New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-19-2023, 08:23 AM   #67
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I wasn’t saying that for my benefit, that’s what the dealer told me. I would probably get the Eray in about 2 years and the Z06 within 4. I can order the Eray when it’s my turn, own it long enough past the 12 month resale restriction and then turn it back in when the Z06 shows up.

Like I said earlier, I am on both lists. Why not drive the Eray, see how I like it especially since I can’t have the Z06 at that point? Now if I’d pop at the top of the list at the same time, I’d probably just get the Z06. But I can also see the use case for the Eray, all weather, awd, better fuel economy, more compliant ride.

There’s a reason why the GT3 Touring exists and it’s not simply to get rid of the rear wing. The suspension is slightly better tuned for roads vs track. Obviously, it’s not as divergent as the Eray is to the Z06, but I can see why Eray might be a popular choice. Chevrolet is taking a huge risk that it will be successful.

It’s really not a risk. They had 3-4 years of feedback of how much stingrays were fetching for. When they showcased the z06 at 106k starting, it’s essentially sold out for the entire life of its possible production run.

The ERAY will fill the void for those who can’t or don’t want a z06 but don’t want a basic stingray. I’m making the same move. I cancelled my stingray. Got on the eray list and I’m still getting a z06.

Best of both worlds. GM is killing the comp during these last few years of peak ice before we move into ev.
Yawn
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #68
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
A 4000lb + AWD hybrid Corvette is interesting to say the least but a necessary bridge to EV.

I also find amusing when people argue performance car aptitude based on 0-60 times. It's a necessary legacy metric because it appeals to ignorant masses, marketing sound bites, etc. No experienced track junky or accomplished high-performance driver cares about 0-60 when evaluating the merits of a sports car. It is a good reference point that speaks to traction from a dig but that's it. The extra weight of this thing is going to put it miles outside of the Z06 on a road course.
Cos270608.50
      01-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #69
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fix It View Post
I am sure out of touch. I just don't know that many people that are making $300,000 a year and are interested in this type of car. They seem to be out there though. Are people paying cash? I must no longer be in the "middle class" lol. Glad for them and rock on.
Oh, to respond to the question that I am on BMW forum and talking about not being able to work on the corvette? Maybe they know something I don't....I have worked on many a BMW. There is no problem with them.....it is just work. Porsche is different. Can't get parts and closely guarded software makes working on them VERY hard.
According to an article I read, about $200k income per yr is upper middle class in my geographic area. This world is so backwards & upside down at this point that I am not sure it can be saved. Hooray for the wealth gap.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-19-2023, 09:33 AM   #70
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I see a lot of people on the Vette forums saying this. They are so far down the Z06 list and production is so slow...they will just get an Eray. Eray is basically the backup b*tch to the Z06(model everyone really wants).
100%. Thankfully, I should be getting the call to order my Z in the next few months
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      01-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #71
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep

Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
100%. Thankfully, I should be getting the call to order my Z in the next few months
Same. Thank god for people passing up their spot because they want everything carbon lol.
      01-19-2023, 10:42 AM   #72
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
A 4000lb + AWD hybrid Corvette is interesting to say the least but a necessary bridge to EV.

I also find amusing when people argue performance car aptitude based on 0-60 times. It's a necessary legacy metric because it appeals to ignorant masses, marketing sound bites, etc. No experienced track junky or accomplished high-performance driver cares about 0-60 when evaluating the merits of a sports car. It is a good reference point that speaks to traction from a dig but that's it. The extra weight of this thing is going to put it miles outside of the Z06 on a road course.
Yeah. For the 5-10% of people who actually track the cars, sure. But 0-60 is way more important to the rest of the people who couldn't give 2 shits about some ring time.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:49 AM   #73
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep

Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Yeah. For the 5-10% of people who actually track the cars, sure. But 0-60 is way more important to the rest of the people who couldn't give 2 shits about some ring time.
And that’s why the sheep love Tesla cause leaving a stoplight is all they care about.
      01-19-2023, 11:10 AM   #74
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And that’s why the sheep love Tesla cause leaving a stoplight is all they care about.
I'm not a Tesla fan. But I do get the love of 0-60. It's fun being able to beat everyone from a dig.
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2327.00
      01-19-2023, 12:13 PM   #75
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GT3 + M2c

yeah i dont get the 0-60 thing either. or straight line performance. its a weird thing bragging about how good you are at holding the wheel straight and putting your foot down. there is literally no skill involved with drag or roll racing. but somehow makes people feel like they are 'better' than the guy they just beat.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      01-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #76
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
yeah i dont get the 0-60 thing either. or straight line performance. its a weird thing bragging about how good you are at holding the wheel straight and putting your foot down. there is literally no skill involved with drag or roll racing. but somehow makes people feel like they are 'better' than the guy they just beat.
I think for most people, 98% of the population or so, stop light to stop light is their track time, as most people will never actually track their cars..Drag racing is legit nothing more than reaction time and who has the fastest car, not much skill at all, but people still want to be the fastest...and why every car video of X vs Y on YouTube is a drag race.

It is why the first thing you hear about any new super car, sports car, muscle car, etc is 0-60 times...especially in this day and age of so many sub 4 second cars ...obviously it isn't the only thing people care about, but its the first indicator of how fast the car is...people don't care what the top speed is, cuz they'll never get anywhere near it anyway. They want to know how fast the car is, not how fast can it go

Track rats don't care about 0-60 times true, but you bet they know what they are
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 08:30 PM   #77
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
I think for most people, 98% of the population or so, stop light to stop light is their track time, as most people will never actually track their cars..Drag racing is legit nothing more than reaction time and who has the fastest car, not much skill at all, but people still want to be the fastest...and why every car video of X vs Y on YouTube is a drag race.

It is why the first thing you hear about any new super car, sports car, muscle car, etc is 0-60 times...especially in this day and age of so many sub 4 second cars ...obviously it isn't the only thing people care about, but its the first indicator of how fast the car is...people don't care what the top speed is, cuz they'll never get anywhere near it anyway. They want to know how fast the car is, not how fast can it go

Track rats don't care about 0-60 times true, but you bet they know what they are
What is you are drag racing said car with a manual trans? Takes at least a little skill there...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 08:44 PM   #78
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Quote:

What is you are drag racing said car with a manual trans? Takes at least a little skill there...
Hell yeah it's hard. Lol. Especially with some decent power and not on a track. Definitely need skill and a lot of practice. Then again, who buys a manual anymore. 😉🤣.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 08:45 PM   #79
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
it beat the M3 in this Top Gear head to head video on the lap time, 1/4 mile, 0-60 and braking...and this was three years ago in the first gen Model 3 Performance.

Do you see any Teslas on the track? If so how do they do from what you've seen?
Seems like it would be a very affordable way to track a car when all you really got to worry about is tires

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 10:39 PM   #80
________
________
Rep

Drives: ________

Quote:
it beat the M3 in this Top Gear head to head video on the lap time, 1/4 mile, 0-60 and braking...and this was three years ago in the first gen Model 3 Performance.

Seems like it would be a very affordable way to track a car when all you really got to worry about is tires

Tires and brakes primarily just like a gas car… what’s the difference? Eventually shocks/suspension bits etc. No difference whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 12:36 AM   #81
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Tires and brakes primarily just like a gas car… what’s the difference? Eventually shocks/suspension bits etc. No difference whatsoever.
No difference whatsoever?

There are so many more moving parts and fluids to replace, repair , replenish or worry about in an gas car, especially a tracked car compared to the simplicity of the EV's with their regenerative braking and one speed transmission

Most people who race their cars are constantly working on their cars or modifying things...

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 01-20-2023 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 02:31 AM   #82
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
There are so many more moving parts and fluids to replace, repair , replenish or worry about in an gas car, especially a tracked car compared to the simplicity of the EV's with their regenerative braking and one speed transmission
Exactly, plus I've never had any issues with lithium ion battery's dying prematurely in any of my phones or laptopS
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 03:45 AM   #83
________
________
Rep

Quote:
No difference whatsoever?

Most people who race their cars are constantly working on their cars or modifying things...
They work on their cars because they can… you can’t with an EV. And we have no idea yet what maintenance electric motors will require when subjected to the heat and strain of track. I don’t follow Formula E to know. I follow Formula 1 and the electric motors crap out all the time…

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Exactly, plus I've never had any issues with lithium ion battery's dying prematurely in any of my phones or laptopS
Just because you have never heard of it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. A laptop battery failing is literally the most common occurrence in warranty claims (or just outside of warranty, so you pay out of pocket; try doing that with a BEV).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 06:25 AM   #84
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Teslas were never meant to be on a track however they aren’t terrible at it like most people think. The weight of an ev is detrimental to tires and brakes so if you were doing lap after lap as of right now a proper gas performance car is superior until they can reduce the weight of your average ev when battery tech improves.

We live in America where it was all about red light to red light racing. That’s where the hp and 0-60 and drag times have become so popular.

Teslas are amazing straight line performers and there’s no doubt about it. A model 3 performance will run a 11.6. Even a long range has been doing 12.1 or so with AB.

Some people do like the appeal of having a silent missile for a daily as well as having it as a weekend toy too.
      01-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #85
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:

Teslas were never meant to be on a track however they aren’t terrible at it like most people think. The weight of an ev is detrimental to tires and brakes so if you were doing lap after lap as of right now a proper gas performance car is superior until they can reduce the weight of your average ev when battery tech improves.

We live in America where it was all about red light to red light racing. That’s where the hp and 0-60 and drag times have become so popular.

Teslas are amazing straight line performers and there’s no doubt about it. A model 3 performance will run a 11.6. Even a long range has been doing 12.1 or so with AB.

Some people do like the appeal of having a silent missile for a daily as well as having it as a weekend toy too.
Yawn
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 09:27 AM   #86
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Yawn
He’s right though lol
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      01-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #87
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yawn
He’s right though lol
Water is wet🤪
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      01-20-2023, 10:35 AM   #88
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
He’s right though lol
He’s still doing that yawn shit?

I literally don’t see his clown ass posts until someone quotes him. It sucks you did lol.

My posts are so powerful even someone who’s on ignore and knowingly too still try to engage conversation lmaooooo