New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #23
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep

Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

With the i8 Spyder we will see some updates for the power plant?
It's a great DD, but not so many things in common with a real sport car at this moment
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #24
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
So true. Hate the merc screen. Looks cheap as hell. That said I wish the speedo and rev needles were kept. Perhaps as an option? My E9 csi coup as wonderfull metal needles would look great in modern cars
I suspect all those haters out there are having the same reaction as they had to the I drive system when it was introduced. This is world beating tech and I for one expect Audi and Mercedes will be followers of this new tech. What a pity so many critics of a technology that will change the driving experience for all of us.
      12-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #25
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Everyone needs to copy Audi's virtual cockpit. I got to mess around with it the other day. That is the way car infotainment should be done.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #26
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
A colleague attended a clinic for a future BMW in North America recently, and in regards to what they want most of all from the car this was top of the list.
As I have said customer demands drive the market forward at the expense of others.
Hopefully BMW will continue to take it as serious feedback, and offer it as a software update to NBT_Evo-equipped vehicles.

Peoples' reliance on iOS/Android continues to grow, and the (non) integration with cars causes obvious frustration. I do realize that iOS/Android essentially "changes" every few months, while the operating system that cars use needs have several years worth of stability underlying. But, it's just downright frustrating when I plug my iPhone into USB on a MY2016 BMW, and Pandora automatically opens and starts playing

I'm hoping Car Play integration will mitigate some of these frustrations. Give us Car Play and the Android equivalent over twirly-finger-motion-volume controls, any day.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #27
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Quote:
BMW AirTouch as well as iDrive Touch are the next stage for vehicle interfaces at BMW. I have the 730d at the moment and I can use Gesture Control without my eyes leaving the road. It is easy to master and simple to use.
Now I just want to know what exactly Gesture Control can do more/better than using buttons on the steering wheel for changing volume, take calls, switch tracks/radio stations etc.?

And with those not only the eyes don't have to leave the road, but additionally both hands can stay on the steering wheel...

I was in Frankfurt at the IAA this year and was able to test it out in multiple 7 series, for me it was slower and involved more interaction (waving) then the same action by pressing the button on the steering wheel.

As other people mentioned, I would order Android Auto/CarPlay support any day over Gesture Control or AirTouch.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #28
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M

Scott you disparage the current tech in the S-class and what is coming shortly in the E-class. Yet you fail to realize it is tech you can currently buy. While BMW is just letting people know what could maybe be in cars in the future. All while Mercedes and others are also working on future tech. Whether you like how the dual screens is implemented, is a moot point. Mercedes is ahead of the game.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #29
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
BMW The Ultimate Gesticulation Machine.

I look back fondly on my 3.0CS.

Hell, I look back fondly on my i8. The future is ridiculous for me, but I'm a dinosaur.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #30
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

From what I understand, Car Play won't be part of BMW's plans for at least the next few years because BMW is highly resistant to incorporating other makers' tech into its cars -- so much so that it won't capitulate to what Apple requires to make Car Play happen.

That's the crux of the issue, really: compatibility between BMW's proprietary software (i.e., iDrive) and second-party software. Add third-party software (i.e., any non-Apple app on iOS) and the problem expands exponentially because when, say, Spotify doesn't behave properly when it's updated by the app's developer; it's the app's issue, NOT iOS's issue. Bottom line: When you've got three developers making software products, and then constantly making 'improvements' to those existing products, almost completely independent of each other, total out-of-the-box compatibility ceases to become even a probability.

If consumer demand becomes such that BMW capitulates to Apple's requirements for Car Play to happen, great. But it will have to be BMW that capitulates, not Apple. Unlike BMW, Apple isn't in the business of meeting current consumer demands; it's in the business of predicting future consumer demands.

Last edited by Viffermike; 12-28-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #31
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
BMW The Ultimate Gesticulation Machine.

I look back fondly on my 3.0CS.

Hell, I look back fondly on my i8. The future is ridiculous for me, but I'm a dinosaur.
And let's be serious...most of my gesticulation is directed at my fellow 'motorists' and only involves the use of one finger at a time. I don't know if I can learn anything new in this regard.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #32
Peschiera
Rep

Drives: BMW 5 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
Now I just want to know what exactly Gesture Control can do more/better than using buttons on the steering wheel for changing volume, take calls, switch tracks/radio stations etc.?

And with those not only the eyes don't have to leave the road, but additionally both hands can stay on the steering wheel...

I was in Frankfurt at the IAA this year and was able to test it out in multiple 7 series, for me it was slower and involved more interaction (waving) then the same action by pressing the button on the steering wheel.

As other people mentioned, I would order Android Auto/CarPlay support any day over Gesture Control or AirTouch.
You should look a bit into the very near future when your car will drive more often autonomously. Then you won't have your hands on the steering wheel all the time, but just somewhere.
You should also consider the expected improvements to come in the area of gesture recognition which mean you won't have to bring your hand into a certain space before your gestures can be recognised. Instead you'll be able to use your gestures whereever your hand actually is.

With regard to Anddroid Auto/Car play: well they might be good for cheaper models with only one screen. But in the near future you'll have multiple screens which will also support augmented reality. What kind of support do you expect then from your Android or iOS? No support at all. There will be already limitations in connecting HUDs to those external Operating Systems, let alone more sophisticated concepts.

Last edited by Peschiera; 12-28-2015 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #33
Peschiera
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Scott you disparage the current tech in the S-class and what is coming shortly in the E-class. Yet you fail to realize it is tech you can currently buy. While BMW is just letting people know what could maybe be in cars in the future. All while Mercedes and others are also working on future tech. Whether you like how the dual screens is implemented, is a moot point. Mercedes is ahead of the game.
With regard to Infotainment, Connectivity and User Interface: can you please tell us where Mercedes is ahead of BMW? Mercedes is actually just playing catch up in that area.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #34
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Mercedes Command is antiquated compared to BMWs iDrive.
The iDrive interface responds faster and is simpler to use than command.
This is a well known fact and has been consistently posted with tech circles.
You can have BMW Gesture Control in the new 7er and again later this year it will be introduced on the next 5er. As well as BMW Touch Screen.
Then you will see it in the next BMW X3.
      12-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #35
Peschiera
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Everyone needs to copy Audi's virtual cockpit. I got to mess around with it the other day. That is the way car infotainment should be done.
Seriously?
First of all, it is not from Audi since other car makers had it before. Actually the French Car makers are the inventors of it. Audi is the only company that dares to name it an innovation because of the lack of any innovations in the recent years. Even BMW was ahead of Audi with its Multi Functional Displays. Audis Virtual Cockpit is nothing but that Multi Functional Display, just with some additional information.

Here we are talking about compltely new Interface Concepts and not displaying of a navigation screen behind the steering wheel. The innovative concepts to come are more augmented reality and gesture control, but not displaying relevant information where you can't use it while you are driving or when you need it.

And this is exactly the area in which BMW has always been and is still ahead of the competition, usually at least one car generation.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #36
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:

You have to remember that one these are show cars so the full electrical system is disabled. Secondly the sensor is placed a distance from the rear view mirror,
Depending on where your arm is, whether placed back towards your seat? The field only senses minimal sequences of the gesture so it becomes sluggish.
If your arm is stretched out it is fully picked up by the sensor as long as your finger is within the field. Once you get used to it it is very simple. My children call it the "Jedi" car.
This technology will progress just like iDrive in the future. Its the next big thing just as iDrive was in 2001. New technology becomes less complex and more accessible. In ten years Gesture control will be available on any vehicle.
      12-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #37
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peschiera View Post
You should look a bit into the very near future when your car will drive more often autonomously.
Well I hope not my car

Whats the benefit of buying a BMW then?
I imagine that all other car manufacturers will have the tech to drive autonomously according to the speed limits at all times.

If I would have wanted to have a car to simply be able to drive from A to B I could have saved a ton of money...

I get what you are saying, its apparently the future for all OEMs, but in my opinion BMW should also spend some $ on developing real innovative technology instead of just rushing something like the gesture controls just to have something "new" for their 7 series release which the S class doesn't have.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #38
YungDro
Major
Rep

Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #39
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well I hope not my car

I imagine that all other car manufacturers will have the tech to drive autonomously according to the speed limits at all times.

If I would have wanted to have a car to simply be able to drive from A to B I could have saved a ton of money...

I get what you are saying, its apparently the future for all OEMs, but in my opinion BMW should also spend some $ on developing real innovative technology instead of just rushing something like the gesture controls just to have something "new" for their 7 series release which the S class doesn't have.
At BMW Autonomous Driving is seen as more of an assistant. Something which as an example can take over in the event of a crash or collision. Some people make the mistakes of braking when they should be steering in regards to control. Having such a system that takes over would result in less panicked drivers who sometimes put into effect the wrong motion. However Autonomous driving facilities is no exception for the driver. The driver is still accountable and this is the message some other manufacturers must communicate rather than educate that this is your personal chauffeur.
      12-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #40
Peschiera
Rep

Quote:
Well I hope not my car

Well I intentionally wrote the cars would drive more often autonomously, not all the time. As Scott already indicated, the new features will remain assistants to the driver, at least in the next 10 or more years. And gesture control exactly support this.

I don't think that BMW is 'rushing' into new techs. They are not following, but defining new concepts which I think is something a real premium car maker should do.

At least to me, the new gesture concepts make sense in combination with all other new stuff. I respect that you don't see any use in it. Actually this is the reason why BMW offers all available user interface concepts at the same time, so everyone can use whatever he/she likes, depending on the use case.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #41
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
I wouldn't say Mercedes is ahead of the game anymore than I would say BMW is (though I might say BMW might have a slight edge in the tech department). This is a huge misconception. When Mercedes released new features that the next-gen E-Class will have, a lot of people thought they were the first - not true. Most of that stuff the G11 7-Series has and was already used in the Rolls Royce like GPS-aided transmission, sensors to view the road and adjust the suspension/dampers, and other various cloud features. That's not to say Mercedes is lacking, I'm sure both BMW and Mercedes has features the other doesn't but if we're strictly talking about tech, I will always look for BMW to implement it first before Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #42
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M

Quote:
Mercedes Command is antiquated compared to BMWs iDrive.
The iDrive interface responds faster and is simpler to use than command.
This is a well known fact and has been consistently posted with tech circles.
You can have BMW Gesture Control in the new 7er and again later this year it will be introduced on the next 5er. As well as BMW Touch Screen.
Then you will see it in the next BMW X3.
Gesture control will be in the E-class as well. Going by the 7 series, the dual screen infotainment in the E class is going to be leagues better than 5-series. Touch screen...really. Is that what you are touting going into 2016. None of the tech in this article is anywhere near any new BMW models.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #43
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Gesture control will be in the E-class as well. Going by the 7 series, the dual screen infotainment in the E class is going to be leagues better than 5-series. Touch screen...really. Is that what you are touting going into 2016. None of the tech in this article is anywhere near any new BMW models.
Gesture Control will be available on the 5er first.
As the option will be introduced on the S-Klasse MOPF (MB's term for LCi) first as well as the new interface then it will be offered on the new E-Klasse.
So like its design the E-Klasse is in the middle between the C-Klasse and the S-Klasse. Not that there is anything wrong with that as it balances out the E-Klasse's personal trait of Elegance and Luxury against the 5ers more Sporting Dynasm.

Touch Screen is actually globally the preferred interface. We use it in our phones and we use tablets as well with the interface it is the one that is most familiar. It was only a matter of time before it was introduced to cars as is any kind of technology. Conceptual ideas eventually become a reality. The new 5er will receive Touch Screen and of course BMW Gesture Control.

Its all a matter of aesthetics. But I think the BMW design of a larger central upright flat screen emphasises the more space and architectural surface flow of the actual dashboard itself. Where of course the centre console floats and is angled right at the driver.
Mercedes does not provide any surfaces its all slab fronted,beautifully finished but there is no ledge or surface unlike the BMW.

In regards to the Article. The main point was that this is the next stage of progression for Gesture Control which is already available in the new BMW 7er.
BMW Air Touch is the next step of progress. Its a conceptual idea but the next phase of gesture control. And it will become a reality sooner than you may think.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 12-28-2015 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #44
Peschiera
Rep

Quote:
Who says the next E Class will have gesture control? Please quote a person or a site claiming this.

And putting two big screens side by side makes a new concept to you? Are you joking? What is the difference between this and the two screens available in every BMW right now (multi-functional tachometer and central display)?
The unique thing about 7 series is not only the gesture control, but also the support of all kinds of input methods: voice control, touch screen, iDrive, touchpad on the iDrive, gesture control and classic buttons. And all is perfectly and most important seamlessly integrated with each other. This is the area BMW is years ahead of the competition.

Again, tell us where is Mercedes ahead of BMW? Note: a big screen is not a user interface concept!
Appreciate 0