New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

06-05-2024, 01:34 PM   #1
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: '25 X5 50e

Open World Games

What are your favorte games? And on which platforms?

I prefer PC gaming for a few reasons - I much prefer mouse and keyboard to a controller, and I spend the majority of my day at my computer anyway. I still have a first gen PlayStation (favorite back in the day was MediEvil), had a Wii (long ago yardsaled), and have a Playstation 3 that I haven't used in years.

On PC my current favorites are Elden Ring, Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West, The Last of Us, and ALL of the Far Cry games (tossup between Far Cry 5 and New Dawn).

Just read the Elden Ring DLC "Shadow of the ErdTree" will be released on June 21, super excited for that.

Let's hear some of your favorite games, for which platform(s), and what makes them so good in your opinion?

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize there was a subforum for games

Last edited by JeffL0; 06-05-2024 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 01:57 PM   #2
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

have to add Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Love the open world games.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 06:43 PM   #3
CoupeLyfe803
Rep

Drives: X7 m50i

Replaying Cyberpunk 2077 and Batman Arkham Trilogy on ps5
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 07:28 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeLyfe803 View Post
Replaying Cyberpunk 2077 and Batman Arkham Trilogy on ps5
      06-21-2024, 01:21 PM   #5
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Just got the Shadow of the ErdTree DLC ... bummer though, savegames are not compatible, so you have to start a new game, and, you can't access the new realm until you defeat Mohg... been playing a couple hours and already leveled Vigor to 25 lol
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 08:29 AM   #6
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

I always play on PC.

Witcher III is probably my favorite.

I love the Horizon games and the story. I'm about half ways through Forbidden West. My only complaint is the respawn, it should take longer than it does.

Fallout 3 and 4. I was really let down by Starfield. I was hoping for open galaxy with all sorts of things to explore and do, but I got bored fast.

I dig Cyberpunk, but it's too "busy". After hours and hours of play I still can't remember the map.

American and Euro Truck Sims. Sometimes it's fun to just sit down and drive.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2024, 02:55 PM   #7
Vmohan5072
Private
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Elden Ring is always on my list of game I want to try but my backlog is far too big to tackle it yet.

Currently, I'm on Red Dead Redemption 2. Taking my time with it because it genuinely is a marvel of world building and character design
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2024, 03:13 PM   #8
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I bought Elden Ring, played it for maybe 30 minutes, and uninstalled it. I don't think it's the game. It's me. I've played so many games since the start with the original Atari 2600 and Adventure, along with Treasure Island, Adventureland, and Poker on a Vic-20, it just grew from there through an Atari 400 and 800, three Amigas, and finally when Doom 2 and C&C came along, I had to get PC. I'm just too lazy and jaded now. I'll watch videos of people playing Elden Ring and think it looks so good, but then just lose interest when I think of playing myself. The last open-world game that really hooked me for hundreds of hours was Fallout 4 I think.. so quite a while ago. Dragon Age Origins was just fantastic, but I hated all the sequels. Not sure if that was another case of me just getting tired of gaming or the games legitimately sucked... or both.

I still buy and try games all the time, trying to find one that will occupy my time. Been playing Satisfactory lately... not necessarily an RPG, but it is open-world.

Oh, I will say Valheim impressed the hell out of me, though. I eventually grew bored with it, but it did keep me going for quite a while. It's a bit too much an action game for my tastes; I'm too lazy nowadays to master the perfect timing for a riposte or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 05:39 PM   #9
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Took me a while, but just completed the prerequisites to start the ER DLC. It's a brave new world
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 06:07 PM   #10
jessejericho
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2024 BSM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL0 View Post
Took me a while, but just completed the prerequisites to start the ER DLC. It's a brave new world
I'm almost there, about 70 hours into a new playthrough with a Faith build. Just got to Mountaintops of the Giants, need a few more levels to get to Mohg.

Confused about the save game thing though, you can use your pre-DLC character in Shadow of the Erdtree. Is there some issue with the PC version?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 06:08 PM   #11
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Subnautica is worth it for open world.

Previous characters should be able to access the Elden Ring DLC, mine did (PC). As long as you have defeated the two required bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
I bought Elden Ring, played it for maybe 30 minutes, and uninstalled it. I don't think it's the game. It's me.
I still buy and try games all the time, trying to find one that will occupy my time. Been playing Satisfactory lately... not necessarily an RPG, but it is open-world.

Dark Souls 3 is modern enough and much more linear than Elden Ring.

Careful, Satisfactory is an unbelievable time sync (over 900 hours here). You'll probably like 'Dyson Sphere Program'.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1431.50
      07-11-2024, 07:28 PM   #12
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejericho View Post
I'm almost there, about 70 hours into a new playthrough with a Faith build. Just got to Mountaintops of the Giants, need a few more levels to get to Mohg.

Confused about the save game thing though, you can use your pre-DLC character in Shadow of the Erdtree. Is there some issue with the PC version?
When I installed the update with the DLC, "continue" was not a choice, I had to start a new game.

I beat Mohg without going to the Mountaintops yet, but I'd farmed a lot and I'm at level 258 LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2024, 11:41 PM   #13
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostynorth View Post
Subnautica is worth it for open world.

Previous characters should be able to access the Elden Ring DLC, mine did (PC). As long as you have defeated the two required bosses.

Dark Souls 3 is modern enough and much more linear than Elden Ring.

Careful, Satisfactory is an unbelievable time sync (over 900 hours here). You'll probably like 'Dyson Sphere Program'.
I actually do have Subnautica, but I got to a point somewhat early in the game where I could not find something and lost interest. I probably should retry it. A lot of times my reception of a game is tied to where I am emotionally at that time, which is generally anhedonic.

I really enjoyed Dark Souls but I ended up using a souls exploit to build up my character. Honestly, I got lazy and just didn't want to "get gud," but I was pretty far along by the time I started doing that (was around the same place as the painting world.. I can't remember what it was called). Never played DS2 or DS3. I just figured I'd suck at them, too. I did play Bloodborne and managed to button mash my way through that, but it was not pretty. Great game, though.

I do have Dyson Sphere, but I just never could get into it. The curvature of the world and controls really bothered me. I can't remember if it was early access, but if they had an option to "flatten" the world, I'd have probably been good with it. The curvature was just too pronounced for me and messed with my head.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 07:15 AM   #14
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep

Yeah, Subnautica can be frustrating when you can't find something, the map mod helps a lot.

Not exactly great at souls games either, just grind my way through. Elden Ring is more difficult than DS3, the DLC is much more difficult.

Yeah, hear you on the round world. I found Dyson less grindy late game, as it's easier to build up new factories for increased production.
Satasfactory 1.0 will be out in early September.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1431.50
      07-12-2024, 08:13 AM   #15
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostynorth View Post
If you like Satisfactory you might like Space Engineers. Instead of building pre-made structures, you have to design it yourself, test it, fix it, etc. You can also build ships to fly to other planets or moons, mine asteroids, etc. It's a steep learning curve, but once you start learning everything it sucks you in.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2024, 08:33 AM   #16
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep

Cool will check it out next sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 09:43 PM   #17
JeffL0
Private
United_States
Rep

Holy hell, took me dozens of times to finally beat the final boss in Shadow of the ErdTree, for me that was much harder than Radagon and the Elden Beast.
Appreciate 0