New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

04-26-2024, 02:12 PM   #1
thiefcrazy98
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW X3

How do you find an audience?

Hi everyone, I do photography, in particular I shoot the cars of my friends and acquaintances. I try very hard to make the picture turned out high quality and beautiful, I long select angles and light, long sit in editors to make everything as beautiful as possible, but the result of this is no. Literally a couple of people put likes and all, I would like to hear some recommendations, thank you in advance. Here I will attach a couple of my works, I would like to hear your opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 03:18 PM   #2
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Unfortunately, those pics are rather plain. There is nothing special about them, really. Not trying to be rude or anything like that, just honest.

I’m far from a car photographer, but, angles, lighting, location, reflections, perspective all play a role in the image of a car.

For example, in the first image, you have the yellow bar sticking out of the roof of the car, with all sorts of odd reflections/blown highlights competing for attention with what looks like a really well maintained car.

In the second pic, it just looks like a capture in a car dealership or workshop. There is nothing screaming ‘wow’ in that image, even though it too looks like a really well maintained car.

Compare that to something like the image linked below from a photog. that shoots cars.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...-bmw-522534748

It has depth of field, dramatic lighting, color, etc. Took some time to plan and shoot, to get that image for sure.

My point, beyond all that, is just keep shooting till you hone in on a ‘style’ that fits what you imagine the image to be. Play around with depth of field, lighting, filters on lenses, flash photography/light painting, dark alleys with cool lighting effects, etc. etc. One you’ve got that ‘style’ down, that’s when people with cool cars will start contacting you, versus you chasing them down.

Hope that helps in your endeavor!

This is my body of work, just for reference. It took me years to perfect my skills, and even now, they aren’t anywhere near perfect. Always learning, I am. https://www.flickr.com/photos/inthedeck/albums/
Appreciate 2
LuvMyE923003.00
      04-26-2024, 04:13 PM   #3
Fredcohiba
Private
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
Unfortunately, those pics are rather plain. There is nothing special about them, really. Not trying to be rude or anything like that, just honest.

I’m far from a car photographer, but, angles, lighting, location, reflections, perspective all play a role in the image of a car.

For example, in the first image, you have the yellow bar sticking out of the roof of the car, with all sorts of odd reflections/blown highlights competing for attention with what looks like a really well maintained car.

In the second pic, it just looks like a capture in a car dealership or workshop. There is nothing screaming ‘wow’ in that image, even though it too looks like a really well maintained car.

Compare that to something like the image linked below from a photog. that shoots cars.

It has depth of field, dramatic lighting, color, etc. Took some time to plan and shoot, to get that image for sure.

My point, beyond all that, is just keep shooting till you hone in on a ‘style’ that fits what you imagine the image to be. Play around with depth of field, lighting, filters on lenses, flash photography/light painting, dark alleys with cool lighting effects, etc. etc. One you’ve got that ‘style’ down, that’s when people with cool cars will start contacting you, versus you chasing them down.

This is my body of work, just for reference. It took me years to perfect my skills, and even now, they aren’t anywhere near perfect. Always learning, I am. https://www.flickr.com/photos/inthedeck/albums/
Very nice critique and solid info for the OP to build upon.
I am a former part time professional wedding photographer and avid car show picture snapper.
It takes a lot of thought (experience) to get just the right angle and perspective of a vehicle. Plus the added dimensions of light, focal length, depth of field and (as stated above) the ability to focus on what you want to convey and minimize external distractions within the image.
Keep shooting and asking for critiques. Digital film is cheap. I learned the expensive way, on Kodak 35mm film. One had to buy it and then pay for developing. Imagine that! Yep, I’m that old.
Appreciate 1
mcsquared770.50
      04-27-2024, 02:18 PM   #4
tbes50203
Registered
United_States
Rep

Drives: i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiefcrazy98 View Post
Hi everyone, I do photography, in particular I shoot the cars of my friends and acquaintances. I try very hard to make the picture turned out high quality and beautiful, I long select angles and light, long sit in editors to make everything as beautiful as possible, but the result of this is no. Literally a couple of people put likes and all, I would like to hear some recommendations, thank you in advance. Here I will attach a couple of my works, I would like to hear your opinion.
Try to send these photos to some editor to play with this material, I think even from these photos can be molded something worthwhile
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2024, 03:10 PM   #5
thiefcrazy98
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post

Thank you so much for your reply and constructive criticism, I will definitely take what you said into consideration and try to find my style
Appreciate 1
mcsquared770.50
      04-27-2024, 03:12 PM   #6
thiefcrazy98
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjohn View Post
I like these photos, but I like them more because of the cars themselves, as mentioned above, there is nothing "wow" about the photos. Your photos are definitely of high quality, but you need to find a highlight that would set you apart from the rest, the main thing is to keep your hands up and keep shooting
Your true, the cars on these are truly mesmerizing, thank you so much for your reply and support, it's my pleasure
Appreciate 0