New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

07-16-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I don't care and I'm probably not the only one.

I gave up on pro sports. It took about 10 years to totally wean myself off, but finally I am over it.

These arrogant f*cks (I'll bet you are thinking of the same names I am) think they can dictate to the coaches and ownership whats going to happen. You have players protesting while in the team uniform. Stratospheric contracts that make no financial sense causing obscene ticket prices, digital advertisement on the field of play to help pay for it all.

Once in awhile I will catch a game on TV just to see if I can get drawn back in. Usually, I watch for 5 or 10 minutes and turn it off. No sense of team. It's all me players.

Today, I read that a 23 year old Nationals baseball player rejected a $440 million 15 year contact. The biggest contract in MLB history and he turned it down!

You have well paid and pampered PGA players going for the money and leaving the PGA. Don't get me wrong, they have every right to do so, but at what cost? The PGA gave them the platform on which to be very rich and that's just not enough.

I just don't care anymore about pro sports in general. Something has got to give or its all going to come crashing down into one financial mess. As more life-long sports fans realize that they are enablers of this arrogant, ridiculous behavior, the wheels will come off of pro sports in its current business model.

I don't care. Honestly, I really don't care anymore. I'd rather go watch my grandson's little league games. At least I know they are there for the pure fun of sports.

Flame away if you like, because as I said before, I don't care!

Anybody else had enough of this bull$hit, or is it just me?
Appreciate 9
      07-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #2
Bingham
Private
Rep

Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Uh yup, wut took u so long…?
Appreciate 6
sygazelle11091.00
540iSUP703.00
Dino GT35121.00
Todd0131379.50
DocL1922.50
cotmfk2023.50
      07-16-2022, 10:11 PM   #3
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
Uh yup, wut took u so long…?
That's a great question. It's probably rhetorical, but here it goes:

I suppose its the respect I have for the level of talent.

Remembering back to high school and how good our best athletes were? Well, only 1 athlete in like 1,000 high schools in a given year makes it into pro sports. The very best players in a given sport are one-in-several million or even one in a billion. It's a pleasure to watch the pure natural gift and talent of these athletes. It took a few years for me to quit caring about the pure talent aspect of sports because of the overriding hatred of what pro sports has become.

Then, came the betting aspect of pro sports. When I read about how sports bettors are pi$$ed because a coach makes and end of game call that makes them lose money just baffles my mind. A sports coach is supposed to be thinking about the spread when he/she makes calls? Well, that's just plain stupid.
Appreciate 3
540iSUP703.00
Bingham276.00
      07-16-2022, 11:18 PM   #4
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

I abandoned MLB when they went on strike, I left NHL behind when they went on strike and cancelled the season (although they were grossly underpaid). I have hated what Roger Godhell has done to ruin NFL, and for a life-long Steeler fan I have been struggling to pull away for years, but i’m pretty sure I’m done now. It’s just not enjoyable now and you can’t even watch a game, everything is blacked out and they offer no streaming service. NBA isn’t a sport IMO so never got into that, basketball is a sport, just not NBA.

All these sports mired in politics, crime, and absurd money, and the way you can just rape 40 women and keep your job blows my mind. The money is simply broken - like really, who gets 1 billion dollars for 10 year contract tossing a football around. I refuse to acknowledge FIFA soccer as a sport, I can’t take it serious or get behind anything that has no known time limit or end… it just continues on until some idiot ref decides he’s had enough and the phony acting to draw penalties is a plague and belongs on a blooper reel not in a professional sport. Golf is a skill/talent not a sport, and offers very little competition or sportsmanship.

I’ve been watching F1 for two years now - it’s 100% filled my primal need for competition, sport, sportsmanship, adrenaline, excitement and it has infinitely more class and professionalism than any American sport. And on top of that, it’s loaded with insane technology and engineering… and you can stream an entire year for $79 without a single commercial and the race is 1-2 hours non-stop. It’s perfect.

All this is obviously just my opinion, there’s a reason they can throw billions at rapists, the fans just keep coming. But I’m with ya, I think I’m done with all that BS.
Appreciate 4
      07-17-2022, 02:01 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E91 330d

Man, American sports must be bad if F1 seems so good! Paying money to watch that? Hard pass.

I honestly can't think of a sport I'd pay money to watch... However, I'd choose rugby over soccer any day. Or superbikes/Moto GP over car racing. Or something like touring cars etc over F1. Really the bottom line is that the highest paid sports are ruined by the money; it erodes the sport down to just a business, because decisions are made based on financial factors rather than in the interest of the sport itself.

I'm a mountain biker at heart, and we're seeing this problem appear as the sport grows rapidly; tracks are increasingly shaped to produce visual spectacle instead of good, safe (as possible) racing. Racers aren't consulted on many aspects of the events. Less exposure and air time is given to junior riders because the assumption is that the biggest audience will only want to watch the elites. Media rights are extremely limited, and we no longer get privateers and small media outlets producing any of their excellent and varied coverage of races... It became dull to watch as soon as red bull took over, and with discovery taking over from them next year it's set to get worse. Racers are taking matters into their own hands and setting up their own representation to ensure that they are not overlooked when decisions are made. Sad state.
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11091.00
nicholasn261.00
      07-17-2022, 06:35 AM   #6
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

I gave up on pro-sports decades ago. The money is obscene. I took my kids to a Leafs Detroit playoff game 20 years ago, it cost me an arm and a leg. They had a great time but then I had to decide do I spend my money on that or college fund. I just don't get the value. Then now with every athlete/celeb having to voice an opinion on politics etc it's just too much. I go to my buddies place for Super Bowl, but its about the beer and chilli really.
Appreciate 2
Dino GT35121.00
sygazelle11091.00
      07-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #7
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Generally speaking, people have stopped subscribing to the "what's good for the team/group/Country" mentality and now have the "what's best for me" attitude. An individual will usually take the money and run and let others fight for the scraps.
      07-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #8
damack
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2017 F31 330xi

Garage List
Pro sports...I watch for the entertainment. I watch the game. I don't really care what player x did last week, if player y is a good person. Who cares? I'm entertained by the game and don't really care what's going on off the track, court, field, pitch, ice etc.
Appreciate 2
happyjack1657.00
eliphil1732.00
      07-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #9
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I'll watch it from time to time but do not contribute to it aka merchandise or tickets.
Appreciate 3
tcphoto3477.00
Dino GT35121.00
sygazelle11091.00
      07-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #10
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

I just love the strangeness of "I don't care, so let me pen a diatribe explaining to you why I don't care."

What it really boils down to is, "Things have changed and I want them to be like they were before." If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't have posted.
Appreciate 4
sygazelle11091.00
shiftdnb376.50
KJ10474.00
      07-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #11
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I just love the strangeness of "I don't care, so let me pen a diatribe explaining to you why I don't care."

What it really boils down to is, "Things have changed and I want them to be like they were before." If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't have posted.
He posted because he cares that pro sports have gone down the shitter. I agree with him 100%. It's worthy of discussion, and that's why he posted about it. Nobody forced you to read it or comment about it if YOU don't care, yet here we are.
dizz81296.00
sygazelle11091.00
nicholasn261.00
      07-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #12
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Haven't watched a pro *ANYTHING* for nearly 10 years. It's inane entertainment for people with nothing better to do.

I woke up after a game I went to with my buddy. Our team lost, and he said "this is the worst thing that's happened all month".

At that point, I realized how that rang compared to my life. (I work in healthcare). If losing some stupid ballgame is the worst thing that can happen to you? You need to pray to God about how he's blessed you. Nobody died. Nobody's life was immeasurably changed. Nobody lost an organ or limb. Nobody's nightmares will be filled with THAT MOMENT forever (unless nothing actually bad ever happens to you).

I began to ignore most sports at that point. I recognize how talented those people can be. But, unless they are acting in human service, and not just themselves, they're a drain on society's resources where we have homeless people running around needing resources and can't get them, and $440 million is not enough for one person with an overgrown ego.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11091.00
      07-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #13
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
He posted because he cares that pro sports have gone down the shitter. I agree with him 100%. It's worthy of discussion, and that's why he posted about it. Nobody forced you to read it or comment about it if YOU don't care, yet here we are.
Where did I say I don't care?

I still watch the NBA. The contracts are ridiculous, but it's not like I can change that.

I find it far more entertaining than the NFL or the MLB where the vast majority for 3.5 hours is literally no action, nothing happening. NHL never interested me. Went to a few minor league games, it's fun when it's live.

NBA, Ok St Football and F1 are about the only things I pay attention to. OK ST mainly because my fiance, mom, best friend, a bunch of other friends, and myself all graduated from there. And now we've started buying season tickets, so that makes it fun getting to be in the middle of the college football atmosphere.

Although I don't think we are going to be as good as we have been the past few seasons with so many defensive starters leaving.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #14
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I gave up on pro sports. It took about 10 years to totally wean myself off, but finally I am over it.

These arrogant f*cks (I'll bet you are thinking of the same names I am) think they can dictate to the coaches and ownership whats going to happen. You have players protesting while in the team uniform. Stratospheric contracts that make no financial sense causing obscene ticket prices, digital advertisement on the field of play to help pay for it all.

Once in awhile I will catch a game on TV just to see if I can get drawn back in. Usually, I watch for 5 or 10 minutes and turn it off. No sense of team. It's all me players.

Today, I read that a 23 year old Nationals baseball player rejected a $440 million 15 year contact. The biggest contract in MLB history and he turned it down!

You have well paid and pampered PGA players going for the money and leaving the PGA. Don't get me wrong, they have every right to do so, but at what cost? The PGA gave them the platform on which to be very rich and that's just not enough.

I just don't care anymore about pro sports in general. Something has got to give or its all going to come crashing down into one financial mess. As more life-long sports fans realize that they are enablers of this arrogant, ridiculous behavior, the wheels will come off of pro sports in its current business model.

I don't care. Honestly, I really don't care anymore. I'd rather go watch my grandson's little league games. At least I know they are there for the pure fun of sports.

Flame away if you like, because as I said before, I don't care!

While its the biggest total amount ever, its #10 in average salary per year. For a 23yo who is one of the best in the league, its a pretty big lowball offer by the nationals. its $14mill per year less than the #1 guy, and pretty much everyone agrees he should be paid top dollar, if not more than top dollar. He'll get $440mill/10years or more most likely.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 02:26 AM   #15
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
While its the biggest total amount ever, its #10 in average salary per year. For a 23yo who is one of the best in the league, its a pretty big lowball offer by the nationals. its $14mill per year less than the #1 guy, and pretty much everyone agrees he should be paid top dollar, if not more than top dollar. He'll get $440mill/10years or more most likely.
Will he play better if they pay him more?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 02:42 AM   #16
Hopied
Rep

Drives: Bmw f20

I understand you frustrating
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I won't watch a team if I can't watch them on TV. Most of the time. I still have Dodgers tickets for a few more games, and some new jersey lettering, but I can't watch local games because I have a different cable company than who the Dodgers signed a contract with. I ALMOST became an Angels fan.

For MLS, Galaxy did the same thing. A coworker gave me his tickets for one LAFC game, screw the Galaxy, FC was so much more fun.

NBA, what's that?

Sy, I might have to disagree about Little League. That parents have become such an issue. Why are grown men fighting over a 10yo baseball game, to the point cops have to come. Why is every other snackbar the genesis of embezzlement charges? I used to LOVE to referee AYSO, but I simply could no longer stand the comments from the sidelines. Sorry, but there are no scouts from college, never mind pro sports are your local event. Let the kids PLAY!!
      07-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #18
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Will he play better if they pay him more?
i mean, hes already pretty good.

2018 2nd in NL Rookie of the year voting despite not playing the entire season.
2019 babe ruth award and a world series championship where he led the team in runs, home runs, hits and walks
2020 batting champion, silver slugger, 1st team all MLB
2021 2nd place in mvp voting, 1st team all MLB, silver slugger
2022 just won the home run derby

and hes only 23. sky's the limit for him.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 06:15 PM   #19
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

I hope the real reason he turned it down is because he'd prefer to play for another team even if the money is worse
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #20
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

Thanks for taking my invitation to flame away. I appreciate your point of view but you really couldn't be further from the point as to what I am thinking or why I wrote the post.

Given your ability to decide for me how I am thinking I'm sure this response will result in some totally off base response from you. That's okay. Go for it if you must.

First, it's not strange at all to post something in an off topic forum and then explain why you feel that way. That's all I did here.

Second, your boiling it down comment is just plain off base. I am not one of those who is frozen in the past and hates everything new and wishes everything is as it used to be in the "good old days". That kind of thinking is not realistic. Things change and nothing is going to stop change. Living in the past and hating the future does not make sense to me at all. Why hate what precious time we have left on this earth because it isn't the same as it was before? Not me. Never once did I say pro sports should be like it used to be so I would be happy. I just said it can't keep on its current trajectory without some type of financial implosion. I don't expect pro sports to change for me. I simply won't partake anymore. They are free to dispense a product of their liking and I am free to not buy it. It's really that simple

Lastly, I posted because I was interested in knowing whether or not there are other forum members who are also fed up with what pro sports has become.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 07:20 PM   #21
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

I pretty much abandoned professional sports about ten years ago. Who wins what, and who gets paid how much makes no difference in my day to day life. I have never worn a jersey with someone else's name on the back, and I doubt any athlete would wear a scrub shirt with my name on it.
Dino GT35121.00
      07-20-2022, 09:19 PM   #22
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M550I

There is so much I cant stand about pro sports most mentioned in this thread but the bottom line is that myself and many others truly love a great game ( especially playoff games) which is why we watch. I cant stand the pampered athletes, greedy owners........ but it will not prevent me from watching my favorite teams. The one issue that may impact many will be the trend toward streaming and pat per view. That could be a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0