New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #23
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I don't agree with the behavior but I agree that it's not at all uncommon.
Absolutely it is happening FAR too often and at many companies. One would think that a juggernaut of revenue (tops in the world in fact) would be a tad more sensitive and respectful to the very people who contribute in making these BILLIONS in profit!

I'm not a fan of Apple per say, but I did think they had a much better culture than this to it's employees.
      04-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #24
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
What is funny yet troubling, are some of the comments here in agreement or acceptance of this pitiful behavior on any level. Be it Small Business or Corporate.
Just because you happen to work for a Fortune 500 Co (woop te doo) what gives them (management, executive mgt, or other) right to verbally, socially, emotionally ABUSE it's employees/staff? That is some foul shit... Period. But the fact that some "accept it as normal" is just as troubling. If enough workers shed light and refused to be door mats for these companies, there would be change or they simply would not have "quality, qualified, productive employees" willing to stick around and take that abuse. I mean, there is NOTHING in this world more valuable and precious than TIME and FAMILY. At least not for me. If a workplace refuses to respect those very 'basic life values' then I don't want to have shit to do with them. No matter how much they compensate me. Which leads to another issue with society... Believing $$$ is the "Be All and End All". Sad existence if you ask me. But then again, I'm mid 40s and a family man. But even if I wasn't, my character refuses to be a 'slave to any company' that under values or even abuses me. Oh yeah... I've had my stint with the Chase's, Wells Fargo's, AT&T, and BofA's of the world. Sitting in on meetings, hearing profanity laced rants and empty praises heaped all around. I've walked out on plenty and finally realized I had to do my own shit because at the end of the day... You are simply a 'number' to these vampires. And if I didn't have the integrity, drive, and determination to go into business for myself nearly a decade ago now, I sure as hell wouldn't be working for some shysters like these guys. Fuk that.
I never said it's justified, good, or acceptable. I said it wasn't uncommon.

I then went on to say that you have to stand up for yourself because in the real world, big business doesn't give a shit about you or your family. It's up to the employee to make management show respect and choose your spots. There are a lot of advantages to working in the big business world, but you have to manage your manager.

You can "woop te doo" it all you want. I'm not saying it's the lottery, but there is more respect for working for a company that makes real things, solves real problems, and delivers results to shareholders versus working at some shithole place for peanuts. Don't get me wrong, some small companies are great, but I'd have pride working at Apple. It's a great company.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 04-09-2015 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #25
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Absolutely it is happening FAR too often and at many companies. One would think that a juggernaut of revenue (tops in the world in fact) would be a tad more sensitive and respectful to the very people who contribute in making these BILLIONS in profit!

I'm not a fan of Apple per say, but I did think they had a much better culture than this to it's employees.
Remember, this is ONE person's anecdotal story on his FORMER company. It can be taken with a grain of salt. I know 3 people who work at Apple and they say it's great pay, great culture, and a lot of satisfaction. Also anecdotal, but one story doesn't mean the "culture" is bad. Obviously, Apple gets top talent and maintains it to be the best in the world.

All work has shit aspects to it and it's no uncommon to complain about the very things this guy said. That doesn't mean it's all bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #26
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:

I agree completely, but this is what happens when you have multitudes of people who could fill a job. Employers are holding all the cards, they can treat their employees as poorly as they wish.

This is why wages won't increase in this country. There are too many people, not enough jobs, and the advent of robots/technology is only going to make that gap wider. You either suck it up, shop at the company store, or go on some sort of welfare with the other record number of Americans sucking on that tit.

Enjoy Amerika.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #27
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
What is funny yet troubling, are some of the comments here in agreement or acceptance of this pitiful behavior on any level. Be it Small Business or Corporate.
Just because you happen to work for a Fortune 500 Co (woop te doo) what gives them (management, executive mgt, or other) right to verbally, socially, emotionally ABUSE it's employees/staff? That is some foul shit... Period. But the fact that some "accept it as normal" is just as troubling. If enough workers shed light and refused to be door mats for these companies, there would be change or they simply would not have "quality, qualified, productive employees" willing to stick around and take that abuse. I mean, there is NOTHING in this world more valuable and precious than TIME and FAMILY. At least not for me. If a workplace refuses to respect those very 'basic life values' then I don't want to have shit to do with them. No matter how much they compensate me. Which leads to another issue with society... Believing $$$ is the "Be All and End All". Sad existence if you ask me. But then again, I'm mid 40s and a family man. But even if I wasn't, my character refuses to be a 'slave to any company' that under values or even abuses me. Oh yeah... I've had my stint with the Chase's, Wells Fargo's, AT&T, and BofA's of the world. Sitting in on meetings, hearing profanity laced rants and empty praises heaped all around. I've walked out on plenty and finally realized I had to do my own shit because at the end of the day... You are simply a 'number' to these vampires. And if I didn't have the integrity, drive, and determination to go into business for myself nearly a decade ago now, I sure as hell wouldn't be working for some shysters like these guys. Fuk that.
Makes a profanity laced rant to bitch about profanity laced rants.

Seriously though, no one is holding any gun to the employees of apple, chase, WF, etc... Ipso facto, all the employees of those companies must accept it as normal, no? if it were that important to them, they would leave and apple would have to change it's culture. But they don't, and they won't because the line to work at apple is quite long indeed.

I thought it was widely known that the internal culture at apple sucked donkey balls. I don't know a single person who's worked there, at any level, who loved their time there.
      04-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #28
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

When I was working with competitor of Apple (and also a partner), Apple was probably one of the worst company you can get into.

The guy who wrote that was NICE.
      04-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #29
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i wish some of Apple's slaves could write blogs about what it's like building apple products. should i have not said slaves? was that too harsh? i'm sorry. kind of.

Last edited by gtron; 04-09-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #30
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i wish some of Apple's slaves could write blogs about what it's like to building apple products. should i have not said slaves? was that too harsh? i'm sorry. kind of.
Not harsh at all.
It is their choice to work for brand name like AAPL, GS, JPM, etc. I was one of the dumb one during early-mid 20s to chase those "brand name" companies and got exploited by them.

As I transitioned to a much smaller companies, I had way more decision making roles, and my opinion mattered.

Most of the companies who are ahead tends to get their marginal prod of labor as efficient or push beyond the limit. That is how corporate have fairly decent earnings. Good for shareholders like me.

However, it is real b1tch to work for those companies.

During the bear market, I did some studies how companies (retail, to tech etc) tries to exploit their employees out of their breaks and lunch. Then when class action hits, they settle for lousy $1000. LOL

I know few med size retail companies which benefited off of exploiting the employees during 2008-2010, and settling it for about $1000 per class action participant. Corporate still went ahead after paying them off.

As being said, I would still work for those beat up companies in the 2008 as part time job to accumulate those cheap shares from tiny 401k+esop/espp.
      04-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #31
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep

Drives: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i wish some of Apple's slaves could write blogs about what it's like to building apple products. should i have not said slaves? was that too harsh? i'm sorry. kind of.
Only Chinese people working in the manufacturing line are REAL slave. Especially for apple. Paying $5 a day with no overtime.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #32
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Drives: a car

Not surprising at all, especially for a company the size of Apple. The higher up a position, the more it revolves around meetings. It's usually the bottom positions who actually do the work. The rest (managers, district managers, supervisors, executives, etc) just report to the person above them, about the person below them.

Banking is another good example.

Bankers and tellers produce, may have short 10 minute meetings before the branch opens to talk about goals.

Managers are constantly on conference calls and at meetings with the district manager, discussing the branch.

District managers are constantly in meetings with the market president, discussing what the manager said.

Market presidents are constantly in meetings with...
      04-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #33
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
Not surprising at all, especially for a company the size of Apple. The higher up a position, the more it revolves around meetings. It's usually the bottom positions who actually do the work. The rest (managers, district managers, supervisors, executives, etc) just report to the person above them, about the person below them.

Bankers and tellers produce, may have short 10 minute meetings before the branch opens to talk about goals.

Managers are constantly on conference calls and at meetings with the district manager, discussing the branch.

District managers are constantly in meetings with the market president, discussing what the manager said.

Which is why when the axe falls, it often clears out middle management.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #34
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep

Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Develop a skill that is unique and highly desirable, make yourself indispensable...then the balance shifts slightly back to the employee...worked for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #35
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybingo View Post
Only Chinese people working in the manufacturing line are REAL slave. Especially for apple. Paying $5 a day with no overtime.
Actually quite far from the truth but I'm not here to defend apple.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #36
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Everywhere I've worked in my field was the same. He needs to grow up and accept it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:25 AM   #37
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six
Quote:

Which is why when the axe falls, it often clears out middle management.
Haven't had to much experience with situations like that. The 3 years I was at Wells Fargo, management was usually well protected. They would just move around (different branch/district). Bankers and Tellers were very disposable.
      04-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #38
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Haven't had to much experience with situations like that. The 3 years I was at Wells Fargo, management was usually well protected. They would just move around (different branch/district). Bankers and Tellers were very disposable.
I know of an insurance company that once cleared out their mail room staff. Then they had much higher paid claims adjusters sorting and delivering mail. Not too bright. Someone has to do the hands-on stuff. Work the trenches, so to speak.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #39
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Everywhere I've worked in my field was the same. He needs to grow up and accept it.
Or not.
      04-10-2015, 09:12 AM   #40
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I worked for Oracle for a bit. You think Apple is awful? Think again.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #41
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I've known people who've worked for Apple who really enjoyed it. It's all in what you're doing, who you report to, and the environment of your specific team.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #42
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh snap! You worked for good old Larry?
I hope you weren't in sales for ORCL.
I don't know now, but I've heard that ORCL sales staff gets and pushes very hard. Good pay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I worked for Oracle for a bit. You think Apple is awful? Think again.
      04-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Oh snap! You worked for good old Larry?
I hope you weren't in sales for ORCL.
I don't know now, but I've heard that ORCL sales staff gets and pushes very hard. Good pay too.
I was in sales, and yes you get pushed extremely hard. Sure, the pay is good but I didn't find it to be worth it, whatsoever. Their culture is the worst.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #44
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybingo View Post
Care to chime in and tell us what the average wage is in China for this type of labor and how comparatively underpaid those Foxconn employees are?

Are you also the type to argue that McDonalds and WalMart employees should be getting paid $20/hour for what they do?
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0