New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #45
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Deciding that a law doesn't apply to you
We all do that. Admit it - ever sped? Ran a bit late on the amber red light than you hoped?

Not that I completely agree with the OP. but we all push the boundaries of the laws we're supposed to obey - but we all choose that line for ourselves where we won't cross it. We can't however look at someone else's line and say it's wrong, because there's probably a goody-two-shoes who thinks your line is wrong.

Some people must feel that murder is ok or justified, because they cross that line, take the risk, and pay the penalty if caught. Not a line I would ever cross, but clearly not a problem for some.
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #46
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
hey, I have some fond memories of a 6 cyl dodge dart from high school
Didn't mean to diss the Dart - I definitely have some fond memories myself - but subconsciously I'm sure that my perspective is twisted with jealous rage. They wouldn't let me spend my college fund on that mint 930 Turbo either, so I was clearly warped and abused.

And for NEfan, I don't think you are fully getting what I was saying. It's not 'if you get caught' - that would just be a big ticket, criminal record, etc - no biggie for a hardened scofflaw such as yourself. I'm talking about if there is an accident, even one caused entirely by another driver, you are at fault, and without any insurance. I don't know what kind of money you have, but an MVA with emergency response can easily run you $20K, before they transport anybody (and before you pay for the damaged property), easily over $100k per person if it involves life flight, or ICU (surprisingly common in Mass). Then there are the lawsuits from all the nice people you hurt.... lots to risk for a rather lame bucket list item.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #47
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
hey, I have some fond memories of a 6 cyl dodge dart from high school
Didn't mean to diss the Dart - I definitely have some fond memories myself - but subconsciously I'm sure that my perspective is twisted with jealous rage. They wouldn't let me spend my college fund on that mint 930 Turbo either, so I was clearly warped and abused.

And for NEfan, I don't think you are fully getting what I was saying. It's not 'if you get caught' - that would just be a big ticket, criminal record, etc - no biggie for a hardened scofflaw such as yourself. I'm talking about if there is an accident, even one caused entirely by another driver, you are at fault, and without any insurance. I don't know what kind of money you have, but an MVA with emergency response can easily run you $20K, before they transport anybody (and before you pay for the damaged property), easily over $100k per person if it involves life flight, or ICU (surprisingly common in Mass). Then there are the lawsuits from all the nice people you hurt.... lots to risk for a rather lame bucket list item.
I hear you LOUD n clear, he's with me when he's driving or with his mother it's mostly going to be around home base, it's just to get time behind the wheel

I'm a regular guy that pays his taxes, does the right thing, I certainly help push the wagon, I do take advantage of some loopholes (sometimes) but definitely not a "scofflaw" my grandfather uses that word, he's 80

look @ 10 people closely, 9 of them will be doing something illegal Playing poker for money at home, Speeding, driving with out a seatbelt, using cell phone while driving, Underage drinking yes @ 18 can buy a gun but can't drink a beer? and smoking marijuana and god forbid all those who claim their home business in the kitchen is 500 sq for not 200 sq ft. Let's roundup these deadbeats, I bet some have parking tickets from the early 2000's ?!?! shoot to kill

My boy will not drive every day
I'll pay if need be, fines, car replacement and or medical I'm ok with that, lots of liability concerns for sure but that's life it's fine

If something happens I'll deal with it
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #48
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Damn, getting chastised in here. I don't think it is that bad if you have insurance to cover anything that may happen (for others) like an umbrella policy or something since your car insurance likely wouldn't pay a dime.

I also believe that you should let your kids drink in your house before it is legal and make sure they are safe and controlled rather than be strict about it and have them out driving around and being less smart and controlled about it.

Sure something bad could happen and it could financially wreck you, but life is boring if you never take any risks.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #49
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Damn, getting chastised in here. I don't think it is that bad if you have insurance to cover anything that may happen (for others) like an umbrella policy or something since your car insurance likely wouldn't pay a dime.

I also believe that you should let your kids drink in your house before it is legal and make sure they are safe and controlled rather than be strict about it and have them out driving around and being less smart and controlled about it.

Sure something bad could happen and it could financially wreck you, but life is boring if you never take any risks.
Lots on here are barking...

Fact: KC allows 14 year olds driving, what's the difference if my son learns how to drive in Maine and Massachusetts? To some people that's neglecting my child putting people at risk

It's all about state lines, the only law being broken

Yes the north east is more metro and 90% of KC is farm but so is Maine, it's full of Subaru outback's a few cows and Steven King (Kansas north version)

About drinking: my 2 cents is let em taste @ home, all my family let their kids drink on occasions (little) so @ 21 less likely binge at college, So far so good

It's a cultural thing? in Spain Italy and France is more common for a 16,17,18 year old to drink a glass of wine or a cold beer during a family cookout (it's not forbidden) but saying that some on this forum will call DEA on me for mentioning
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #50
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
but saying that some on this forum will call DEA on me for mentioning
i've already called child protective and PETA

Appreciate 2
NEfan5082658.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #51
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

You set yourself up the second you posted this thread.
(THICK SKIN NEEDED INDEED)

The funniest thing I got out of this was "My son made me get the M2".

Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      07-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #52
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

Not at all what I was expecting, never was on forums before it's brutal for sure if your way isn't popular
I'd also like to add that you are in the Off Topic section of the only BMW forum that matters. No disrespect here, but welcome to the Thunderdome of internet brutality. Thick skin and the ability to sling mud back without getting emotionally charged is a prerequisite here.

Go stumble into the politics section and nose around in there a little bit if you think this is bad.

Last edited by King Rudi; 07-09-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Joekerr7926.00
Rmtt8206.00
      07-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #53
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyf View Post
You set yourself up the second you posted this thread.
(THICK SKIN NEEDED INDEED)

The funniest thing I got out of this was "My son made me get the M2".

It's true,
was looking @ Boxster, Audi TT and just a little @ the Miata, I liked them all
I'm aware apples and oranges but those are what I liked

He told me he will set the Miata on fire if I get it

Miata way to Cambridge
Corvette midlife crises
TTs stuck-up vibe
Boxster stuck-up too

I like bmw, so I told him pick a model, we will make it a Euro Delivery too, make a mini trip out of it, I have plenty of united air miles and marriott points just collecting dust, let's use em

M2C alpine white 6MT black wheels (his choices)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #54
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
He told me he will set the Miata on fire if I get it
Guys, we may need to rethink our criticism of the kid/driving at 14.
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #55
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
LOL, you do you, I guess?

Perhaps you can have one of your daughters go ahead and be a hooker. Then, when she gets arrested for prostitution, you can tell the judge what you posted above. I mean, it's legal in other states, right?

Good grief.

What a dic*head comment to make.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      07-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #56
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
What a dic*head comment to make.
I gave your post a like, because you're the largest pot chatting to a kettle, and it's rather funny.

Stuff it.
      07-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #57
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

this thread
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      07-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #58
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
this thread
My josh, He's ok to drive, put some phone books on the seat and he's legit

Relax all, It's a 2015 pic

Update: spring 2019 pic,

it's a closed shopping plaza parking lot connected to a couple massive apartment complexes (no risk to motorist)

I guess Miller clan likes alpine white
Attached Images

Last edited by NEfan508; 07-11-2019 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #59
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hold up. This thread has taken a turn for the worse now. Forget all legal and/or parenting concerns expressed prior. Stop what you are doing right now, contact your son and let him know that posing for a picture with a car is not acceptable. This is something that girls do when it's not their car. They either get paid to do it while being dressed scantily clad or they are trying to become instagram famous. I'm a firm believer that bullying is not ok. I'm also a firm believer that baiting bullies is not ok either.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #60
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Hold up. This thread has taken a turn for the worse now. Forget all legal and/or parenting concerns expressed prior. Stop what you are doing right now, contact your son and let him know that posing for a picture with a car is not acceptable. This is something that girls do when it's not their car. They either get paid to do it while being dressed scantily clad or they are trying to become instagram famous. I'm a firm believer that bullying is not ok. I'm also a firm believer that baiting bullies is not ok either.
He's not modeling lol

Just some pics of him @ 9 and 13 same background almost 4 years difference
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #61
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
He's not modeling lol

Dude....pics like this will get you beat up where I come from. He is leaned against a car with coffee in his hand with a smug grin slapped on his face. In pic number three, he is standing sideways in a suit with a similar look on his face. He is most definitely "modeling" here.

Prevent unnecessary and embarrassing life lessons for him now. You're the dad, just sit him down and tell him never to lean against a car and pose for a picture.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
Run Silent15127.00
      07-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #62
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
He's not modeling lol

Dude....pics like this will get you beat up where I come from. He is leaned against a car with coffee in his hand with a smug grin slapped on his face. In pic number three, he is standing sideways in a suit with a similar look on his face. He is most definitely "modeling" here.

Prevent unnecessary and embarrassing life lessons for him now. You're the dad, just sit him down and tell him never to lean against a car and pose for a picture.
Rodger that, just was proud of him that day he was driving manual for the first time
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #63
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

this thread is inspiring me to let my 13 year old behind the wheel of my stinger
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      07-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #64
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Rodger that, just was proud of him that day he was driving manual for the first time
No harm in being a proud dad. I've got pics of my boys driving my cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #65
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
this thread is inspiring me to let my 13 year old behind the wheel of my stinger
My daughter got her learners permit as allowed here at 15. She only drove with us in the car. When she started talking about being able to drive by herself...I asked whose car you plan on driving?

I did tell her that whatever she saved up for buying a car (She has always had a job since she was old enough), I would match it so at 16yo...she bought a Lime Green Bug.

She beat the shit out of that car. About 3 years later she was ready to finance one and start building her credit....I said I only want you to remember one thing.

Driving around a dented car that you are making payments on really sucks. She took a lot better care of that one!
NEfan5082658.50
      07-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #66
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I'd also like to add that you are in the Off Topic section of the only BMW forum that matters. No disrespect here, but welcome to the Thunderdome of internet brutality. Thick skin and the ability to sling mud back without getting emotionally charged is a prerequisite here.

Go stumble into the politics section and nose around in there a little bit if you think this is bad.
^ What he said. Be afraid, very afraid. The posters in this thread have shown their best behavior. And that's all I have to say. Not even going to chime in on thread topic.

Carry on.
Run Silent15127.00
Rmtt8206.00