New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Dealer computer hooked up to '97 Ford Expedition 5.4L: Amazing Data

A buddy of mine works for Ford and he brought a OBDII computer home so we could play around with my '97 Ford Expedition to see if we could get the "check engine" light to go out.

It was totally amazing the number of parameters that are monitored by the OBDII system. I bet there were about 100 different parameters that we could view on the PC. I was astonished. And this was on a 11 year old truck.

One page you can pick a bunch of different parameters and view them all on one page as a graph as you drive down the road to look for errors or idiosyncrasies.

My truck has 145K on it and we did a compression test and discovered there was no loss in compression at all on any cylinders.

I guess I'll have to hold on to my tow/winter vehicle for a few more years.

I wonder how much more data the newer cars provide.