ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

12-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #67
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes well, I'm just not sure what you can do with a sedan body. The rumored CSL will presumably get completely different body panels, which makes it possible to integrate these elements more harmoniously.

But for a track car, all these aero addenda are absolutely essential. All the other parts sold by these tuners on the forum may be pretty, but are totally useless, they may even hurt performance let alone enhance it.

So if I want my car to go faster on track, yes I'll take the ugly wing, spoiler and whatnot. I'll take under 20lbs wheels in any color, even mismatched colors, it really doesn't matter.

Would I buy this car if I had $140k spare change for a track toy? Probably not, and neither would I buy a GT3. I'd buy an actual secondhand race car, or something like a Radical or Atom.
I don't doubt it'll churn some ridiculous lap times, but it's the looks (specifically the rims and front lip that doesn't go across the whole bumper) that are a buzz kill
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #68
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

what is this?!

Did they run out of CF for the lip and decide to make it smaller than the width of the car??! Looks AWFUL.

Also this picture makes it look like its on stilts... X4 GTS

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #69
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard
what is this?!

Did they run out of CF for the lip and decide to make it smaller than the width of the car??! Looks AWFUL.

Also this picture makes it look like its on stilts... X4 GTS

WOAH! That front end is hideous from that angle!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #70
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guy3 View Post
Guess BMW doesnt know how to make a car that is both functional and down right sexy.
Two things: the GTS is based on a 4 seat family car, the Viper isn't.

And secondly as far as I'm concerned the Viper is not beautiful, IMO. It's crass, big, loud, anything but beautiful.

For starting with a clean sheet of paper, I don't consider that Chrysler knocked it out of the park design wise.

But hey, I don't mind those who like it, and don't feel the need to go over the Viper forum and crap on their parade.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #71
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

me no likey, it is ugly.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #72
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Two things: the GTS is based on a 4 seat family car, the Viper isn't.

And secondly as far as I'm concerned the Viper is not beautiful, IMO. It's crass, big, loud, anything but beautiful.

For starting with a clean sheet of paper, I don't consider that Chrysler knocked it out of the park design wise.

But hey, I don't mind those who like it, and don't feel the need to go over the Viper forum and crap on their parade.
Being based off a 4 seat car isnt the problem. I find a stock F80 or F82 looks better than this car.

Its the ugly rims and fender parts. Car also doesn't look as proportional as stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #73
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guy3 View Post
Being based off a 4 seat car isnt the problem. I find a stock F80 or F82 looks better than this car.

Its the ugly rims and fender parts. Car also doesn't look as proportional as stock.
I like the rims a lot, just not their color. Simple fix. Fenders are the same as far as I can tell, not sure what you're objecting to.

Front spoiler is retractable, and in the extended configuration is probably not even street legal. As I've said before once you put it on track it no longer matters what the spoiler looks like. In fact in the intermediate and advanced groups you see lots of extreme aero modifications, none of which looks clean or integrated. I should have taken pics of the more bizarre efforts for reference. So on the road it will look like any other aggressively tuned M4, except with working aero bits.

My biggest objection is to the body colors, I do not like any one of them. I also understand BMW will not allow special paint (I.e. Individual) which is truly a shame. But in general the car doesn't offend me any more or less than any other frozen color M4...

YMMV. Still, complaining about wheels or a wing on a 2 seat track special seems very misguided to me.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #74
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
I like the rims a lot, just not their color. Simple fix. Fenders are the same as far as I can tell, not sure what you're objecting to.

Front spoiler is retractable, and in the extended configuration is probably not even street legal. As I've said before once you put it on track it no longer matters what the spoiler looks like. In fact in the intermediate and advanced groups you see lots of extreme aero modifications, none of which looks clean or integrated. I should have taken pics of the more bizarre efforts for reference. So on the road it will look like any other aggressively tuned M4, except with working aero bits.

My biggest objection is to the body colors, I do not like any one of them. I also understand BMW will not allow special paint (I.e. Individual) which is truly a shame. But in general the car doesn't offend me any more or less than any other frozen color M4...

YMMV. Still, complaining about wheels or a wing on a 2 seat track special seems very misguided to me.

This ain't no track car. It's an M4 with a huge spoiler and tacked on front lip. A marketing attempt that will fail badly.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #75
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
This ain't no track car. It's an M4 with a huge spoiler and tacked on front lip. A marketing attempt that will fail badly.
Aside from the fact that it already posted a fast Ring time which means you are wrong about this topic, you are probably right about other topics.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #76
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Can't even bother to read past the first page...

car is ugly as fuck
sounds like shit
ugly color
ugly wheels

wtf bmw.. Just putting GTS badges on every fucking thing.. this is why e46 m3 is the last M car alive

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #77
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
Can't even bother to read past the first page...

car is ugly as fuck
sounds like shit
ugly color
ugly wheels

wtf bmw.. Just putting GTS badges on every fucking thing.. this is why e46 m3 is the last M car alive
I'm pretty sure that since your E46 is so righteously riced out, you must be absolutely correct. And such eloquence...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #78
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

My e46 m3 is definitely not riced out lol. Do you want me to post a photo?

Honestly look at that particular GTS and tell me you'd sell your e9x for it?

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #79
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My e46 m3 is definitely not riced out lol. Do you want me to post a photo?

Honestly look at that particular GTS and tell me you'd sell your e9x for it?
I don't have an E9x. I have an F80. And I wouldn't sell it for this car, because I'd have no way to come up with the $70k difference. My F80 is a family car first, and track car distant second, but the GTS is just pure track car so it has no place in my garage at this time.

Do post a picture of the last M car alive, in your personal interpretation.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #80
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

I'm saying the e46 m3 is the last real M and this GTS is just another try from BMW M division to reclaim its top tier status.

This particular GTS seems rushed.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #81
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Well the car has to appeal to someone. They did sell them all, so you gotta figure that there are decent amount of people like you self.

around here though, seems that most people agree with me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:17 AM   #82
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

I know many don't like the new GTS wheels but i really like them! Always been a fan of the mesh style and these really stand out
      12-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #83
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
A marketing attempt that will fail badly.
Really ?

Aren't all the 700 already sold out .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #84
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
A marketing attempt that will fail badly.
Really ?

Marketing wise, it is kind of a fail IMO. This car should have been a halo car for the brand, it should have made enthousiasts dream of owning such an incredible machine and in the final bring them to the brand if they were'nt already fans of ///M cars. This is not what is happening, just watch the reaction on this board, positive comments are the exeption, and we are the biggest regroupment of ///M aficionados, that says a lot about the desirability of this car. You can be sure that the GT3, Nismo GT-R and C63 BS have never had such cold welcomes.

In the end, selling 700 units of anything that is limited edition is not hard when you wear what is probably the most iconic letter in the sport car industry, this does'nt make it a success, far from it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #85
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible View Post
Marketing wise, it is kind of a fail IMO. This car should have been a halo car for the brand, it should have made enthousiasts dream of owning such an incredible machine and in the final bring them to the brand if they were'nt already fans of ///M cars. This is not what is happening, just watch the reaction on this board, positive comments are the exeption, and we are the biggest regroupment of ///M aficionados, that says a lot about the desirability of this car. You can be sure that the GT3, Nismo GT-R and C63 BS have never had such cold welcomes.

In the end, selling 700 units of anything that is limited edition is not hard when you wear what is probably the most iconic letter in the sport car industry, this does'nt make it a success, far from it.
Well for one, the sky was indeed falling when they announced the 991 GT3. Let's see, no Mezger engine and no manual transmission, PASM standard were all hailed as a dilution of the breed, no actually worse, an abomination. The initial severe engine problems and subsequent delays didn't help. Then people drove them and they sold out.

Couldn't comment on the Nissan because I'm not a fan at all. The C63 BS seem to be exactly in the mold of this GTS: a C63 turned to 11.

But let's go back in time to the E46 M3, and th e introduction of the CSL. Most reviews I read at the time were complaining that the cup tires were limiting for a street car, and that around most tracks it was just a tad faster than the regular car so perhaps not worth it. They didn't exactly fly out of the showrooms and commercially were not a big success. But then more people really drove them as intended and started to appreciate the character of the car and hard as nails driving experience. Now they're going up in price, if you can find them, soon they'll top the $100k mark.

The reaction on this board is indeed a sad thing to watch, but not for the reasons you imagine. There are now so many posers in the community, so many people for whom a cool but useless diffuser is important, who worship at the altar not of better lap times but fancier CF weave, the most unusual Individual paint, the deepest dish on the 20" rims. Plumage. Fluff. These people think the car is ugly, and not a thought is spared for just how badly this thing would spank their gorgeously attired garage queens on any track you care to name.

BMW enthusiasts? I seriously doubt it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #86
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm saying the e46 m3 is the last real M and this GTS is just another try from BMW M division to reclaim its top tier status.

This particular GTS seems rushed.
Well that's your opinion. I for one never could fall in love with the E46 M3: I loved the engine but thought the damping was crap, the steering too lifeless and so I went for a ZHP instead which to my mind embodied the BMW driving characteristics much better. Goes to show how personal these preferences really are.

I liked the E90 because of the engine, and the handling was good without the usual giant understeer built in. But it was heavy for the engine, and the high revving character made it hard to explore the chassis really: things tended to happen at a higher speed, where it could go really wrong in a hurry.

The F80 out of the box by comparison is lighter, harder, and a quantum leap handling wise on track. Finally it has all the power the chassis can handle, which tends to improve your driving skills through necessity. There is almost no understeer, and tire wear is incredible really compared to previous generations which means it's working all 4 corners very well. Balanced.

In my opinion it is a far better M car than the E46. You disagree, that's fine. I think the GTS will be absolutely awesome to drive, too bad I won't have the opportunity to try it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #87
///Mpossible
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mpossible View Post

Well for one, the sky was indeed falling when they announced the 991 GT3. Let's see, no Mezger engine and no manual transmission, PASM standard were all hailed as a dilution of the breed, no actually worse, an abomination. The initial severe engine problems and subsequent delays didn't help. Then people drove them and they sold out.

Couldn't comment on the Nissan because I'm not a fan at all. The C63 BS seem to be exactly in the mold of this GTS: a C63 turned to 11.

But let's go back in time to the E46 M3, and th e introduction of the CSL. Most reviews I read at the time were complaining that the cup tires were limiting for a street car, and that around most tracks it was just a tad faster than the regular car so perhaps not worth it. They didn't exactly fly out of the showrooms and commercially were not a big success. But then more people really drove them as intended and started to appreciate the character of the car and hard as nails driving experience. Now they're going up in price, if you can find them, soon they'll top the $100k mark.

The reaction on this board is indeed a sad thing to watch, but not for the reasons you imagine. There are now so many posers in the community, so many people for whom a cool but useless diffuser is important, who worship at the altar not of better lap times but fancier CF weave, the most unusual Individual paint, the deepest dish on the 20" rims. Plumage. Fluff. These people think the car is ugly, and not a thought is spared for just how badly this thing would spank their gorgeously attired garage queens on any track you care to name.

BMW enthusiasts? I seriously doubt it.
I don't think the GT3 and GTS situations are comparable at all, here's why;

While the new GT3 brought a lot of apprehensions to the Porsche community, these were only apprehensions related to the mechanic of the car, that, like you said, faded away in most part after seeing the car in action. And we know that today the GT3 is probably the most loved car in the Porsche line-up.

While with the GTS, not many were surprised/disappointed by the choice of powertrain and mecanical components, it is pretty much just about the esthetical of the car that people are complaining. Most find the car ugly and cheesy looking to summarise, they are also disappointed in the sound since it is a 135k race car after all(it sound pretty much like a regular M4 which most people already think sound bad for a +65k sport car), and this is BMWs most diehard fans who are saying that. These are things that wont change after seeing the GTS exeptional performance in action. They will respect the performance, but they wont idolize the car.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #88
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Really ?

Because... there were only 700 and its a bragging rights thing, how many GTSs' will actually be driven on the track?

Don

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0