New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Jeep Gladiator

Anyone else excited for this thing? I don't see any talk about it outside of the Jeep guys really. I've owned a ton of Jeeps through the years and this thing just checks a lot of boxes on the fun and practical ends of the spectrum.

What are your thoughts on it? A couple dealers are raking in the sales by offering under invoice with no gimmicks. Has me speccing a Rubicon in Sting Grey and wondering...

https://www.jeep.com/gladiator.html
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I briefly looked at one at the local dealership a few weeks ago. It was in the evening and I didn't get inside it, as the dealership was closed. I had a YJ for 12 years or so, so I'm no stranger to the "Jeep thing". I wasn't that impressed with the Gladiator. I think its stupidly named too.

I got rid of my old F150 and the YJ to downsize to one combo vehicle, which is a Hummer H3T. Had the Gladiator been out 10 years ago, we'd probably have gotten it over the Hummer, well if it was called something else... like Scrambler.

The Gladiator is available with a manual transmission, which is really the only interest I may have in it. The box didn't seem to impressive IMO.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I briefly looked at one at the local dealership a few weeks ago. It was in the evening and I didn't get inside it, as the dealership was closed. I had a YJ for 12 years or so, so I'm no stranger to the "Jeep thing". I wasn't that impressed with the Gladiator. I think its stupidly named too.

I got rid of my old F150 and the YJ to downsize to one combo vehicle, which is a Hummer H3T. Had the Gladiator been out 10 years ago, we'd probably have gotten it over the Hummer, well if it was called something else... like Scrambler.

The Gladiator is available with a manual transmission, which is really the only interest I may have in it. The box didn't seem to impressive IMO.
The Scrambler would have been cool! They’re just playing homage to the old, original Gladiator truck they made back in the 70s and 80s. That was the truck based on the Wagoneer.

I drove one and it was surprisingly comfortable and nice to drive. I’d say it took bumps in the road better than my wife’s Grand Cherokee.

We’re thinking of consolidating the Grand Cherokee and Mini Cooper to one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I see them all over the place but they still looks awkward to me. FWIW, so do two door Wranglers now.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17199.00
      08-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
The Scrambler would have been cool! They’re just playing homage to the old, original Gladiator truck they made back in the 70s and 80s. That was the truck based on the Wagoneer.

I drove one and it was surprisingly comfortable and nice to drive. I’d say it took bumps in the road better than my wife’s Grand Cherokee.

We’re thinking of consolidating the Grand Cherokee and Mini Cooper to one.
Did you drive the auto or manual? The only thing I don't like about my H3T is the 4L65 GM auto trans. I've blown it up once already. I have the Alpha with the 5.3L small block, which is a great engine, it's just the trans sucks. If there was a way to convert it to manual I would convert it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

I would never buy anything that came from FCA but that being said I am drawn towards the Gladiator, looks awesome.

Wouldn't be able to stomach having one for a long period of time though considering the previous generation wrangler had issues with welds breaking on the frame among many other issues that FCA has had with reliability - https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangl...a-i-1829551649
Red Bread4463.00
      08-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
We owned a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with over 350,000 miles. Unfortunately I gave it to my son who promptly killed it. Anyway, my wife and I are excited to be getting one, just waiting for things to line up money wise. I can’t see myself driving a Taco, Colorado or a Ranger. And my wife doesn’t want another F-150 even though I’d be okay with it. We prefer a smaller truck. We like the removable top and many of the little upgrades our old Jeep didn’t have. Granted it was a small SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you drive the auto or manual? The only thing I don't like about my H3T is the 4L65 GM auto trans. I've blown it up once already. I have the Alpha with the 5.3L small block, which is a great engine, it's just the trans sucks. If there was a way to convert it to manual I would convert it.
The one I drove was the 8AT. Same as our GC I’m sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post
I would never buy anything that came from FCA but that being said I am drawn towards the Gladiator, looks awesome.

Wouldn't be able to stomach having one for a long period of time though considering the previous generation wrangler had issues with welds breaking on the frame among many other issues that FCA has had with reliability - https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangl...a-i-1829551649
First I’ve heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
We owned a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with over 350,000 miles. Unfortunately I gave it to my son who promptly killed it. Anyway, my wife and I are excited to be getting one, just waiting for things to line up money wise. I can’t see myself driving a Taco, Colorado or a Ranger. And my wife doesn’t want another F-150 even though I’d be okay with it. We prefer a smaller truck. We like the removable top and many of the little upgrades our old Jeep didn’t have. Granted it was a small SUV.
We also have a 2001 XJ Limited. It’s just a stock one that’s in great shape and looks good. That one will just be going to my dad if we get rid of it at all. I’ve had great luck with Jeeps over the years.

I think it will retain some fun with the ability to take off the doors and all, but be very versatile being a truck that has a pretty good tow rating and okay payload. Wife has given the green light, I’m just apprehensive for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post

Thank you for posting that. Had been looking at JL's recently. Off the list until they fix this.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

I leased a JL 2018 and love it, rides great, good tech, top comes off in 30 seconds. Planning on buying a Rubicon when my lease is up. The Gladiator is sweet but it’s huge even compared to a regular wrangler
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I leased a JL 2018 and love it, rides great, good tech, top comes off in 30 seconds. Planning on buying a Rubicon when my lease is up. The Gladiator is sweet but it’s huge even compared to a regular wrangler
Agreed. The length of 215 inches makes it a strong no go for me. Hell, I'm considering a two door with the spare mounted inside just to keep it as short as possible. But I'm pretty sure the limited visibility would drive me crazy.

[IMG]https://excessiveindustries.com/uplo...i17_w2560.jpeg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Agreed. The length of 215 inches makes it a strong no go for me. Hell, I'm considering a two door with the spare mounted inside just to keep it as short as possible. But I'm pretty sure the limited visibility would drive me crazy.

[IMG]https://excessiveindustries.com/uplo...i17_w2560.jpeg[/IMG]
I think the length is nuts; I agree. But, it is something that would work great for us. We talk of kids, so I think having the rear cabin space is going to be worth it compared to that of a Tacoma or something. To wrap it up into a single package to have a truck bed, I think this would be our option aside from a full size truck (which I don't think the Gladiator is far from - I measured my dad's old 2005 F-150 wheelbase at 139" vs the Gladiator's 137"). But I don't really see a reason for the full size truck because I lose the cool factor! A more capable Wrangler is how I see it. The wheelbase looks more at home on a 2" lift with 37" tires, but now I'm starting to go off the deep end...

And don't do that with your spare if you're planning on using the Jeep around town. I did that with a crawler I built, but that was a dedicated rig on 1 ton axles, stretched wheelbase, custom cage, coilovers, 39.5 tires, hydro steering, etc. It worked well for its purpose, but if I ever took it on the street it was impossible to see anything. But that was also effectively a 40" tire back there, too
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      08-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Ha, got a four year old and a dog. Still debating the two door, but I make a GTI work now, so I don't think that's a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #14
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Didn't they have a lease deal for the base model Gladiator for $150/month with 0 down?
      08-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #15
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
We also have a 2001 XJ Limited. It’s just a stock one that’s in great shape and looks good. That one will just be going to my dad if we get rid of it at all. I’ve had great luck with Jeeps over the years.

I think it will retain some fun with the ability to take off the doors and all, but be very versatile being a truck that has a pretty good tow rating and okay payload. Wife has given the green light, I’m just apprehensive for some reason.
I feel like it’s fairly low risk since it’s essentially a wrangler with a bed. The bed can’t really malfunction, maybe I’m thinking too simplistically.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17199.00
      08-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #16
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Didn't they have a lease deal for the base model Gladiator for $150/month with 0 down?
I don’t see a deal anywhere close to that now, but at one point, (almost) yes. Still needed money down.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...od-lease-deal/
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Priced a Rubicon... $50K, whew!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #18
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They can get pricey quick! Some dealers have some killer deals going if you shop. The Rubicon I've specced with about $6k of options brings me to a good chunk less than $50k OTD for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They can get pricey quick! Some dealers have some killer deals going if you shop. The Rubicon I've specced with about $6k of options brings me to a good chunk less than $50k OTD for example.
I added the 3-piece top for $1,195 and the Alpine stereo speakers for $1,295, Spray-in bedliner $495, and leather. I think that was pretty much it. In 1996, our stripper YJ was $12,500
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

For 50k, I'll take a Tacoma TRD Pro or Colorado ZR2.
      08-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The only advantage I see with the Gladiator is you can remove the roof and doors and it comes with a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #22
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The only advantage I see with the Gladiator is you can remove the roof and doors and it comes with a manual transmission.
And resale. The Tacoma isn't bad but the Colorado is a mess, resale wise. They do drive well, had one as a rental for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0