Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

R232 MY2022+ Mercedes SL Roadster

Appears to have a soft top this time around.



Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3961
Rep
8,848
Posts

 
Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I really don't know where they'll go with this car. The GT sure seems like it took its market. Rumor is that it will be a 2+2, which certainly seems stupid given the SL history. Outside of this awful thing, it's always been a two seater.
[IMG]https://cdn.classicdigest.com/live/c...7733d3fb81.jpg[/IMG]

But it is good to see stupid folding hardtops going away on front engine cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
16175
Rep
7,018
Posts

 
Drives: BMW/Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Probably going to replace the S-Class convertible's place in the lineup since the GT stole its thunder.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 1
Germanauto6905.50
      01-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Probably not much room for comfortable back seats.

Test mule for SL vs the S class coupe.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...to-go-22_1.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3961
Rep
8,848
Posts

 
Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Probably not much room for comfortable back seats.

Test mule for SL vs the S class coupe.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...to-go-22_1.jpg
Oh, comfortable? Never. Even the S Class has comically upright seatbacks and narrow space. I can't imagine putting adults back there.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 4
Germanauto6905.50
..Rush..742.00
wdb2887.00
      08-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
16175
Rep
7,018
Posts

 
Drives: BMW/Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Some may not like the soft top but I've actually gotten quite excited for this car. Apparently the new R232 generation will be built by AMG and will share a platform with the next AMG GT, so it will likely be a front-mid engine roadster and have a dual clutch trans-axle, should hopefully be able to shake off the grandpa image that the last few generations gained. There should also be a few interesting models based off this leak.

__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 1
supra931993.50
      08-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
6906
Rep
4,854
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Giulia Ti, Rosso/Brown
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Nice to see that the SL will live on. The current model's styling just didn't get the job done. The R129 and even R230 were very iconic cars especially in pop culture.

Not sure though how much room there is for the SL and AMG GT to co-exist.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
16175
Rep
7,018
Posts

 
Drives: BMW/Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Nice to see that the SL will live on. The current model's styling just didn't get the job done. The R129 and even R230 were very iconic cars especially in pop culture.

Not sure though how much room there is for the SL and AMG GT to co-exist.
I assume they will keep the GT a coupe only this gen. Killing off the E and S convertible also likely frees up some space.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 1
Germanauto6905.50
      08-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #10
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/14/...edes-sl-spied/


Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)




Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #12
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

From https://translate.google.com/transla...jesmb.de/2685/:

SL 43 AMG (232.450) / AMG GT 43 Coupé:

As in the C 43 AMG 4matic +, the new M254 2.0 liter 4-cylinder with 390 hp and overboost are used. In addition, he has the new AMG E-Turbo of the medium 8 PS E-machine (48 volts) to fill the turbo lag on the turbocharger shaft. There is a 48 volt 20 HP ISG (integrated starter generator) in the bell housing. The use of a 4-cylinder may be surprising, but the current Jaguar F-Type P300 also uses a 4-cylinder.

SL 53 4matic+ (232.451) / AMG GT 53 4matic+ Coupé:

The setting here is similar to that of the 43. Here, however, the M139 4-cylinder is used. Coupled here also with the electric AMG turbocharger and here also with the variable 4matic+ all-wheel drive. The output is around 450 hp. Instead of a 48 volt ISG with 20 hp, a 400 volt ISG version could be used here.

SL 53e 4matic+ (232.452) / AMG GT 53e 4matic+ Coupé:

The concept was hotly debated on the C 63e S 4matic+. The M139 4-cylinder petrol engine is used. The 9G-Tronic with 4matic+ distributes the power to all 4 wheels (fully variable between the front and rear axles). There is also an electric motor on the rear axle (P3 layout). The electrical range will be around 60 km. The system performance at just over 500 HP.

SL 63 4matic+ (232.481) / AMG GT 63 4matic+ Coupé:

This engine combination is already well known. M177 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo combined with a 21 HP ISG (48 volt) and 612 HP from the combustion engine ensure a sprint to 100 km/h in around 3.5 s (AMG GT Coupé approx. 3.4 s)

SL 73e 4matic+ (232.482) / AMG GT 73e 4matic+:

This variant has already been announced for the mid-term passing AMG GT 4-door (X290) for mid-2021. It is the same configuration as for the SL 53e only that the 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo is used here. Its performance is paired with a P3 plug-in hybrid (electric motor on the rear axle) and could produce up to 800 hp.

Last edited by supra93; 08-27-2020 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
16175
Rep
7,018
Posts

 
Drives: BMW/Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
From https://translate.google.com/transla...jesmb.de/2685/:

SL 43 AMG (232.450) / AMG GT 43 Coupé:

As in the C 43 AMG 4matic +, the new M254 2.0 liter 4-cylinder with 390 hp and overboost are used. In addition, he has the new AMG E-Turbo of the medium 8 PS E-machine (48 volts) to fill the turbo lag on the turbocharger shaft. There is a 48 volt 20 HP ISG (integrated starter generator) in the bell housing. The use of a 4-cylinder may be surprising, but the current Jaguar F-Type P300 also uses a 4-cylinder.

SL 53 4matic+ (232.451) / AMG GT 53 4matic+ Coupé:

The setting here is similar to that of the 43. Here, however, the M139 4-cylinder is used. Coupled here also with the electric AMG turbocharger and here also with the variable 4matic+ all-wheel drive. The output is around 450 hp. Instead of a 48 volt ISG with 20 hp, a 400 volt ISG version could be used here.

SL 53e 4matic+ (232.452) / AMG GT 53e 4matic+ Coupé:

The concept was hotly debated on the C 63e S 4matic+. The M139 4-cylinder petrol engine is used. The 9G-Tronic with 4matic+ distributes the power to all 4 wheels (fully variable between the front and rear axles). There is also an electric motor on the rear axle (P3 layout). The electrical range will be around 60 km. The system performance at just over 500 HP.

SL 63 4matic+ (232.481) / AMG GT 63 4matic+ Coupé:

This engine combination is already well known. M177 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo combined with a 21 HP ISG (48 volt) and 612 HP from the combustion engine ensure a sprint to 100 km/h in around 3.5 s (AMG GT Coupé approx. 3.4 s)

SL 73e 4matic+ (232.482) / AMG GT 73e 4matic+:

This variant has already been announced for the mid-term passing AMG GT 4-door (X290) for mid-2021. It is the same configuration as for the SL 53e only that the 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo is used here. Its performance is paired with a P3 plug-in hybrid (electric motor on the rear axle) and could produce up to 800 hp.
Has it been confirmed that they will not be using the M256 I6 currently being used in 53 trimmed models? I would imagine they wouldn't offer 3-different trims of 4-cylinders as other sources are saying to expect it to range from 4-cylinder for the base, 6-cylinder for the mid trim, and V8 for the top.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #14
chassis
Major
chassis's Avatar
United_States
1813
Rep
1,261
Posts

 
Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I noticed that also @jstein55. Four cylinders for emissions and cost, V8s for tradition and power, and electric motors because it’s the trend du jour.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #15
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
7269
Rep
19,394
Posts

 
Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Has it been confirmed that they will not be using the M256 I6 currently being used in 53 trimmed models? I would imagine they wouldn't offer 3-different trims of 4-cylinders as other sources are saying to expect it to range from 4-cylinder for the base, 6-cylinder for the mid trim, and V8 for the top.
I agree that it seems unlikely that the M256 will not make an appearance in the R232 SL at all. It's similar skepticism to that one might feel toward W206 C-Class reports claiming all models will use four cylinder engines.

Furthermore, I have never heard of "JESMB" before, so its hard to say if their info can be considered reliable.

It's not hard to believe that Mercedes is moving toward a lineup that features powerful four cylinder MHEV/PHEV engines in entry/mid level models across their entire range. But given how much they've invested in the M256, it just does not compute that they'll rely only on I4 and V8 setups going forward. The I6 has got to figure in there somewhere too.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i16174.50
      08-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3961
Rep
8,848
Posts

 
Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Seems unlikely, but I'd imagine the four and eight are similar length, perhaps the I6 doesn't fit?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
6071
Rep
11,782
Posts

 
Drives: F87 M2C, E92 M3, E36 M3, Z4MR
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Seems unlikely, but I'd imagine the four and eight are similar length, perhaps the I6 doesn't fit?
Something is very wrong when you can't fit an I6 in a 2 seater car with a hood as long as the SL.
__________________
Current: 19 F87 M2C / 08 E92 M3 / 07 E85 Z4M Roadster / 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 1
ntg442517.50
      09-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #18
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/al...on-spy-images/


Appreciate 2
stein_325i16174.50
jesm152.50
      09-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3961
Rep
8,848
Posts

 
Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well that's weird. Like the front of the old Maserati coupe and the back of a Mustang. Haven't liked the last few, looks like that's not going to change.

And Porsche and MB need to step away from the awful exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #20
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

2022 Mercedes-AMG SL 63 Makes Spy Debut With Two Wheel Designs

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/20...wheel-designs/





Appreciate 2
jesm152.50
stein_325i16174.50
      10-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #21
supra93
Colonel
United_States
1994
Rep
2,167
Posts

 
Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #22
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
16175
Rep
7,018
Posts

 
Drives: BMW/Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Sounds like the possible 63e.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST