New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-28-2019, 01:14 AM   #1
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Need help deciding on which 991.2 model for CPO

I tried posting on rennlist but didn't get much help. Maybe I posted in the wrong section? That forum is somewhat confusing for some reason.

Interested in getting my first Porsche and was looking at CPO vehicles. Primarily the 991.2 base. Found a few for 90-100k with low miles and well equipped, but didn't know if they were a good deal.

I'm not familiar with Porsche so I was wondering what you guys would recommend? I'm still trying to learn the nomenclature. It's very confusing. Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera T, Carrera 4s, Carrera GTSand so on.

I know Turbo/S, GT2/3 and up, but the lower models in looking at all seem very similar except for a few horses.

What's the sweet spot for a first timer? Have seen great deals on Carrera T models but I'm kind of wary.
      02-28-2019, 01:19 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

i'm a porsche noob too, but i suspect the carrera T's are what the e93's are in our community... 2nd class. lol
the 4s is awd, but i think the gts can come in awd too... some porsche dude told me his gts was awd.
i'd probably go with the carrera S. i was told the base carrera is a little underwhelming in some situations.
      02-28-2019, 01:29 AM   #3
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I'm no expert but here's some basic specs.

Carrera = Base model 2wd
C2S has upgraded engine with additional HP and some options are standard
C4 is their AWD wide body
C4S AWD wide body with additional HP and certain options standard
GTS has even more HP and wide body. (I don't recall this being AWD)
Turbo AWD with Turbo and WB
Turbo S, similar to C2S upgrades on base model but on a Turbo
911 T is their touring, similar to GT car but without the wing and track prepped options.
911R, one off
Targa, glass top
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 3
roastbeef11586.00
paliknight2191.50
QM287.00
      02-28-2019, 01:39 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

i confused the T with the "targa" in my post above.
      02-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post

Carrera = Base model 2wd
911 T is their touring, similar to GT car but without the wing and track prepped options.
911R, one off
Targa, glass top
Thank you that actually helps me understand more of why they could have the same engine but cost more and etc.

Now I'm wondering what's the best option lol.
      02-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #6
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm a porsche noob too, but i suspect the carrera T's are what the e93's are in our community... 2nd class. lol
the 4s is awd, but i think the gts can come in awd too... some porsche dude told me his gts was awd.
i'd probably go with the carrera S. i was told the base carrera is a little underwhelming in some situations.
Your second post makes this clear now. I appreciate your response.
      02-28-2019, 02:09 AM   #7
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

You guys think this is overpriced?

https://www.porscheaustin.com/invent...cd2a99gs178353
      02-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
That's a nice car. I'm not a fan of the 911 vert. Seems odd looking when the top is down, it kind of looks like the top was scooped off with a spoon.

Porsches are funny in the way they hold their value. My two cents is go buy CPO as you'll get better service than used but may pay a bit more. Take your time and figure out exactly what you want. Milage, model, options etc.

If you pull the trigger too quickly you may find yourself regretting what you didn't get. I would suggest that getting at minimum an "S" for the increased power and wider rear fenders. It looks like a Porsche. Do you want AWD? I am old school and wanted RWD only.

Do you want manual, they are harder to find in the new models but they are around, I think that manuals hold their value better. I think you need to figure out where you stand on Porsche, more traditional vs modern tech.

Once you buy, then you'll be hooked and always looking and may find you want to move up. What do you want the car for? Weekend cruiser, DD or track weapon. Spending the money on a GT3 may not be what you want unless you're a track guy. Great car but a lot of money if you won't be tracking it. You might want to look at Rennslist as a source to answer specific questions.

Good luck

Jim

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 02-28-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      02-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

If you can swing the cost, GTS all the way IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
That's a nice car. I'm not a fan of the 911 vert. Seems odd looking when the top is down, it kind of looks like the top was scooped off with a spoon.
I get that sentiment but man, rented one and what a blast. kids absolutely loved it, wouldn't shut up about it, i guess engine int he back and all that. I mean it's a 911 or a Mustang, not much else out there that can seat 2+2 in vert form.
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

the base models are so fast now, unless you really need the extras the S comes with, they are plenty fast enough and can be faster with a tune. If I ever get rid of my '13 Carrera S, I'd get a base model which is faster than my S.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
If you can swing the cost, GTS all the way IMHO.
Agreed. GTS all the way.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 1
Mii387.50
      02-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post

Carrera = Base model 2wd
911R, one off
Targa, glass top
GTS can be 2WD or AWD, that's why you will see 4GTS but they are much harder to find. They also have the GTS alcantara/leather combo interior option available which looks and feels pretty amazing. Turbo and Turbo S both have full leather interior standard too, and the Turbo S has carbon ceramic brakes standard.

Make sure you get a car with full leather interior or else you will regret it later. If it's a PDK car make sure it has Sport Chrono or you will regret it later.

The T is not the E93 of 991's, it is the base model with lighter weight and can be equipped with bucket seats/more interior options/etc

My advice - drive the base, S, and GTS, see which one you really like the most, then go from there. Porsche has an insanely long list of options, make sure you know which ones you want. Do A LOT of research on options or else you're going to regret your $100k purchase when you realize it doesn't have something you "should have" gotten. The 991 forum is where you want to look on Rennlist.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      02-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Porsche leather is just as bad as BMW leather. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it. Porsche plastic is nothing special either, but buying a car based on additional crappy leather seems silly. Pay for performance options, sports seats and a rear wiper, but save your money on their shite leather and their plastic brakes.
Appreciate 2
paliknight2191.50
jmg18703.50
      02-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Quote:

Porsches are funny in the way they hold their value. My two cents is go buy CPO as you'll get better service than used but may pay a bit more. Take your time and figure out exactly what you want. Milage, model, options etc.

If you pull the trigger too quickly you may find yourself regretting what you didn't get. I would suggest that getting at minimum an "S" for the increased power and wider rear fenders. It looks like a Porsche. Do you want AWD? I am old school and wanted RWD only.

Do you want manual, they are harder to find in the new models but they are around, I think that manuals hold their value better. I think you need to figure out where you stand on Porsche, more traditional vs modern tech.

Once you buy, then you'll be hooked and always looking and may find you want to move up. What do you want the car for? Weekend cruiser, DD or track weapon. Spending the money on a GT3 may not be what you want unless you're a track guy. Great car but a lot of money if you won't be tracking it. You might want to look at Rennslist as a source to answer specific questions.

Good luck

Jim
Thanks for your detailed response. This helps TREMENDOUSLY!

I appreciate you taking the time to write it up. I bought my F80s fully loaded because I'd somewhat daily them. I want to do the same with Porsche, but it seems like I'd be adding 30-40k to the price of the car.

I know I wanted Bose, PDLS+ with LEDs, "comfort access," Navi, adaptive suspension (is it worth it?), PDK. But I don't know if there's anything else I should get? I read sport Chrono, but unsure why.

Any preferred model years I should look at? Should I wait for the 992 to drop and lower prices of the 991?
      02-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Porsche leather is just as bad as BMW leather. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it. Porsche plastic is nothing special either, but buying a car based on additional crappy leather seems silly. Pay for performance options, sports seats and a rear wiper, but save your money on their shite leather and their plastic brakes.
I disagree. My Cayman didn't have full leather, my 911 does. It's so much nicer inside with the dash and doors covered in leather with contrast stitching compared to the plastic. I do agree that it's not worth paying the $5k or so for a new build, but if you can find it in a used car, it is really nice. My car has all the performance options too, sport exhaust, SPASM, SC, even the rear wiper lol.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      02-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed response. This helps TREMENDOUSLY!

I appreciate you taking the time to write it up. I bought my F80s fully loaded because I'd somewhat daily them. I want to do the same with Porsche, but it seems like I'd be adding 30-40k to the price of the car.

I know I wanted Bose, PDLS+ with LEDs, "comfort access," Navi, adaptive suspension (is it worth it?), PDK. But I don't know if there's anything else I should get? I read sport Chrono, but unsure why.

Any preferred model years I should look at? Should I wait for the 992 to drop and lower prices of the 991?
There is lots of guys who will tell you what the best Porsche (or just about anything) you should buy. There is lots of love for the 991, I'm not a fan of the rear of the 992. My neighbour has a 991 911T. Black on Black, just beautiful. He took german delivery and lapped the Ring a few time before having it shipped home. It is really nicely appointed, 7 speed manual, chrono, Bose etc. The car was cheap in my view for what it is and compared to what you can pay. It's also a bit unique without being into the GT3 or Turbo zone.

My advise is get what YOU want and spend what you are comfortable with. I think if you take your time and do your research before pulling the trigger you'll be happier than if you rush. If you've got a decent dealership near you go connect with them, drive a few cars and ask lots of questions. I found that most of the folks working there are very knowledgeable, and many of them own Porsches.

I love them all, and my neighbours 911T is tempting, but I'm old school and really love my 993. I've owned a bunch of cars, including other Porsches and always wanted a 993, it took a long time before I found the one I wanted and got to the point where I could afford it. It had almost doubled in value from when I bought my first Porsche and could afford this one.

Like I said, good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50
      02-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #18
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

You could go to the Porsche website directly and get all the information you need right there.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #19
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
You could go to the Porsche website directly and get all the information you need right there.
Agreed, but if you're seriously looking then going to a dealership where you can look at , sit in and drive a few different models and model years might help you make a more informed decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Have you been in a 991 with full leather? The leather is levels beyond a BMW, it's not even comparable.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Quote:
Have you been in a 991 with full leather? The leather is levels beyond a BMW, it's not even comparable.
It's still waxed, German leather. I'm not saying it's not nicer than the plastic interior, just that I wouldn't allocate any money for it. I'd rather have performance items. If I wanted plush and comfy, I wouldn't be looking for a Porsche. Of course I also wouldn't be shopping 991's if I were shopping for a used 911.

And yes, the 991.1tt leather I've driven doesn't seem any nicer than a full leather F12 M6 interior. Neither are anything like what a Ferrari or Aston use, much less Bentley, Rolls or even Jag. I know the Connolly cows are gone, but the Brits and Italians just do dead cow better than the Germans.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #22
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Carrera S is perfect !!!
It doesn't break the bank and performance is Stellar.

I miss my 997 S.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2