Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
i said its ugly, i didnt say it wasnt a great track car
And ugly it is.
However it's not a piece of shit put together with bondo and I can say that from first hand crawling around one (not driving unfortunately). Honestly the fit and finish is incredible even ignoring the fact that it's for the track. Millimeter perfect panel gaps etc. I love well engineered things.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
And ugly it is.
However it's not a piece of shit put together with bondo and I can say that from first hand crawling around one (not driving unfortunately). Honestly the fit and finish is incredible even ignoring the fact that it's for the track. Millimeter perfect panel gaps etc. I love well engineered things.
i didnt say it wasnt well put together either....it just looks like the bodywork was done with bondo....i know its probably carbon....but it looks unproffesional
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #25
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
i didnt say it wasnt well put together either....it just looks like the bodywork was done with bondo....i know its probably carbon....but it looks unproffesional
Not in the flesh. You should try to get a look at one if you can. Seriously it's mucho well put together (and the body is 100% carbon. mmmmm Carbon )
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
Big Windy
Major General
Big Windy's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
5,124
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

well, i guess this thread has taken a different direction, but that's great news about the apollo. i have always liked it since it was featured on top gear and since it was on display at the Essen motor show. I personally like the look of it, but I guess that others feel differently
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #27
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
308
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
if you want me to beak it down line by line....i will
Actually, I am in interested in your analysis of the aesthetics. Please do break it down. Again, I am not agreeing/disagreeing or challenging. Just interested in a detailed analysis.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
667
Rep
12,435
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
And ugly it is.
However it's not a piece of shit put together with bondo and I can say that from first hand crawling around one (not driving unfortunately). Honestly the fit and finish is incredible even ignoring the fact that it's for the track. Millimeter perfect panel gaps etc. I love well engineered things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
i didnt say it wasnt well put together either....it just looks like the bodywork was done with bondo....i know its probably carbon....but it looks unproffesional
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Not in the flesh. You should try to get a look at one if you can. Seriously it's mucho well put together (and the body is 100% carbon. mmmmm Carbon )
no i still think it's ugly in person. we see multiple here in FL every year at this thing called the festival of speed. the lines and surfacing are too soft, like a cheap fiberglass molding. panel gaps might be non-existant, but that doesn't change the fact that the surfacing looks like it came outta the 90's.
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #29
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
667
Rep
12,435
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

shit, i think this explains everything. look how simplistic it is, and not in a good way. cookie cutter front fascia, ugly mesh, no beveling, weak tension, etc.

i mean, look at the damn front fender where it merges into the body...
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #30
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
shit, i think this explains everything. look how simplistic it is, and not in a good way. cookie cutter front fascia, ugly mesh, no beveling, weak tension, etc.

i mean, look at the damn front fender where it merges into the body...
You can't analyse the shape of something that was designed for the track using road car constructs. Stick up a picture of an F1 car and see how well that works using those rules.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #31
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
667
Rep
12,435
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
You can't analyse the shape of something that was designed for the track using road car constructs. Stick up a picture of an F1 car and see how well that works using those rules.
well true, but regardless of whether or not the design is a result of form-follows-function, it's still ass ugly imo haha.

they could have easily made it better looking by changing simple details, beveling a few surfaces to make it look more solid, and adding a bit more tension in some panels.
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #32
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
well true, but regardless of whether or not the design is a result of form-follows-function, it's still ass ugly imo haha.
.
Hey. You're preaching to the choir. It's as ugly as sin alright. I love it for not trying to be pretty and just getting on with the job of being a fargin brilliant track car. It worked so they obviously have some idea what they're doing
Imagine the full fat version.. Ouchy. The ring one was the middle model with ONLY 700bhp.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #33
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
You can't analyse the shape of something that was designed for the track using road car constructs. Stick up a picture of an F1 car and see how well that works using those rules.
F1 cars look sweet tho b/c the are 100% not for the consumer race car. they look like space ships, which is cool. the apollo is still supposed to be a consumer car. and all conusmer cars should look good.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #34
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Actually, I am in interested in your analysis of the aesthetics. Please do break it down. Again, I am not agreeing/disagreeing or challenging. Just interested in a detailed analysis.
i will. b4 i leave work today
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #35
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

designed for the track using road car constructs:



looks sweet
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #36
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
designed for the track using road car constructs:



looks sweet
nice indeed but my money would be on the apollo around the track
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #37
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
308
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
i will. b4 i leave work today
Thanks. Looking forward to it.

One comment on your Ferrari pic though: In several racing series, regulations require the cars to "appear" stock to some/significant degree (plus the manufacturer probably wants it that way to begin with in many cases to sell more production cars). I believe the ALMS GT2 class is one such series for instance. That does not mean that is the optimum shape from a performance perspective. Thus, a better example would be to use a race car that is not bound by such requirements so strictly.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #38
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks. Looking forward to it.

One comment on your Ferrari pic though: In several racing series, regulations require the cars to "appear" stock to some/significant degree (plus the manufacturer probably wants it that way to begin with in many cases to sell more production cars). I believe the ALMS GT2 class is one such series for instance. That does not mean that is the optimum shape from a performance perspective. Thus, a better example would be to use a race car that is not bound by such requirements so strictly.
the audi, r10 for example
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #39
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
nice indeed but my money would be on the apollo around the track
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #40
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
308
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
the audi, r10 for example
Here you go. Does anyone know if there is a body template these LeMans cars need to utilize, or is the geometry wide open (apart from some basic size limits)?

Name:  R10.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  104.6 KB
Name:  gumpert.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  123.5 KB
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #41
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
865
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Squirrel View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #42
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

anyways, it is my belief...based on what i have seen in design school and based on the work of designers who lack good design sense, that the gumpert was "designed" but very poorly, by an inexperienced, bad designer. its difficult to explain, and i takes a trained eye. i will go through it later and point out where this design is lacking "finese"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #43
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
667
Rep
12,435
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

the whole thing looks like a hot wheels car. there, i summed it up.^
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #44
Robo Squirrel
Major
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
1,001
Posts

 
Drives: 991.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
the whole thing looks like a hot wheels car. there, i summed it up.^
actually hotwheels has a few talented designers. im not saying all of them...but they have a few
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST