New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #67
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Considering it was a training run, no doubt about it, it was the pilot error that caused the crashed. It seems like someone wants to hide the embarassing facts.
You're really jumping to conclusions without any facts to back up your statements. There's a possibility it was pilot error, but there's also a good possibility there was engine failure (which is what the newspapers are saying is the initial assessment) Good thing there are black boxes and a live pilot to tell us the real story.

In the Air Force, the vast majority of fighter sorties that occur over the US are training runs, we're obviously not fighting any real enemy aircraft over the US, thus....training sortie. The Navy/Marines are the same.
      12-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #68
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

F-18's are extremely reliable aircrafts. The Canadian Air Force uses these planes and there wasn't a single crash during a real mission or the Canadian Air Force due to mechanical problems. There were a few crashes during training runs in Alberta and yes, they were caused by pilot error.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #69
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I've never flown a F-18 but I am a big fan of aviation of fighter jets. So, I did spend time flying one of these using a flight simulator. The F-18 is a solid, predictable, easy to fly aircraft when compared to others such as a F-16 or F-14. I'll say the F-18 is very comparable to the F-15.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #70
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
F-18's are extremely reliable aircrafts. The Canadian Air Force uses these planes and there wasn't a single crash during a real mission or the Canadian Air Force due to mechanical problems. There were a few crashes during training runs in Alberta and yes, they were caused by pilot error.
One huge difference between the CF-18s and the F-18s is the US F-18s have 2 to 3 times the hours on them than their Canadian counterparts. Plus the CF-18s don't do Carrier landings which are abusive to the airframes and components.
      12-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #71
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I've never flown a F-18 but I am a big fan of aviation of fighter jets. So, I did spend time flying one of these using a flight simulator. The F-18 is a solid, predictable, easy to fly aircraft when compared to others such as a F-16 or F-14. I'll say the F-18 is very comparable to the F-15.
How did you get access to a F-18 flight simulator? Or are you talking on a home gaming system or PC?

I have actually flown both an F-16 and a F-15 in real life...no simulator. They are both easy to fly, and they have to be because the pilots have a lot of other tasks to accomplish on an air to air or air to ground mission.

Last edited by skierman64; 12-09-2008 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #72
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW e90 | 09 Accord V6 EXL

Quote:
Considering it was a training run, no doubt about it, it was the pilot error that caused the crashed. It seems like someone wants to hide the embarassing facts.
wait......what the hell are canadians doing with real airplanes? holy fuck! must hide my family now. are you kidding me? idiotic comments from someone w/o all of the facts...

the plane was doing offshore training on/off a carrier. an engine went out it headed back to miramar to land it. there was no reason to come back over land other than a broken engine. apparently you're not allowed to land on a carrier w/o both engines operational. this all according to my buddy that works on miramar.
      12-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #73
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyeggo325i View Post
wait......what the hell are Canadians doing with real airplanes?
Yeah, not only that but they have C-130s and C-17s as well.

Quote:
apparently you're not allowed to land on a carrier w/o both engines operational.
Makes sense since carrier pilots go full power at touchdown in case they miss the arresting wires. One engine out could make for a hairy missed wire landing and go-around.
      12-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #74
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
wait......what the hell are canadians doing with real airplanes? holy fuck! must hide my family now. are you kidding me? idiotic comments from someone w/o all of the facts...

the plane was doing offshore training on/off a carrier. an engine went out it headed back to miramar to land it. there was no reason to come back over land other than a broken engine. apparently you're not allowed to land on a carrier w/o both engines operational. this all according to my buddy that works on miramar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Makes sense since carrier pilots go full power at touchdown in case they miss the arresting wires. One engine out could make for a hairy missed wire landing and go-around.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #75
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limited_slip View Post
The Pilot should be convicted and tried as a war criminal!

x2 children
x2 Adult Women

This is freakin sad!!!!

Iraq...afghanistan and now we are bringing the war criminals to our own backyard.

Why do navy even need jets. Is this the reason for having the air force.
navy should stick to boats and air force should stick to the air.

What a waste of money. All of money save can go into saving our economy.

I am so glad Obama is president now. Hopefully he will downsize the military as promised.
I bet you don't have the sack to say that to a veterans face.

I was going to go into why you are a waste of life, but my time can be better spent elsewhere.
      12-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #76
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

The squadron I was in, there were pilots from all over the world. We trained pilots from Canada, Australia, and even Switzerland..

In a training situation, some jets do fly back to base. But, single engine landings happen all the time. They have to.. What is a pilot supposed to do if we are in the middle of the Pacific? All Pilots carry a little hand book with them that tells them what to do in these types of emergency situations..
      12-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #77
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b335i View Post
Yes, it is. I was just stating a fact for the uninformed!
I was reiterating your post.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #78
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post
The squadron I was in, there were pilots from all over the world. We trained pilots from Canada, Australia, and even Switzerland..

In a training situation, some jets do fly back to base. But, single engine landings happen all the time. They have to.. What is a pilot supposed to do if we are in the middle of the Pacific? All Pilots carry a little hand book with them that tells them what to do in these types of emergency situations..

dunno? i was just stating what my buddy at the base said. he's an F18 mechanic on the nimitz and according to him they don't do it. i didn't question or ask...just assumed he knew more than me about it...
      12-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #79
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: F82

Sad accident. With 1 engine out, isn't the protocol to get to an altitude to glide in in case of a 2nd engine failure??
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #80
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

x2 children
x2 Adult Women

This is freakin sad!!!!

Iraq...afghanistan and now we are bringing the war criminals to our own backyard.

I am so glad Obama is president now. Hopefully he will downsize the military as promised.
I'm impressed you have internet service in a cave. Please go back and bury your head in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Sad accident. With 1 engine out, isn't the protocol to get to an altitude to glide in in case of a 2nd engine failure??
No, fighter jets don't glide very well (big aircraft, small wings). The angle of approach required to glide would make for a very steep and dangerous approach.

Quote:
dunno? i was just stating what my buddy at the base said. he's an F18 mechanic on the nimitz and according to him they don't do it. i didn't question or ask...just assumed he knew more than me about it...
The rules would be different for an operational sortie vs a training sortie. Since this was a training sortie he returned to the big piece of concrete for the landing vs the moving ship.
      12-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #81
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, fighter jets don't glide very well (big aircraft, small wings). The angle of approach required to glide would make for a very steep and dangerous approach.
+1

Quote:
The rules would be different for an operational sortie vs a training sortie. Since this was a training sortie he returned to the big piece of concrete for the landing vs the moving ship.
that made sense to me too...apparently not that other dude.

lol at the "big piece of concrete"
      12-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #82
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

Quote:
Thats harsh dude. Let the investigation get the facts before we write this accident off to pilot error. Give him the benefit of the doubt. I am sure he is regretting killing those innocent victims on the ground as it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #83
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

Quote:

x2 children
x2 Adult Women

This is freakin sad!!!!

Have you taken your meds today?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #84
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

x2 children
x2 Adult Women

This is freakin sad!!!!

You don't know much about Navy/Air Force, military in general do you?

Quote:
I hope the father/husband sue the military and US Government for millions and millions of dollars.

Maybe this is a stupid question but what is a fighter jet doing flying over populated area.

That pilot is a coward and is selfish. He should of try to veer his airplane away from the populated area. His coward self choose to eject.

Well...I am glad he is alive and because of his stupidity and selfishness he killed 4 people.

shame on the US Navy
You're completely clueless.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #85
sandyeggo325i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope the father/husband sue the military and US Government for millions and millions of dollars.

Maybe this is a stupid question but what is a fighter jet doing flying over populated area.

That pilot is a coward and is selfish. He should of try to veer his airplane away from the populated area. His coward self choose to eject.

Well...I am glad he is alive and because of his stupidity and selfishness he killed 4 people.

shame on the US Navy

wow really? i can't believe how many completely ignorant people troll this board.....amazing.

hate to break this to you, but the military base that the jet was flying back to is some 60+ years old. the population built around it...and fight jets fly over populated areas all the time.

i guarantee you wouldn't have the balls to fly an F18 let alone go down with one...

idiots show some respect.
      12-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #86
b335i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 e92 335i, 2012 f10 535i

Quote:
wow really? i can't believe how many completely ignorant people troll this board.....amazing.

hate to break this to you, but the military base that the jet was flying back to is some 60+ years old. the population built around it...and fight jets fly over populated areas all the time.

i guarantee you wouldn't have the balls to fly an F18 let alone go down with one...

idiots show some respect.
+1

These people are effin clueless! Take a history class, learn about shit before you open your uneducated mouth.

Better yet, go enlist and head to Iraq see if that doesn't change your perspective on the people who defend our country.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #87
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
How come the military haven't apologize and take responsibility for this "accident."

They should shut down all military bases around populated area. I don't have problems with the military. the government should move all the bases in the desert or something to prevent similiar incidents.

BTW...did you see footage of the pilot on his cell phone all laughing, joking, and smiling after the incident? What a jerk!!!!!!!!
There are a bunch of Navy Bases in the middle of nowhere
NAS lemoore, China lake, Fallon, El Centro..
those are just a few...
      12-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #88
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
How come the military haven't apologize and take responsibility for this "accident."

They should shut down all military bases around populated area. I don't have problems with the military. the government should move all the bases in the desert or something to prevent similiar incidents.

BTW...did you see footage of the pilot on his cell phone all laughing, joking, and smiling after the incident? What a jerk!!!!!!!!
Are you people crazy (no offense)? I live in the Norfolk/VA beach/Newport News region of VA. Home to the 1st Flight Squadron, an army base, the biggest Naval Base in the western hemisphere, and one of the largest shipyards in the world (the only one building Nimitz class carriers)

Without the military, the entire economy of a region of 1.5+ million would literally disintegrate. You can't act like the military is some seperate entity from the country they protect. The military is made up of normal people with normal lives living in normal towns.

So if you move all of the bases to the desert, these people are going to need a place to live, places to send their kids to school, a places to shop, places to live normal lives when they're not out risking them for us. So once again, you have cities building up around them. I can guarantee you that if the military were to move out of populated regions... my entire region would probably have to take up agriculture or something.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0