New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

08-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbeagle View Post
OP - this is excellent and well thought out advice. This is definitely something that I wish I had known back in the day

Good luck!
+1 on this advice. However, do not discount Tag just because they are popular with the masses. I own many watches and I would rate my Formula 1 high on the list as far as quality and function especially at this price point.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

This is a website that might be helpful without insulting you or your budget.
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-re...urchase-guide/

Here's a popular watch forum, but just as with this one, you'll get a good deal of snobbery and disingenuous suggestions. If you can cull the fan-boys and folks who just want to tell you to buy something expensive from those that actually want to help you, you can find some good input. http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-13-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Between WatchUSeek and www.timezone.com, you should get plenty of good advice.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
my good friend started his own company and creates some fantastic watches. go check them out!!!

http://www.autodromo.com/
I recall seeing these watches recently in a magazine (Road & Track I think). The Monoposto is a great looking watch.
      08-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
cprx7
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 50i;

You might wanna look into BALL watches, they have diff price ranges and are very nice
      08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Omega, Tudor.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
+1 on this advice. However, do not discount Tag just because they are popular with the masses. I own many watches and I would rate my Formula 1 high on the list as far as quality and function especially at this price point.
TY. I have recently learned that Tag does make some watches of note, but none could generally be described as affordable. And of those notable watches Tag makes, not one is one I'd suggest someone buy as a "first watch" or "only watch," for at the price point in question ($3K - $6K) there are any number of wiser choices, not the least of which is any of several Rolexes if one must get have a big-name brand or a JLC (even a used one) if one merely wants serious watch credentials.

I like the Formula 1's looks. I have one, but I wish I'd bought a Daytona instead. At the time, I wasn't really seeking to have a watch collection of some merit. I was just buying watches that looked appealing to me. But then if one just wants to buy a watch that looks good to them, whose advice does one really need? After all, it's all but impossible to buy a watch these days that doesn't keep good time.

Tag isn't alone in being what I would call a "fun" watch. Many of the most heavily advertised brands fall into this category: Seiko, Citizen, Timex, Movado, Raymond Weil, Gucci, and scads others. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against them as "fun" watches but trying to say one is better horologically speaking than the other is about like trying to say a basic Ralph Lauren pinpoint oxford is better than on by Brooks Brothers or Joseph Banks or Nordstrom's. If there's something about one of them, about the process you go about obtaining it, that you like, fine, but that one. But don't buy it thinking one has bought a shirt that is noteworthy for some or other reason.

I'm not especially negative on Tag, per se. I just feel that the majority of what they offer falls into that category of "somewhat expensive, but of no particular note." There's certainly nothing wrong with them. They work. They are durable. They do come in a wide variety of styles. I think any of them is fine if one just wants to spend the money and buy it because one likes the look of it.

As I suggested above, I have nothing to offer if the watch's looks are the sole factor that matters to someone asking. So, I wrote from the standpoint of trying to suggest watches that are somewhat distinctive -- besides just appearance and/or brand name, or maybe not even that at all -- and in a range of prices that I think most folks would consider affordable, and a few that step into the realm of not really inexpensive/affordable, but, as watches of some note go, not expensive either. In short, good starting choices if one wants to build a collection of some merit.

Lastly, M3Carbon, I realize you weren't in any way assailing me or my post above. I just felt obliged to respond because I have observed on B-post that Tags are insanely popular. I wanted to be be clear that though I specifically suggested not seeking a Tag vintage watch, and I didn't mention Tag as a choice to consider, there are circumstances in which I think a Tag is a reasonable choice. Indeed, out of all the watches I call "fun watches," Tag is the brand I'd look to first. However, were I of modest means, and knowing that the <$2K watches Tag offers are horologically no better or worse than any other "fun watch," I'd also check around for a Citizen or Seiko or other brand that costs less and looks about the same. Nobody needs me or anyone else to tell them not to buy, or not buy, a $1000-$2000 watch that looks like no other and it's just the watch they like and want.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #30
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprx7 View Post
You might wanna look into BALL watches, they have diff price ranges and are very nice
Plus they are one watch you can truly read in the dark, and they are rugged and fine for work too. (There are some serious military watches that also have this quality, but they may not have the city-oriented styling that you need.) A big plus if you spend much time in bars and clubs or backpacking and camping.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #31
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep

Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Plus they are one watch you can truly read in the dark, and they are rugged and fine for work too. (There are some serious military watches that also have this quality, but they may not have the city-oriented styling that you need.) A big plus if you spend much time in bars and clubs or backpacking and camping.
It sounded like the OP want's a dress watch. For the money, Christopher Ward is still probably the best option IMO. Per the OP's specs:

http://www.christopherward-usa.com/m...-auto-skt.html
  • Swiss made
    25 Jewel automatic elaborated movement
    38 hr power reserve
    Hand polished surgical grade stainless steel case
    See through case back
    5 atm water resistant case
    Anti-reflective sapphire crystal
    Adjustable strap with easy opening butterfly clasp
    Unique engraved individual serial number
    Beautiful presentation case and owner's handbook
  • Technical
    Diameter: 43mm
    Height: 10mm
    Weight: 93g
    Calibre: ETA 2824.2 (Elabore)
    Vibrations: 28,800 per hour

That's a lot of watch for the price brand new. You could probably find a used one for a lot cheaper still then have someone clean up the case. You could go vintage, but service costs will be high.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #32
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Omega, Tudor.
Tudor:
Can one buy them in the US? I know they have long been essentially Rolexes with ETA movements, and I don't know if that's changed, not that it needs to.
Are they really affordable? I thought they were all at least $2K which is likely very affordable to a great number of folks, but probably not to the typical recent college graduate...

OP: here's another great website I found that is a wealth of approachable information combined with a very well grounded sense of the financial imperatives most folks must accept. http://wornandwound.com/

Note:
Rolex own Tudor.
OP, broadly speaking there are two kinds of watch: those with movements made by the watch maker and those with movements purchased from someone else. ETA make most of the movements found in Omegas, Tags, Breitling, IWC and other big name watches. ETA make several qualities of movement and the price differences among them is huge. Whether a watch's movement is made in-house or not is a huge factor, but not the only one, in whether a watch is "of note" or not. There is nothing wrong with a watch having an ETA movement inside one's watch. If one has one of the higher end ETA movements, all the better.

I suspect it could safely be said that any company that makes movements for its own watches also sells those movements to other companies. The relationships are dizzying to keep track of and if you are just starting out as a collector on a modest budget, not worth worrying too much about. Later on, it may become important to you, for example, to know that Piaget -- an outstanding watch maker -- supplied the movement inside the Cartier watch you are considering. (That's essentially the case for every Cartier except the Calibre de Cartier.)

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

CW makes great watches, especially at the lower price points. Well worth the money. I suggested a Malvern to on of my interns. He's quite pleased with it because it's not a brand "everyone has." It was at a slightly lower price point than the one you suggest below, either is a fine choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
It sounded like the OP want's a dress watch. For the money, Christopher Ward is still probably the best option IMO. Per the OP's specs:

http://www.christopherward-usa.com/m...-auto-skt.html
  • Swiss made
    25 Jewel automatic elaborated movement
    38 hr power reserve
    Hand polished surgical grade stainless steel case
    See through case back
    5 atm water resistant case
    Anti-reflective sapphire crystal
    Adjustable strap with easy opening butterfly clasp
    Unique engraved individual serial number
    Beautiful presentation case and owner's handbook
  • Technical
    Diameter: 43mm
    Height: 10mm
    Weight: 93g
    Calibre: ETA 2824.2 (Elabore)
    Vibrations: 28,800 per hour

That's a lot of watch for the price brand new. You could probably find a used one for a lot cheaper still then have someone clean up the case. You could go vintage, but service costs will be high.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinckled View Post
Awesome, thanks for the help everyone - I'll post pics once I make my decision.

(Looking for a classic, brown leather strap, dark face watch)
I just saw you want a dark face watch. That's fine, but be aware that most dark faced watches are impossible to read in bars and clubs, or any other dark place, like walking down a city street at night. Otherwise, not a problem.

Get one if that's what you want; I'm not suggesting you shouldn't. Just sharing based on my experience with them.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Yes you can now get Tudor in USA.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

I love my black anodized titanium Citizen eco drive chrono. I've received many compliments.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #37
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Tony - Thanks for responding to my post. I fully appreciate your detailed notes and subjective opinions. In this regard, I can see that you have many which may or may not be influenced by certain individual experiences. I am not identifying myself as a watch expert and I would presume you are not either. Rather, I am sure we are both watch enthusiasts with many years of experience with multiple brands. Opinions are like ......well, I'm sure you know the quote.

For clarity only, there is one thing I'd like to address and then I'm done with this thread:

Quote:
Tag isn't alone in being what I would call a "fun" watch. Many of the most heavily advertised brands fall into this category: Seiko, Citizen, Timex, Movado, Raymond Weil, Gucci, and scads others.
Of the 6 brands you mentioned, only and by a stretch, can Raymond Weil present a reasonable comparison against a Tag. Better suited candidates IMO would have been Oris, Longines, or Ball. The others that you mention, or similar "fashion watches" that fall under say the Fossil or Swatch umbrella, are laughable by comparison. I stand firm on this opinion because I have unfortunately owned several of these lesser brands through the years. Tag is simply a superior product.

That said, I am sure the OP appreciates the time (no pun intended) you have spent responding to his question. Along with other's input I am certain he will now make an informed purchase.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #38
Wrinckled
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 1990 325i

Ironic I get more great in depth advice for watch buying on a car forum. Thank you everyone who responded! I've read all the comments and soon it will be time to go shopping.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #39
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau View Post
Tissot. Victorinox. Hamilton.
Agreed... Along with oris and longines. Christopher ward and steinhart are around the $500 range. And if your looking on the cheap, you can't go wrong with orient watches.
My advice would be to get something with automatic movement and skip on the quartz.

Last edited by EyeGuy; 08-14-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

OP, your thread and question intrigued me, so I did some more research to sate my own curiosity. Until you'd asked about it, I really hadn't thought there might be manufacture watches that are indeed generally affordable. I knew of the Seiko I mentioned, but that was it.

I found the site below which was enlightening, not enough to make me regret some of my more recent buys, but enough to make me think again about what I'd like to buy next. Most surprising is the first comment toward the bottom of this webpage.

http://www.watchprojects.com/essays/...cture-watches/

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #41
Wrinckled
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 1990 325i

Perfect, you are the man!

Quote:
OP, your thread and question intrigued me, so I did some more research to sate my own curiosity. Until you'd asked about it, I really hadn't thought there might be manufacture watches that are indeed generally affordable. I knew of the Seiko I mentioned, but that was it.

I found the site below which was enlightening, not enough to make me regret some of my more recent buys, but enough to make me think again about what I'd like to buy next. Most surprising is the first comment toward the bottom of this webpage.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #42
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Between WatchUSeek and www.timezone.com, you should get plenty of good advice.
You should check out www.watchrecon.com
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #43
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

This is another site worth checking. Their prices aren't bad but most of what they have is decidedly high end. Don' overlook the stuff they have on special, however. There are some fine deals to be had.

http://www.luxurybazaar.com/class/cl...1_Watches.html

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #44
zybar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:

All the best.
Great post!

George
18" Apex ARC-8 wheels + Michelin Pilot Super Sports
18" Apex ARC-7 wheels + Michelin Alpin PA4
Appreciate 0