New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #23
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Still no pics of Lambos in this thread
I'm still grinding away at the day job.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      04-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #24
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Reporting back with my completely speculative gambling. Crypto can be a complete shit show. Binance locked their coin for a while. I transferred in, but couldn't get it out. Seems like there isn't much reprocussion for these exchanges. Then educated myself on how to move the coin. It's different for US and non-US. Exchange, to intermediate wallet, to wallet. Then pancake swap. Only to find out that I could only trade in miniscule quantities. All of this to gamble on safemoon and elongate. Lol. If anyone is thinking about getting into this I can say that attempting to use pancake swap was an educational experience.

I don't like how it requires multiple exchanges to get most of the coin. The Kraken interface is easy and the app is fine. I like the binance desktop, but not as much a fan of the app.

Read everything about transfers. It's not difficult, but there is nuance that could create a loss of asset.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #25
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW X5MC

not sure if crypto and long term can go together!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #26
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdahman View Post
not sure if crypto and long term can go together!
I thought the same thing when poeple were trying to get me to mine Bitcoin, and then later buy it when it was $10 because mining was "not worth it". That must be close to 10yrs ago. I think crypto is closer to gambling for the most part because of the difficulty identifying what will stand the test of time. It's the wild west gold rush.
Appreciate 1
unluky7465.00
      04-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #27
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 340ix

They call it cryptocurrency but looking into it, I couldn't buy much anywhere with any of these. They say bitcoin can go to 100,000 dollars. That is a double from here but I can pick a stock which 2x and it is a stock in a real company with assets. Bitcoin is based on greater fool theory from what I can see.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
They call it cryptocurrency but looking into it, I couldn't buy much anywhere with any of these. They say bitcoin can go to 100,000 dollars. That is a double from here but I can pick a stock which 2x and it is a stock in a real company with assets. Bitcoin is based on greater fool theory from what I can see.
Absolutely a dicotomy with cryptocurrency. I suspect it's like the early days of the phone, computer, or internet. It's so vastly different than anything experienced before it that it can be tough to navigate.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #29
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Absolutely a dicotomy with cryptocurrency. I suspect it's like the early days of the phone, computer, or internet. It's so vastly different than anything experienced before it that it can be tough to navigate.
There are a lot of tech savvy people who compare it to the internet. Some estimates put crypto technology adoption comparatively to the early 90's of the internet or early 2000's flip phones. Remember cryptocurrency is not just a decentralized currency, a lot of the blockchains are platforms to build off of.

I'm no expert by any means and I still have a hard time trying to understand it, but with the technology expanding and Institutional investor's taking a serious look at it, it's only a matter of time before it becomes part of everyday life.

The market cap for bitcoin alone is now 1 trillion usd, with alt coins it's closer to 2 trillion. The person saying that investing in bitcoin going to 100K is only a 2x multiplier and that they can invest it in stocks and get greater returns doesn't understand market caps. It's way harder for bitcoin to 2x because of the 1 trillion market share. That's like pushing AAPL's price to $260 2x of it's current price, it's going to require a ton of volume. OP if you would have bought bitcoin at 10 dollars when it's market cap was low, what's the multiplier from that price to now...exactly.

There's multiple alt coins that have the potential to 10-20x within this bull cycle which some estimates end it in September. The problem like you said is navigating and access to the exchanges. Which I believe will become easier as the platform evolves. Maybe in time for the next bull run. Again do your own DD, but I believe ETH will cement it's future in blockchain and BTC will cement it's status as a store of value (it kind of sucks as a blockchain)

Last edited by ErvGotti; 04-24-2021 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #30
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
There are a lot of tech savvy people who compare it to the internet. Some estimates put crypto technology adoption comparatively to the early 90's of the internet or early 2000's flip phones. Remember cryptocurrency is not just a decentralized currency, a lot of the blockchains are platforms to build off of.

I'm no expert by any means and I still have a hard time trying to understand it, but with the technology expanding and Institutional investor's taking a serious look at it, it's only a matter of time before it becomes part of everyday life.

The market cap for bitcoin alone is now 1 trillion usd, with alt coins it's closer to 2 trillion. The person saying that investing in bitcoin going to 100K is only a 2x multiplier and that they can invest it in stocks and get greater returns doesn't understand market caps. It's way harder for bitcoin to 2x because of the 1 trillion market share. That's like pushing AAPL's price to $260 2x of it's current price, it's going to require a ton of volume. OP if you would have bought bitcoin at 10 dollars when it's market cap was low, what's the multiplier from that price to now...exactly.

There's multiple alt coins that have the potential to 10-20x within this bull cycle which some estimates end it in September. The problem like you said is navigating and access to the exchanges. Which I believe will become easier as the platform evolves. Maybe in time for the next bull run. Again do your own DD, but I believe ETH will cement it's future in blockchain and BTC will cement it's status as a store of value (it kind of sucks as a blockchain)
I think I agree with your assessment of ETH and BTC. You hit on the underlying blockchain performing a function. This is really important. I may be off base as my knowledge is still very low, but I like the blockchain to internet explorer, Netscape, etc. In that scenario there were only a handful of options and some didn't survive. Look at all the blockchain types. I don't think it's possible for there to be a high number of successful platforms. Most will falter, institutions will inevitably adopt or create something new. Again I think this circles back to confidence in Eth, but most others will likely fail. That's not too say that will happen in the next five years. I believe we are still a decade away from mainstream acceptance and use.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #31
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
I think I agree with your assessment of ETH and BTC. You hit on the underlying blockchain performing a function. This is really important. I may be off base as my knowledge is still very low, but I like the blockchain to internet explorer, Netscape, etc. In that scenario there were only a handful of options and some didn't survive. Look at all the blockchain types. I don't think it's possible for there to be a high number of successful platforms. Most will falter, institutions will inevitably adopt or create something new. Again I think this circles back to confidence in Eth, but most others will likely fail. That's not too say that will happen in the next five years. I believe we are still a decade away from mainstream acceptance and use.
Yeah I agree most will likely fail and main stream adoption is likely 5-10 years away, and it's probably not a guarantee Eth will survive, but I like it's chances. The way I see it, is that with the smaller alt coins you can compare them to penny stocks and BTC and ETH to say apple or amazon, they have a huge market cap. As far as blockchain technology goes yeah it's hard to tell if one project might dominate or if they'll all have a place in 5-10 years. Again I feel like a cheerleader but I like what Eth brings to the table especially after the updates slated for this year.

Last edited by ErvGotti; 04-24-2021 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #32
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I like Eth, which has me looking at Cardano. Increased throughout led me to Solana. Both of those lead me to believe that no system really has their stuff together to take on the likes of Visa etc. I must then believe that the likes of the larger institutions would develop their own system. Why wouldn't visa create their own solution. The framework DND partnerships are already in place.

It's kinda like pot stocks to me. Everyone is scrambl8ng to produce elaborate greenhouses while the tobacco companies have in the infrastructure in place already. They'll have tobacco farmers switch over. The money isn't in high grade product. It's in the gas station stuff that the everyday joe can buy. Grown outside. Grind up the stems, seeds, and all. They're waiting for the right time to jump in after everyone else has spent the coin to figure out the direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #33
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
I like Eth, which has me looking at Cardano. Increased throughout led me to Solana. Both of those lead me to believe that no system really has their stuff together to take on the likes of Visa etc. I must then believe that the likes of the larger institutions would develop their own system. Why wouldn't visa create their own solution. The framework DND partnerships are already in place.

one word.... .XRP(/XRP Ledger)

They(Ripple) already have the infrastructure built, XRP Ledger can process 1500+ transactions per second, support from banks, financial institutions, and central banks, it is already BEING USED, tons of partnerships, etc...
Appreciate 1
Mandi90TT2712.00
      04-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #34
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: like you stole it

Anyone tried using Bisq?
Appreciate 1
Mandi90TT2712.00
      04-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #35
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
one word.... .XRP(/XRP Ledger)

They(Ripple) already have the infrastructure built, XRP Ledger can process 1500+ transactions per second, support from banks, financial institutions, and central banks, it is already BEING USED, tons of partnerships, etc...
I'm hoping XRP hits about $10 (or more). Then I can retire.
      04-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #36
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It does seem like a lot of folks like ripple
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #37
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Wallet security / custody risk is a big issue for me on the crypto decision. Barry Ritholtz/Bloomberg said on a podcast that 30% of Bitcoins mined have been lost by holders or have been stolen by hackers. I have an acquaintance who had his wallet hacked and the money stolen. Supporters call it one off or “dumb user, forgot the password”.

How much of this happens with Fidelity or Vanguard investors with brokerage accounts? Answer: it doesn’t.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #38
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyWelos View Post
In 2021, I still invested in cryptocurrency. Mostly I kept money in coins such as Dogecoin, Bitcoin, and Shiba Inu. But at the beginning of 2022, I decided to cash out everything, so my friend advised me to do it. And it's good that I listened to him, cashed out all my money, and didn't lose anything at all, unlike those holders who kept money in bitcoin and other coins... Now bitcoin costs about 21 thousand dollars, and I think that this means the end of the cryptocurrency. However, I have now shifted my focus to trading. And I even found a cool trading software for this
It makes sense to buy crypto while the prices are low. I'm sure the prices are bound to rise.
Yes. For me it's time to buy in again (DCA).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #39
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Please edit your post to remove the quoted SEO spam link. Thanks.....
      07-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #40
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Please edit your post to remove the quoted SEO spam link. Thanks.....
There's no link in my post. Maybe the one I quoted?

Found it
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614892.50
      07-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #41
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Interesting new feature, that we get to "vote" on potential spammers.
      07-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #42
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

lol this thread aged well
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 11:38 AM   #43
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Interesting new feature, that we get to "vote" on potential spammers.
Welcome to last week's news.....
      07-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #44
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWmen View Post
Bitcoin has crashed from $56000 to $15000

69000 to 17450. We've seen a lot of these bullshit DAOs unwind and the fallout has been impressive. Same with Celcius. 3AC has stabalized and their liquidation floor is somewhere around $4500 now so I don't think we'll see that.

Saw FTX buy Blockfi for nothing.