New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Sim Racing

10-16-2020, 12:16 AM   #1
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Sim vs. Real Driving - Disconnect when not in Race Track?

Hey guys,

So I have a modest setup with a seat and Logitech g920 setup. I actually use my Oculus Quest 2 for a VR setup and it really feels great and makes the experience great. When I am racing an F1 car on a track like SPA, I get sucked in and feel the adrenaline in my body. YET, when I drive a normal track, like a canyon or something (I have Assetto Corsa and I added the Los Angeles Crest Highway Canyons as a track), I don't get that same sensation. I really started Sim racing because I wanted to drive the tracks that I really drive in real life. I also drive my F80 on the Los Angeles Canyons like once a month. Yet in the sim game, its not the same immersion? Thoughts?

Julian.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
I'm not sure what you are saying. I don't think anyone has the expectation that sim racing, even with the most expensive rig, is going to give your the immersion that driving at the real track will give you.

VR has gotten very good, but you still can't feel the car moving at the "seat of your pants" like the real thing.

So not sure what you are expecting. Or are you not happy with the digital representation of the tracks you know? Not much to do except try a different game.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
Murf993
Major
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Nerd
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Have you ever shot a gun vs a first person shooter simulation? I guess that's what the comparison is sort of like.

Driving simulators are good for teaching/practicing some basic car control skills to see what the car does but outside of that, I'd say they are hardly the same and not close at all. Mostly entertainment while learning the track layout would be beneficial to transferring over to a real car/track. I'm super curious to see the LA canyons in a game though. Didn't know that was available!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Kilabyte3942.00
      10-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Hey guys,

So I have a modest setup with a seat and Logitech g920 setup. I actually use my Oculus Quest 2 for a VR setup and it really feels great and makes the experience great. When I am racing an F1 car on a track like SPA, I get sucked in and feel the adrenaline in my body. YET, when I drive a normal track, like a canyon or something (I have Assetto Corsa and I added the Los Angeles Crest Highway Canyons as a track), I don't get that same sensation. I really started Sim racing because I wanted to drive the tracks that I really drive in real life. I also drive my F80 on the Los Angeles Canyons like once a month. Yet in the sim game, its not the same immersion? Thoughts?

Julian.

Are you calling a public 2-lane highway as a track? Comparing GT cars to F1 cars?

Have you ever done an actual HPDE or track day?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Are you calling a public 2-lane highway as a track? Comparing GT cars to F1 cars?

Have you ever done an actual HPDE or track day?
I was wondering the exact same things
Appreciate 1
GKay28.50
      10-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Driving on a track is night and day different in terms of exhilaration to a simulator. Driving on the street is not at all as exciting as the track. If it is you are almost certainly doing something illegal, and likely very unsafe for yourself or others.

If you haven't before, try track days, BMW CCA generally has great instruction, and excellent value.
Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00
      11-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats View Post
Driving on a track is night and day different in terms of exhilaration to a simulator. Driving on the street is not at all as exciting as the track. If it is you are almost certainly doing something illegal, and likely very unsafe for yourself or others.

If you haven't before, try track days, BMW CCA generally has great instruction, and excellent value.
I'm not even that fast, but I've taken people for rides at track days that "super fast street guys" and they shit their pants as they go stomping the floor for the brakes and you are still on the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the late response and happy thanksgiving y'all!

I actually do quite a bit of HPDE events with my F80 along with monthly canyon drives. I guess my main disconnect is the sensation of speed.

Recently my VR setup got a new 90mhz upgrade and it actually helped a lot with the sensation of speed and smoothness of the graphics. I just think I had a lot of expectations when setting up my sim rig.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Sorry for the late response and happy thanksgiving y'all!

I actually do quite a bit of HPDE events with my F80 along with monthly canyon drives. I guess my main disconnect is the sensation of speed.

Recently my VR setup got a new 90mhz upgrade and it actually helped a lot with the sensation of speed and smoothness of the graphics. I just think I had a lot of expectations when setting up my sim rig.
did you get the tensioning seatbelts, wind blower, and motion? if you really need to sense speed. The problem with that is that will pay for a lot of track days also.
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1363.50
      11-28-2020, 12:01 AM   #11
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
did you get the tensioning seatbelts, wind blower, and motion? if you really need to sense speed. The problem with that is that will pay for a lot of track days also.
Haha touche.

Regardless, the sim racing is a fun way to get some driving in during the pandemic.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #12
Mospeada
Private
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M

cannot say enough good things about sim racing. not only i'll learn the track that i have not been to and never lose that feel during off season. in fact i go faster and have far more sensitivty when i'm driving in real life. i have to tell myself i'm not driving a race car and calm down at the track (rubber bushings in my F80 vs. bolt on race car, etc.)

racing adds another level. like a whole new level . HPDE is easy compared to racing. it's incredibly frustrating and incredibly unlucky time to time but you will learn to make almost no mistakes and still manage to go aster. the racecraft will carry over to real life. it is highly beneficial. it's a must for track junkies and even the pros will swear by them.
Appreciate 2
MassNerd171.00
tszene137.00
      08-11-2021, 12:07 AM   #13
bella.740
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2012 bmw 740li (n54)

Funny how Hamilton went back to the simulator after verstappen became a threat. It is important until you reach a pro level.
Appreciate 0