New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-07-2023, 12:20 PM   #7349
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Are there plans to go electric in future?
Imagining a pursuit vehicle that can catch perps etc.
With Tesla Plad reaching 60 in 2 seconds... I was reading about how many officers are not trained to drive with high acceleration such as Tesla level. Neither is the public for that matter. More and more civilians are trying to adapt to faster drivers. Whether they are crossing the street or driving a car. Speed is the number one killer on the roads. I wonder if there will be a decrease in speeding tickets if vehicles are not upgraded and not able to keep up. On the flip side it could have huge benefits if police went electric first. Hope that makes sense.
More and more EV vehicles are becoming available and within reach of unskilled and careless drivers. I have a blind friend and he really struggles with ‘silent killers’ aka EV.
I know a few departments in California have a couple of EV's in the fleet but I don't see them being used as regular patrol vehicles anytime soon. Police patrol vehicles have high demands on the heat & AC along with all the ancillary electrical equipment, plus lots of hard acceleration I suspect the battery life would be challenged lasting a 12 hour shift and then the time to recharge the fleet during shift change would create a number of challenges. I could be way off though, but this is what my experience and common sense would tell me for the near future anyway.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #7350
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I know a few departments in California have a couple of EV's in the fleet but I don't see them being used as regular patrol vehicles anytime soon. Police patrol vehicles have high demands on the heat & AC along with all the ancillary electrical equipment, plus lots of hard acceleration I suspect the battery life would be challenged lasting a 12 hour shift and then the time to recharge the fleet during shift change would create a number of challenges. I could be way off though, but this is what my experience and common sense would tell me for the near future anyway.
Thank you sir. The mind wonders if crime will rise. If people can getaway quicker.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2023, 01:14 PM   #7351
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you sir. The mind wonders if crime will rise. If people can getaway quicker.
It's already increasing in certain party-dominate cities due to lack of enforcement & prosecution.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #7352
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:
Are there plans to go electric in future?
Imagining a pursuit vehicle that can catch perps etc.
With Tesla Plad reaching 60 in 2 seconds... I was reading about how many officers are not trained to drive with high acceleration such as Tesla level. Neither is the public for that matter. More and more civilians are trying to adapt to faster drivers. Whether they are crossing the street or driving a car. Speed is the number one killer on the roads. I wonder if there will be a decrease in speeding tickets if vehicles are not upgraded and not able to keep up. On the flip side it could have huge benefits if police went electric first. Hope that makes sense.
More and more EV vehicles are becoming available and within reach of unskilled and careless drivers. I have a blind friend and he really struggles with 'silent killers' aka EV.
You're spot on. Some cars run for longer than 24 hours straight. There's no way we can go EV.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-08-2023, 03:07 PM   #7353
Ramlimited4500
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW x3m

Hi everyone, I was just glancing thru this forum all 335 pages!!
The comment made before this one or two. One thing I have learned over my years of driving is that police cars are not fast cars even the newer patrol units (Ford explorer) but what makes them fast is the lights and sirens. Most patrol cars are/were only making 250 horses that’s all and they weighed about 4000-4200 pounds depending on the driver.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      01-08-2023, 03:10 PM   #7354
Ramlimited4500
Private
Rep

Quote:
That is true, people will think they can get away faster but sooner then later the electric cars will tell on you☺️ And all it takes is for one criminal to get caught and be told by their public defender “Sir your Tesla puts you at the scene of the crime and whambam Tesla cam has your submission”
Yes there will be a spike in the beginning but once everyone realizes that you can’t commit a crime and jump in a e-car and go because they are quick. Law enforcement will have tools in the near by future to stop e-cars. One push of a button.

Last edited by Ramlimited4500; 01-08-2023 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-08-2023, 06:00 PM   #7355
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlimited4500 View Post
Hi everyone, I was just glancing thru this forum all 335 pages!!
The comment made before this one or two. One thing I have learned over my years of driving is that police cars are not fast cars even the newer patrol units (Ford explorer) but what makes them fast is the lights and sirens. Most patrol cars are/were only making 250 horses that’s all and they weighed about 4000-4200 pounds depending on the driver.
My dad always told me that one can't outrun Mr. Motorola!
Appreciate 6
dradernh4371.50
Soul_Glo13346.00
UncleWede17976.50
CamasM3e933147.50
      01-09-2023, 02:27 PM   #7356
Ramlimited4500
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
You can out run them but with two radios!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:32 PM   #7357
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
You can out run them but with two radios!
With the rare exception being a motorcyclist, people aren't getting away from the radio, the department helicopter and the myriad of media helicopters in the air.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2023, 05:17 PM   #7358
Ramlimited4500
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
With the rare exception being a motorcyclist, people aren't getting away from the radio, the department helicopter and the myriad of media helicopters in the air.
I would say the motorcyclist would be more likely to get into a accident then a car but it’s able to out maneuver a car for a few moments till you get the bird up in the air. Plus the sheriffs move pretty fast when it comes to any type of code three calls “do we have a unit in seconds?”Beep beep beep “Copy century212, in seconds.”
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 11:53 AM   #7359
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would say the motorcyclist would be more likely to get into a accident then a car but it's able to out maneuver a car for a few moments till you get the bird up in the air. Plus the sheriffs move pretty fast when it comes to any type of code three calls "do we have a unit in seconds?"Beep beep beep "Copy century212, in seconds."
I have personally seen bikes outrun our CHP/Police/Sheriff helicopters. Yes, the motorcyclists are likely crash, and when they do it's bad……but they have gotten away. Don’t be mistaken, we are still short-handed here at LASD.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #7360
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I have personally seen bikes outrun our CHP/Police/Sheriff helicopters. Yes, the motorcyclists are likely crash, and when they do it's bad……but they have gotten away. Don’t be mistaken, we are still short-handed here at LASD.
We were pretty much prohibited from pursuing motorcycles about 20 years ago. It almost always ended up badly for the guy on the bike.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      01-11-2023, 04:44 PM   #7361
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

And besides, Johnny knows the score:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Buug95917363.00
      01-11-2023, 07:52 PM   #7362
Ramlimited4500
Private
Rep

Quote:
I fully believe you but running on a bike is a death wish in its self. The rider may know how to handle the bike but all it takes is that one person to be looking past the motorcycle and make a left turn in front of them now you got a k injury with. A rider cut in half. The way LASD HANDLES calls are very respectable you guys are there in minutes unlike lapd with “will handle with a slight delay.” If I move out of the city I’m moving into a sheriff’s area since I know lasd will be there fast if I was to place a call for service.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2023, 10:30 PM   #7363
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have personally seen bikes outrun our CHP/Police/Sheriff helicopters. Yes, the motorcyclists are likely crash, and when they do it's bad……but they have gotten away. Don't be mistaken, we are still short-handed here at LASD.
I fully believe you but running on a bike is a death wish in its self. The rider may know how to handle the bike but all it takes is that one person to be looking past the motorcycle and make a left turn in front of them now you got a k injury with. A rider cut in half. The way LASD HANDLES calls are very respectable you guys are there in minutes unlike lapd with "will handle with a slight delay." If I move out of the city I'm moving into a sheriff's area since I know lasd will be there fast if I was to place a call for service.
That doesn't stop them from running. Trust me!
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 01:24 PM   #7364
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

Have you ever had to pull over a family member or friend? Have they ever ignored your authority in such a case?

For example:

https://youtu.be/xLsBRPajK58
Appreciate 1
Dino GT35134.50
      01-12-2023, 04:26 PM   #7365
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Don't have link.
Motorcycle officer pulled over and tried to detain a possible DUI in LA. Dude eventually ran back into traffic and struggled, got tased, and then 4+ hours later died. From the attorney with an axe to grind: "The man was obviously not in his right mind, but to be treated with such violence and force, and his life taken from him" From the body cam footage released, that officer seemed to follow every rule of escalation, and it's extremely unfortunate that he died 4 hours later (co-morbidities of drug intoxication, which lead to the wrong mind he was in)

Do we ever give it a rest and let the poor response by the citizen be the real story?
      01-12-2023, 07:50 PM   #7366
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Don't have link.
Motorcycle officer pulled over and tried to detain a possible DUI in LA. Dude eventually ran back into traffic and struggled, got tased, and then 4+ hours later died. From the attorney with an axe to grind: "The man was obviously not in his right mind, but to be treated with such violence and force, and his life taken from him" From the body cam footage released, that officer seemed to follow every rule of escalation, and it's extremely unfortunate that he died 4 hours later (co-morbidities of drug intoxication, which lead to the wrong mind he was in)

Do we ever give it a rest and let the poor response by the citizen be the real story?
NEVER!!! Personal responsibility is long gone; much like common sense.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      01-13-2023, 02:44 PM   #7367
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever had to pull over a family member or friend? Have they ever ignored your authority in such a case?

For example:

I've never had any normal person, family member or friend challenge or ignore authority. Criminals, however, do it regularly.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13346.00
________4158.50
      01-14-2023, 02:25 PM   #7368
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Don't have link.

English teacher and cousin of BLM co-founder dies after being Tased by LAPD
Quote:
LOS ANGELES - Newly released body camera video shows a Black man getting Tased repeatedly by Los Angeles police – and dying four hours later -- which is raising questions about why police were using this type of force following a car crash.

"They're trying to George Floyd me," Keenan Anderson, 31, a high school English teacher and father, is heard saying on body camera video taken on Jan. 3. He's lying on the ground in Venice and he was Tasered six times. "Please don't do this to me sir. Please!"

Police respond: "I'm going to Tase you."

Anderson was Tased six times. The video was released on Tuesday.

Police said they were trying to catch up with Anderson after he got in a traffic accident, which they say he caused. Anderson was the cousin of Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors.

According to LAPD officials, an officer was flagged down for a car crash that happened near Venice and Lincoln boulevards just before 3:40 p.m that day. The officer said when he arrived at the scene, Anderson was acting erratically and that he observed him running in the middle of the street.

Witnesses also told the LAPD Anderson caused the crash.

The officer spoke with Anderson and called in additional units for a DUI investigation.

LAPD officials said as more units arrived, Anderson ran away from the scene, leading to a foot chase on the eastbound lanes of Venice Boulevard. A short time later, officers contacted Anderson who they say began to resist, which led to a use of force.

"Officers struggled with Anderson for several minutes, utilizing a Taser, bodyweight, firm grips, and joint locks to overcome resistance," the LAPD said in a written press release.

Anderson was handcuffed at the scene and "hobbled at the ankles."

After being taken into custody, firefighters with the Los Angeles Fire Department were called to the scene and rendered medical aid. He was taken to a Santa Monica hospital where he went into cardiac arrest and died four hours later, authorities said.

<snip>

...a preliminary blood test revealed cannabis and cocaine in Anderson’s system. A formal cause of death, however, has not been determined, and advocates have criticized the department for releasing that information and suggesting drug use was related to his death.
Initial thoughts:

- tasered 6 times when you have multiple officers on scene that are already hands on? Seems excessive. One time, ok sure maybe. 6? I don't think I've even seen any incidents in the news before with more than 2-3. I could be wrong here. I'll wait for our resident LEOs to chime in.

- tasered for a car crash made no sense till the highlighted parts. Why run? This could have been avoided by staying on scene when it was just the one officer. This shifts the entire scenario from "help" to "hunt" so to speak. Maybe a poor choice of verbiage, maybe particularly apt.

- Regardless of DUI, maybe just didn't want to be found at fault if he was driving like an idiot and knew it. On the other hand, maybe just got a concussion and wasn't in the right mind with his brains scrambled from the accident. I didn't see any video of the accident that started it all so I don't know how minor or major it might have been.

- Not having ever taken either cannabis or cocaine, I don't know the effects of them mixing. I do know a couple black guys who have told me it's not uncommon to have diagnosed or undiagnosed heart murmurs and such where a taser could prove fatal. I can't imagine cocaine would make that scenario (undiagnosed heart condition + taser) any better though.

- Anyone have the data over time showing an increase / decrease in use of force - even less-lethal force - following the introduction of tasers? I could have sworn a while back there was an article showing an increase in use of force overall following the introduction and standardization of tasers.

- I don't know if it was a bit of a catch-22 here as well, damned if you do, damned if you don't. By the time he's resisting and pleading, the drugs or overall situation may have had him genuinely believe he was in fear for his life leading him to struggle more, leading him to get tasered more as the fight/flight response went into overdrive.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 02:57 PM   #7369
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
- Anyone have the data over time showing an increase / decrease in use of force - even less-lethal force - following the introduction of tasers?
The F.B.I. may be able to help with this: https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-...r/use-of-force.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #7370
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Crime is rising because police are fearful of doing their job. Case in point the arrest above where force was used. Funny how often people who don't resist have zero force employed against them. Also sad how often people who die after arrest have narcotics in their blood streams.

Crime is also rising because people aren't allowed to defend their property for fear of lawsuit. Such as stores can not use force to prevent pilfering or decide to refuse access to people based on visual cues such as high on drugs or homelessness and lack of money.

Until we recognize that sometimes police work IS a bit violent as a response to physical resistance and that just because someone has a video of it doesn't mean it was wrong we will descend into more chaos.

Please do not misinterpret. If police clearly use force against someone that is not resisting or use excessive force they need to be stopped and that is a problem as well. But the public who have never wrestled with a methed up criminal needs to back it up a bit on what is excessive force.
Appreciate 3