New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

Drives: M2CS 6spd

Is ECS Tuning ok?

Not sure whats going on with them... Im fuming right now... they messed up my order, I keep getting shitty answers and attitudes. I've used them before lots of times, and never had issues like this. I think going forward, I won't be using them again, plenty of other nice vendors... this sucks, cause I was looking at ordering parts for my e28 M5, and they had a package I liked.

The story:
My fan clutch on my e38 m5 swap is bad, so I parked the car, and went to ordered it. Most places said a few days to deliver. Placed the order on the 13th May via their chat option. Normally, you'd get an email receipt for the transaction, right? I didn't get anything, but then i figured maybe since it was placed via chat, it doesn't send an email... i got charged my $200+ for the part and waited... the 21st comes around (plenty of time for the order to already be here), so i hit them up via chat, and i get the longest runaround... they keep asking my order number, which i don't have since i didn't have email confirmation, so then they can't find order, then they find the order, ask me for order details and reply: YOU provided a different email.; YOU provided a different address.... . they sent it to Ohio instead of Miami, a different name/email/phone number/address, but my card number ... Essentially they messed up my order and sent it to someone else... The whole chat was highly unpleasant and i had a feeling she was talking to me like i was stupid or i messed up placing an order, which of course I didn't.

In any case, in the chat they didn't help, so i called. The customer service rep didn't say much, except that they will send out the order again. I explained to him that my car is parked and I can't drive it, so I need the part ASAP since its already been 8 days (btw, later I found out that the original order/the messed up order was delivered on the 20th), so I requested expedited shipping/next day. They do have that option (next day deliver/2 day delivery etc) for this part on their site BTW. I also requested that they send me a new invoice/with order number and order details (I keep records of my parts and orders and would like to have the correct order number to check the status of the order). I didn't get anything.

So come today (Monday), I again try to contact them via the chat... and I again get a runaround, waiting on the chat, explaining the situation (cause i still don't have the correct order number). They finally find it, then tell me delivery is Thursday (still don't give me the order number). I ask why Thursday, if i requested expedited delivery. RE: "I don't know why the rep didn't expedite the replacement but the part is on its way."

So then i call them, hoping to speak with a manager. Apparently, i immediately reached a supervisor for customer service. So i again go through the process of trying to locate my order (since they still didn't give it to me). We find it, and i ask her why wasn't it expedited. She tells me that expedited is not available for this part, and then we go back and fourth that it says they say it for this part on their site and that all the other suppliers offer it, but I'm again told no... wait for your part on Thursday, we can't do anything, maybe we will give you a discount. So i say, ok, I can't do anything further, please send me the correct receipt/order number with shipping info and your offer on discount... off course i wouldn't be writing this if "oh hey, we messed up, sorry, the part is complementary..." or "sorry we messed up, here is the correct order number/details, and here is a XX% for your next order."

i spent hours trying to solve this, being on hold and in chats, getting attitudes and having conflicting info given to me, I can't drive the car when I need it, I have to take the car to a shop for some other items, now I can't and have to reschedule... had to drive my 68 charger to a meeting since its the only one that can comfortably sit 4, and while its all fun, I don't want to be going through traffic in Miami in the charger unless I'm going to a car show.

This is where it gets good... she sends me the very same incorrect order receipt (to the guy in Ohio, with all the wrong info there.. for privacy, i won't post these screenshots, but if you're the guy in ohio that just got a free fan clutch for an m5, i have some PII for you..) and no offer on discount...

So when i click the order tracking, it says it was delivered to ohio last Thursday. So i reply to email requesting correct stuff. hours go by, nothing. I contact the chat, this is part two where it gets good:

Again, I'm treated like I'm the idiot, and when i express some of the issues, I'm given "lets work on the issue not the unneeded comments"... then I'm given some UPS account order number, which when i got to UPS it has nothing to do with delivery.. so i guess ups is not the shipping but some system they use, so i can't use this order number for anything really. To add insult to the injury: when i asked that i was told a discount would be available, i was told to "contact manager, UPS paid for the new order not YOU" and then just ended the chat right away... p.s. I've called right after, already on hold for over an hour. The extension that's in the email for the supervisor doesn't work, just keeps going back to the main menu (tried multiple times through the day).

i surely have all the transcripts of the conversations from the chat, but not the calls. Im not going to flood the board with chats, but here are some samples of how I'm spoken to. In case they want to know why I'm pissed.
"
so how do i find my order?​
i was told the part is on the way​
so where is it going? this is my 4th time requesting my order number​
i keep getting a run around​
Me​
Agent when was the order placed?
John F
on 13th may​
via this chat​
Me​
Agent lets work on the issue not the unneeded comments.
John F
excuse me?​
Me​
spacer this is the replacement order placed on UPS account.

-------------

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
John F
yes,​
When i spoke to erin earlier, she told me she will discount the order due to this issue​
i requested her to send me an email with information​
she didn't​
Me​
Agent you will need to call and speak with a manager, UPS paid for the new order not you.
"
      05-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Unusual experience. Never had a problem ordering from ECS Tuning.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Unusual experience. Never had a problem ordering from ECS Tuning.
me neither but it kept going from bad to worse. Shit, a mistake happened, give me next day delivery, or some discount / complementary part, I need the car. Instead, I'm getting an attitude and some possible lying.

id be more than happy to post full chat logs, I just don't don't to deal with blacking out the PII.
      05-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

There's a 17k member group on Facebook dedicated to hating ECS tuning. YMMV

https://m.facebook.com/groups/196939...eferrer=search
      05-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 340ix

I recently had to wait 45 minutes to get a human on the other end of the line for ECS Tuning customer service rep.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I never understand the issues other people have with them. Thank goodness I always get lucky I guess. I've been buying from them for many years. I recently wanted to use paypal and contacted them for an actual invoice and they offered a better price on my shocks with out me even asking. I was also going to have to pay for shipping but got it free ( I did ask for that part ).

Sorry you've had issues but I will keep using them until I do.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
fubarian
upgrades. Upgrades, EVERYWHERE
Rep

Drives: E92 335xi, E63 M6, F25, M550xi

Echoing what others have said - I've been using ECS for a PILE of parts (engine hardware, suspension, radiator, intercooler, body parts, under body parts, etc etc etc) solely because another group cannot. get. their act together (ie, no idea if things are ACTUALLY in stock)

Just a quick look, 8 orders and zero problems
2008 E63 ///M6
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

A few years old:

The Disaster At ECS Tuning Has Buyers and Ex-Employees Furious
https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-emplo...g-a-1827474482

(I also order a bit from them here and there, never had an issue).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #9
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

The problem with finding answers to things like this is the people who never had a problem tend to not believe other people had problems and the people who did have problems refuse to believe the company is anything but awful.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #10
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Note to self. Never order via chat.

I always place orders online so I can verify everything is correct. I feel like over the phone or chat there is room for error like in this case.

Another reason to stick with FCP. I ordered an alternator Sunday night. Paid for next day shipping which was very reasonably priced, delivered at 11am Tuesday, it was in the car and running that evening.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #11
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarian View Post
Echoing what others have said - I've been using ECS for a PILE of parts (engine hardware, suspension, radiator, intercooler, body parts, under body parts, etc etc etc) solely because another group cannot. get. their act together (ie, no idea if things are ACTUALLY in stock)

Just a quick look, 8 orders and zero problems
I personally have had issues (maybe only once) with ECS saying parts are in stock, only to find after ordering they weren't. Everyone's mileage does vary though.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      05-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #12
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Never had any problems with ECS or Turner and I've been buying from them for a few years now. Overseas shipping is fair priced and fast and communication has always been quick.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Drives: Not a BMW anymore

ECS totally screwed up my F/R BBK order a few years ago by giving me slotted rotors instead of the drilled rotors I had requested. Coincidentally, I had also ordered via the chat feature. When they shipped the replacement rings, they sent the wrong fronts. Rather than sending the correct front rings, they wanted me to send...the entire F/R BBK and replacement rings back to them... and they would start the whole shipment over again. I'm overseas, so shipping was two weeks each way.

That was the last order I placed with them. I ordered the front rings I needed from Zeckhausen and was good to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #14
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

ECS sucks. "In stock" products are constantly being back ordered. Most of their branded parts are rebadged Ali express garbage. I used to love Turner and Bavauto, but ecs ruined them too. I use FCP for everything I can now.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      05-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep

Drives: E39, E91, E91

ECS/Pelican/Turner used to be great prior to their buyout. They've screwed up orders two of the last three times I've used them and won't use them again. They sent the wrong bumper (rep M3 or something when I ordered an OEM E90 bumper) and a obviously used/tampered fuel pump.

Stay away.

FCP Euro, getbmwparts.com, and Schmiedmann are the way to go.
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7405.50
540iSUP703.00
      05-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
ECS/Pelican/Turner used to be great prior to their buyout. They've screwed up orders two of the last three times I've used them and won't use them again. They sent the wrong bumper (rep M3 or something when I ordered an OEM E90 bumper) and a obviously used/tampered fuel pump.

Stay away.

I have used Turner recently with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:20 PM   #17
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M5

I've ordered a few stuff from them, and never had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:31 AM   #18
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post

Stay away.

Is BavAuto part of that group too? I used to order parts from all these vendors in my E36 days. Times have changed.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #19
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW E88

No problems with them.
I ordered a 3rd brake light from them.
A little slow for them to ship it, but eventually got the part.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      06-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #20
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
Is BavAuto part of that group too? I used to order parts from all these vendors in my E36 days. Times have changed.
Yes and same. They were the business in the early 2000’s for e36 stuffs. Now it’s all the same money grab similar to vivid.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      06-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #21
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

ECS after the buyout is similar to Newegg. Stark decrease in quality. I'd stay away. Just my two cents.

///M
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #22
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
ECS after the buyout is similar to Newegg. Stark decrease in quality. I'd stay away. Just my two cents.
Its truly sad what came of Turner Motorsports. I can at least say that Pelican Parts has been good, even though ECS took over.
Appreciate 0