New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #551
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
We all wore a sleeve. It still hurts sometimes. I’m not the handler. I think he was gone for three months for training. The dog was already trained. The dog will go after whoever the handler tells him to go after. I had a dog way early in my career. I’m too old now. I don’t want to do it anymore.

I play with this dog 3-4 days a week, the dog plays with my pet Husky and my daughter (I take the dog when the handler goes on vacation, saves on boarding costs) but the second he gave the command to get me, the dog got me.
I don't understand - isn't this your dog? Or are you saying that he's still in training, and you'll get him back later?

If so, how long is the training? You said you thought about three months above - I'm guessing that is to date - how much longer till he's done and back?

Are you pleased so far? Was it fairly costly? As you can tell, I've been intrigued by this for a while. Have been thinking a little bit about it in case we get a Shepherd for the next dog, but that is hopefully still another 5 years or so (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #552
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

I think it's one of his fellow officers' canine
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #553
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
The past month or so Oscar has started pissing in the corner of my half bath on the first floor. It was very infrequent at first but now has become more of a regular occurrence. I have no idea why. His litter box is upstairs, and he is beyond well trained. His litter box is cleaned daily and is always accessible. We've been in the house 14 months now so it's not an adjustment thing. No other animals have ever been in the house so it's not a marking his territory thing. One wall of the bathroom is an exterior wall, I was thinking maybe he smelled a raccoon or a neighborhood cat outside but the corner he prefers is not the exterior wall. I don't get it. I started cleaning it with tilex thinking the smell would deter him but he did it again this morning. Are there any kind of repellent sprays I can use? Not happy
      06-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #554
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
The past month or so Oscar has started pissing in the corner of my half bath on the first floor. It was very infrequent at first but now has become more of a regular occurrence. I have no idea why. His litter box is upstairs, and he is beyond well trained. His litter box is cleaned daily and is always accessible. We've been in the house 14 months now so it's not an adjustment thing. No other animals have ever been in the house so it's not a marking his territory thing. One wall of the bathroom is an exterior wall, I was thinking maybe he smelled a raccoon or a neighborhood cat outside but the corner he prefers is not the exterior wall. I don't get it. I started cleaning it with tilex thinking the smell would deter him but he did it again this morning. Are there any kind of repellent sprays I can use? Not happy
I have an idea as to why he is doing it. It is because he is a cat.

I'm guessing that gives you an idea of how much I like cats. Funny thing is, I'll pet them if they are there at another person's house, and I appreciate the presence of a pet, but would never ever get one. I just don't see them being good company or excited like a dog.

What if you were to don a pair of dish gloves so you don't get his hair on you and grab him and rub his face in the urine next time he does that? Pretty sure he wouldn't like that very much and might get the drift that if he does that, he gets it on him.

Probably a bunch of people calling PETA on me right now, but I don't care.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #555
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

I'm guessing that gives you an idea of how much I like cats. Funny thing is, I'll pet them if they are there at another person's house, and I appreciate the presence of a pet, but would never ever get one. I just don't see them being good company or excited like a dog.

What if you were to don a pair of dish gloves so you don't get his hair on you and grab him and rub his face in the urine next time he does that? Pretty sure he wouldn't like that very much and might get the drift that if he does that, he gets it on him.

As you know, I'm not a cat fan either but he was part of the package. After living alone for 15 years, I now have my man, his 22 year old son and a freakin cat.....

I get what you're saying but all of a sudden? He never did it before.
      06-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #556
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
As you know, I'm not a cat fan either but he was part of the package. After living alone for 15 years, I now have my man, his 22 year old son and a freakin cat.....

I get what you're saying but all of a sudden? He never did it before.
I just recently dealt with this myself. It could be several things. Has anything changed in the home that would be considered a change in living conditions? It could also be an issue with his urinary tract. Is he licking his tackle a bit more than normal? He could be experiencing painful urination. If this is the case he will not use his litter box as they will associate the painful urination with going to the litter box and avoid using it. He may also not be able to make it to the litter box in time.

I gave Hamilton a week before I was going to call the vet and have him checked out. He is an indoor/outdoor cat so I started letting him spend more time outside so he could go wherever. It took care of itself in a few days.

Quote:

Do not rub his face in it. He isn't doing it to be an ass, there is a reason why aside from just being a cat. Rubbing his face in it will only confuse and frustrate him. Imagine an elderly person with incontinence and then having their face rubbed in it because they can't get to the bathroom in time.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15581.00
      06-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #557
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

Is there anything different recently such as a change in cat litter or litter box moved? I know cats can be very picky. We switched brands of litter one time, and found ours using the upstairs bathroom sink.

Cleaned and bleached the sink, then swapped back over to the usual brand of litter and things went back to normal.

But like Rudi mentioned, there is usually a reason for it. If it continues, I think a trip to the vet even just to rule out a UTI wouldn't hurt.

But I have also seen cats just get "bored" with their litterbox...and changing the box for a different style worked.
      06-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #558
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I just recently dealt with this myself. It could be several things. Has anything changed in the home that would be considered a change in living conditions? It could also be an issue with his urinary tract. Is he licking his tackle a bit more than normal? He could be experiencing painful urination. If this is the case he will not use his litter box as they will associate the painful urination with going to the litter box and avoid using it. He may also not be able to make it to the litter box in time.
Living conditions have not changed. He's always licking himself. He was just at the vet over the weekend for blood work. Don't have results yet. They think he has a thyroid issue, don't remember if it was over or under active. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Is there anything different recently such as a change in cat litter or litter box moved? I know cats can be very picky. We switched brands of litter one time, and found ours using the upstairs bathroom sink.

Cleaned and bleached the sink, then swapped back over to the usual brand of litter and things went back to normal.

But like Rudi mentioned, there is usually a reason for it. If it continues, I think a trip to the vet even just to rule out a UTI wouldn't hurt.

But I have also seen cats just get "bored" with their litterbox...and changing the box for a different style worked.
I don't think the he changed litter brand and the litter box wasn't moved. I will ask if he changed anything. Thanks!
      06-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #559
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
He's always licking himself.
Can you blame him?

Quote:
He was just at the vet over the weekend for blood work. Don't have results yet. They think he has a thyroid issue, don't remember if it was over or under active. Maybe that has something to do with it?
It is possible I suppose but I wouldn't think so. I'm only a cat whisperer not an MD.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #560
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Can you blame him?

It is possible I suppose but I wouldn't think so. I'm only a cat whisperer not an MD.
This just randomly occurred to me as I read MD. If MD stands for medical doctor, do you think veterinary doctors say they got VD?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      06-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #561
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This just randomly occurred to me as I read MD. If MD stands for medical doctor, do you think veterinary doctors say they got VD?
That's hilarious!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:07 PM   #562
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
All good ideas above..

Couple of other things:
Declawed?
Age?

Does the cat just miss the box (typical of older male cats (and humans)) or not using the box at all or just nearby, or somewhere completely new?
Never use only a cleaner to try to cover up the smell. Use a bio-enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle that "eats" up the pee molecules. You have to leave it wet for quite some time to let it work.

Hyperthyroid (over) is a very common cause of litterbox problems. Being hyperthyroid is easily treated with medication or "RadioCat" where they give the thyroid a dose of radiation (they only glow for a short while .
Hyperthyroid can cover up kidney problems because is speeds up the heart rate, so treating the thyroid may cause previously unidentified kidney issues to show up, so make sure they run a SDMA kidney test as well.

Sounds medical not behavioral, which is a good thing. Really, really hard to stop a cat from marking, since it's such a positive thing for a cat to do (Wow, this smells just like me, how cool is that..)
He has his rear claws, not front. He isn't missing the litter box, it's in a different bathroom. He just seems drawn to this spot. He is on the old side, I'm thinking 16, maybe older.

The vet did say his heartbeat was fast.

Thanks so much, I'll have to look into that Natures Miracle
      06-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #563
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
You crack me up!
      06-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #564
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

IF you get the right enzymatic cleaner, can do double duty for spilt milk in the x6
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #565
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
IF you get the right enzymatic cleaner, can do double duty for spilt milk in the x6
Rule number 3 - no eating or drinking in the X6.
      06-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #566
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Transporting said foodstuffs? I've never dropped milk I was consuming, but the leaking one, or that time I had to stop rapidly and the gallon jug decided it had enough and lept to the back of the seat, bounced onto the floor, and proceeded to leak out all over the floorboards
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #567
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I deleted my comment...I'm maybe wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #568
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Might be me, but I'm not sure Wede meant "milk" as you meant it. Then again, I've often been told by my wife that I need to get my head out of the gutter and take things at face value.

Maybe I'm wrong and he really did mean milk that you purchase at a grocery store IN A CARTON. Maybe.
FTFY
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:23 PM   #569
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
FTFY
In bags, not cartons. Animal.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #570
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I deleted my comment...I'm maybe wrong.
DAMN! I leave my office for one minute and I miss everything
      06-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #571
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Have you tried just putting another box there?
At 16 you're lucky he uses a litter box We had one cat that thought the Wok was a great place to go
I suspect you're going to have some difficult decisions to make shortly...
+1.

We have two. One who is 17+...we aren't quite sure how old, and the other who is about 4-5.

But with just the one, we kept a box upstairs and one downstairs. If you don't thoroughly keep it clean...they will go looking for other areas!
      06-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #572
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

Quote:
We had one cat that thought the Wok was a great place to go

cats
Appreciate 0