New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-22-2023, 11:38 AM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Furniture

Pretty sure there was a post like this before but I can't find it and search is worthless.

Anyways I don't know much about furniture. Most of what we have now has come from outlets, ikea, craigslist and online junk. We have been in this house for 12 years and I'm finally in the mood to get rid of some of this junk and get some nicer stuff. The problem is I'm picky and cheap.

It's taken some time of looking at different stuff to get an idea of what we like. I THINK we like a lot of mid century modern stuff. When we've gone to the "regular" furniture stores like rooms to go etc I see very little stuff like this and don't like most of what I see.

I liked some of the stuff at a crate & barrel we went to but that's about it. So I guess my question is are there any places that sell this type of furniture that don't cost a fortune? And by fortune I mean not the type of place where a tiny side table costs $3k.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 01:57 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
my question is are there any places that sell this type of furniture that don't cost a fortune?
You may find some pieces that meet your needs in one or more of the used furniture outfits in your region. Not the junk shops, but the ones that carry quality items. This is the one I use locally: https://www.shoplegacies.com/what-to...-resale-shops/.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:16 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
You may find some pieces that meet your needs in one or more of the used furniture outfits in your region. Not the junk shops, but the ones that carry quality items. This is the one I use locally: https://www.shoplegacies.com/what-to...-resale-shops/.
Everything in the NC house is from consignment stores or stuff I have made myself. Unfortunately here in FL I have not found many furniture consignment stores. Theres a few for clothes, but haven't found many that have furniture.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:27 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Everything in the NC house is from consignment stores or stuff I have made myself. Unfortunately here in FL I have not found many furniture consignment stores. Theres a few for clothes, but haven't found many that have furniture.
What about auction houses? They're crammed full of stuff here with things baby boomers are getting rid of as they downsize. For example, a quick search brought up this Everything but the House page with pieces that might be considered mid-century modern: https://www.ebth.com/sales/76460-mod...slug=furniture.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

I really like good furniture.
My mother had been saying that Architectural Digest had become sloppy but it's worth going to the library and try to see 10 or 15 year old issues. Find rooms you like and read the description and brands

For mid-century to learn chk out the top auction sites. Auction houses are also there to educate. https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/inte...eneral=Vintage

read about veneer if your going mid-century. Mid-century veneer. There was a good article recently in the Wash Post about purchasing Read the comments https://www.washingtonpost.com/home/...niture-online/

Check out the Baker Furniture web site. This Desede model I think this is not in production presently https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/se...id-f_23722142/

My friend spent a lot of time at antique, consignment shops buying vintage and when I showed the pictures of their rooms to my mother she commented how it looked so conservative and blah. So Architectural Digest and the Auction sites really help guide in room colors and what pieces are good.

When I go to Zillow and look at 1.5 - 3 million homes you see how hard it is to furnish large homes, most of the interiors look pretty bad. This site interesting, chk out interiors https://mcmansionhell.com

So much I want to say but just go slow and use magazines as inspiration.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3

I furnished my entire house by going to stores that were having bank auctions for going out of business. I spent $20k for about $100k of high end Italian furniture.
      01-22-2023, 03:01 PM   #7
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Tons of furniture on FB Marketplace where we were in FL (Flagler Beach). Also a couple of really good furniture consignment shops nearby became favorites. Takes time to assemble a room, but well worth it.

We found a really good upholsterer, bought pieces in good condition (wood, etc) and had them reupholstered to our liking. Much cheaper than new, and faster.

Most furniture is made overseas unless you find a custom shop. And it is expensive new. Even at the lower-end stores.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 03:07 PM   #8
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

In my experience, which is pretty irrelevant as I live down here, the comments "mid century modern" and "don't cost a fortune" are mutually exclusive!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 04:52 PM   #9
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

check to see if you live near one of these

https://interiordesign.lovetoknow.co...furniture/macy's-furniture-outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 05:19 PM   #10
M-technik-3
Major
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
WE had a great place but sadly the rent was too high and Restore left town. There is one in CT that I travel down to about once a month. They generally don't have crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 05:22 PM   #11
John4C
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

CB2.com (you said you liked Crate and Barrel, this is their more modern brand)
Roveconcepts.com
Allmodern.com
DWR.com
Westelm.com

There’s tons honestly. Never pay full price on any of those sites. There’s always sales and offers, etc.
      01-22-2023, 06:46 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
What about auction houses? They're crammed full of stuff here with things baby boomers are getting rid of as they downsize. For example, a quick search brought up this Everything but the House page with pieces that might be considered mid-century modern: https://www.ebth.com/sales/76460-mod...slug=furniture.
Will have to search and see if there's any around. Some pretty nice stuff on that site, but unfortunately nothing within 150 miles. Saw a pretty nice cabinet, my estimated shipping was like $850..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I really like good furniture.
My mother had been saying that Architectural Digest had become sloppy but it's worth going to the library and try to see 10 or 15 year old issues. Find rooms you like and read the description and brands

For mid-century to learn chk out the top auction sites. Auction houses are also there to educate. https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/inte...eneral=Vintage

read about veneer if your going mid-century. Mid-century veneer. There was a good article recently in the Wash Post about purchasing Read the comments https://www.washingtonpost.com/home/...niture-online/

Check out the Baker Furniture web site. This Desede model I think this is not in production presently https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/se...id-f_23722142/

My friend spent a lot of time at antique, consignment shops buying vintage and when I showed the pictures of their rooms to my mother she commented how it looked so conservative and blah. So Architectural Digest and the Auction sites really help guide in room colors and what pieces are good.

When I go to Zillow and look at 1.5 - 3 million homes you see how hard it is to furnish large homes, most of the interiors look pretty bad. This site interesting, chk out interiors https://mcmansionhell.com

So much I want to say but just go slow and use magazines as inspiration.
I don't know much about furniture, but I can definitely tell you what I like and don't like. There's almost no houses for sale that have furniture/decor I like. I have seen maybe 2 in the last few years that I was like that's awesome I would take that house with everything just as it sits.

However it's hard for me to envision how it will look in my house with my layout, floors etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I furnished my entire house by going to stores that were having bank auctions for going out of business. I spent $20k for about $100k of high end Italian furniture.
Where do you find those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
In my experience, which is pretty irrelevant as I live down here, the comments "mid century modern" and "don't cost a fortune" are mutually exclusive!
I'm starting to see that. Been to a couple other stores that had stuff we really liked but the prices were crazy. Plus it didn't seem like super high quality stuff either. You are just paying for the design, which mid century modern seems to me to be fairly simple design.

There is a store I love in NC that is very expensive, but everything is solid wood and made extremely well. Half this stuff is made of particle board and laminate but still costs $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #13
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Will have to search and see if there's any around. Some pretty nice stuff on that site, but unfortunately nothing within 150 miles. Saw a pretty nice cabinet, my estimated shipping was like $850..
Yeah, it's crazy. Given today's shipping costs, you could easily find yourself rolling the F350 to wherever and back to pick up one or more pieces that made the trip worthwhile.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3445.50
      01-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #14
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Estate sales.

As mentioned above, if you're funky about someone else's colon (cologne) being left on the pillows, have it re-upholstered
      01-24-2023, 04:06 PM   #15
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Facebook marketplace and estate sales are where it's at for most furniture. You'll save a mountain of money.
      01-24-2023, 05:42 PM   #16
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M4

For what it’s worth, this bed from IKEA is great. Tons of storage and fun to build. Good price and very solid..

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brimnes...oey-s79129608/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 05:45 PM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4C View Post
CB2.com (you said you liked Crate and Barrel, this is their more modern brand)
Roveconcepts.com
Allmodern.com
DWR.com
Westelm.com
This. Digging through craigslist or whatever, fuck me dead, adult..... start at these stores.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2023, 05:52 PM   #18
anabousq
Registered
Rep

Drives: 1988

I outfitted my whole house by going to stores that were having bank barters for leaving business.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 05:53 PM   #19
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
For what it’s worth, this bed from IKEA is great. Tons of storage and fun to build. Good price and very solid..

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brimnes...oey-s79129608/
I'm a fan of ikea for some things. Mainly super cheap throw away stuff like kitchen accessories etc. I actually have an ikea desk in my office that's a combination of various ikea "parts". It's alright, but I have to put mats and stuff on it to prevent from totally destroying it. Not sure I could stomach spending that much on ikea furniture.

I do have one cabinet from ikea that I'm thinking of "modding" to make it more mid century modern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This. Digging through craigslist or whatever, fuck me dead, adult..... start at these stores.
The problem is I'm a cheap ass adult. While those places have some nice looking stuff... it seems to be target at really rich adults or those who like spending $$ like it's going out of style.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 09:18 PM   #20
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Pretty sure there was a post like this before but I can't find it and search is worthless.

Anyways I don't know much about furniture. Most of what we have now has come from outlets, ikea, craigslist and online junk. We have been in this house for 12 years and I'm finally in the mood to get rid of some of this junk and get some nicer stuff. The problem is I'm picky and cheap.

It's taken some time of looking at different stuff to get an idea of what we like. I THINK we like a lot of mid century modern stuff. When we've gone to the "regular" furniture stores like rooms to go etc I see very little stuff like this and don't like most of what I see.

I liked some of the stuff at a crate & barrel we went to but that's about it. So I guess my question is are there any places that sell this type of furniture that don't cost a fortune? And by fortune I mean not the type of place where a tiny side table costs $3k.
If you don’t like what you see in a store, raise the price point, which means go to a different brand store. Or for the same quality at lower price, become experienced at finding deals at garage sales, second hand stores, etc. Spending more money is the fastest, but most expensive, way.

Look at Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn and Ethan Allen.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 10:48 PM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
If you don’t like what you see in a store, raise the price point, which means go to a different brand store. Or for the same quality at lower price, become experienced at finding deals at garage sales, second hand stores, etc. Spending more money is the fastest, but most expensive, way.

Look at Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn and Ethan Allen.
I agree some of the more expensive stores had more stuff we liked like crate & barrel and west elm also had some nice stuff.

I also wonder why making stuff in a certain style costs more than making it in another. I mean I can understand hand made solid wood stuff would cost more, but why does similar quality mdf stuff cost more just because of the design.

Have to check out Ethan Allen did not think of that one. I think there are some around here. Also gotta start looking to see if there are any auctions or anything like that around here. Unfortunately I keep the truck in NC permanently, but I could rent something for a good enough find.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      01-25-2023, 12:41 PM   #22
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Years ago at the veterinarian in the waiting room a customer picked up an Ethan Allen Catalogue and asked another women if the Catalogue belonged to her and the reply was 'no' and something to the effect that's not a brand I would ever use.
When buying vintage furniture you need to be very aware of repairs. Use your phone flashlight to inspect for instance table surfaces for repaint or when they use waxy markers to fill scratches which in itself isn't a bad thing because scratches in wooden furniture is part of the ownership process. Just that heavy deep scratching on table tops will be more pronounced at home when the sun hits it (constant sunlight on fine wood furniture should be avoided). Conversely scratched table legs or worn stretchers on a chair are normal and kind of pretty.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/furn...han_allen.html

Last edited by overcoil; 01-25-2023 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0