New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

11-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #36125
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Each state does it their way:
For his Junior Operator License the Commonwealth of Massachusetts wants your blood…

because of his age (under 18) they require time logged in behind the wheel (not just by parents stating) but by recognized state driving instructors and classroom lessons (online now)

the 250+ hours is what he ultimately got but 50 will do

Kansas was by far the most loose, on his 14th birthday we flew in, ate BBQ then straight to the DMV, 20 min and $15 he was legit!
That's pretty crazy. In all fairness, I wish more states required more time behind the wheel to obtain a license.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615333.00
ramman434712.00
Esteban43791.50
      11-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #36126
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Quote:
Each state does it their way:
For his Junior Operator License the Commonwealth of Massachusetts wants your blood…

because of his age (under 18) they require time logged in behind the wheel (not just by parents stating) but by recognized state driving instructors and classroom lessons (online now)

the 250+ hours is what he ultimately got but 50 will do

Kansas was by far the most loose, on his 14th birthday we flew in, ate BBQ then straight to the DMV, 20 min and $15 he was legit!
That's pretty crazy. In all fairness, I wish more states required more time behind the wheel to obtain a license.
I agree. Considering the responsibility and the possible bad outcomes, I think in most places it's too easy to get a license.
      11-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #36127
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I agree. Considering the responsibility and the possible bad outcomes, I think in most places it's too easy to get a license.
Most definitely was too easy to obtain in TN.....oh, say 30 years ago. Explains much of my frustration driving today, sharing the road with "good enough driver's."
Appreciate 3
NEfan5082658.50
Esteban43791.50
      11-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #36128
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Most definitely was too easy to obtain in TN.....oh, say 30 years ago. Explains much of my frustration driving today, sharing the road with "good enough driver's."
My son got his license here in California 18 years ago and it was ridiculously easy. He was prepared, but honestly almost anybody, prepared or not, could've passed.
      11-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #36129
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
My son got his license here in California 18 years ago and it was ridiculously easy. He was prepared, but honestly almost anybody, prepared or not, could've passed.
Do they even teach parallel parking anymore??
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #36130
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My uncle is an LEO. I got the entire gambit of advice and driving instructions from him, along with "Driving is a privilege, not a right" lecture. Even back then, I thought to myself, "Then stop handing DL's out like candy to everyone."
Appreciate 1
Esteban43791.50
      11-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #36131
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Do they even teach parallel parking anymore??

What are you going on about?

Seriously though.....no. The one's doing the teaching can't do it, so they don't want to be embarrassed.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      11-08-2021, 03:28 PM   #36132
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
a nice common sense system would be great across all 50 states

like some logged in time behind the wheel by family/parents verifying with a signed affidavit

16 years old minimum, 14 in Kansas is just weird

new car stickers: DRIVING IN JAPAN - beginner drivers use a Shoshinsha Mark that new drivers must display on their cars for one year after they obtain a standard driver's license. There Is also a Fukushi Mark used to denote elderly drivers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
TiMSport12803.00
King Rudi13154.00
Esteban43791.50
Buug95917426.00
      11-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #36133
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

like some logged in time behind the wheel by family/parents verifying with a signed affidavit

new car stickers: DRIVING IN JAPAN - beginner drivers use a Shoshinsha Mark that new drivers must display on their cars for one year after they obtain a standard driver's license. There Is also a Fukushi Mark used to denote elderly drivers.
I'm sorry. Common what? Yeah, we're full blown living in Idiocracy. We're more likely to water plants with Brawndo before using a common sense approach to anything now.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615333.00
antgenn319.00
      11-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #36134
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sorry. Common what? ...
Obituary to Common Sense

OBITUARY---Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories, and helping people get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable time-tested parenting strategies (the parents are in charge, not the kids), and it is O.K. to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends, including body piercing, whole language, and "new math.” But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-helps-only-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well-intentioned but overbearing regulations.

He watched in pain as good people became ruled by selfseeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parents when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and Federal judges stuck their noses into everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports. Finally, when a woman, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a hugh settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low-flow toilets, rocking chairs, and step ladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone..
Appreciate 15
King Rudi13154.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
TiMSport12803.00
NEfan5082658.50
Murf99314114.00
Lady Jane70879.00
Dino GT35134.50
vreihen1615333.00
Buug95917426.00
hubbahubba8842.00
selbyp93163.50
shannon1639.50
antgenn319.00
DieselOG1673.50
      11-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #36135
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Obituary to Common Sense

OBITUARY---Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories, and helping people get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable time-tested parenting strategies (the parents are in charge, not the kids), and it is O.K. to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends, including body piercing, whole language, and "new math.” But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-helps-only-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well-intentioned but overbearing regulations.

He watched in pain as good people became ruled by selfseeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parents when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and Federal judges stuck their noses into everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports. Finally, when a woman, too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a hugh settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low-flow toilets, rocking chairs, and step ladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Appreciate 1
selbyp93163.50
      11-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #36136
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep

Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:

... And since then, emergency woke stations have sprouted all over the cities.

Attachment 2738458

Last edited by Lady Jane; 01-06-2022 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 11
JJ 911SC22450.00
kscarrol8912.00
Murf99314114.00
MKSixer34184.50
selbyp93163.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
Admiral776.00
shannon1639.50
3GFX722.50
sygazelle11420.50
DieselOG1673.50
      11-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #36137
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:

14 is not weird in a state where a lot of kids learn to drive farm equipment, including trucks.

We can do a better job of educating drivers before they are licensed, but there will still be a lot of value in something like Street Survival after they have some real-world driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #36138
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
This guy looks like he's about to tell me a story that I won't want to remember.

Also, he looks like Uncle Jesse (Dukes of Hazard) and Captain Spaulding had a baby.
That guy must have an interesting story to tell for him to fake his death for 20 years
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      11-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #36139
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Obituary to Common Sense

It's rumored Common Sense was stolen in the last election.

Which turned out to be Fake News. Thanks to Common Sense.

SOB died. But then he lived. What a Legend.

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
shannon1639.50
King Rudi13154.00
      11-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #36140
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Quote:

14 is not weird in a state where a lot of kids learn to drive farm equipment, including trucks.

We can do a better job of educating drivers before they are licensed, but there will still be a lot of value in something like Street Survival after they have some real-world driving experience.
@2000cs

My son was moving front loaders since 12 (private property) driving @ 13-14, I agree with you in some areas it's fine for young teens to drive but as a whole, most states should have a minimum of 16

Farm license is another story

A 14-16 year old with driving education is better than a new driver without any @ 18+ IMO

My son got the gist of 6MT watching YouTube, better than me trying to explain "feathering out the clutch/gas pedals" these kids can learn if their interested but need to be taught properly, online does work with some driving @ that age

Edit: I feel ladyjane is grinding her teeth reading my nonsense about teen driving/state laws on the lol thread, no more I promise
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      11-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #36141
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

Quote:
@hubbahubba

He's into anything with wheels, from my bobcat front loader to scooters/go carts

all I want is for him to learn good habits when he's driving and to have as much experience as possible before he's on the road alone

how to learn proper driving? time behind the wheel and really good instructors

https://teamoneil.com/ it's in NH, just north of us and BMW teen class @ SC then the training wheels are off
Absolutely fantastic. Good parenting at it's best!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #36142
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post

FWIW, at 14 I was driving a 10 wheel dump truck, 5 speed with split axel, towing a trailer with a 5000 gallon tank of water through all kinds of muck. Served me well. I was also shooting gophers during the 20 minute fill. 16 hours a day and I loved every minute.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #36143
selbyp93
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F22 M235i

True or False?
Name:  252478766_10159806732145522_3313957412203361775_n.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  176.1 KB
Appreciate 7
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
shannon1639.50
jesm207.50
Buug95917426.00
Poiseuille5392.50
DieselOG1673.50
      11-09-2021, 05:38 AM   #36144
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Attached Images

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 11
hubbahubba8842.00
King Rudi13154.00
Murf99314114.00
Joe2402925.00
jesm207.50
DieselOG1673.50
shannon1639.50
upstatedoc7563.50
Buug95917426.00
      11-09-2021, 05:57 AM   #36145
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by selbyp93 View Post
True or False?
Attachment 2738660
This is a bit like copying the handwriting but not the correct answers!

Reminds me of 1982, when I took a job at Ford Motor Co. We had a bunch of 533i running around so they could be evaluated, understood and reverse engineered (after disassembly and attempted re-assembly, they were sold as private party sales back then). Ford wanted to understand European sports sedans and this was their approach. While they developed these new cars, they imported the Merkur XR4Ti. Eventually we were treated to the Taurus/Sable.

During this time I also strongly remember a top executive referring to Mercedes as “hemorrhoid cars” because the ride and seats were so firm. We called them supportive.

Anyway I decided I could wait for Ford to develop a good copy of a BMW, or just go buy a BMW. I left Ford after just two years.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615333.00
selbyp93163.50
King Rudi13154.00
      11-09-2021, 07:04 AM   #36146
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep

Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

This guy is nuts or really skilled...

Appreciate 9
Mirko182.00