New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Which one?
(BMW) Toyota Supra 18 11.76%
BMW M4 42 27.45%
Chevrolet C8 93 60.78%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

10-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #89
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

I think that those pointing out the difficulty of switching from BMW to Chevy are saying it in terms of overall build quality and experience, not handling or technical specifications.

I've seen a few in person and I'd have to say that they're 58k for a reason. Not to mention, 80k once you add Z51 and some options that you may as well have when buying a mid-engined pesudo-supercar.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #90
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I don't find any of these options terribly appealing. I like the styling of the supra, but I don't like that it's auto-only and that it's a BMW underneath. The forthcoming M4 is just not a good looking car. I don't know if I could own one---I will have to see one in person, but I'm not hopeful. Then I come to the C8. I've seen about 4 of these at different Cars and Coffee events near me. I can't get into the styling or the auto-only. If I needed a modern corvette in my life, I'd go C7 all day long. Not even a second thought.

If I was limited to this list and had to purchase something in the next 6-8 months? I'd probably go with a poverty spec M4 with manual and whatever optional performance stuff is available. Though I'd be ok with a nearly base car. My e92 has very few options. My old mustang GT had very few options. My mkV GTI that I got back in the day was referred to as a "package 0" car. I don't like a lot of stuff in my performance cars.

If I could get whatever I wanted for say, $80k or less, though? Everything that would come to mind for at least initial consideration (new or used) would be: cayman or 911, C7 grand sport, upcoming Z, Alfa 4C (despite being an "auto"!), nicest Viper I could get into for $80K. I'd do my best to getting some time behind the wheel of all of these and end up with whichever felt the best to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:21 AM   #91
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The M4 is a weird car, even the last gen. It's such a muscle car now, it's basically a Mustang with PP1. So you get a Mustang or pay 25 to 30K more for a better interior, each to his own, but it's a muscle car not a light weight sports variant the way the first few M3s were.

By the time you spend big on a Supra, it; 991.1 C2S price territory ...seriously.

Corvette is massive and looks like a bashed crab.

People wonder why Porsche price like they do, it's because everything else has so many compromises.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #92
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Viper or C7 GS if you want a little bit bigger car.

Alfa 4C or really nice Exige for smaller car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #93
blue135
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Saw three C8s in last week's drive from PHX to FL. C8 all the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #94
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

C8, but if $70K is top of the budget you'll be getting a base model 1LT stripper model with little options if any by the time taxes and license a $60K msrp will be close to $70K OTD

my other choices in that range would be gently used:

R8
981 Cayman GTS
C7 Z06

the Supra is growing on me, but it still lacks in the looks dept imo
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #95
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
I'm a hard top convertible lover and have a 2020 440i convertible already but I've been obsessed with the C8 since I saw my first one. Although Chevy has restarted manufacturing properly they are way behind and having production issues leading to several recalls. One of the recalls has been for valve springs that are blowing engines. To add to these first year issues, the dealers have recognized the unprecedented demand for these cars and are adding massive premiums. I've seen several screenshots of +$50k as markups, which for me put it hopelessly out of my budget. My plan is enjoy the 440i for a few years, and rehash the C8 in 2022. I figure by then the pandemic will be in the rear view, manufacturing issues will be ironed out, and dealerships will lay off the crack pipes.

Sooooo to answer your question - C8 is amazing, the Supra, is pretty cool, but the cup holders ruin the interior for me, and the new 4 (3 will be similar) just didn't do it for me when I saw them at the dealer. It's a stunning car, but it doesn't have what the Supra or the Vette have.
Appreciate 1
kb2wji184.50
      11-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #96
Son of Achilles
Kill the Manuals
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW 440i

Ditch them all and buy a Yugo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #97
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The M4 is a weird car, even the last gen. It's such a muscle car now, it's basically a Mustang with PP1. So you get a Mustang or pay 25 to 30K more for a better interior, each to his own, but it's a muscle car not a light weight sports variant the way the first few M3s were.

By the time you spend big on a Supra, it; 991.1 C2S price territory ...seriously.

Corvette is massive and looks like a bashed crab.

People wonder why Porsche price like they do, it's because everything else has so many compromises.
The problem with Mustangs is that the most expensive Mustang had the same abysmal build quality of a base Mustang. The Flat Rock facility is one of the worst in the world when it comes to panel fitment as it's been an issue for decades. It's not only a big step down from a BMW but even from a Hyundai. I have owned a few Mustangs and enjoyed them but you will have to accept stuff like sagging bumper covers, misaligned doors, hood, quarter panel, etc and avoid the MT82 at all costs if possible.
Appreciate 0