New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Sim Racing

07-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

PC Sims so annoying (warning rant)

so i haven't touched my PC for a while as playing GT7 on PS5. now i've golded everything and in isolation with covid

fired up ACC
- the game had disappeared. took ages to redownload on steam
- got into the game and for some reason the wheel is not working.
&^^%

so i fired up iRacing - sub expired

fired up rFactor 2 - join BTG. 9 things to download.

all in all i've been doing stupid things on the PC over over 1 hr now and have not driven anything.

so far the thing that just works in Assetto Corsa (did that last night as i all the other stupid things were downloading - and still downloading)

maybe i need to explore AC more

or just stick with the un-sim PS5 game

/end rant
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #2
Dmytro
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 YMB 6 Speed

Always thought that the Iracing subscription was a little extreme.

It is genuinely so expensive and with how much I dislike some of those cars in the game it's stupid I pay $100 to then pay more money for tracks and cars that I seldom drive. Assetto Corsa is super modular but I only drift and drive tail of the dragon. Not really that realistic to me. Haven't driven R-Factor twice probably.

PS5 for leisure, PC for true driving for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

still down with covid sick as a dog, i will try to see if i can get ACC to bind with the wheel later this morning

was at it for an hour yesterday before i gave up and went on rF2
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Drives: bmw m235i

Of all the sims listed, Assetto Corsa has the most to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmytro View Post
Always thought that the Iracing subscription was a little extreme.

It is genuinely so expensive and with how much I dislike some of those cars in the game it's stupid I pay $100 to then pay more money for tracks and cars that I seldom drive. Assetto Corsa is super modular but I only drift and drive tail of the dragon. Not really that realistic to me. Haven't driven R-Factor twice probably.

PS5 for leisure, PC for true driving for me.
I agree Iracing is a boring rip-off for anyone who loves driving for the sake of driving.

You're missing out on a lot of awesome driving content for AC then. Open your horizon. Literally endless roads and cars to drive, varying in realism. Shutoko, LA Canyons, Pacific Coast Highway, Topanga's Canyon, Goodwood Festival of speed....I could keep going. Try some more mods!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
still down with covid sick as a dog, i will try to see if i can get ACC to bind with the wheel later this morning

was at it for an hour yesterday before i gave up and went on rF2
What kind of wheel do you have?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #5
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

Fanatec GT base and WRC elite wheel
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Corvette Z06

The iRacing business model where you don't own anything is a joke but, unfortunately, it's the only legitimate option for competitive racing against other people.

ACC is by far my favorite and most authentic to my experience on the track. Multiplayer is a big pain in the ass whether it's lack of servers, ridiculous pings or the annoyance of trying to launch a private server so you and some friends can play.

PC > Console every day of the week but you can't debate that the convenience of a console is hard to beat sometimes.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #7
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

recovered from the covid now, spending the rest of isolation firing up PC sims

iRacing - retired (i didn't own anything as i knew this day would come)
ACC - not sure i like GT3 cars but managed to get the wheel to bind finally. drove around Paul Ricard until the end of the F1 GP and no reason to fire it up again. except maybe to drive on Spa if i feel like it one day.

basically driving rFactor 2 and AC
i'm not racing just driving around whichever tracks i feel like - there are so many options!

i choose cars based on the FFB detail and handling so not too fussed
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 09:51 PM   #8
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I recommend giving BeamNG a try. It is unlike any other sim, because it is built around next-level so called "soft body" physics, which makes the gameplay much more deep and engaging.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 09:59 PM   #9
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

thanks i saw that game but it seems to be built around crashing into things

i'm more of someone trying to understand grip, weight transfer, and racing lines when i don't have access to a race car or a race track.

i think rFactor 2 so far gives me the most interesting wheel detail, when it works. the FFB breaks after a while so i reset FFB every few laps!

but haven't tried AC much. ACC - very little wheel detail, also only 2 types of cars GT3 and GT4.

but i'm finding there is nothing on rear wheel traction in sims. keep losing the back end without realising until it's too late. maybe also lack of g force feel like in real life.

oh well beggars can't be choosers
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 07:50 AM   #10
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
but i'm finding there is nothing on rear wheel traction in sims. keep losing the back end without realising until it's too late. maybe also lack of g force feel like in real life.
I find losing the rear and braking are the hardest to get used to. My braking would be much better if I had a better pedal setup. Motion rigs help a little, but still doesn't give the full feeling. DOF Reality has some reasonably priced rigs, I plan to pick one up in the semi-near future with a better pedal setup.

I have AC, PC3, Dirt Rally 2.0, F1 2021, and Horizons 5 all for PC. Not all sims, but each brings it's own fun.

AC is obviously the sim and best out of them all for true racing, but I feel it lacks a lot in graphics and sound (it is old though).

Horizons 5 is great to just go and drive.

PC3 has some great graphics and is actually quite in-depth. I have some racing buddies that PC3 is all they play now in the off-season.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is a lot of fun in VR but I also find it very difficult. It usually doesn't take me long to get the feel of control and mechanics, but that game is a whole different beast and I find myself in the trees a lot.

F1 I haven't played much yet since I just got it on sale a couple weeks ago, but I find the graphics and sound to be lacking and while I can't speak for whats it's really like in an F1 car, the sense of speed in the game seems quite exaggerated.

I also want to go with a triple screen. Right now I have a 34in wide and VR. I like VR for the sense of speed and ability to actually LOOK through a corner, but it lacks peripheral vision and that irritates me. However I think VR will be nice now that F1 2022 supports VR and I'll be able to look around that damn halo bar.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

thanks it was a good idea, still is, to get a sim rig but there are massive limitations

a sim rig will reproduce front wheel grip better than my REAL LIFE BMW steering wheel will ever do in a million years!

braking is for me nigh impossible too. i think amongst other things i also lack timing and unlike a pianist who can repeat a piece exactly every time, no 2 of my anything are the same. i think as a race driver you have to drive the exact same every time. i see people on the internet drive a sim exactly the same line the same braking point the same lap every time. my body is not built like that lol.

rear traction is think is a G force thing - either feel it in the bum or feel it in the body. can't feel that on a steering wheel. i find that if i use a field of view of seeing the car from behind i can see the rear move and react. lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #12
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

I don't have much of a problem catching the rear, but I also tend to drive the MX-5 and am looking forward to iRacing adding the new GR86 at the beginning of next year. I can feel the car losing the rear grip in the wheel, but you also have to use your eyes a lot more since you don't get the seat of the pants feeling.

The thing for me is braking is tough and I even have a load cell pedal. Also on a triple monitor setup. 32" 144hz 1440p Samsung G5s. I can get the monitor mount close enough to have like 170 degree FOV.

I find the braking especially tough in the downforce cars since you can get on the brakes hard early, but then slowly have to bleed them off as you slow down and lose downforce.

I mostly do iRacing, but haven't been doing it much lately because of the serious increase in asshats not caring about ruining other peoples races the last 4-5 months.

Where is a good place to find mods for AC? I like the idea of being able to drive some of the other roads mentioned.

Last edited by OkieSnuffBox; 07-28-2022 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #13
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Where is a good place to find mods for AC? I like the idea of being able to drive some of the other roads mentioned.
racedepartment.com

assettocorsa.club

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 05:48 PM   #14
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

i just download content manager and you can get the mods downloaded and installed from content manager

the only thing is it's fiddly until you get the hang of it.

and some (many) cars don't work

i tried AC and it's not the sim for me

rFactor 2 it is
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #15
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i just download content manager and you can get the mods downloaded and installed from content manager

the only thing is it's fiddly until you get the hang of it.

and some (many) cars don't work

i tried AC and it's not the sim for me

rFactor 2 it is
The mods, are actually really easy to install outside of content manager [and should be done this way]. Most mods wont work when installed through content manager - but will work if you do it manually.

For cars :

Navigate to your main AC folder in steam, usually :

steam\steamapps\assetto corsa\content\cars

and for tracks

steam\steamapps\assetto corsa\content\tracks

Make sure the directory for each car and track after unzipping is as follows :

folder_name\car data

NOT

folder_name\folder_name\car data <<<--- this is often how Content manager unpacks files and which is why it doesnt work.

Hope this helps. If you need to be walked-thru, you can join my discord or maybe i'll make a quick video when i get home from work.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 01:35 AM   #16
HNSKP
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 M3 base

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:
I find losing the rear and braking are the hardest to get used to. My braking would be much better if I had a better pedal setup. Motion rigs help a little, but still doesn't give the full feeling. DOF Reality has some reasonably priced rigs, I plan to pick one up in the semi-near future with a better pedal setup.

I have AC, PC3, Dirt Rally 2.0, F1 2021, and Horizons 5 all for PC. Not all sims, but each brings it's own fun.

AC is obviously the sim and best out of them all for true racing, but I feel it lacks a lot in graphics and sound (it is old though).

Horizons 5 is great to just go and drive.

PC3 has some great graphics and is actually quite in-depth. I have some racing buddies that PC3 is all they play now in the off-season.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is a lot of fun in VR but I also find it very difficult. It usually doesn't take me long to get the feel of control and mechanics, but that game is a whole different beast and I find myself in the trees a lot.

F1 I haven't played much yet since I just got it on sale a couple weeks ago, but I find the graphics and sound to be lacking and while I can't speak for whats it's really like in an F1 car, the sense of speed in the game seems quite exaggerated.

I also want to go with a triple screen. Right now I have a 34in wide and VR. I like VR for the sense of speed and ability to actually LOOK through a corner, but it lacks peripheral vision and that irritates me. However I think VR will be nice now that F1 2022 supports VR and I'll be able to look around that damn halo bar.
Can confirm VR is well implemented in F1 22. I bought it purely for that feature and the position/scaling feels great. I don't even notice the halo in VR whereas it's very annoying on a flat monitor.

The VRC Formula Alpha 22 mod for AC is supposedly excellent and some say more realistic than F1 22. I might give it a shot one day.
Appreciate 1
///d1807.00
      08-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #17
g21
Brigadier General
Rep

what's the best way for VR?

PS5 or PC?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 06:45 PM   #18
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what's the best way for VR?

PS5 or PC?
PC
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 02:48 AM   #19
ConnorBrown
Registered
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M4 Competition Convertible

Im playing VR at ps5 and its good

https://www.9winz.com/home/blog/thin...have-in-common

Last edited by ConnorBrown; 08-14-2022 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:04 AM   #20
John Simon
Rep

Drives: BMW E60 M5

I would suggest BeamN.G drive if you have a sim setup, its not about the racing but it is about the clear physics and fun. also I would suggest Snowrunner too.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #21
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simon View Post
I would suggest BeamN.G drive if you have a sim setup, its not about the racing but it is about the clear physics and fun. also I would suggest Snowrunner too.
I think BeamNG also has superior racing experience, especially with recent update which added even more detailed suspension modelling, which is orders of magnitude more sophisticated than anything else out there.

Here is a video which explains it better than I could:

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #22
Roman
Private
Rep

Drives: GMC / Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
ACC is by far my favorite and most authentic to my experience on the track.
Interesting. My sim racing comeuppance was F1 2020, AC, ACC and then back to AC as I found AC to be more realistic. Perhaps it's driving style that makes people prefer one to the other.
Appreciate 0