New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

BMW Exec Says 85 Percent of 2030 Lineup Will Still Use Internal Combustion

https://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-...al-combustion/

Quote:
Still, Froehlich... cast doubt on the notion that all markets would abandon internal combustion and adopt electric vehicles at the same time.

"I think the discussion about electro-mobility is a little bit irrational," he said. "But we are prepared. We already purchased cobalt and lithium from 2025-35. We already have the second life in place for consumers or for grid stabilization, we have built these battery farms. We are prepared to deliver. But the world—Russia, Australia, a large portion of the world—they will have combustion engines for a very long time."

Even in a best-case scenario, he foresees pure electric cars and plug-in hybrids making up 30 percent of BMW's global lineup in the next 12 years. "If you assume that, from this 30 percent, half of them are plug-in hybrids—I have 85 percent in my portfolio in 2030 with a combustion engine," he said.

While that projection seems to be in stark contrast to the EV plans of automakers like VW Group, Ford, GM, and others, BMW has said previously that it hopes to have 25 electrified vehicles, including 12 EVs, in its lineup by 2025. Some upcoming electric models include an i4 four-door coupe that's based on the iVision Dynamics concept and is due in 2021. Also coming that year is the iNext, a highly autonomous vehicle with an estimated all-electric range of 435 miles. Arriving a bit sooner will be the iX3 crossover in 2020, which will likely share underpinnings with the current X3 but feature a next-gen electric powertrain. Almost all other future vehicles (including i4 and iNext) will be based on a next-gen platform that can support internal combustion, plug-in hybrid, and battery electric drivetrains.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Most will be electrified with ICE as well is what my guess is. Unless there's major breakthrough in battery tech it will still be tough to make it cost effective for many folks to go full EV. Light hybrids are probably more cost effective.