New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #639
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Spinal compression. Have a broken vertebra from doing them rather aggressively when younger. That's my theory anyways. Also have one on my neck from being an idiot.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 04-07-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #640
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
My new Adidas leistung shoes are the truth. So solid, did 315 for 8 pr, 365 for 3 pr, 22 reps over 315 pr, and finished with 20 reps at 225.

Also have a damn hernia, shit.

Holy crap man! Are you going to go get it checked out later?

Not trying to scare you, but we had a guy at the gym with one who said he didn't know he had it.

He was doing leg presses and it gave him a bigger issue resulting in a more complicated procedure to get it fixed.

Also and you probably already do this, but make sure you're breathing out on the concentric part of your rep to displace the internal pressure.

Most people are taught to use a Valsalva method of breathing, but using that increases
intrathoracic pressure which isn't good if you suspect or know you have a hernia.

Not trying to preach and you probably know all this anyway being an experienced lifter, but I want you to be safe and not aggrevate anything!
      04-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #641
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah thanks will need to have it looked at sooner or later. Will try and work on breathing also good tip.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #642
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Decent Squat day today. 5x5 up to 385. Then some Barbell walking lunges 40ft, 4 sets up to 225.

Used new knee sleeves which I did not like, to tight cutting of circulation. My feet actually got tingly...no bueno.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #643
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I've never done barbell walking lunges. I have crap balance doing them even dumbells I stumble around like a drunk moron.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #644
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've never done barbell walking lunges. I have crap balance doing them even dumbells I stumble around like a drunk moron.
Lol....at least you know your limits

Lunging is my second favorite to Squatting. I can definitely attribute my increase in strength with DLs and Squats to lunging. I will usually go to a nearby track after the gym once a week and do a full lap of walking body weight lunges, oh the burn!

I’ll also toss in overhead walking lunges with the Barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell. One of the best core-stabilization movements you can do!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #645
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I should just do non weighted at the end of my workout. I do a long step variety getting hip and glute and a shallower short step for all quad when I do use them. Overhead screw that I tried overhead squat once about paralyzed, my body dont bend that way. Shoulders cant do that back is contorted.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #646
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
I should just do non weighted at the end of my workout. I do a long step variety getting hip and glute and a shallower short step for all quad when I do use them.
Absolutely you should! It’s a great finisher, even just body weight. You will be amazed by the results!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #647
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Lol....at least you know your limits

Lunging is my second favorite to Squatting. I can definitely attribute my increase in strength with DLs and Squats to lunging. I will usually go to a nearby track after the gym once a week and do a full lap of walking body weight lunges, oh the burn!

I’ll also toss in overhead walking lunges with the Barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell. One of the best core-stabilization movements you can do!
You ever follow Cory Gregory’s programming? With his daily 400-800m lunge marathons? I followed one of his “squat everyday” programs that was coupled with that huge volume of lunges and I put 70 lb on my BS in two months.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #648
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Decent Squat day today. 5x5 up to 385. Then some Barbell walking lunges 40ft, 4 sets up to 225.

Used new knee sleeves which I did not like, to tight cutting of circulation. My feet actually got tingly...no bueno.
I love walking lunges! Took me forever to find my balance with doing it. I used just 135 forever to I got the mechanics of it down. The cool thing is that we have these short pre-loaded EZ-Curl bars that go up to 150lbs.

So I could throw it up, and walk through the gym without worrying about accidently banging into someone or a machine as they fit me perfectly.

Honestly I have tried with an Olympic bb, but you really have to go outside to do them and not get in anyone's way, but the you have the liability of someone saying you hit their car. So I stay with the 150, and just do them at the end.

Also, I will say that I am really enjoying the Hack Squat recently. I used to avoid them up until about 2 years ago, but it seems that I found my groove and I can really feel and isolate the muscle with them.

We have a Sissy Squat set-up right beside it, and I will do that and superset with the hack squats. It really pumps your legs up. Of course all this is done after my 1st tier exercise which is programmed for back squats.

I have never found a knee sleeve that fits me just right. Recently been using RockTape sleeves....but sleeves have always felt awkward for me. I guess it's because I waited so long before trying to use them. I want to be safe as I get older, so I guess the hunt continues.

Also using Venom elbow sleeves while letting my left elbow get sorted out. These are on the verge of being just a little too tight. I'm using the XXL.....and I have emailed them and told them if they made a 3XL...it would be perfect and they would see more business as other than the size, they are great.

And it isn't like my arms are huge or anything...as I'm usually at about 17.0" - 17.5" cold and flexed at my current bodyweight.
      04-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #649
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Have you seen how Tom platz advocates using the hack? Watch a video it looks like knee destruction perfectly designed. He puts his feet all the way at bottom of platform then goes down and thrusts his hips forward until he is way on his tippy toes and knees jutted out with ass touching heels. Looks like custom designed to cause tendon rupture.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #650
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
You ever follow Cory Gregory’s programming? With his daily 400-800m lunge marathons? I followed one of his “squat everyday” programs that was coupled with that huge volume of lunges and I put 70 lb on my BS in two months.
Yep, that’s exactly where I got it from. I did his Squat Everyday program for about 4months. Had an injured wrist at the time, and focused on Squats n DLs. I did some form of squat everyday unless it was a rest day. Had to stop after 4months as I developed some knee and hip pain from the ridiculous amount of volume/poundage. I still do the lunging tho! I got some great gains as well.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #651
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I love walking lunges! Took me forever to find my balance with doing it. I used just 135 forever to I got the mechanics of it down. The cool thing is that we have these short pre-loaded EZ-Curl bars that go up to 150lbs.

So I could throw it up, and walk through the gym without worrying about accidently banging into someone or a machine as they fit me perfectly.

Honestly I have tried with an Olympic bb, but you really have to go outside to do them and not get in anyone's way, but the you have the liability of someone saying you hit their car. So I stay with the 150, and just do them at the end.

Also, I will say that I am really enjoying the Hack Squat recently. I used to avoid them up until about 2 years ago, but it seems that I found my groove and I can really feel and isolate the muscle with them.

We have a Sissy Squat set-up right beside it, and I will do that and superset with the hack squats. It really pumps your legs up. Of course all this is done after my 1st tier exercise which is programmed for back squats.

I have never found a knee sleeve that fits me just right. Recently been using RockTape sleeves....but sleeves have always felt awkward for me. I guess it's because I waited so long before trying to use them. I want to be safe as I get older, so I guess the hunt continues.

Also using Venom elbow sleeves while letting my left elbow get sorted out. These are on the verge of being just a little too tight. I'm using the XXL.....and I have emailed them and told them if they made a 3XL...it would be perfect and they would see more business as other than the size, they are great.

And it isn't like my arms are huge or anything...as I'm usually at about 17.0" - 17.5" cold and flexed at my current bodyweight.
My gym has a large open area with turf, racks close by to get under the heavy weight and walk it out. Perfect set up for this movement. It definitely takes a bit to get used to using the BB especially loaded up with weight.

I also have the RockTape sleeves (5mm Assassins). Love those as my utility multipurpose sleeve. But I use a thicker sleeve for squatting. I had Mark Bell Original STrong sleeves 7mm. Loved them! But blew them out after a few years.

His new ones just aren’t the same, not even close. They changed the manufacturing and cut some corners to save money. The most recent fail was a 3ply sleeve from Iron Tanks. Good product but waaaay to tight. A seamless sleeve very similar to a knee wrap. I may size up on those. But honestly I will prob just spring for SBDs, best heavy lifting sleeve on the market.

Anyone else got knee sleeve stories?
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #652
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you seen how Tom platz advocates using the hack? Watch a video it looks like knee destruction perfectly designed. He puts his feet all the way at bottom of platform then goes down and thrusts his hips forward until he is way on his tippy toes and knees jutted out with ass touching heels. Looks like custom designed to cause tendon rupture.

That guy is a freak when it comes to legs. But anything he does just makes me cringe watching it.

I'm up near the top of the platform, and keep myself planted against the pad. I try to keep my hips from coming forward...and he is doing it on purpose!

The last video I seen of him he was putting Sergio Olivia Jr. through a leg workout.
      04-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #653
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah he damn crazy. Says he has strong knees, no shit nobody even try that route.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #654
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So here is a quick pic of where I'm sitting in regards to legs. Definitely not Platz development, but I think they are proportional to the rest of me.

Oh yeah.... did I mention I was starting to get smooth.....or was that in another thread? Still can't start a diet until after my daughter's wedding.....and I'm sitting around 204lbs. Yeah...I know....I'm short.

Plus when I gain weight....most of it goes to my lower body.
Attached Images

04-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #655
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also we have this guy who goes to our gym that is a dentist. Never seen him squat more than 2 plates for sets the whole time I have known him.

When he pulls his shorts up, his quads are so huge that they literally lay off the top of his legs. Looks like someone took a loaf of huge bread and stuck them under the skin of his outer quad. Massive hamstrings as well.

Perfect genetics at work!
      04-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #656
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Thats not normal for an Asian.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #657
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats not normal for an Asian.
Lol. He's American, and has some of the best natural genetics I've ever seen!
      04-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #658
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Oh read dentist just assumed
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #659
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh read dentist just assumed
Haaaa, never assume. Is that a preferred profession for Asians? My dentist is an older Caucasian female.

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 04-09-2019 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #660
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah pharmacists, dr., also. But I was just being a dork.
Appreciate 0