New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #23
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Why is Lincoln so bad? What’s their problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #24
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Still remember this Model Y video that killed any left desire in me to buy a Tesla.

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:06 AM   #25
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Still remember this Model Y video that killed any left desire in me to buy a Tesla.

Having owned a Model Y Performance for almost a year, I have to say that video is an outlier. It would not have such a high customer satisfaction with such poor quality.

One thing to avoid on a Tesla is FSD. We never got it and never will. The standard auto pilot is good enough.

I doubt the GLE is 'the most' unreliable car sold in the US! Ok. May be it is according to CR.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:18 AM   #26
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Having owned a Model Y Performance for almost a year, I have to say that video is an outlier. It would not have such a high customer satisfaction with such poor quality.

One thing to avoid on a Tesla is FSD. We never got it and never will. The standard auto pilot is good enough.

I doubt the GLE is 'the most' unreliable car sold in the US! Ok. May be it is according to CR.
FCX5 What is your experience with the GLE?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #27
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Quote:

FCX5 What is your experience with the GLE?
No experience with the GLE. But knowing Mercedes's reputation, to have the most unreliable car sold in the US seems unlikely… to me.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      11-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #28
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
No experience with the GLE. But knowing Mercedes's reputation, to have the most unreliable car sold in the US seems unlikely… to me.
Have a read at mbworld about the 48V system on the X/V167 (GLS/GLE). Both the 48V system and vehicle platform intro were flops. The 48V system has failed on other models including CLS and E-Class. MB didn’t get the job done; they failed.

Then read about other recent MB flops, most of which happen at fewer than 100k miles and require engine replacement. These affect 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines, not isolated cases:

Timing chains
Valve guides
Cylinder scuffing
Piston cracking
Oil in wiring harness
Bluetec diesel technology
Cylinder head bolts

Plus other lovely features like new vehicle cracking seat material and very low mileage through-paint body rust. MB is arguably garbage.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #29
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
A new video from Roadshow about the Model Y.

Has anyone who drives a Model Y seen this phantom braking issue? Seems concerning.

Also, the winters here mean a lot of salt spray on the roads that cover up camera lenses. I doubt most owners would bother to wipe down each camera lens regularly until they wash it. I didn't realize Tesla didn't use radar-based systems.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #30
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Maybe you just don't know their reputation like you think you do. Poor reliability is their reputation.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      11-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Why is Lincoln so bad? What’s their problem?
Fix
Or
Repair
Dailly
Appreciate 1
2000cs3443.50
      11-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #32
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Maybe you just don't know their reputation like you think you do. Poor reliability is their reputation.
Everybody I know with Mercs has quality issues, even in new cars. The C-class is especially bad. I've yet to sit in one without creaking and squeaking regardless of mileage. My brother's has like 10k miles and is at the dealer every other month for something. A friend's new C63 Coupe ended up being a lemon.

Last edited by Germanauto; 11-28-2021 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
AlexFL7833.00
      11-28-2021, 11:40 PM   #33
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Everybody I know with Mercs has quality issues, even in new cars. The C-class is especially bad. I've yet to sit in one without creaking and squeaking regardless of mileage. My brother's has like 10k miles and is at the dealer every other month for something. A friend's new C63 Coupe ended up being a lemon.
Good to know. Luckily I've never been attracted to their styling. Never considered a Mercedes.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      11-29-2021, 02:44 AM   #34
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd34 View Post
A new video from Roadshow about the Model Y.

Has anyone who drives a Model Y seen this phantom braking issue? Seems concerning.

Also, the winters here mean a lot of salt spray on the roads that cover up camera lenses. I doubt most owners would bother to wipe down each camera lens regularly until they wash it. I didn't realize Tesla didn't use radar-based systems.

This was posted on another thread. I DD a Model Y Performance and this is a gross exaggeration of what the actually experience is. Also, in the video, the guy basically likes everything about the Model Y, except the Autopilot. We did not pay $10K for the FSD feature that he did and that was the mistake he made. He could have saved it and upgraded to a Model Y Performance instead.

He complains about white seats having color transfer. Like me, he should have gotten the black interior. Any white seat will have color transfer.

That video comes off as click bait. JMHO.
Appreciate 1
syd34213.00
      11-29-2021, 07:24 AM   #35
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

It's weird in the Tesla forums as you have a group of owners that say their white seats have had no issues staying clean but then you have people that followed that advice and bought white only to show lots of stains and color transfer from denim. Even the seatbelts leave stains that can't be removed. Also it seems the phantom braking is a much bigger issue now that Tesla deleted radar to save more money.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #36
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Have a read at mbworld about the 48V system on the X/V167 (GLS/GLE). Both the 48V system and vehicle platform intro were flops. The 48V system has failed on other models including CLS and E-Class. MB didn’t get the job done; they failed.

Then read about other recent MB flops, most of which happen at fewer than 100k miles and require engine replacement. These affect 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines, not isolated cases:

Timing chains
Valve guides
Cylinder scuffing
Piston cracking
Oil in wiring harness
Bluetec diesel technology
Cylinder head bolts

Plus other lovely features like new vehicle cracking seat material and very low mileage through-paint body rust. MB is arguably garbage.
I owned a C32 AMG.

If I reached into the car to get something and put a knee on the cushion, it would break the heating element. Had 3 replaced under warranty before I remember to not put a knee on the cushion.

Final straw was coolant in the transmission! Turns out MB thought it a good design to route the transmission fluid through the radiator, which is fine, except they chose to use plastic piping which cracked and circulated coolant into the transmission.

I'll NEVER buy another MB!
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
Cos270608.50
AlexFL7833.00
      12-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #37
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Anecdotal experience: Only problem in about 3 years are cracked rims which seems to be a common problem with C43. Two cracks at about 150$ a piece in about 25k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #38
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
An element that influences car makers when they have to make various trade offs is the different expectations of their targeted customers. Toyotas are known to be very popular with people who just want a highly reliable appliance that will just get them from A to B. That's a very different group of people than who are looking at 'sports cars'. Mercedes is probably aware that they have some issues, but they may have carefully calculated that reliability for their customers means something different than for other makes and they can afford a certain level of imperfection. The same is true for Porsche and even Tesla in the sense that they really just have to keep people happy with the car which means how well it meets their main expectation (looks, driving qualities, prestige, comfort, etc - not always reliability).
Consumer Reports lives by the same code- know your customer and give them what they want, which for them means reporting reliability and perfomance data to people who want that information before purchasing things. That's clearly not everyone which is why their auto reviews can seem poor to people who have very different expectations about cars.