New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #7019
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I don't see the point of a radar detector. I mean I get it, people want to speed and not get caught, but I see so many people have them that never do 5 over (5 over will not get you stopped here. "Usually" safe up to 10). Then I hear the reasoning "it's just nice to know they are there". Why? If you aren't doing anything wrong why does it matter if a patrol car is near?

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #7020
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I don't see the point of a radar detector. I mean I get it, people want to speed and not get caught, but I see so many people have them that never do 5 over (5 over will not get you stopped here. "Usually" safe up to 10). Then I hear the reasoning "it's just nice to know they are there". Why? If you aren't doing anything wrong why does it matter if a patrol car is near?
I learned a $300ish lesson. Radar detectors only work when they're turned on. My Valentine V1 has paid for itself many times over in tickets I didn't get.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
CamasM3e933140.00
      10-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #7021
________
________
Rep

Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I learned a $300ish lesson. Radar detectors only work when they're turned on. My Valentine V1 has paid for itself many times over in tickets I didn't get.
Mine paid for itself the very day I bought it.

That said, because of laser, you can’t trust it all the time… it’s helpful, but not bulletproof.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #7022
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Mine paid for itself the very day I bought it.

That said, because of laser, you can’t trust it all the time… it’s helpful, but not bulletproof.
I actually got a laser warning that wasn't me! Apparently the V1 can detect any laser splash.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #7023
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Having driven through the States for a few thousand miles in the past month or two, I am very curious as to what the plastic bag affixed to the window of a car on the side of the road means?

It seems to be a common thing, the number of vehicles I have seen over on the side of the road with something (usually a plastic bag curiously - I suppose they have some kicking around the vehicle everyday although I do not?) protruding out the window has led me to believe this is some sort of signal.

I suppose it means I didn't abandon the car / I'm coming back for it? Just have never seen this in Canada so I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #7024
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Having driven through the States for a few thousand miles in the past month or two, I am very curious as to what the plastic bag affixed to the window of a car on the side of the road means?

It seems to be a common thing, the number of vehicles I have seen over on the side of the road with something (usually a plastic bag curiously - I suppose they have some kicking around the vehicle everyday although I do not?) protruding out the window has led me to believe this is some sort of signal.

I suppose it means I didn't abandon the car / I'm coming back for it? Just have never seen this in Canada so I'm curious.
I haven't seen that here in California, but I presume it means exactly that. Otherwise the vehicle gets tagged and will be towed at a later time.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #7025
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

I have to ask……why?!?!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/boston-un...rce=linkin.bio
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 02:44 PM   #7026
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The Globalists didn't kill enough the 1st time!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      10-18-2022, 02:51 PM   #7027
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
Because making stupid decisions is human nature.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      10-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #7028
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M340i

I have had a cop tell me "I'm writing you a ticket for 85. You were doing well over 100 but you slowed down so fast when I used the radar that I didn't get it locked in" Sounds like BS bc he's allowed to write a ticket without proof but I was and I did and he gave me a very generous ticket so who am I to doubt his reasoning?

I've had another cop write me a ticket for 8 over and say "I normally give warnings up to 10 mph over but you had a radar detector so no warning for you."

As I got older, I got tired of the incessant beeps and I was ignoring everything anyway so I just stopped using one. I spend 95% of the time driving at a speed I won't slow down from even if I see a cop (+10 in town and +15 on the hwy). Every now and then, when I feel sufficiently insulated by surrounding cars, I drive spiritedly but only in small doses.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 05:45 PM   #7029
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwspice View Post
I have had a cop tell me "I'm writing you a ticket for 85. You were doing well over 100 but you slowed down so fast when I used the radar that I didn't get it locked in" Sounds like BS bc he's allowed to write a ticket without proof but I was and I did and he gave me a very generous ticket so who am I to doubt his reasoning?

I've had another cop write me a ticket for 8 over and say "I normally give warnings up to 10 mph over but you had a radar detector so no warning for you."

As I got older, I got tired of the incessant beeps and I was ignoring everything anyway so I just stopped using one. I spend 95% of the time driving at a speed I won't slow down from even if I see a cop (+10 in town and +15 on the hwy). Every now and then, when I feel sufficiently insulated by surrounding cars, I drive spiritedly but only in small doses.
Geez! Which states did those incidents occur in?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #7030
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

If I get stopped by a cop for a traffic infringement
and I had him my document wallet with my pinks/insurance etc what $ should I insert to get out of the ticket

1> $10
2> $50
3> $100
4> Tim Hortons card (could a Timmies gift card surely be construed as a GIFT and not a bribe)

Also not sure how I should let him know I want him to keep the money without making it obvious
would a wink and saying "keep the change" ?

Also is the "I'd like to make a donation to the Police benevolent fund" an urban myth
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 08:24 PM   #7031
________
________
Rep

Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
If I get stopped by a cop for a traffic infringement
and I had him my document wallet with my pinks/insurance etc what $ bill should I insert to get out of the ticket

1> $10
2> $50
3> $100

Also not sure how I should let him know I want him to keep the money without making it obvious
would a wink and saying "keep the change" ?
Wrong thread.
OP works in California, not Bolivia.
Appreciate 3
nazali1298.00
vreihen1615140.50
      10-18-2022, 08:29 PM   #7032
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Excuse me for answering this, I'm on a ticket forum in Canada, and this question comes in a lot and is answered by Canadian LEO's.
I am told that what EVER speed your doing, it's locked in, you can't slow down quick enough. By the time that laser dot hit's you it's came over. Unless the machine wasnt been used correctly or not calibrated.

They won't even try to pull you if they have not got a locked on speed. By the time you see them or your radar detector finds it, it's too late, unless the radar (which actually is more like a cone bounces off things, it's too late, it'll ping you at a 100 the the blues and twos come on and your dog meat

At least in Canada and I'm guessing the laws of physics apply both sides of the border

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #7033
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

hahahaha LOL love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Wrong thread.
OP works in California, not Bolivia.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-18-2022, 08:42 PM   #7034
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

On the subject of radar detectors (many years ago in the UK) unlike Canada, which is illegal to use/buy/have in the car and in fact if you have one and use it, it get a fine and also something like trying to pervert the course or something.. anyway I digress

I wasn't a manic but drove a 944 so I got myself a rad det / nice would warn me of all the Fixed speed cameras on the OPPOSITE side of the road well in advance and on the lane of travel dpending on what was in front of me nothing (I'd get radar bounce) so on an empty road at 3am you'd get nothing till it was too late.

However on our hiways, you'd have 2 cameras on both sides so your detector would catch one and you'd slow down.

It would also catch the motion detectors of supermarkets like Spar (Circle K for you yanks) which was also a great feature.

In about 2 years it never ever detected a car/hand held/radar or saved me from a ticket (I mean I didnt get any) so never re-couped the £200 it cost me (back in 2000) so that's like a Billion $ now LOL

The ONLY saving grace on that was when I was coming home from parties and dances (I used to go to a 50's rock&roll dance club) I was dog tired usually and it would offer a proverbial splash of water to keep me awake when it mis-detected something.

But as a radar detector it blew
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 09:51 PM   #7035
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Excuse me for answering this, I'm on a ticket forum in Canada, and this question comes in a lot and is answered by Canadian LEO's.
I am told that what EVER speed your doing, it's locked in, you can't slow down quick enough. By the time that laser dot hit's you it's came over. Unless the machine wasnt been used correctly or not calibrated.

They won't even try to pull you if they have not got a locked on speed. By the time you see them or your radar detector finds it, it's too late, unless the radar (which actually is more like a cone bounces off things, it's too late, it'll ping you at a 100 the the blues and twos come on and your dog meat

At least in Canada and I'm guessing the laws of physics apply both sides of the border

Quote:

We use LIDAR. Radar doesn't "lock on". LIDAR is light switch instantaneous. You can't shave off any appreciable speed in the flick of a switch.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 10:55 PM   #7036
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the subject of radar detectors (many years ago in the UK) unlike Canada, which is illegal to use/buy/have in the car and in fact if you have one and use it, it get a fine and also something like trying to pervert the course or something.. anyway I digress

I wasn't a manic but drove a 944 so I got myself a rad det / nice would warn me of all the Fixed speed cameras on the OPPOSITE side of the road well in advance and on the lane of travel dpending on what was in front of me nothing (I'd get radar bounce) so on an empty road at 3am you'd get nothing till it was too late.

However on our hiways, you'd have 2 cameras on both sides so your detector would catch one and you'd slow down.

It would also catch the motion detectors of supermarkets like Spar (Circle K for you yanks) which was also a great feature.

In about 2 years it never ever detected a car/hand held/radar or saved me from a ticket (I mean I didnt get any) so never re-couped the £200 it cost me (back in 2000) so that's like a Billion $ now LOL

The ONLY saving grace on that was when I was coming home from parties and dances (I used to go to a 50's rock&roll dance club) I was dog tired usually and it would offer a proverbial splash of water to keep me awake when it mis-detected something.

But as a radar detector it blew
All detectors are NOT created equal.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 11:00 AM   #7037
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I agree that his story sounds like BS. All I know is I was over 100 and wide open throttle, radar detector (not laser) went off and I slammed on the brakes. He pulled me over and gave me a weird story about why he was writing me a ticket for 85 even though he knew I was doing more.

One thing that is true about radar is that it's a challenge to get the speed of the desired car when the road is crowded. There could have been other cars with a bigger radar footprint between me between me and the gun. It's possible that he saw me going fast. Saw me slow down hard. But all his radar told him was how fast one of the guys around me was going.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #7038
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We use LIDAR. Radar doesn't "lock on". LIDAR is light switch instantaneous. You can't shave off any appreciable speed in the flick of a switch.
The event I was talking about took place in TX in the early 90s.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 11:19 AM   #7039
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
The event I was talking about took place in TX in the early 90s.
Sounds like the opening line to a Penthouse forum letter.
Appreciate 4
Esteban43330.00
BMWGUYinCO4120.00
paquet629.50
      10-19-2022, 10:02 PM   #7040
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Active Shooter training next month at a local high school. This will be fun!
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00