E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Almost there, last minute advice

12-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Almost there, last minute advice

Hi All,
my car is due within the next few weeks, can anyone give me any final tips on the pickup. Should I ask the dealer to check tire pressure, what do I need to bring with me (proof of insurance etc)? At that point I will sign for the lease, what is the general procedure? I seem to remember a previous post about not leaving without a lease coupon book, can someone clue me in on that. Will the dealer require bank draft for "due on signing" amount, or will he take check/credit card?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
The dealer will check the tire pressure before delivery.

In most cases you have 72 hours to find insurance for the vehicle. If you are leasing they will tell you the minimum insurance requirements. Bring your current insurance card.

Bring your check book and non expired driver’s license.

Congratulations
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Why not give your dealer a call and ask him what you need. FYI, I have Assist, and it wasn't set up at all. When I got my car, I had no idea what Assist was, other than if I'm in trouble, to hit the button. Once I learned of its features, I discovered that the setup procedure hadn't been initiated. If I were doing it again, I'd have written down all my options and made sure they went over them with me while I was there to ensure they were working OK.
      12-17-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
diesel007's advice is good. Just call the dealer and ask them what they recommend you have with you. Also ask them questions that you have (like the tire pressure, etc.).

I am amazed to read the vast differences between dealerships and the way the prep and deliver the cars. There was even one poster a while back that didn't get an owner's manual with his car!

I'm lucky and have a great dealership and the best CA in all of BMW world, so I haven't had those problems. But I find that often we get what we tolerate, for whatever that's worth.

Good luck and congratulations on your car... don't be too worried about things and enjoy the experience. There are always many helpful folks here to assist with questions you may have after you get it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
Helmar
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, Barrique red

Cool No dealer badge!

My 330xi is on order.

I've instructed the dealer to NOT afix any dealer badging to the car.

Some is innocuous (like a license plate frame with the dealers name on it) which can be removed, but some dealers afix a decal to the car, or even worse might drill hol es to afix a dealer badge.

Make sure you notify the dealer IN WRITING before the vehicle arrives.

HBH
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Test drive it before you sign anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
but some dealers afix a decal to the car, or even worse might drill holes to afix a dealer badge.
Ouch! That'd really SUCK! I've seen dealer decals and badges before, but not in California.
      12-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

When I went to pick my car (which is a lease) up all I had to bring is a personal check for the rest of the first months payment. They will usually take a personal check for small amount (under say $1000). As for the insurance, I just gave them my insurance agents number and they got all of that setup for me. In NY at least, the dealer will not release a car to the owner without proof that it is insured.

They did however put one of the "dealer stickers" on the car, but it came off easy enough.

But, like everyone has said, your results my vary. I would just call your CA and find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

by the way, it's generally the business manager you should talk to -- they are the ones who get all of the paperwork together and set requirements like payment requirements. Don't assume that your dealer will have the same practices as other dealers.

the thing that's needed to begin work is the car's VIN number -- about a week or two before the car arrives, the dealer will have it and then you can get insurance straightened out.

in my case, the dealer called my insurance company to make the switch from the old car and then the insurance co. called me to confirm. the proof of insurance was faxed to the dealer. (new cards were also mailed to my house by the insurance co).
      12-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #10
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmar
My 330xi is on order.

I've instructed the dealer to NOT afix any dealer badging to the car.

Some is innocuous (like a license plate frame with the dealers name on it) which can be removed, but some dealers afix a decal to the car, or even worse might drill hol es to afix a dealer badge.

Make sure you notify the dealer IN WRITING before the vehicle arrives.

HBH

I didnt do it in wiriting, but had it in an email. I hate the dealer stickers/badges. Then again, I'm rockin the BMW of Towson plastic chrome license plate cover. Its pimp

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Mine was easy, it was ready to pick up. I had mats in my car, which on the last one, I seen my car without them. I used my credit card, which was easy, thats about it for me. But each one is different, good luck, keep us posted!

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #12
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

Definately, definately, definately take delivery during the day-time, and especially not during a rainy day. You want to look that car over in broad daylight very closely and bring anything that doesn't look right to the sales person's attention. Also inspect the car under man made light (like in the garage). This can also reveal problems with the clear coat and paint not visible under the sun. Test drive the car, and make sure all your options and everything works on the car BEFORE signing ANYTHING. Check out as many gizmos/options/buttons as you can. If ANYTHING'S not to your liking, make them make it right.

Once you take delivery, and they have your money, your leverage to get anything else done is greatly dimished. If they owe you anything, get it in writing before handing over the money.

Not trying to sound paranoid, but there's nothing wrong with your money, so there shouldnt be anything wrong with the car. Business is business. CONGRATULATIONS!
Appreciate 0