New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-26-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Tesla Plaid Looks

Does anyone here objectively believe this car is good looking? If so what parts? I’m really interested in hearing what BMW enthusiast think?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #2
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Drives: F10

I do like the way it looks, especially in black color which covers the width better than lighter colors. I think Model S is one of the best looking hatchbacks, they did a good job to make it look like a sedan. In addition, it has a ton of cargo space inside for a bike to lay flat, sleeping bed or 3rd row seats (in previous gen.) very nicely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Does anyone here objectively believe this car is good looking? If so what parts? I’m really interested in hearing what BMW enthusiast think?

Last edited by Sedoy; 11-26-2021 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:47 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

I think it looks good, but its starting to look stale since the design is now 9-years old. I really thought they would change the exterior more when the Plaid came out.
JasonDot579.50
Vic5518961.00
      11-27-2021, 12:01 AM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Since a colleague has one, in real life the little changes make it look quite aggressive. There is both an M5CS and Plaid in our office parking lot on many days…the Plaid easily holds it's own from exterior styling perspective.
Appreciate 1
Vic5518961.00
      11-27-2021, 12:20 AM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Having been seeing the Model S literally everywhere (Bay Area) since 2013ish, I think the same now as I did then and every point in between… very inoffensive, generally good looking car. I think with the 2016 refresh it got a little bit more generic, but I guess had more mass appeal. The minor plaid cosmetic differences really don’t do anything for me. Nothing exciting about its design tho, there are MUCH better looking EVs out there these days (Taycan, E-Tron GT, heck even the Polestars)
      11-27-2021, 01:43 AM   #6
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

If one were to dress a turd, then you would think they could pick better clothes.

No.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:07 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

The lucid looks nice
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
Patton2502936.50
AlexFL7833.00
      11-27-2021, 06:23 AM   #8
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Since a colleague has one, in real life the little changes make it look quite aggressive. There is both an M5CS and Plaid in our office parking lot on many days…the Plaid easily holds it's own from exterior styling perspective.
You see this is what I mean. I cannot disagree more. I mean sincerely disagree. I think most M’s, the 3,5 and 8 are in a completely different league of looks than the plaid. In my opinion it’s not fair to even compare they are that much better. This is why I’m so confused and I started this thread. The plaid is $140,000. Yes it’s fast as lightning and faster than anything else but as everyone points out especially those that dislike the new G80 you have to be able to walk up to your car and say you love the way it looks. I think all Tesla‘s lack a sports car look that should come with something that’s fast. I have no idea why Tesla didn’t make the fastest car in the fleet look awesome like a Mustang or a Corvette or a Camaro or an M car. This is why I’m asking here to see if some of you think they did. I think it lacks looks so bad that it would definitely keep me from buying it. I could swing the pricing although it would be painful. Aside from the looks I would consider it because of its extreme speed but the way it looks totally dominates the speed benefits in my opinion and therefore would cancel any decision I would make to purchase one. Another example. The dodge charger and challenger both are very fast and sick muscle cars but I don’t like the way either one of them look at all so therefore because of that I could never buy one. Just like some here don’t like the new G80 even know they love the history of the M3 they are not going to fork over 90K if they don’t like the looks of the thing and it bothers them. I don’t blame them one bit for that.

Another question I have an I suppose I could learn this from watching a YouTube video but since we are discussing it here how does the plaid handle compared to an M car? Is it great at cornering and breaking? I did read comments on this forum that the parts inside the car seem cheap and flimsy. Any truth to that?
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      11-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #9
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You see this is what I mean. I cannot disagree more. I mean sincerely disagree. I think most M’s, the 3,5 and 8 are in a completely different league of looks than the plaid. In my opinion it’s not fair to even compare they are that much better. This is why I’m so confused and I started this thread. The plaid is $140,000. Yes it’s fast as lightning and faster than anything else but as everyone points out especially those that dislike the new G80 you have to be able to walk up to your car and say you love the way it looks. I think all Tesla‘s lack a sports car look that should come with something that’s fast. I have no idea why Tesla didn’t make the fastest car in the fleet look awesome like a Mustang or a Corvette or a Camaro or an M car. This is why I’m asking here to see if some of you think they did. I think it lacks looks so bad that it would definitely keep me from buying it. I could swing the pricing although it would be painful. Aside from the looks I would consider it because of its extreme speed but the way it looks totally dominates the speed benefits in my opinion and therefore would cancel any decision I would make to purchase one. Another example. The dodge charger and challenger both are very fast and sick muscle cars but I don’t like the way either one of them look at all so therefore because of that I could never buy one. Just like some here don’t like the new G80 even know they love the history of the M3 they are not going to fork over 90K if they don’t like the looks of the thing and it bothers them. I don’t blame them one bit for that.

Another question I have an I suppose I could learn this from watching a YouTube video but since we are discussing it here how does the plaid handle compared to an M car? Is it great at cornering and breaking? I did read comments on this forum that the parts inside the car seem cheap and flimsy. Any truth to that?
The interior is fine. Although not as nice as an M5 - not even close. Around the Nurburgring it is about as quick as the M5CS.

But it has 'very' comfortable seats (although feels a little rubbery to me - as cnet also noted in their Model Y review), the audio system is 'great' the interior is clean and spacious and sound isolation is also very good, but the yoke is a completely unnecessary gimmick. The guy I know who owns the Plaid used to drive a 750i X Drive and loves the Plaid - yoke and all.

Personally, I'd buy the M5CS over the Plaid, but I think most people would spend the money on the Tesla over the M5CS - which is a fact given relative sales. Sales does not equal better, but at the same price point it means something…

Last edited by FCX5; 11-27-2021 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
Patton2502936.50
Vic5518961.00
      11-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The interior is fine. Although not as nice as an M5 - not even close. Around the Nurburgring it is about as quick as the M5CS.

But it has 'very' comfortable seats (although feels a little rubbery to me), the audio system is 'great' the interior is clean and spacious and sound isolation is also very good, but the yoke is a completely unnecessary gimmick. The guy I know who owns the Plaid used to drive a 750i X Drive and loves the Plaid - yoke and all.

Personally, I'd buy the M5CS over the Plaid, but I think most people would spend the money on the Tesla over the M5CS - which is a fact given relative sales. Sales does not equal better, but at the same price point it means something…
Absolute truth. Sales don’t equate to better but it definitely equates to more popular. Arguing with others about the new G80 sales there a lots of people here that disagreed that sales are the measurement of a products popularity but there’s nothing else to go by. So if you are saying more Plaid’s are being sold then M5’s it must be more popular. Honestly that’s depressing to me. I get how it’s the ultimate fastest car but I’m standing by my opinion about the looks. Thank you for the information about the inside and the sound system. That was helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #11
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

It's "good looking." The overall design is good, has a good stance, with the upgraded wheels the arches are filled nicely. Appearance-wise, any Tesla gets my attention as much as a Toyota Camry which isn't a lot. Grade C+.

It's all subjective when preferring a car. In this thread we are talking about a M5CS vs a Plaid? Shit, I'd take a 1999 BMW 850i over a Plaid.

Here in SoCal where they are very abundant, their intrigue was lost many years ago, Plaid or not. If the 2023 Model S looked the same and did a 3 second quarter mile, my opinion would be the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #12
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

The only reason I'm considering finalizing my plaid is I had placed my original order back in April and put my deposit down. Been back and forth whether to follow through or not, but seeing market prices now and the fact the build I have was $127k when I did it, and now new orders its nearly $150k I see it as a trial and error to see if it's for us(my wife) and if not an easy $20k profit.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      11-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #13
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
The only reason I'm considering finalizing my plaid is I had placed my original order back in April and put my deposit down. Been back and forth whether to follow through or not, but seeing market prices now and the fact the build I have was $127k when I did it, and now new orders its nearly $150k I see it as a trial and error to see if it's for us(my wife) and if not an easy $20k profit.
That makes sense man
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The redesign was very weak and looks exactly the same especially from the rear.

Interior is not on par of $100k car and the steering wheel is idiotic.

The tech is superb and if you HAVE to have an EV then it’s probably the best. Personally I would get the new Taycan Cross GTS.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #15
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Saw one at Costco. Very very subtle. Only way you can tell are the wheels or badge. Ultimate sleeper.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 12:05 AM   #16
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
The redesign was very weak and looks exactly the same especially from the rear.

Interior is not on par of $100k car and the steering wheel is idiotic.

The tech is superb and if you HAVE to have an EV then it’s probably the best. Personally I would get the new Taycan Cross GTS.
Looks are subjective, but the interior is quite nice. If you get a chance, try it out since the interior on the new Model S is nicely done. The steering wheel I agree is worse in real life than even in photos from my experience. Seeing my colleague drive it, is very odd indeed.

I found the interior though one of the most comfortable ever, and I have been in a lot of luxury cars, although it would be perfect with high-end leather option for a true luxury feel. The carbon fiber interior trim, the screens and alcantara all look very nice. Tesla does seats really well from an ergonomic perspective.

The Taycan Cross GTS is defintely nicer inside and out, although lacks the performance, space or range of the Plaid.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #17
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I generally like the overall look of all of the models. Im not as picky about looks as I used to be. There are definitely some ugly cars out there. The new Hyundai Sonata has to be the absolute ugliest car Ive ever seen. Much worse than even a Pontiac Aztek. But I like them all. My least favorite one is the X. But nothing is this ugly. Hyundai is literally Catfishing people with this thing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Patton2502936.50
M5Rick58873.50
      11-28-2021, 07:05 AM   #18
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I generally like the overall look of all of the models. Im not as picky about looks as I used to be. There are definitely some ugly cars out there. The new Hyundai Sonata has to be the absolute ugliest car Ive ever seen. Much worse than even a Pontiac Aztek. But I like them all. My least favorite one is the X. But nothing is this ugly. Hyundai is literally Catfishing people with this thing.
Holy cow it does look like a flat head catfish doesn’t it? Lol. When it came time to buy my son a car he wanted the Elantra. I tried to talk him into a Corolla but nope he wanted a Hyundai Elantra. It’s OK looking.

I have looked at this Plaid from every direction and I guess my biggest problem is that it’s a hatchback. That’s why I don’t like a lot of the Audis. I don’t want a sports car/muscle car to be a hatchback. And the back of the plaid looks weird. Probably because of the hatchback. The front is OK. I guess my question is why couldn’t they make it look Ferrari looking like the new Corvette? Might as well.

Also how is it on cornering? Is awesome like M cars? What size tires are on the plaid?
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13014.00
      11-28-2021, 07:12 AM   #19
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Holy cow it does look like a flat head catfish doesn’t it? Lol. When it came time to buy my son a car he wanted the Elantra. I tried to talk him into a Corolla but nope he wanted a Hyundai Elantra. It’s OK looking.

I have looked at this Plaid from every direction and I guess my biggest problem is that it’s a hatchback. That’s why I don’t like a lot of the Audis. I don’t want a sports car/muscle car to be a hatchback. And the back of the plaid looks weird. Probably because of the hatchback. The front is OK. I guess my question is why couldn’t they make it look Ferrari looking like the new Corvette? Might as well.

Also how is it on cornering? Is awesome like M cars? What size tires are on the plaid?
Since it wont be long before Vic55 comes around.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=26

Appreciate 2
Patton2502936.50
Vic5518961.00
      11-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #20
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Since it wont be long before Vic55 comes around.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=26
I love the color he chose. He obviously ceramic coated it also and that looks sick. The flared fenders look good. I still can’t get over the back though. I guess the car looks like a fancy Prius to me. That’s the problem I’m having. Im sure as we continue down this unfortunate road of governmental forced EV’s some manufacture is going to finally make one just as fast as the plaid but really good looking. I’m looking forward to that. I hope it’s BMW. But I’m sure one of the German manufacturers will create some thing equally as fast but much better looking.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13014.00
Vic5518961.00
      11-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #21
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

Quote:
Hyundai did a good job on the new Ioniq5 EV but yeah, the Sonata is a mess, especially compared to the fantastic looking Kia K5 which is its mechanical twin.
Limegrntaln13014.00
      11-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #22
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

As long as you like it from the back. That's all your gonna see anyway from your BMW 😁
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00