New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #45
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
What is funny yet troubling, are some of the comments here in agreement or acceptance of this pitiful behavior on any level. Be it Small Business or Corporate.
Just because you happen to work for a Fortune 500 Co (woop te doo) what gives them (management, executive mgt, or other) right to verbally, socially, emotionally ABUSE it's employees/staff? That is some foul shit... Period. But the fact that some "accept it as normal" is just as troubling. If enough workers shed light and refused to be door mats for these companies, there would be change or they simply would not have "quality, qualified, productive employees" willing to stick around and take that abuse. I mean, there is NOTHING in this world more valuable and precious than TIME and FAMILY. At least not for me. If a workplace refuses to respect those very 'basic life values' then I don't want to have shit to do with them. No matter how much they compensate me. Which leads to another issue with society... Believing $$$ is the "Be All and End All". Sad existence if you ask me. But then again, I'm mid 40s and a family man. But even if I wasn't, my character refuses to be a 'slave to any company' that under values or even abuses me. Oh yeah... I've had my stint with the Chase's, Wells Fargo's, AT&T, and BofA's of the world. Sitting in on meetings, hearing profanity laced rants and empty praises heaped all around. I've walked out on plenty and finally realized I had to do my own shit because at the end of the day... You are simply a 'number' to these vampires. And if I didn't have the integrity, drive, and determination to go into business for myself nearly a decade ago now, I sure as hell wouldn't be working for some shysters like these guys. Fuk that.
Agreed. This was THE reason i quit and went back to school. No point being miserable forever.
      04-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #46
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
What is funny yet troubling, are some of the comments here in agreement or acceptance of this pitiful behavior on any level. Be it Small Business or Corporate.
Just because you happen to work for a Fortune 500 Co (woop te doo) what gives them (management, executive mgt, or other) right to verbally, socially, emotionally ABUSE it's employees/staff? That is some foul shit... Period. But the fact that some "accept it as normal" is just as troubling. If enough workers shed light and refused to be door mats for these companies, there would be change or they simply would not have "quality, qualified, productive employees" willing to stick around and take that abuse. I mean, there is NOTHING in this world more valuable and precious than TIME and FAMILY. At least not for me. If a workplace refuses to respect those very 'basic life values' then I don't want to have shit to do with them. No matter how much they compensate me. Which leads to another issue with society... Believing $$$ is the "Be All and End All". Sad existence if you ask me. But then again, I'm mid 40s and a family man. But even if I wasn't, my character refuses to be a 'slave to any company' that under values or even abuses me. Oh yeah... I've had my stint with the Chase's, Wells Fargo's, AT&T, and BofA's of the world. Sitting in on meetings, hearing profanity laced rants and empty praises heaped all around. I've walked out on plenty and finally realized I had to do my own shit because at the end of the day... You are simply a 'number' to these vampires. And if I didn't have the integrity, drive, and determination to go into business for myself nearly a decade ago now, I sure as hell wouldn't be working for some shysters like these guys. Fuk that.
I didn't really read the whole article or all the posts in this thread, but the fact is that this stuff happens and it's nothing to get surprised at. I'm sure no one agrees or considers it normal but it is reality and it's nothing new. Well, I hope no one agrees with it. No one is forced to work somewhere they are not comfortable with.

One thing I don't agree with you on is TIME being more important than HEALTH. How you spend your time is up to you. If you feel like your time as been wasted, only person to blame is yourself for wasting it.
      04-11-2015, 12:59 AM   #47
MrHerboto
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xit

Having worked for a very large national freight carrier for nearly ten years, this more or less describes the day to day interactions and culture of that industry. No job sector is immune. It's a lot like looking at the bad apples of policing, you have the bullies who go into the job and continue their work or those who have been bullied that use it as an upper hand. There's a lot of low level thinking and motivations that pervade the management ranks of many companies, that is why so many companies large and small struggle and fail...management ranks are filled with people more interested in this sort of behavior and not running a business. That said, Apple's success or any company's success in light of this sort of management has nothing to do with the management that acts in this way; it's in spite of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #48
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
This is among a large amount of reasons why I still refuse to own an iDevice.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #49
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Care to chime in and tell us what the average wage is in China for this type of labor and how comparatively underpaid those Foxconn employees are?

Are you also the type to argue that McDonalds and WalMart employees should be getting paid $20/hour for what they do?
For unskilled labor, Foxconn pays the most for iDevice workers. That's why there's so much corruption, money changing hands, underaged workers, high demand, workers coming from all over to work for Foxconn iDevices etc. If you look at Foxconn, it's a city by itself.
      04-15-2015, 01:40 AM   #50
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
This is among a large amount of reasons why I still refuse to own an iDevice.
Somehow I don't think Google is any better.

Also looks like he worked for AppleCare technical support as a manager. Can anyone see that's probably not the best position to be in. And he didn't mention the fun part, when Jobs was running the show. He would pit one group against another and let them fight it out for the "best" product. Let's just say it wasn't all fun and games. But really Google probably isn't any better since I read stories about Google too.

Last edited by hongsc; 04-15-2015 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #51
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Somehow I don't think Google is any better.

Also looks like he worked for AppleCare technical support as a manager. Can anyone see that's probably not the best position to be in. And he didn't mention the fun part, when Jobs was running the show. He would pit one group against another and let them fight it out for the "best" product. Let's just say it wasn't all fun and games. But really Google probably isn't any better since I read stories about Google too.
I meant it sarcastically in another context by generalizing my product preference; I've heard stories about Jobs, and in my opinion, it's hard to take someone who doesn't change his wardrobe much or park an unplated vehicle in the disabled person's parking spots without placards too seriously, although I'm sure Page and Brin probably have their own quirks.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0