New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #23
m630
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
I tried posting on rennlist but didn't get much help. Maybe I posted in the wrong section? That forum is somewhat confusing for some reason.

Interested in getting my first Porsche and was looking at CPO vehicles. Primarily the 991.2 base. Found a few for 90-100k with low miles and well equipped, but didn't know if they were a good deal.

I'm not familiar with Porsche so I was wondering what you guys would recommend? I'm still trying to learn the nomenclature. It's very confusing. Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera T, Carrera 4s, Carrera GTSand so on.

I know Turbo/S, GT2/3 and up, but the lower models in looking at all seem very similar except for a few horses.

What's the sweet spot for a first timer? Have seen great deals on Carrera T models but I'm kind of wary.
OP if you are not familiar with Porsche why are you interested in obtaining one? Seems very strange as its an iconic, historic vehicle. There are no “lower” models, just gradations of higher and more focused offerings depending on what you intend to use it for.

The sweet spot for a newbie is to learn the history and determine why you want one, and dont buy for the name as you’ll never appreciate it vs other cars that may offer similiar performance numbers in a different package
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 01:15 AM   #24
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Quote:
I tried posting on rennlist but didn't get much help. Maybe I posted in the wrong section? That forum is somewhat confusing for some reason.

Interested in getting my first Porsche and was looking at CPO vehicles. Primarily the 991.2 base. Found a few for 90-100k with low miles and well equipped, but didn't know if they were a good deal.

I'm not familiar with Porsche so I was wondering what you guys would recommend? I'm still trying to learn the nomenclature. It's very confusing. Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera T, Carrera 4s, Carrera GTSand so on.

I know Turbo/S, GT2/3 and up, but the lower models in looking at all seem very similar except for a few horses.

What's the sweet spot for a first timer? Have seen great deals on Carrera T models but I'm kind of wary.
OP if you are not familiar with Porsche why are you interested in obtaining one? Seems very strange as its an iconic, historic vehicle. There are no "lower" models, just gradations of higher and more focused offerings depending on what you intend to use it for.

The sweet spot for a newbie is to learn the history and determine why you want one, and dont buy for the name as you'll never appreciate it vs other cars that may offer similiar performance numbers in a different package
I wasn't familiar with BMW but always loved the E46 M3, despite never driving one. I started with a new 335 then gradually upgraded to M cars. Porsche has a reputation for actually being the ultimate drivers car, outstanding reliability, and luxurious. It's the closest car manufacturer to exotics in my opinion. I'm familiar with the heritage and long standing history, but I'm not familiar with the different models and a "noob" buyer. I don't know what models you can negotiate on (brand new), which ones you can't, which ones are best to start with for a first timer like me.

I want one because they are beautiful vehicles that perform much better than any M car, based on what I've read and seen.
      03-01-2019, 02:37 AM   #25
m630
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
They are beautiful and exotic and and ive followed them for 40years and still have plenty to learn. The 911 is the most icon sportscar perhaps ever built but understand they are sportscars and not bmws. The high end models are as exotic as any Italian offering (which I also luv but just stating a fact) and the GT2 RS is quite possibly the best all around exotic sports car in the world period.
The new models are extremely reliable and drivable but they have their place and you should consider that when deciding what to do. I would argue that they are not so much better than M cars in daily driver situations, in fact they may be inferior in most cases if your driving is in local traffic on local roads. While you can drive a base 911 or S/T/GTS anywhere, youre not gonna want to take it to the mall or grocery store or even a restaurant with valet parking as id never want someone else in my 911. However with a bmw, even Ms, you can take them and leave them anywhere without any thoughts and that is the difference from my point of view that should be considered. A 911 is a car you drive but not a car you park and leave on the street, whereas you can leave any bmw, whether my former M6 or recent M3 and not worry about. If you want a second car to drive and enjoy purely for driving, get a 911, if its gonna be your all around car, you’ll probably be disappointed. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:53 AM   #26
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are beautiful and exotic and and ive followed them for 40years and still have plenty to learn. The 911 is the most icon sportscar perhaps ever built but understand they are sportscars and not bmws. The high end models are as exotic as any Italian offering (which I also luv but just stating a fact) and the GT2 RS is quite possibly the best all around exotic sports car in the world period.
The new models are extremely reliable and drivable but they have their place and you should consider that when deciding what to do. I would argue that they are not so much better than M cars in daily driver situations, in fact they may be inferior in most cases if your driving is in local traffic on local roads. While you can drive a base 911 or S/T/GTS anywhere, youre not gonna want to take it to the mall or grocery store or even a restaurant with valet parking as id never want someone else in my 911. However with a bmw, even Ms, you can take them and leave them anywhere without any thoughts and that is the difference from my point of view that should be considered. A 911 is a car you drive but not a car you park and leave on the street, whereas you can leave any bmw, whether my former M6 or recent M3 and not worry about. If you want a second car to drive and enjoy purely for driving, get a 911, if its gonna be your all around car, you'll probably be disappointed. Good luck
Thanks for your insight. Where do you park your Porsche then? I tip valets and they let me park it myself. Even with my M3.

But I have an M3CS as a daily. Porsche would be a weekend car. I'd still want to take it to the mall and take it around shopping and other stuff. I live in Texas so it'd be easy to open it up on the highways. There isn't much traffic in Austin during the hours I drive so I'm not worried about that.
      03-01-2019, 05:16 AM   #27
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Carrera: base model.
Carrera T: base model with some goodies.
Carrera 4: base and it’s 4wd.
Carrera S: more power and fancy red-painted calipers.
Carrera 4S: more or similar power to Carrera S with 4wd. Plus, it has a sexy wide butt.
Carrera GTS: it’s similar to comp package on our M cars plus it is lowered a bit and has a red tach and red seatbelts. If I am not mistaken PASM comes standard.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #28
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
The new models are extremely reliable and drivable but they have their place and you should consider that when deciding what to do. I would argue that they are not so much better than M cars in daily driver situations, in fact they may be inferior in most cases if your driving is in local traffic on local roads. While you can drive a base 911 or S/T/GTS anywhere, youre not gonna want to take it to the mall or grocery store or even a restaurant with valet parking as id never want someone else in my 911. However with a bmw, even Ms, you can take them and leave them anywhere without any thoughts and that is the difference from my point of view that should be considered. A 911 is a car you drive but not a car you park and leave on the street, whereas you can leave any bmw, whether my former M6 or recent M3 and not worry about. If you want a second car to drive and enjoy purely for driving, get a 911, if its gonna be your all around car, you’ll probably be disappointed. Good luck
I agree with most of what you've said her except for the parking it bit. The one thing I realized early on in my love affair with Porsche and when I started to seriously want one was that they don't really stand out like some other cars. Park a Ferrari, every a not too exotic one anywhere and people will be all over it. You can park a 911 GT2 RS and it will hardly get any attention unless it has an outrageous paint job and even then only real car people will pay it much attention. They are all great cars and need to be driven. You are right, it isn't a BMW, and I don't disagree Porsche in my view like Ferrari has always been about sports cars, (well until the Cayenne and Macan), and that's one of the things I love about them. Every thing about the 911 is purpose built, most other manufacturers build cars and may have a sports car line but it isn't their bread and butter.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #29
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I think the reason why you didn't get much response on RL is because your question is very open-ended. Better to do your research and then ask more specific questions.

You won't have any trouble parking a 911 in Austin, lol. Lots of money and nice cars/places there.

Anyway, if you're looking at a $143k Turbo, then you have enough of a budget to choose between the two ultimate, most desirable models : the mind bendingly fast daily street driver that's the Turbo, or the track/street GT3.

Two notes: I see that you say you want a CPO, which eliminates all the models older than a 991 - many of which I like better than any of the 991's. Second, I didn't mention the GT3 RS, because I assumed your budget isn't $200k
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #30
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I've been dailying a Porsche for the last 8 years, first a Cayman S, now a 911 Carrera S. I stopped worrying about parking it at stores long ago. I do try to avoid valet parking if possible, but even when I've had to, they usually just park it up front. My car is no worse than my last BMW in traffic (E90 M3), in fact, it's much better since it gets better mileage and has a much bigger gas tank.
Appreciate 4
P111541.50
paliknight2186.50
      03-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #31
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I've been dailying a Porsche for the last 8 years, first a Cayman S, now a 911 Carrera S. I stopped worrying...
That's a huge relief to hear you say that. I bought a '19 Carrera T last night, and woke up this morning with a tiny bit "buyer's remorse" (WTF was I thinking!?!)... concerned about whether the Porsche could be as fun and effortless of a DD as my M240i has been. The BMW is a really hard act to follow. On paper, the new car will meet all my needs, and then some. Nobody around here blinks twice when they see a nice car, so there's never an issue about running errands in it, or parking around town. Living on the edge of insanity here, haha. Thanks for your encouragement this morning!

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #32
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
That's a huge relief to hear you say that. I bought a '19 Carrera T last night, and woke up this morning with a tiny bit "buyer's remorse" (WTF was I thinking!?!)... concerned about whether the Porsche could be as fun and effortless of a DD as my M240i has been. The BMW is a really hard act to follow. On paper, the new car will meet all my needs, and then some. Nobody around here blinks twice when they see a nice car, so there's never an issue about running errands in it, or parking around town. Living on the edge of insanity here, haha. Thanks for your encouragement this morning!
I had a 996 about 12 years ago, DD when the weather was good. One of my complaints was that it was like driving a smaller version of my Volvo wagon. No drama, solid, smooth and easy to drive.

911 T is s great car, if I was going to buy new that'd probably be the sweet spot for me. You're going to love it.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #33
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I think the reason why you didn't get much response on RL is because your question is very open-ended. Better to do your research and then ask more specific questions.

You won't have any trouble parking a 911 in Austin, lol. Lots of money and nice cars/places there.

Anyway, if you're looking at a $143k Turbo, then you have enough of a budget to choose between the two ultimate, most desirable models : the mind bendingly fast daily street driver that's the Turbo, or the track/street GT3.

Two notes: I see that you say you want a CPO, which eliminates all the models older than a 991 - many of which I like better than any of the 991's. Second, I didn't mention the GT3 RS, because I assumed your budget isn't $200k
True. I'm doing more and more research every day because I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I first got into BMW. Thought hey, let me start with a nice new 335i then upgrade later. I loved the 335i, but it was lacking what I needed so I ended up upgrading to and M4.

Now I just want to get that one Porsche I can keep in my garage for at least a decade or more. I checked out used GT3's but the ones in my price range (max 150k) were 2015s that are purportedly notorious for some type of engine failure.

I know there's some bargaining power on the Carreras up to the 4S, but GTS and above I'm not sure (CPO). I know I'd be lucky to nab a GT3 or above at MSRP, but unsure of CPO.
      03-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #34
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
True. I'm doing more and more research every day because I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I first got into BMW. Thought hey, let me start with a nice new 335i then upgrade later. I loved the 335i, but it was lacking what I needed so I ended up upgrading to and M4.

Now I just want to get that one Porsche I can keep in my garage for at least a decade or more. I checked out used GT3's but the ones in my price range (max 150k) were 2015s that are purportedly notorious for some type of engine failure.

I know there's some bargaining power on the Carreras up to the 4S, but GTS and above I'm not sure (CPO). I know I'd be lucky to nab a GT3 or above at MSRP, but unsure of CPO.
The 2014-16 GT3's have a 10 year 120k mile engine warranty, that's way better than CPO warranty. GT3 is an amazing car but if you don't have a second car to DD then the base/S/GTS/turbo will probably be a better option to DD. You really need to drive them to get a feel for them and see what you want. You can find 14-15 GT3's in the $110-120k range pretty easily these days.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #35
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Quote:

The 2014-16 GT3's have a 10 year 120k mile engine warranty, that's way better than CPO warranty. GT3 is an amazing car but if you don't have a second car to DD then the base/S/GTS/turbo will probably be a better option to DD. You really need to drive them to get a feel for them and see what you want. You can find 14-15 GT3's in the $110-120k range pretty easily these days.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/
Thank you for that I wasn't aware of that warranty. I don't track my cars, but I do have a daily. This would just be a fun weekend car. Damn I'll have to swing by a good Porsche dealership in my general area and see what they have. I wasn't too fond of Porsche Austin when I went there once to check out cars.
      03-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #36
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep

Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

IMO the 991.1 GT3 is one of the best deals out there right now.

Everyone is caught up with the 991.2 GT3 and focused on what's going to happen with the 992 that the 991.1 has been staying under the radar. The 991.1s will age very well and I think prices will stay relatively stable, especially with the mixed reactions to the 992 and as they inevitably get larger, turbo, hybrid, etc.

Plus the 10-year engine warranty is a major benefit.
      03-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #37
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Thank you for that I wasn't aware of that warranty. I don't track my cars, but I do have a daily. This would just be a fun weekend car. Damn I'll have to swing by a good Porsche dealership in my general area and see what they have. I wasn't too fond of Porsche Austin when I went there once to check out cars.
If you’re near the Austin area, I recommend driving an hour south to Mark Motors. They have a nice selection of used 911’s, and numerous other amazing vehicles.
https://www.themarkmotors.com/luxury...o?Make=Porsche
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #38
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Quote:
If you’re near the Austin area, I recommend driving an hour south to Mark Motors. They have a nice selection of used 911’s, and numerous other amazing vehicles.
https://www.themarkmotors.com/luxury...o?Make=Porsche
Thank you! I will definitely make that drive!
      03-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #39
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

It’s an awesome place, about 5 min from my house so I stop by often. I spent a couple hours there two days ago, amazing selection.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-02-2019, 04:23 AM   #40
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:

I’ve owned a couple of 911s and a GT4 and have driven several more.

Conventional wisdom is that the GTS is the sweet spot for looks, performance and resale. I’d agree with that. It’s my favorite 991 and the best looking out of all of them.

I really like the Carrera T. Never driven one, but it’s a very popular car on RL. Handling is supposedly buttoned down and it has an updated shifter.

PDK is an outstanding transmission, but if going for a GT model - I would still prefer the manual. A .2 GT3 is going to be in the $150k range at the low end for a low miles CPO.

I had a 991.2 Turbo which had pure, violent acceleration and power. My current 993 is as fast as a VW minibus in comparison. And yet I prefer the experience of driving it...big time. Go figure.
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #41
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

No offense OP but it sounds like you have a lot of research to do. You don't even know the differences between the basic 911 variants but you seem to know that you want a Porsche (which is a good start). A few hours of simple internet research, including the Porsche website, will tell you all you need to know. There are many distinctions between the variants and the Porsche option is extensive to say the least. You will be better off taking the time to brush up on some basics and then asking the Porsche community a more direct question.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #42
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
No offense OP but it sounds like you have a lot of research to do. You don't even know the differences between the basic 911 variants but you seem to know that you want a Porsche (which is a good start). A few hours of simple internet research, including the Porsche website, will tell you all you need to know. There are many distinctions between the variants and the Porsche option is extensive to say the least. You will be better off taking the time to brush up on some basics and then asking the Porsche community a more direct question.
No I definitely agree. I know Porsche's driving experience is 2nd to none based on what I always read and see. I want to try it for myself because I'm intrigued but I'm not rushing into anything. I'm doing extensive research on my on and I learned the differences thanks to everyone here and the research I've done. Only issue I still have is figuring out the bargaining power I'd have on 911s. This forum makes it easy for M cars, but I couldn't find anything similar for Porsche. I know GT2/3 etc are selling above MSRP, but I'm wondering about the GTS's and below.
      03-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #43
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
Quote:

I’ve owned a couple of 911s and a GT4 and have driven several more.

Conventional wisdom is that the GTS is the sweet spot for looks, performance and resale. I’d agree with that. It’s my favorite 991 and the best looking out of all of them.

I really like the Carrera T. Never driven one, but it’s a very popular car on RL. Handling is supposedly buttoned down and it has an updated shifter.

PDK is an outstanding transmission, but if going for a GT model - I would still prefer the manual. A .2 GT3 is going to be in the $150k range at the low end for a low miles CPO.

I had a 991.2 Turbo which had pure, violent acceleration and power. My current 993 is as fast as a VW minibus in comparison. And yet I prefer the experience of driving it...big time. Go figure.
Thank you! That information is extremely helpful! I've been looking at the GTS and just trying to figure out now what's a good price to pay for a 2017-18 one that wouldn't depreciate much just in case I end up upgrading to a turbo or GT3.
      03-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #44
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
No I definitely agree. I know Porsche's driving experience is 2nd to none based on what I always read and see. I want to try it for myself because I'm intrigued but I'm not rushing into anything. I'm doing extensive research on my on and I learned the differences thanks to everyone here and the research I've done. Only issue I still have is figuring out the bargaining power I'd have on 911s. This forum makes it easy for M cars, but I couldn't find anything similar for Porsche. I know GT2/3 etc are selling above MSRP, but I'm wondering about the GTS's and below.
Good luck with your search! I think 5-7% off msrp is prob the norm for a base, s, or gts model. Not sure of your budget but there are considerable price differences between the variants, options not withstanding. There might even be some better deals now on a 991.2 since the 992s will start rolling in shortly.
Appreciate 0