New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Jlaw118
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 330e

2023 BMW 320i - Preconditioning?

Hi All,

New to the forum and first post!

I've currently got a 2021 BMW 330e. I love the car and the overall 3 Series, but the car is just not working out for me with the smaller fuel tank and boot space due to the high-voltage battery, and for the little I charge the vehicle it's just not worth it.

I've just ordered the new, face-lifted 320i xDrive, estimated delivery around March/April time. I can't wait! I've fully specced it up and looking forward to having a car that's not as stressful taking hours to charge for a measly 20 miles

Anyway, it's just crossed my mind how useful I find the preconditioning feature on my 330e an absolute god send for both warm and cold conditions. Just a quick tap of the button on my app and half an hour later the climate is perfect. And it's got me asking myself whether the 320i will have this in?

I know the 330e pulls the power from the HV battery/wall socket. So it's making me question whether the 320i would have this in and if so how it would pull the power?

Just been trying to Google it today but got nowhere with it. I've seen that a few of the X Models have Auxiliary Ventilation?

Any help/advice? It wouldn't be a dealbreaker but I just don't want to wait until the Spring time to take delivery and find out
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaw118 View Post
I know the 330e pulls the power from the HV battery/wall socket. So it's making me question whether the 320i would have this in and if so how it would pull the power?

Just been trying to Google it today but got nowhere with it. I've seen that a few of the X Models have Auxiliary Ventilation?

Any help/advice? It wouldn't be a dealbreaker but I just don't want to wait until the Spring time to take delivery and find out
Traditionally you'd have the fuel powered auxiliary heating package optioned to get preheating.

UK has not had this option on many models through the years, even though some markets have them. Worth checking with your dealer, see if there is the option.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlaw118 View Post
Hi All,

New to the forum and first post!

I've currently got a 2021 BMW 330e. I love the car and the overall 3 Series, but the car is just not working out for me with the smaller fuel tank and boot space due to the high-voltage battery, and for the little I charge the vehicle it's just not worth it.

I've just ordered the new, face-lifted 320i xDrive, estimated delivery around March/April time. I can't wait! I've fully specced it up and looking forward to having a car that's not as stressful taking hours to charge for a measly 20 miles

Anyway, it's just crossed my mind how useful I find the preconditioning feature on my 330e an absolute god send for both warm and cold conditions. Just a quick tap of the button on my app and half an hour later the climate is perfect. And it's got me asking myself whether the 320i will have this in?

I don't believe you can just turn on the AC like you can on the PHEV. If you have remote start, then that will run the AC but I don't know if remote start is on a 320.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't believe you can just turn on the AC like you can on the PHEV. If you have remote start, then that will run the AC but I don't know if remote start is on a 320.
Remote start is not activated in the UK. Exactly why, is debated, but it is illegal to simply run our engines on idle 'unattended' on public roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Remote start is not activated in the UK. Exactly why, is debated, but it is illegal to simply run our engines on idle 'unattended' on public roads.
sound slike more insurance related? maybe it would push BMW into higher insurance category.

Not sure there is actually a law that prohibits motorists from having stationary car with engine on? I would think insurance will have problem with this especially if vehicle gets stolen as a result of this
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
sound slike more insurance related? maybe it would push BMW into higher insurance category.

Not sure there is actually a law that prohibits motorists from having stationary car with engine on? I would think insurance will have problem with this especially if vehicle gets stolen as a result of this
Insurance almost certainly will be involved.

As to the law, yes, engine idling is against the law in many circumstances.

Section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 prohibits leaving your engine on when it is not needed. This act enforces Rule 123 of the Highway Code.

Quote:
123. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.
Law CUR regs 98 & 107
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
What’s the range difference? I’d assume a properly charged 330e would likely exceed a 330i.

My 530e easily exceeds 50MPG on longer drives outside of my range. So I’d expect better results in a lighter vehicle like a 330e.

Losing preconditioning would be tough to throw into the mix as well.
Appreciate 0