New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-15-2022, 08:37 PM   #6293
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Chacon View Post
That’s the same reason my wife and I went ahead and got our LTC, reciprocity during our travels.
Just don't come to NY! We don't have reciprocity with ANYONE, and even a lockbox in the trunk isn't acceptable under our laws. People get busted all the time when passing through, and it is also a felony to even *touch* an unloaded pistol in a gun store unless you have a state CCW permit. This is why you will not find a tourist-focused range anywhere in the state like they have in Las Vegas or New Jersey, and most sporting goods stores won't even open the locked display case since many of their sales clerks don't have their own CCW to handle the merchandise legally.

Quote:
Sounds like you need to expedite that retirement life and head south!
We were going to get our SC non-resident property owners permits when we were down there over Memorial Day, but got sidetracked with the excavation contractors cutting the driveway and didn't get an opportunity to follow up. We supposedly need to bring our SC property tax receipt and certificates from an NRA or equivalent safety course to the county building, and they will issue the non-resident permit. Very little reciprocity with the non-res permit, but at least we'd have a foothold to being legal in SC for when the big move finally happens in about 5 years.....
      07-15-2022, 08:51 PM   #6294
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Drives: ///M320i and X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Just don't come to NY! We don't have reciprocity with ANYONE, and even a lockbox in the trunk isn't acceptable under our laws. People get busted all the time when passing through, and it is also a felony to even *touch* an unloaded pistol in a gun store unless you have a state CCW permit. This is why you will not find a tourist-focused range anywhere in the state like they have in Las Vegas or New Jersey, and most sporting goods stores won't even open the locked display case since many of their sales clerks don't have their own CCW to handle the merchandise legally.

We were going to get our SC non-resident property owners permits when we were down there over Memorial Day, but got sidetracked with the excavation contractors cutting the driveway and didn't get an opportunity to follow up. We supposedly need to bring our SC property tax receipt and certificates from an NRA or equivalent safety course to the county building, and they will issue the non-resident permit. Very little reciprocity with the non-res permit, but at least we'd have a foothold to being legal in SC for when the big move finally happens in about 5 years.....
Unreal, can’t imagine that. I was handling a full automatic AR today while at my local gun shop.

What does the SC non-resident permit get you?
5 more years, that’ll fly by in no time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:59 PM   #6295
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

Unreal, can't imagine that. I was handling a full automatic AR today while at my local gun shop.

5 more years, that'll fly by in no time.
Unreal for sure. I don't understand what a CCW has to do with handling an unloaded firearm in a retail business that deals in firearm sales.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #6296
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
OK I'm convinced. Will get a new CCW next week. Where will I find the time since I'm retired and only play golf 4 days a week.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25162.00
Buug95917718.50
      07-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #6297
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
OK I'm convinced. Will get a new CCW next week. Where will I find the time since I'm retired and only play golf 4 days a week.
That's the life. Playing with small balls and long poles.
Appreciate 3
jamesinaz1660.50
Buug95917718.50
      07-16-2022, 08:17 AM   #6298
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think that it has much reciprocity with other states, but then again NY State's CCW has zero reciprocity with *any* other state. The popular one here is a PA non-resident permit, which a few non-border counties there will issue while you wait if you bring them payment and an unrestricted NY State permit. The PA non-res permit requires no paper ties to PA, whereas the SC one requires a paid property tax receipt accompany the application to show that you have ties to SC.

What I'm unsure of is if the SC non-resident permit will allow non-residents to make purchases in the state? Not that I'd buy anything with no place to leave it in SC right now, and there's no "F" in weigh that I'd even think about bringing it home to New Yorkistan without being listed on my NY State permit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Unreal for sure. I don't understand what a CCW has to do with handling an unloaded firearm in a retail business that deals in firearm sales.
Most of our penal code regarding firearms is 100+ years old, and came from knee-jerk reactions to mobsters of yore. It's a felony to touch or possess a pistol without a CCW permit, loaded, unloaded, in a store, at the range, etc. No gray areas for mob lawyers to weasel around. If you are touching it in any way, you possess it! All of the area's pistol ranges check every single person's CCW permit before letting them into the hot areas, to ensure that an unlicensed spectator doesn't handle/shoot when nobody's looking.

Even more interesting is that the permit process requires the applicant to list a firearm by make/caliber/serial number on their initial application. You have to buy and pay for a gun...without ever touching it to feel the weight or grip size...and leave it sitting in the dealer's safe for a year or more until your permit is approved and a release coupon is issued so that you can pick it up! I hate to think about the goat screw that was created when Gander Mountain went belly-up, holding hundreds of pistols in their store safes for people waiting for their permits to pick them up. People in this part of NY State actually go to a well-known "tourist" indoor range in New Jersey of all places to handle/try before applying. My DW and I stopped at an out-of-state Cabelas as they opened on a weekday when we were on a road trip to handle a few weapons before making our decisions, picking that time specifically so that we wouldn't be wasting a sales clerk's time when we couldn't buy from them even if we wanted to.

It also bears mentioning that the NRA has a special pistol safety curriculum specific to NY State that doesn't include the range part. Anyone who takes the classroom part of the course handling solid blue plastic blocks in the general shape of a handgun receives the NRA safety certificate, along with a voluntary coupon to do the range part after you get a permit.

One aspect that I never dug into is what the charges would be for someone having a CCW but possessing a weapon that's not listed on their license? The possession felony doesn't apply. The safety instructor advised married couples to cross-list each weapon on both people's permits, which we didn't think about or do when filling out the application forms. I don't plan to find out how the issuing judge will handle something like this.

Funny story about mobs and knee-jerk laws. In the 1950's, the NY State Police raided a resort hotel in the Catskills where there was a big mob gathering taking place. They couldn't make a single firearms arrest, because EVERY SINGLE MOBSTER had a legitimate state CCW permit covering whatever they were carrying! No surprise that laws written to stop mobsters didn't do a thing to deter them, since the mob had judges on their payrolls to sign off on all of their permits.....
      07-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #6299
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I don't think that it has much reciprocity with other states, but then again NY State's CCW has zero reciprocity with *any* other state. The popular one here is a PA non-resident permit, which a few non-border counties there will issue while you wait if you bring them payment and an unrestricted NY State permit. The PA non-res permit requires no paper ties to PA, whereas the SC one requires a paid property tax receipt accompany the application to show that you have ties to SC.

What I'm unsure of is if the SC non-resident permit will allow non-residents to make purchases in the state? Not that I'd buy anything with no place to leave it in SC right now, and there's no "F" in weigh that I'd even think about bringing it home to New Yorkistan without being listed on my NY State permit!

I thought Canada had strict firearms laws.

Most of our penal code regarding firearms is 100+ years old, and came from knee-jerk reactions to mobsters of yore. It's a felony to touch or possess a pistol without a CCW permit, loaded, unloaded, in a store, at the range, etc. No gray areas for mob lawyers to weasel around. If you are touching it in any way, you possess it! All of the area's pistol ranges check every single person's CCW permit before letting them into the hot areas, to ensure that an unlicensed spectator doesn't handle/shoot when nobody's looking.

Even more interesting is that the permit process requires the applicant to list a firearm by make/caliber/serial number on their initial application. You have to buy and pay for a gun...without ever touching it to feel the weight or grip size...and leave it sitting in the dealer's safe for a year or more until your permit is approved and a release coupon is issued so that you can pick it up! I hate to think about the goat screw that was created when Gander Mountain went belly-up, holding hundreds of pistols in their store safes for people waiting for their permits to pick them up. People in this part of NY State actually go to a well-known "tourist" indoor range in New Jersey of all places to handle/try before applying. My DW and I stopped at an out-of-state Cabelas as they opened on a weekday when we were on a road trip to handle a few weapons before making our decisions, picking that time specifically so that we wouldn't be wasting a sales clerk's time when we couldn't buy from them even if we wanted to.

It also bears mentioning that the NRA has a special pistol safety curriculum specific to NY State that doesn't include the range part. Anyone who takes the classroom part of the course handling solid blue plastic blocks in the general shape of a handgun receives the NRA safety certificate, along with a voluntary coupon to do the range part after you get a permit.

One aspect that I never dug into is what the charges would be for someone having a CCW but possessing a weapon that's not listed on their license? The possession felony doesn't apply. The safety instructor advised married couples to cross-list each weapon on both people's permits, which we didn't think about or do when filling out the application forms. I don't plan to find out how the issuing judge will handle something like this.

Funny story about mobs and knee-jerk laws. In the 1950's, the NY State Police raided a resort hotel in the Catskills where there was a big mob gathering taking place. They couldn't make a single firearms arrest, because EVERY SINGLE MOBSTER had a legitimate state CCW permit covering whatever they were carrying! No surprise that laws written to stop mobsters didn't do a thing to deter them, since the mob had judges on their payrolls to sign off on all of their permits.....
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615456.00
      07-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #6300
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:

Curious if recent SCOTUS rulings might find those restrictions unconstitutional. If not I have to believe someone is trying to get it heard.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615456.00
Sedan_Clan25162.00
      07-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #6301
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Curious if recent SCOTUS rulings might find those restrictions unconstitutional. If not I have to believe someone is trying to get it heard.
The governor is trying to add MORE restrictions as a result of the ruling! They are harping on the "sensitive area" exception in the ruling, and essentially legislating every public space into one. The politicians don't even know the current laws, and are trying to include schools and other locations already prohibited under state penal code to their new list. I expect things to be worse now for current CCW holders from all of their new "sensitive areas." I'll be long dead by the time the courts rule on this new stuff.

I have not read the SCOTUS ruling yet, but have to wonder if they are confusing NYC with NY State on some things? NYC has their own laws, and believe it or not there isn't even CCW reciprocity between NYC and NY State! (As a NY State CCW holder, I cannot drive or boat to Long Island with my weapon even in a trunk-mounted lockbox because it involves passing through NYC.) I believe the bulk of the case was NYC not issuing permits that let people leave their own homes/apartments with their licensed firearm.

In all seriousness, I have an unrestricted permit and my pistol hasn't been out of my electronic-locking safe since 2018. I don't even know if the batteries are still good enough to unlock it! My employer is a place that is restricted under current penal code, there's zero sense in carrying it on work days when it's a felony to have it anywhere on the property including a trunk-mounted lockbox. It is also worth mentioning that we do NOT have mandatory trigger lock or safe requirements here. I chose the safe, picked one with a non-bio electronic combination lock function, and placed it in a location where I have quick access without fumbling for keys.

EDIT - I just tried it now, and the batteries are too weak to activate the release solenoid.....
      07-16-2022, 03:45 PM   #6302
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:

Right?!? That is an insanely arduous process.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #6303
________
________
Rep

Drives: ________

Quote:
At least it works. There are no crimes involving guns in those places.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25162.00
Buug95917718.50
vreihen1615456.00
      07-16-2022, 04:37 PM   #6304
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
At least it works. There are no crimes involving guns in those places.
I see what you did there.
Appreciate 4
________4160.00
Buug95917718.50
vreihen1615456.00
      07-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #6305
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

NASCAR race car driver Bobby East was stabbed in the chest by a homeless man at a California gas station. He has succumbed to his wounds. Sad day!
Appreciate 4
Buug95917718.50
________4160.00
vreihen1615456.00
      07-16-2022, 06:34 PM   #6306
rwheels
Major
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
NASCAR race car driver Bobby East was stabbed in the chest by a homeless man at a California gas station. He has succumbed to his wounds. Sad day!
There’s much more to the story. The “homeless” man was no angel. I did say was; he is no longer.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25162.00
Buug95917718.50
      07-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #6307
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
There’s much more to the story. The “homeless” man was no angel. I did say was; he is no longer.
Did he find a home?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 06:56 PM   #6308
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Although this is probably more appropriate in the firearms thread, the NY State CCW permit process involves fingerprinting (that you pay for) as the first step. Then, you get to sit down with a sheriff's deputy, who types your permit application with two fingers and asks you all kinds of questions before printing it in duplicate. A nice deputy visits your place of residence about a week later, as a random verification of your home address as entered on the permit form. Once your state background and employer verification checks clear, they call the local police where you work and live to see if they have any files on you that would disqualify issuing.

Assuming that you make it that far, you now need to bring in four NOTARIZED reference forms and your duplicate applications (notarized) for a meeting with the sheriff's official that oversees the permit office approvals...from people who live in your home county, don't live with you or each other, are not relatives, and cannot be retired or current LEO in any capacity. Oh, and the safety course certificate, along with a purchase receipt for your initial weapon(s) that are sitting in the store's safe. Each of your four references is subject to a visit by a nice deputy to confirm what they wrote on those forms. You also need to provide a "to whom it may concern" letter to the judge, explaining why you want a permit. (I believe that this letter is main issue that SCOTUS ruled on.)

Get past this hurdle, and your application floats around the courthouse for months until the issuing judge looks at it and possibly calls you in for an interview of their own.

A few weeks after the judge meeting, you will receive a notice of approval. Off to the clerk's office, to be re-fingerprinted, photographed, and actually get your CCW permit card and see for the first time whether it's restricted or unrestricted. The permit also includes a release coupon for the store to let you have your long-paid-for weapon(s) from their safe.

Our county is pretty generous with approving permits, unlike the downstate and Long Island counties. Even so, they were throttling the application process back during the 2016 rush by only doing fingerprinting (first step in the process) two days per week and only offering 3-4 appointments per day. The wait to be fingerprinted alone was 6+ months, and you didn't have an option to have it done anywhere else.

Just to be clear, this is the STATE process. NYC has their own procedures and rules, and issues their own permits that aren't valid anywhere outside of the city boundaries.

If I am ever pulled over again in a traffic stop (not likely), I will hand over my NY State CCW card along with my license even if I'm not carrying. Every LEO knows that CCW holders are the most-vetted citizens in the state, and that it's *way* easier to file the paperwork to run for governor than it is to get a CCW here.....
________4160.00
      07-16-2022, 07:09 PM   #6309
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Although this is probably more appropriate in the firearms thread, the NY State CCW permit process involves fingerprinting (that you pay for) as the first step. Then, you get to sit down with a sheriff's deputy, who types your permit application with two fingers and asks you all kinds of questions before printing it in duplicate. A nice deputy visits your place of residence about a week later, as a random verification of your home address as entered on the permit form. Once your state background and employer verification checks clear, they call the local police where you work and live to see if they have any files on you that would disqualify issuing.

Assuming that you make it that far, you now need to bring in four NOTARIZED reference forms and your duplicate applications (notarized) for a meeting with the sheriff's official that oversees the permit office approvals...from people who live in your home county, don't live with you or each other, are not relatives, and cannot be retired or current LEO in any capacity. Oh, and the safety course certificate, along with a purchase receipt for your initial weapon(s) that are sitting in the store's safe. Each of your four references is subject to a visit by a nice deputy to confirm what they wrote on those forms. You also need to provide a "to whom it may concern" letter to the judge, explaining why you want a permit. (I believe that this letter is main issue that SCOTUS ruled on.)

Get past this hurdle, and your application floats around the courthouse for months until the issuing judge looks at it and possibly calls you in for an interview of their own.

A few weeks after the judge meeting, you will receive a notice of approval. Off to the clerk's office, to be re-fingerprinted, photographed, and actually get your CCW permit card and see for the first time whether it's restricted or unrestricted. The permit also includes a release coupon for the store to let you have your long-paid-for weapon(s) from their safe.

Our county is pretty generous with approving permits, unlike the downstate and Long Island counties. Even so, they were throttling the application process back during the 2016 rush by only doing fingerprinting (first step in the process) two days per week and only offering 3-4 appointments per day. The wait to be fingerprinted alone was 6+ months, and you didn't have an option to have it done anywhere else.

Just to be clear, this is the STATE process. NYC has their own procedures and rules, and issues their own permits that aren't valid anywhere outside of the city boundaries.

If I am ever pulled over again in a traffic stop (not likely), I will hand over my NY State CCW card along with my license even if I'm not carrying. Every LEO knows that CCW holders are the most-vetted citizens in the state, and that it's *way* easier to file the paperwork to run for governor than it is to get a CCW here.....
Wow! Just wow. I have long guns but have never even entertained the thought of getting a handgun permit so I can't comment on what hoops a Canadian would have to jump through but I can't imagine it would be quite as involved as what you describe here.
      07-16-2022, 10:38 PM   #6310
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgAJx...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

It all happens quickly…..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 11:35 PM   #6311
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
Wow! Just wow. I have long guns but have never even entertained the thought of getting a handgun permit so I can't comment on what hoops a Canadian would have to jump through but I can't imagine it would be quite as involved as what you describe here.
Speaking as a Canadian, I can assure you, it is more hoops. Much more.

Because CCW basically doesn't exist here, so to get it....much fricking more.
Appreciate 3
________4160.00
Buug95917718.50
vreihen1615456.00
      07-17-2022, 02:04 AM   #6312
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Speaking as a Canadian, I can assure you, it is more hoops. Much more.

Because CCW basically doesn't exist here, so to get it....much fricking more.
Yeah I was going to say it’s LESS involved because it doesn’t exist.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917718.50
      07-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #6313
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
This graph is likely an over simplification of gun purchasing rules in the USA as every state is different, but it was created to illustrate to the anti-gun crowd in Canada what the process is to purchase and own firearms in Canada. There are very few CCW permits issued in Canada, I have only known of a handful and often they are a temporary permit for a specific purpose. One of the things that firearms owners in Canada are subjected to is having their name run through the police data base Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC), every 24 hours to ensure they haven't had contact with police that would result in their licence being suspended/revoked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Buug95917718.50
vreihen1615456.00
jamesinaz1660.50
________4160.00
      07-17-2022, 05:36 AM   #6314
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
This graph is likely an over simplification of gun purchasing rules in the USA as every state is different, but it was created to illustrate to the anti-gun crowd in Canada what the process is to purchase and own firearms in Canada. There are very few CCW permits issued in Canada, I have only known of a handful and often they are a temporary permit for a specific purpose. One of the things that firearms owners in Canada are subjected to is having their name run through the police data base Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC), every 24 hours to ensure they haven't had contact with police that would result in their licence being suspended/revoked.

Thanks for that Murf the Surf . I still have no desire to own a handgun.