E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > stock 325 e90 drifting.

10-31-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 bmw 325i

stock 325 e90 drifting.

can anyone give me an idea of how drifting works in an auto tranny?? not that im ever gonna attemp this stunt myself..i was watching some clips on streetFir*.com and got curious ... what type of damage can this do to a stock e90 325i with B-stone run flats?? are sports package models more capable in drifting?? perhaps zhp?? what about drifting in four wheel drive cars?? hows is that like??
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

ass
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
nyyankee
The Ultimate Posting Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The closest that i have ever gotten to drifting is when i had a 2001 vw passat loner, i just took it to a decent rate of speed on a straight (somewhat deserted) road, and then pulled th e-brake wile turning the wheel. It was very scarry but lots of fun. I don't think that that is concitered drifting, because it was a front wheel drive car.

I would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS do this sort of thing in my bmw. I'll wait till i have to go in for mantence, hopefully getting an e90 loner and then

DISCLAIMER: Poster makes no guarantee that the above expressed information is accurate, complete, current, funny, new, spelled correctly, or grammatically correct. The above-stated information is instead provided on an "AS IS" basis, and is subject to revision with or without notice.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

[QUOTE=jamesna120 not that im ever gonna attemp this stunt myself..[/QUOTE]
good
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
haha bmws suck for drifting, so do all wheel drive cars (unless you're rallying). bimmers are meant to stick to the road not skid around them. Although drifing is a lot of fun in a controlled environment and if you know what you're doing. .. . i think you'd want a nissan.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesna120
can anyone give me an idea of how drifting works in an auto tranny?? not that im ever gonna attemp this stunt myself..i was watching some clips on streetFir*.com and got curious ... what type of damage can this do to a stock e90 325i with B-stone run flats?? are sports package models more capable in drifting?? perhaps zhp?? what about drifting in four wheel drive cars?? hows is that like??
It's too hard to do with an auto -- you need to drop the clutch to break traction.

The only sane way to do this, especially for you, is to wait for an empty parking lot to freeze over, turn the wheel all the way to the left, floor it, skate around, keep it in first, spin, spin, spin. This is how I won my wife!

Remember!! Deserted, empty, frozen parking lot!! Drive north.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2005, 11:20 PM   #7
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by db17k
haha bmws suck for drifting, so do all wheel drive cars (unless you're rallying). bimmers are meant to stick to the road not skid around them. Although drifing is a lot of fun in a controlled environment and if you know what you're doing. .. . i think you'd want a nissan.
I agree with this. I never tried it on dry pavement but I turned off the DSC/DTC one wet day in an industrial area and goosed it in second and let the back end slide out a on a corner. It was pretty wild and I thought the car was actually going to change ends when suddenly it grabbed the road with a snap that scared the bejesus out of me and nearly had me ploughing my baby into a curb.

So yeah, I'm going to save the drifting exercises for BMW Driver Training or at least for when I'm a little more familliar with the car and the RWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 03:44 AM   #8
Dnz
Rep
Drives: '94 325i w/M-Tech

Omg you guys need bimmerforums bad.

Youre not going to drift an auto.

1. Youve got an open differential. It cant.
2. Your transmission and diff will get screwed trying
3. Your transmission would bneed to hold a specific fear to maintain it.

Seriously, there is no point. And the last thing you want to do is pull your handbrake at high speeds. Dont come whining when you need a fresh car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 04:26 AM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnz
Omg you guys need bimmerforums bad.

Youre not going to drift an auto.

1. Youve got an open differential. It cant.
2. Your transmission and diff will get screwed trying
3. Your transmission would bneed to hold a specific fear to maintain it.

Seriously, there is no point. And the last thing you want to do is pull your handbrake at high speeds. Dont come whining when you need a fresh car.
I just had a driftday with my 6Man 330i and it's great, but not as 'easy' as my former M3 E46(lsd)

An auto box will do the same(hence 320d E90 auto which was going totally sideways and controllable too just like mine)

So
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #10
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep

i like to thank everybody for the kindly info to what might of have been a dumb thing to ask in the first place. but lets not forget i said i was never gonna attemp this stunt myself rather it was purly out of curiosity... WARD with 840 some odd posts you have achieved i didn't expect to heard that kind of non sense from you.. its time to grow up... that wasn't vey nice nor informative. just a waste of space and i didn't exactly understand where you were coming from.. but for sure he can kiss it.

Last edited by jamesna120; 11-01-2005 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Hey, I just said it and everyone else told you why.

chill.................................
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
Hey, I just said it and everyone else told you why.

chill.................................

but it's not the truth

An E90 auto is pretty good driftable on the wet and even on rougher/ drier surfaces as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #13
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

WET SURFACE

jamesna, put the car in the 2nd or 3rd step of the steptronic and before you enter the bend steer in abruptly(or even apply the brakes for a nanosecond), the car should be floating now in a almost slight oversteerde 4wheel drift. Apply the throttle abit whilst countersteering (the hardest part, less countersteer is better than more because of steering back TOO MUCH ending up in a slapper!, I cannot explain unless you practice yourself) a bit or more whilst looking at THE POINT YOU WANT TO GO. The car is in the drift now. apply throttle or steer in this situation to keep the car there, the inside wheel should be spinning a bit(no limited slip diff) and keep the momentum with the steering + throttle.

Now the WORST PART. Steer back nicely and slowly after you feel(important!) the car is coming back to 12 o clock, NOT TOO MUCH, or else you get a 'tankslapper'(tailhappiness)

While the car reachesa 12 o clock the steering wheel should be back in the normal position. But this is only practicing practicing practicing(closed area is best)

But stay safe!

Me in my former M3 with limited slip diff:
http://www.gummen.org/images/album/0304lely15.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #14
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep

hey robin hood.. im not trying to be funny or anything.. but you make it sound too much like sex but i like it...he he .. also did i mention... good looking out~

Last edited by jamesna120; 11-01-2005 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #15
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesna120
i like to thank everybody for the kindly info to what might of have been a dumb thing to ask in the first place. but lets not forget i said i was never gonna attemp this stunt myself rather it was purly out of curiosity... WARD with 840 some odd posts you have achieved i didn't expect to heard that kind of non sense from you.. its time to grow up... that wasn't vey nice nor informative. just a waste of space and i didn't exactly understand where you were coming from.. but for sure he can kiss it.
Don't tkae Ward's comments personally. He's like our Oscar the Grouch.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #16
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep

non taken... i wouldn't want to mess with the Lieutenant.. im just a member as you can see.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #17
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Too all that say you canīt drift with an open diff and auto:
Untrue.
Both just make it harder and with an open diff you canīt do any long sustained power drifts. But bringing the rear end out is easy on any rear drive car.

Basically you just need to go around a corner (make it a slow one with lotīs of space to manuevre) at the limit (DSC fully off). When youīre pulling maximum sideway gīs at about mid corner give it a sudden surge of power (if you have an auto hold it in the lowest gear manually for maximum torque at the wheel) to break the traction and whoooo of you go. Countersteer as to not spin and watch out for when the rear tires grip again. When the grip again you need to immediately take out the coutersteer or youīll be swinging to the other side and crash into the outside curb.

I have 4 90deg curves on my way to work where, whenever the street is wet (often) and thereīs no traffic (not so often), I let the back end out. This worked on my 99 328Ci Auto, my 02 330CI SMG and on my 06 330i MT.

Btw. There are several different techniques to make a car drift. Power oversteer is only one of them (the easiest by far, next to the handbrake). Even FWD and AWD cars can be made to drift (without the handbrake).
But power oversteer is probably the only one you can learn easily. The others are only learnable with lotīs of rubber, space, practice and a designated car.
      06-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
affara
Registered
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by db17k View Post
I think you're a Honda lover
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Although I haven't tried to drift my car, I notice the car wanting to drift when I am approaching a sharp turn at a high rate of speed. So if I am going 50 mph in fourth gear (step) and approaching a 90 degree turn, I'll tap the paddles twice, drop it into 2nd as I turn in, and you can feel the back end wanting to break loose. So you can definitely drift with a steptronic. Now whether the drift will look like a Tiff Needell drift, that all depends on your skill level.
Appreciate 0