New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #529
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Here is the part I don't understand about people whining and bitching about this stuff. From my vague understanding of the law these cases go to court, where evidence is presented (that we may not even know about yet), a jury of people just like you and me then spends days, weeks or even months going over this information and coming up with a verdict.

So why the hell do some people think they know better than those who have spent days, weeks or months going over ALL the evidence?

PS: Please correct me if I'm wrong on how our legal system works.
No you're right. The problem is that there's a potential conflict of interest. The jury doesn't have access to the news coverage and what not that we do. They only have to go on what the prosecuting attorney (local district attorney) presents to them as evidence.

It is in a local DA's best interest to be on the police's good side as you will need them for future cases and their cooperation so people believe that in a lot of these cases, prosecutor's don't really bother showing compelling evidence in an effort that the jury will decline an indictment.

An easy way to solve that problem is to have special prosecutors come in for cases where local law enforcement is involved so that the conflict of interest is eliminated.

In fact NY is debating that very idea as a result of this, http://www.nhregister.com/general-ne...al-prosecutors
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #530
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Here is the part I don't understand about people whining and bitching about this stuff. From my vague understanding of the law these cases go to court, where evidence is presented (that we may not even know about yet), a jury of people just like you and me then spends days, weeks or even months going over this information and coming up with a verdict.

So why the hell do some people think they know better than those who have spent days, weeks or months going over ALL the evidence?

PS: Please correct me if I'm wrong on how our legal system works.
In their view, the "entire system" is currupt so there will never be a fair trial.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #531
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Tyler Perry, Bill Cosby, Kat Williams, Oprah, and Will Smith.
Yeah, what about them?
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #532
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Yeah, what about them?
Those are the minorities that I know...., just answering the question, sir.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #533
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Here is an example as to why cops take down large suspects in a way that gives them total control over the suspect. Even a slight weight advantage, better grappling skills, etc... can turn the tables in an arrest.

Sad video. Knowing that if simply one of the people watching the struggle had stepped in to lend a hand, he'd still be alive. Ultimately, the firefighter is responsible for his actions and paid the price.

It boggles my mind how many people think the cop wasn't justified to shoot him. "He was just punching him!"

I don't know what it is that prevents people from taking attacks seriously. If someone broke into their house in the middle of the night and was "just punching them" in side the of the head and bouncing it off the ground, I have a pretty hard time believing they'd hold the same opinion. I don't know why people have such a hard time relating with what police have to deal with. :/

Unfortunately, that's a big factor in a lot of these incidents. People look at what the perp did and don't think it warrants any action let alone deadly force.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #534
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

More protests in the past day or two. People were breaking into businesses and destroying properties, including a few cop cars. A man got hit in the head with a hammer while trying to prevent a Radio Shack from getting broken into. Tonight there has been some fencing that was torn down. Estimated 2,000 protestors walking on highway backing up traffic for miles. It took me almost 2 hrs to get home tonight because some girl was going to jump off the overpass onto the freeway (whether it was related to the protests I don't know) and now this protest bullshit??!! Enough is enough!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #535
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
More protests in the past day or two. People were breaking into businesses and destroying properties, including a few cop cars. A man got hit in the head with a hammer while trying to prevent a Radio Shack from getting broken into. Tonight there has been some fencing that was torn down. Estimated 2,000 protestors walking on highway backing up traffic for miles. It took me almost 2 hrs to get home tonight because some girl was going to jump off the overpass onto the freeway (whether it was related to the protests I don't know) and now this protest bullshit??!! Enough is enough!!
You know, we have some wonderful snowplows up here with big heavy trucks powering them. I feel that if you have one in each lane when there are 2000 protestors on the highway, the highway would be clear in no time.

You are more than welcome to contact our municipality and seek to borrow them in between our snowfalls.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #536
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ You been getting ideas from the Walking Dead?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #537
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Never watched it - I'm just not interested in the zombie fascination that seems to be sweeping across North America, and I figure that show is more of the same, so I haven't bothered.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #538
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

We must have given you guys the idea to sit in the street - they've been there 2months WTF

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #539
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I can't decide if I'm pissed that Time magazine even considered these Ferguson protestors for "Person(s) of the Year" or happy that they chose the Ebola responders instead of them...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #540
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

The only things the cops did wrong in either incident is 1 they didn't call for medical assistance soon enough. If you have an obese person who could be having medical issues that should have been done. 2 they didn't arrest the protesters in mass when they switched from protesting to rioting, looting, and arson 3 they didn't protect the minority shop owners from the rioters.

If I hear one more time he was in a choke hold I'm going to scream. He wasn't. It was a head lock. Totally different. It does not cut off a person's airway or blood flow. The autopsy proved it didn't and 6 years of martial arts tells me it was applied correctly as per the officers legal guidelines and training. The perpetrator was resisting arrest snd guilty of assaulting an officer when it was applied. Case closed.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #541
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Get a 40 man squad, rubber bullets and start spraying, you will see them running away like a cat in cold water. It works in europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #542
Kevin52
UMN
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 e90 328i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
The only things the cops did wrong in either incident is 1 they didn't call for medical assistance soon enough. If you have an obese person who could be having medical issues that should have been done. 2 they didn't arrest the protesters in mass when they switched from protesting to rioting, looting, and arson 3 they didn't protect the minority shop owners from the rioters.

If I hear one more time he was in a choke hold I'm going to scream. He wasn't. It was a head lock. Totally different. It does not cut off a person's airway or blood flow. The autopsy proved it didn't and 6 years of martial arts tells me it was applied correctly as per the officers legal guidelines and training. The perpetrator was resisting arrest snd guilty of assaulting an officer when it was applied. Case closed.
Thank you! Finally somebody gets it lol
      12-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #543
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1

Thank you! Finally somebody gets it lol
Agreed also... People are making this NY thing a race thing and it isn't. I live here and these protestors are affecting my life, my sons commute and my business from running. So while these idiots are out there being "peaceful" which is bullshit, the people that work, commute, and go to school are suffering. I'm sick of the shit. The cause is long lost as this point and now they are just becoming a menace to society... Maybe their on the juice:-)

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #544
omgitsjoe
Rep

Drives: Infinite

I'm sorry but I do not view this " Time Man of the Year " award too highly.

Adolf Hitler was " The Time Man of the Year " for 1938 right before he started World War II where millions perished because of him.

Ayatollah Khomeini also had this honor in 1979 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #545
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsjoe View Post

Adolf Hitler was " The Time Man of the Year " for 1938 right before he started World War II where millions perished because of him.

FYI: this award is not like a Miss Congeniality award or something. It's not for who does the most good.

It goes to the person or entity who, for better or for worse, most significantly impacts the world that year. Hitler was a pretty appropriate choice, all things considered.
      12-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #546
omgitsjoe
Rep

Drives: Infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
FYI: this award is not like a Miss Congeniality award or something. It's not for who does the most good.

It goes to the person or entity who, for better or for worse, most significantly impacts the world that year. Hitler was a pretty appropriate choice, all things considered.
Ahhh my bad. Well Hitler was most certainly for worse IMHO ??? I had thought the award was for " good " and didnt realize it was for either / or ! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #547
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Well, Hitler had been busy pulling Germany out of abject poverty after they were carved up by World War I reparations. I always heard that he was made 1938 MOTY because he did so much to rebuild the country before he went to work killing folks in 1939.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #548
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Well, Hitler had been busy pulling Germany out of abject poverty after they were carved up by World War I reparations. I always heard that he was made 1938 MOTY because he did so much to rebuild the country before he went to work killing folks in 1939.
I hadn't heard that, but I suppose it could be true....

People tend to always remember how things ended, more than how they started. Reminds me of that old joke "aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play ?"
      12-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #549
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsjoe View Post

For starters it's person of the year (but I won't hold that against you) and it's not a popularity contest. It goes to someone (or a group of people) who've impacted the world tremendously over the past year. Given that criteria I still don't think Ferguson should've won (nor Taylor Swift...who was also on the short list) but Vladimir Putin wouldn't of been a bad choice given the criteria. Between hosting the winter olympics, the mess in Ukraine, and his overall proclivity towards starting another Cold War, he seems like a reasonable choice.

But yeah, that's why Hitler and Khomeini won, the change or influence they bring about the world can be good or bad. But that's why Ferguson protesters were on the short list as one could make the argument that they are bringing attention racial inequality in the US, their method in doing so is questionable but that's not really the point as far as Time Magazine is concerned. In 2006 I was person of the year, pretty neato.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #550
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Another great case of fine police work.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/loc...back/20213383/

She says, "Between 10:30 and 11, I turned the light off upstairs. I heard a car coming up the driveway really fast, and I looked up the upstairs window. I saw a black vehicle with no lights. I saw 6 to 8 men, coming around the side of my house, and I panicked. I came running downstairs, yelling for David to wake up. He was in the bedroom asleep, had been for about an hour and a half. When I got downstairs to the bottom of the stairs, he opened the door and he had a gun in his hand, and he said, 'Who is it?,' and I said I didn't know. He stepped back into the bedroom like he was going to grab his pants, but before he could do that, the door was busted down. He came around me, in the hall, into the den, and I was gonna come behind him, but before I could step into the den the shots were fired, and it was over."
Appreciate 1