New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #243
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Hikvision, Nest - audio recording

With Nest, keep in mind that there is no onsite DVR capability. If you want any recording capability, you have to create a on-going subscription with Nest to the tune of ~ $5/mo for each camera. This also forces you to provide a copy of the recorded data to Nest. I am comfortable with doing this for data collected outside my home. I would not do this for data collected inside my home.

If you plan to do any audio recording, make sure you check you local laws. Some states require two/all person consent to record audio.

A good combination may be one Nest with 5-day remote storage combined with an onsite DVR connected to multiple non-Nest cameras. This gives you remote monitoring/notification capability using the Nest app (via the single camera) and full coverage using the other (DVR-connected) cameras.

Check out Hikvision for a broad range of cameras depending on required resolution and capability. Some of their DVRs also allow you to view any camera stream on their app when the DVR and the device running the app are on the same LAN. I believe this can also be expanded to allow you to view any camera stream if the device running the app can connect to the DVR remotely (non-LAN).

Last edited by bayarea328xit; 08-14-2019 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: corrections
Appreciate 1
MPBK449.00
      08-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #244
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

I use the "Ring" door camera and one in the backyard. Very happy with resolution, Ring support, set up and Apps.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #245
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Just went through this after having my cars broken into over the course of one evening. I went with a Network video recorder system that has power over ethernet cameras aka POE. POE is great you only need to run one network cable for power and data. Whatever you go with make sure the cameras are POE.

I went with a Reolink system. Very easy to put together and accessible anywhere via the mobile app that is available for ios and android.

Link: (check em out lots of solutions) https://reolink.com/ (also prime on amazon so you can easily return if you don't like the system)

They have decent cameras one is even 4k and has good detail I used that pointing to the street since my driveway is very long. All the extra pixels go a long way.

This is the mobile app:
Name:  Image-1.jpg
Views: 4129
Size:  74.1 KB
      08-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #246
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Just went through this after having my cars broken into over the course of one evening. I went with a Network video recorder system that has power over ethernet cameras aka POE. POE is great you only need to run one network cable for power and data. Whatever you go with make sure the cameras are POE.

I went with a Reolink system. Very easy to put together and accessible anywhere via the mobile app that is available for ios and android.

Link: (check em out lots of solutions) https://reolink.com/ (also prime on amazon so you can easily return if you don't like the system)

They have decent cameras one is even 4k and has good detail I used that pointing to the street since my driveway is very long. All the extra pixels go a long way.

This is the mobile app:
Attachment 2120847
Oh i also bough a ring doorbell for front door as pulling ethernet there was logistical nightmare.
      08-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #247
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

I have Nest Doorbell. Works pretty good but you should get the $5 a month cloud plan to get the most out of it. Also brought a wyze cam for $19.99 that has 14 days free cloud storage for notification recordings only and continuous recording on an SD card.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #248
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Blink XT cameras by Amazon. Motion triggered, battery powered, recording to the cloud included for free (I think up to 7 days of recordings free).

I bought a set of 3 for the house and now bought another 3 we setup in the RV when we have it parked somewhere. You can dial in the motion sensitivity and areas pretty well so they are not constantly triggered for nonsense.

Biggest downside is they obviously don't work when there is no internet and you have to change batteries, although mine are still full after like 3 months. Will obviously depend on how often they get triggered though.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #249
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

OP: if you don't end up going with a Ring, Nest, etc. type solution, I'd go with standalone IP cams and a dedicated NVR.

The latest/greatest is the 24/7 Color offering from LTS:
http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/4-mp-fu...rk-camera.html

Attached you'll find a screenshot I took of one I have up at a car lot in the Northeast. In this pic, there are (3) traditional 4MP IR mini dome cams and (1) of the 24/7 Color turret cams I mentioned above. This shot was taken at 3 AM after a rainstorm...yeah, it's that good.

Cost is ~40% more than a traditional 4MP turret, but the results speak for themselves.

Either way, go LTS for cams for sure. They are a US based company and if you buy direct from them, you won't have to worry about receiving a hacked/bricked Hikvision or Dahua from other random vendors on Amazon or eBay. I'd also go with turrets over dome cams for a number of reasons (ease of install, much less chance of water penetration, no IR bounce back, etc.).

If you have a spare Windows machine kicking around, no need to buy an NVR either; just load this free VMS software onto it and you'll be in great shape:
https://www.luxriot.com/product/ip-c...e/luxriot-evo/
Attached Images

Last edited by FCobra94; 08-14-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #250
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm pretty much stuck with the BNC/power options
No worries there...just replace the existing cams with HD-TVI equipment:
http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/hd-tvi-...me-turret.html

Tons of high MP cams out there that will operate just fine on that existing infrastructure and they're CHEAP!!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #251
acr1271
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30

Yi technology

https://www.yitechnology.com

They sell both outdoor and indoor wifi connected cameras at very reasonable prices. Camera resolution 1080p with motion capture, etc. Added benefit is that the cameras have a slot for a max 32G Micro SD card so you can self monitor. App is very user friendly - can easily review motion capture footage and download motion capture video to your phone. They have options for cloud storage, but I've found it to be very slow. I've built a system comprised of 4 outdoor cameras and one indoor camera which I enable when we leave on trips. Very satisfied with the purchase.

Nest is top quality for sure, but the cost of cloud storage adds up quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:44 PM   #252
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If you were going to do wired/POE what is the recommendation for set up if money is no problem. Requirements being the highest resolution and night visibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #253
m630
Major
Rep

Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
...thats my exact use case. 8 X 8.5MP IP/POE cams from Lorex, using two types of turrets. Then an NVR with 8TB using a RAID array of 2TB / 6TBs for atleast a month of storage recording continuous. Then I added a Ring wired for power doorbell to have that convenience, and finished with another Ring cam that has a siren which I can use as a panic button so to speak if I saw someone trying to so something and scare them away. The resolution is 4K and full color at night as long as you have some ambient lighting.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #254
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I picked up two Reolink 4MP wifi IP cameras on an Amazon Black Friday sale two years ago, and had them linked to my home Synology NAS. When I wanted to add a third camera last fall, I found out that the NAS only supported two and would need to be replaced with a much more expensive unit to add additional cameras.

I picked up a basic Amcrest NVR with a 4 TB video-grade hard drive from Amazon, along with an Amcrest wifi 4MP camera. The Amcrest NVR and Amcrest camera work great together, since they both do H.265 video. The Reolink cameras only do H.264, and seem to be struggling with wifi bandwidth with the Amcrest NVR despite performing acceptably with the Synology NAS. Long story short, all of the cameras support PoE, and I just had a new PoE ethernet switch arrive yesterday that will eventually wind up being wired to all three cameras as well as two more that I want to add.

The Amcrest NVR interface on the device is clunky, and only supports a mouse and HDMI TV output. The software they provide is nothing to write home about, and is missing basic functions like a video jog feature on playback. It is usable enough remotely to check up on the lawn service or see if the mail carrier has delivered yet, but painful if you need to look for a specific event over several days even looking at the motion-triggered timelines.

I live on a dead end street, and have the H.265 Amcrest camera hidden on a fence post at the side of the road. It has a really good shot at passing license plates during the day, and occasionally gets a legible rear plate at night because the headlights aren't washing it out. I want to pick up a second camera for the street with an IR-only lens filter and external IR illuminator, just for night time license plates. One of my neighbors further down the road had his outboard boat motor stolen back in the spring, and I was able to give the police a time-stamped vehicle pictures including the license plate number.....
      08-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #255
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
OP: if you don't end up going with a Ring, Nest, etc. type solution, I'd go with standalone IP cams and a dedicated NVR.

The latest/greatest is the 24/7 Color offering from LTS:
http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/4-mp-fu...rk-camera.html
What model? Looked thru several pages and don't see anything model name 24/7 Color.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #256
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
What model? Looked thru several pages and don't see anything model name 24/7 Color.
The link I posted is a direct link to that model camera: CMIP3C42W-M
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #257
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
The link I posted is a direct link to that model camera: CMIP3C42W-M
Thanks, on mobile it doesn't link to the correct page just the search page, it wasn't until I checked on it from my desktop did it take me to the right page.

Signed up for an account and still can't see a price, i'll search around to see if there is anywhere else i can buy from.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #258
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Just google the model number.
      08-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #259
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Signed up for an account and still can't see a price, i'll search around to see if there is anywhere else i can buy from.
Nelly's has them for the same price...only difference is that it's an "unbranded" version. Either way, Nelly's is a trusted source so I wouldn't worry, but would still go through LTS just for the peace of mind:
https://www.nellyssecurity.com/4mp-e...lorvu-dm2.html
Appreciate 1
tdott3930.50
      08-28-2019, 05:08 AM   #260
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
First, I used to sell camera systems at the national distributor I used to work for.

While I use nest cams, I only need 3 cameras, to cover my small condo. Plus my gf likes the remote access to check in on (and talk to ) our cats. The nest system is very friendly for remote access/monitoring, and reviewing/sharing footage. The drawback is the reoccurring fee for cloud storage, and the traffic added to your home's network.

Most people with a home using 4-8 cameras are likely better off getting their surveillance system off their data network, and using a proper IP camera system with a local NVR. I second using LTS, but Hikvision is a major Chinese manufacturer a lot of people use.

Personally I recommend people stay away from the crap systems seen at Walmart and such. I've seen plenty of times where the footage these systems captured was useless for anything other than confirming that something happened; and nowhere near detailed enough to identify anyone or anything.
      08-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #261
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

We actually have a pretty large thread specifically dedicated to home security cameras here:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1132696

My entire system (9 cameras now) is based on LTS cameras. I'm actually in the process of upgrading them all to 6MP.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #262
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Considering a 10 camera system for my place soon. 1 camera on the front door, 1 camera on the driveway, 1 camera on my front deck, the remaining 7 will go in my bedroom. Also looking at an 8TB external HDD If I'm going to have a camera system, I want to record something I actually want to watch.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #263
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The videos of those other 7 cameras would all easily fit on a 3.5" floppy disk...with room to spare.....
      08-31-2019, 01:57 AM   #264
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I highly recommend buying poe cameras like Dahua Starlight and using with Blue Iris and a NAS combined with an encrypted online backup service.

I wanted nothing to do with monthly fees or my video being stored on a cloud service owned by Google, Amazon, etc.
Appreciate 1