New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #67
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I saw that table, but didn't use it because it would be wrong to use it, since:

Quote:
The density of seasoned & dry wood are indicated in the table below:
But hey, continue to be wrong. It seems to be a pattern for you.

Quote:
I will contact the magazines in question and seek the news report.
Good luck with that.

Quote:
Now...get to your homework. And the mere fact that you did not include the density of the species of wood in question tell me that you are not a thorough problem solver. It would be a basic variable and necessary to get the, 'answer' you claimed.

Cheers-mk
I did, in fact, use tree density. I took an average of densities of healthy, non-decayed or dying, trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
I just came into this thread and by all means, each party to this argument has made himself look thoroughly like an idiot. Congrats guys.
You are, of course, correct. But I'm having fun watching this train wreck.
      01-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #68
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Generally running in the 2nd to highest gear will bypass the limiter. I did this in my M6 prior to having the car derestricted.

Cheers-mk
I thought that ended with the E9x M cars?

If not, here's what our theoretical top speeds are by gear, which do not take into account aerodynamics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #69
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
I saw that table, but didn't use it because it would be wrong to use it, since:

But hey, continue to be wrong. It seems to be a pattern for you.

Good luck with that.

I did, in fact, use tree density. I took an average of densities of healthy, non-decayed or dying, trees.
Here is the diff between us. I made a mistake and posted the wrong link. My error. Simply stated.

I am not wrong about your equation because it did not include the variable.

And on the magazine report...we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #70
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I thought that ended with the E9x M cars?

If not, here's what our theoretical top speeds are by gear, which do not take into account aerodynamics:
Good information.
I am uncertain on the F-Series cars. If someone has one that they have taken above the 155 limit, please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #71
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

As far as the original story about that 928, a few things stood out:

1) You're asking the reader to believe that the car not only did all these things (flew through the air, taking out several trees including an 18 inch maple), but the occupant (he was just an occupant a the point things went south) SURVIVED the crash.

2) No stock 928 went close to 200 MPH, the fastest topped out around 170 and most models would do closer to 150. So, we either have to believe that the car had extremely non-trivial mods to hit 200, or the story is embellished on this point.

3) Maple is a really stout wood, up there with oak, and 18 inches of it is a lot stronger than the steel they use in that car. It's remotely possible that a car could take out a tree like this with a strong enough engine block enough velocity, but more likely that the tree would just take out the car. Go look at pictures of car vs tree on GIS if you doubt the holding strength of wood in a crash.

The parts about the car flying through the air and taking out smaller trees is plausible, although unusual. This sounds like a story that may have happened, but this retelling as printed is at the least an embellishment.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #72
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
As far as the original story about that 928, a few things stood out:

1) You're asking the reader to believe that the car not only did all these things (flew through the air, taking out several trees including an 18 inch maple), but the occupant (he was just an occupant a the point things went south) SURVIVED the crash.

2) No stock 928 went close to 200 MPH, the fastest topped out around 170 and most models would do closer to 150. So, we either have to believe that the car had extremely non-trivial mods to hit 200, or the story is embellished on this point.

3) Maple is a really stout wood, up there with oak, and 18 inches of it is a lot stronger than the steel they use in that car. It's remotely possible that a car could take out a tree like this with a strong enough engine block enough velocity, but more likely that the tree would just take out the car. Go look at pictures of car vs tree on GIS if you doubt the holding strength of wood in a crash.

The parts about the car flying through the air and taking out smaller trees is plausible, although unusual. This sounds like a story that may have happened, but this retelling as printed is at the least an embellishment.
I am reporting what I read in C and D or R and T, and posted the abbreviated copy from Rennlist.
I agree that the people on the scene probably are not very reliable witnesses, especially regarding the visual reporting of the speed of a vehicle.
I agree that the top speed of a stock 928 is well short of 200 mph (About 155 mph).

What we don't know: Was the car modded? Were the trees healthy? What was the actual velocity the car was traveling? (This is the short list of what we don't know)

Without this information we only have the report.

I know what I read long ago. I referenced it using the Rennlist posting. I will find the original article.

Thanks for your reasoned response.
Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #73
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I just came into this thread and by all means, each party to this argument has made himself look thoroughly like an idiot. Congrats guys.
With this post I thought you were the smart guy in the room reminding us how silly we are being, but then you climbed on board yourself a few posts later with you post questioning the logic of the maple tree story. Welcome to the club. I don't think you are an idiot by the way. I just think its hard to sit back and watch nonsense being spewed while referencing sources that cannot be produced and then blame those questioning the highly implausible story/myth.

Congrats to you too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #74
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
With this post I thought you were the smart guy in the room reminding us how silly we are being, but then you climbed on board yourself a few posts later with you post questioning the logic of the maple tree story. Welcome to the club. I don't think you are an idiot by the way. I just think its hard to sit back and watch nonsense being spewed while referencing sources that cannot be produced and then blame those questioning the highly implausible story/myth.

Congrats to you too.
Well, I'm not arguing with anyone. These posts are just my observations--the latter of which, by the way, remains the only constructive analysis of the 928 story in this entire thread. The other guys got into an argument and any constructive discussion on the 928 story was dropped.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #75
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Where exactly does this "speed limiting" occur? At the VPC when your car comes over from Germany?! Sorry if I didn't read through the whole thread, but I took European Delivery and went beyond 155mph on the Autobahn on more than one occasion...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #76
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Right on the money! That is the reason. All of the German manufactures have this agreement, except for Porsche, Alpina and Ruf.

BMW's actually have three levels of speed limiters...

cars with M-Sport option = 250 kph
cars w/o M-Sport option = 210 kph

///M cars = 265 kph

Note: for ///M cars, IF you go to one of BMW's Driving Schools, after you graduate, you get a code/letter, that any BMW dealer can update your engine SW... this will increase your top speed to 280 kph.

2nd Note:for non M cars... IF you have M-Sport you will also have a little known option code #840 "speed synconation"

3rd Note: what your speedo reports may or may not be your actual real speed. Its a German law that all cars speedo's MUST report a higher speed that you are actually traveling at... so when you are speeding YOU know you are doing so! Also the Polizei always take 3kph off your offense, but that's another story.

I took this pic of my 135i when I first bought it. While the speedo reported 250 kph, my Navi(TomTom) said I was traveling at "only" 240 kph. After I purchased a German SW tune... my V-Max was "open" and that fastest I have been able to "see" on my Navi(TomTom) was a 285 kph. I've been told that a "tuned" 135i should be able to do a "real" 194 kph. But that's just too damn fast for my liking.
Attachment 1330458

Also... while the "gentleman's agreement" is set at 250 kph... for many years MB and Audi have been "fudging" with that limit... for AMG and RS cars... they seem to have a 265 to 275 kph top speed limiter.

Most tuning companies over here offer SW that codes out that speed limiter. But its not cheap at around 1K euros. Most aftermarket tunes cost roughly the same price(or more!)... so most Germans just buy a reputable tune for ~1K euros that also includes no V-Max limiter(open).

Dackel
Taking pics at this speed not safe mate...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #77
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep

I just can't load the vid of this guy behind dragged from the burning car with one leg.

Just be careful out there.
Attached Images

Last edited by DC-T; 01-03-2016 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #78
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #79
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
I just can't load the vid of this guy behind dragged from the burning car with one leg.

Just be careful out there.
With pants that tight no wonder he got into an accident. How the hell are you supposed to move from the gas pedal to the break pedal fast enough?!?!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #80
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

I think every car should have a speed limiter. Even those high end exotics. It's stupid for a car to go 200 mph on public roads.
Appreciate 2