Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #23
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
2441
Rep
2,958
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
How much battery range do you lose after three years/45,000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #24
jmack
First Lieutenant
jmack's Avatar
410
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: OG M2
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
How much battery range do you lose after three years/45,000 miles?
Average is 2.3% per year.
https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/ even compares battery degradation per EV model.
Appreciate 2
chris7194936.50
c1pher2440.50
      09-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #25
Sedoy
Captain
388
Rep
814
Posts

 
Drives: F10 535xi Triple Black
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

It's a tricky question, different brands got different battery chems, coolings, buffers, software managements etc. For example Nissan Leaf uses passive cooling and suffer from higher battery degradation than other brands with active cooling. Tesla's are very good and in general maintain around 90% after 200k miles. But again it depends on many factors with major being changing speeds and SOC levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
How much battery range do you lose after three years/45,000 miles?
__________________
.
Appreciate 2
chris7194936.50
c1pher2440.50
      09-13-2021, 04:40 PM   #26
chris719
Major General
4937
Rep
5,084
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOP View Post
Weíre screwed for years to come.
It takes time to build plants.

Raw materials come from China.
Most of chips come from China.

Period.
This isn't really true. A lot of people here seem to shoot from the hip and have zero familiarity with the semiconductor supply chain and procurement.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #27
MOTOP
First Lieutenant
MOTOP's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
372
Posts

 
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
This isn't really true. A lot of people here seem to shoot from the hip and have zero familiarity with the semiconductor supply chain and procurement.
Sure. Looks like youíre procurement specialist watching FB and liberal CNBC.
Please have it your way. In any way you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #28
chris719
Major General
4937
Rep
5,084
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOP View Post
Sure. Looks like youíre procurement specialist watching FB and liberal CNBC.
Please have it your way. In any way you want.
lol, what a moron. Guess I should tell my account reps at TI, Marvell, Broadcom, Analog Devices, NXP, Intel, etc. where their product comes from and why it's short.

The only chips you know anything about are potato chips. Stick to those.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #29
MOTOP
First Lieutenant
MOTOP's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
372
Posts

 
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
lol, what a moron. Guess I should tell my account reps at TI, Marvell, Broadcom, Analog Devices, NXP, Intel, etc. where their product comes from and why it's short.

The only chips you know anything about are potato chips. Stick to those.
Come up with some more names, will ya? And more anal-ytics.
Iíll get my chips ready for a couch show.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #30
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
2441
Rep
2,958
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
It's a tricky question, different brands got different battery chems, coolings, buffers, software managements etc. For example Nissan Leaf uses passive cooling and suffer from higher battery degradation than other brands with active cooling. Tesla's are very good and in general maintain around 90% after 200k miles. But again it depends on many factors with major being changing speeds and SOC levels.
Also how much range do you lose in the winter? I realize this isnít apples to apples but my Avalon Hybrid went from 43-44mpg in the summer to about 34-36mpg in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #31
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
2441
Rep
2,958
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
lol, what a moron. Guess I should tell my account reps at TI, Marvell, Broadcom, Analog Devices, NXP, Intel, etc. where their product comes from and why it's short.

The only chips you know anything about are potato chips. Stick to those.
I donít understand why people get so upset when offering opposing viewpoints. Most of the time I see this on the forum, no one is offering actual evidence or proof of their position so I just take it all with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 1
MassNerd146.00
      09-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #32
chris719
Major General
4937
Rep
5,084
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I don’t understand why people get so upset when offering opposing viewpoints. Most of the time I see this on the forum, no one is offering actual evidence or proof of their position so I just take it all with a grain of salt.
Did you read the post I replied to where I get called a liberal CNBC watcher because this guy has no idea what he’s talking about? I’m going to give it back to mouthbreathers like that. I politely suggested he didn’t have it right and clearly didn’t work in the industry or any related industry before he started with the political insults.

BTW it’s not a viewpoint, he’s factually wrong about the country of origin of the scarce automotive chips and the reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #33
FCX5
Major
FCX5's Avatar
United_States
908
Rep
1,393
Posts

 
Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOP View Post
We’re screwed for years to come.
It takes time to build plants.

Raw materials come from China.
Most of chips come from China.

China is not a friend of the US.

Period.
Biggest chip companies, chip type and where they are made, etc etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_industry

China has about 15% wafer capacity (determines production capacity)


There might be components that China is the largest producer of, but surprisingly semiconductor isn't an area that China is a leader in. I believe Malaysia has a bigger impact on automotive chips than China...
Appreciate 1
chris7194936.50
      09-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #34
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
2441
Rep
2,958
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 911 Targa 4S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Did you read the post I replied to where I get called a liberal CNBC watcher because this guy has no idea what heís talking about? Iím going to give it back to mouthbreathers like that. I politely suggested he didnít have it right and clearly didnít work in the industry or any related industry before he started with the political insults.

BTW itís not a viewpoint, heís factually wrong about the country of origin of the scarce automotive chips and the reason.
I wasnít talking about you.
Appreciate 1
chris7194936.50
      09-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #35
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
DenverSteve's Avatar
400
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Denver / L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I donít understand why people get so upset when offering opposing viewpoints. Most of the time I see this on the forum, no one is offering actual evidence or proof of their position so I just take it all with a grain of salt.
Don't stress about it. You can't fix stupid.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST