New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #7481
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
A 22 year old NYPD rookie shot himself in the head last night at his home. His father, a retired Sgt, found him. He’s from a family of NYPD. In addition to his father, His 2 uncles and his grandfather are/were also on the job. Two of which were high up. The grandfather is a neighbor. I know the grandfather, father and uncles. My nieces and nephews know the kid.

I have high regard for LEO but I can’t imagine anyone wanting their kids to join the force right now. My heart goes out to the family. How do you go on? Rest in peace.

That is incredibly sad. Has anything been revealed about what may have been weighing on him? When somebody commits suicide it always causes me to dive deep into thought because I couldn't ever bring myself to do that. A person has to be in a very dark place to even entertain the thought. My condolences go out to his family.

Many of my partners have talked their children out of following the law enforcement path simply because it's just not worth it anymore. I love the field; I couldn't see myself doing anything else (...and this was my career goal), but society has declined so significantly that politicians/law makers have made it clear catching the bad guy is not their priority.
Appreciate 4
dradernh4352.00
Dino GT35131.50
Soul_Glo13343.50
      03-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #7482
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
With the new paper plates requirement, is there still a need for the dealer to fold up my temp registration and TRY to stick it to the window? I was less than 2 weeks into my new truck when the sticker started slopping off. Since they didn't pay me to advertise their dealership, I removed the sticker pouch and put the registration in my glove box with my insurance.

How long is it taking DMV to issue plates these days?
The timeframe is still a couple of months. If you decide to opt for a personalized plate, the current timeframe is approximately 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 05:33 PM   #7483
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That is incredibly sad. Has anything been revealed about what may have been weighing on him? When somebody commits suicide it always causes me to dive deep into thought because I couldn't ever bring myself to do that. A person has to be in a very dark place to even entertain the thought. My condolences go out to his family.

Many of my partners have talked their children out of following the law enforcement path simply because it's just not worth it anymore. I love the field; I couldn't see myself doing anything else (...and this was my career goal), but society has declined so significantly that politicians/law makers have made it clear catching the bad guy is not their priority.
He was involved in a fatal shooting of a perp late last year. 911 was called and as the patrol car pulled up, perp opened fire. He and his partner returned fire killing perp. Of course perps family said not my boy, excessive force, bla, bla, bla. Internal Affairs investigation…. His identity has not yet been released but my sister saw brass at grandfather’s house and my niece confirmed his identity from IG posts. I imagine the scrutiny had something to do with it but that is speculation. So sad regardless.
      03-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #7484
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
He was involved in a fatal shooting of a perp late last year. 911 was called and as the patrol car pulled up, perp opened fire. He and his partner returned fire killing perp. Of course perps family said not my boy, excessive force, bla, bla, bla. Internal Affairs investigation…. His identity has not yet been released but my sister saw brass at grandfather’s house and my niece confirmed his identity from IG posts. I imagine the scrutiny had something to do with it but that is speculation. So sad regardless.
That is incredibly unfortunate. The pressure likely tipped him over the edge. The family members of those who commit criminal acts never acknowledge that the wrongdoings of the deceased led to their untimely death(s). It's always the fault of law enforcement.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15689.50
Dino GT35131.50
      03-02-2023, 05:58 PM   #7485
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
That is incredibly unfortunate. The pressure likely tipped him over the edge. The family members of those who commit criminal acts never acknowledge that the wrongdoings of the deceased led to their untimely death(s). It's always the fault of law enforcement.
It’s heartbreaking. 22 years old. He was a baby. I just hope he was doing what HE wanted to do being a police officer and not following in family footsteps because he thought he had to.
Dino GT35131.50
Soul_Glo13343.50
      03-02-2023, 06:51 PM   #7486
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

I just want to add that vilifying officers and blaming them for everything makes people not want to do the job. When you create a lack of desire to serve, you end up with departments that become really desperate and lower the hiring standards. When you combine desperation with lower standards, and you start hiring felons (...like Tennessee did because they couldn't get anybody to apply for the job), you get problematic officers like the five black officers caught up in the recent controversy. No process is fool-proof and bad people always slip through, but more of them slip through when you become desperate.
Appreciate 6
dradernh4352.00
Buug95917177.00
cmyx6go15689.50
mahalom3163.00
BMWGUYinCO4121.50
      03-03-2023, 01:23 AM   #7487
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
I just want to add that vilifying officers and blaming them for everything makes people not want to do the job. When you create a lack of desire to serve, you end up with departments that become really desperate and lower the hiring standards. When you combine desperation with lower standards, and you start hiring felons (...like Tennessee did because they couldn't get anybody to apply for the job), you get problematic officers like the five black officers caught up in the recent controversy. No process is fool-proof and bad people always slip through, but more of them slip through when you become desperate.
I'm happy to vilify cops who abuse their position and power we accord our police. Problem is many want to vilify ALL cops for the actions of a few.

And I wonder these days how we get anyone to join the force. I get it people already in getting closer to retirement pensions but why would someone with no skin in the game choose that profession the way it's treated today.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan24980.50
Dino GT35131.50
cmyx6go15689.50
Buug95917177.00
      03-04-2023, 12:04 AM   #7488
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

The chase today was bananas. That guy let it all hang out there, shooting rifle rounds at law enforcement and all. ‘Tis California!!!!

P.S. There’s a new development. Apparently the man killed during the beating by the five Tennessee Officers was sleeping with an ex-girlfriend of one of the involved parties. Such a stupid reason to end a life and ruin your career.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      03-04-2023, 01:27 AM   #7489
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

One of my employees, a nurse at my clinic. Came in the other day and showed me bruises on her wrists and forearms. She said she couldn’t complete the shift as she was in pain. I arranged for another nurse to accompany her to her mom’s place as she didn’t want to go home. When I asked if her partner did it she sobbed. I’m in a moral dilemma. How far do I get involved in her business? Is this something I should file a report on? I don’t want to make things worse for her. Then I don’t want him to get away with it either.

Edit. I’m not her immediate boss. The practice manager is. Who reports into a regional manager. I own the group of practices and the regional reports into me. The more I think about it the more it’s one for the practice manager to monitor. Any thoughts still welcome.

DV seems to be a trend right now at work and with friends! 🤦🏽‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:57 AM   #7490
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
One of my employees, a nurse at my clinic. Came in the other day and showed me bruises on her wrists and forearms. She said she couldn’t complete the shift as she was in pain. I arranged for another nurse to accompany her to her mom’s place as she didn’t want to go home. When I asked if her partner did it she sobbed. I’m in a moral dilemma. How far do I get involved in her business? Is this something I should file a report on? I don’t want to make things worse for her. Then I don’t want him to get away with it either.

Edit. I’m not her immediate boss. The practice manager is. Who reports into a regional manager. I own the group of practices and the regional reports into me. The more I think about it the more it’s one for the practice manager to monitor. Any thoughts still welcome.

DV seems to be a trend right now at work and with friends! ����
I would not get involved. This isn't a mandated reporter type of situation and you don't know what kind of environment she is currently living in (..and the extent of the romantic partner's behavior, willingness to become more violent, etc.). You also do not want to potentially put yourself in the crosshairs. My advice is to offer your support and make yourself available should she decide to reach out for help. At the end of the day, until we, as law enforcement, have a confirmed victim (..who is willing to come forward, testify, etc.), we don't have a crime (...even though it may seem there is evidence of abuse).

P.S. You are also only aware of one side of the story. I have investigated situations where the woman was the dominant aggressor or who regularly was the initiator of the abuse.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-04-2023 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13343.50
      03-04-2023, 03:23 AM   #7491
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

Quote:
I would not get involved. This isn't a mandated reporter type of situation and you don't know what kind of environment she is currently living in (..and the extent of the romantic partner's behavior, willingness to become more violent, etc.). You also do not want to potentially put yourself in the crosshairs. My advice is to offer your support and make yourself available should she decide to reach out for help. At the end of the day, until we, as law enforcement, have a confirmed victim (..who is willing to come forward, testify, etc.), we don't have a crime (...even though it may seem there is evidence of abuse).

P.S. You are also only aware of one side of the story. I have investigated situations where the woman was the dominant aggressor or who regularly was the initiator of the abuse.
That’s what my gut says too. Yes, I recall the side-story. Have a blessed day brother.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      03-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #7492
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I just don’t understand (thank you, Lord) this desire to hurt a woman, your spouse or otherwise. There are a few males I’d like to beat a bit, because of actions they continue to take. And I will defend my castle.
Never once, despite my raging frustration, was bodily harm ever an option
      03-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #7493
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I just don’t understand (thank you, Lord) this desire to hurt a woman, your spouse or otherwise. There are a few males I’d like to beat a bit, because of actions they continue to take. And I will defend my castle.
Proverbs 21:9 might provide an insight.

No, I don't beat my wife of 46+ years, but I sometimes I wish I had a rooftop hideaway.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 03:43 PM   #7494
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Oh this was fun!

I was monitoring traffic at an intersection for 22450(a) CVC violations when I heard screeching tires in the distance. I crept into the mall parking lot and observed a silver '98 Honda Civic HX with milk crates under the two rear tires performing donuts. I lit them up and had every right to tow that car, arrest the driver and make the three passengers walk home. Fortunately I'm in a good mood and I'm tired, so I let them off with a warning for 23109(a) CVC.
Mall parking lots are private property. Does the CVC authorize the police to work all private property or does each property owner have to have an agreement with the local LEOs?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:10 PM   #7495
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
To be fair, it is not always the man committing the physical abuse and often the woman knows the right words to say to force an arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Mall parking lots are private property. Does the CVC authorize the police to work all private property or does each property owner have to have an agreement with the local LEOs?
It is a property owner agreement. If it is explicitly posted that the CVC is enforced on the property, everything in the code applies. Many mall parking lots authorize CVC enforcement so vehicles can be towed.
Appreciate 1
Fly320s1557.00
      03-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #7496
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
To be fair, it is not always the man committing the physical abuse and often the woman knows the right words to say to force an arrest.

It is a property owner agreement. If it is explicitly posted that the CVC is enforced on the property, everything in the code applies. Many mall parking lots authorize CVC enforcement so vehicles can be towed.
Today I learned. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24980.50
      03-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #7497
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Today I learned. Thanks for the info.
Any time! Now you'll enter parking lots and begin to notice the signs attached to light poles, etc. mentioning the CVC is enforced on the premises. It'll be like a whole new world.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 06:18 PM   #7498
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Any time! Now you'll enter parking lots and begin to notice the signs attached to light poles, etc. mentioning the CVC is enforced on the premises. It'll be like a whole new world.
I don't get to the CA much these days, and I drive there even less.

I do wonder if the signs around here that say "Police take notice" have a similar law enforcement effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 07:47 PM   #7499
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I don't get to the CA much these days, and I drive there even less.

I do wonder if the signs around here that say "Police take notice" have a similar law enforcement effect.
It's possible. I would expect it to be explicit, but that's only because California is the legislate-you-to-death state.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #7500
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Just out of curiosity - how do you classify this kind of young person? Someone who has grown up in the system and belongs there? Or someone who needs adult intervention and therapy/rehab/anger management?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:38 PM   #7501
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Murf the Surf

Have a Canadian question - those yellow speed limit signs on onramps and offramps that are marked say 40km/h or 60km/h....someone once told me that the yellow means they aren't enforceable like the white background speed limit signs on roadways / highways.

I'm a little suspect of that explanation, but admittedly, the suggested speed limits are ridiculously low so maybe there is some truth to it?
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2023, 04:59 PM   #7502
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Just out of curiosity - how do you classify this kind of young person? Someone who has grown up in the system and belongs there? Or someone who needs adult intervention and therapy/rehab/anger management?

I applaud the officers and how they handled this situation with this young man. He obviously has some severe anger issues and needs some help. Much respect to the officers .