right up against the firewall? And the timing chain guides wear out? And it costs a crazy $$$ to replace them because the engine has to be pulled basically?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Chain-Question

"The B8 S4 motor is the same in that the chains are in the back. That said I haven't heard of a single issue yet on the B8s. The B7s seemed to be better then the B6 as they revised parts in the timing system and I am assuming that carried over to the B8."

Maybe not.
Yea I've heard of a few b6/7 S4s needing an engine out timing chain guide/tensioners job done, but that was very specific to the 4.2 v8 and the preeminent wisdom of making crucial engine parts in plastic and sticking them behind the engine where nobody can get at them. This is definitely not an issue in the supercharged V6 b8 and there are some pretty high mileage 2010's around.
Appreciate 0