New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-25-2023, 02:52 PM   #23
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The problem is I'm a cheap ass adult. While those places have some nice looking stuff... it seems to be target at really rich adults or those who like spending $$ like it's going out of style.
West Elm and CB2 are not expensive. But decent stuff, buy it once and get it right. So much absolute cheap ass disposable shit or older stuff that should only be in the house of recent indian immigrants where notchy and detailed furniture is regarded as upper class.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2023, 03:10 PM   #24
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
constant sunlight on fine wood furniture should be avoided
We've had UV-blocking window film applied to the windows of the homes we've bought and have had no fading of furniture wood or fabric, wool carpets, or art works. We learned the hard way when over the course of a few years a portion of a nice carpet faded enough to notice.

The film does more than just block UV, but that's one of its more useful features.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2023, 03:46 PM   #25
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Pretty sure there was a post like this before but I can't find it and search is worthless.

Anyways I don't know much about furniture. Most of what we have now has come from outlets, ikea, craigslist and online junk. We have been in this house for 12 years and I'm finally in the mood to get rid of some of this junk and get some nicer stuff. The problem is I'm picky and cheap.

It's taken some time of looking at different stuff to get an idea of what we like. I THINK we like a lot of mid century modern stuff. When we've gone to the "regular" furniture stores like rooms to go etc I see very little stuff like this and don't like most of what I see.

I liked some of the stuff at a crate & barrel we went to but that's about it. So I guess my question is are there any places that sell this type of furniture that don't cost a fortune? And by fortune I mean not the type of place where a tiny side table costs $3k.
What is your budget - you'd have to figure that out first. Honestly, don't turn your back on a custom place, its cheaper than you think, or at least has been for me. Especially if you live close to Mennonites, or Amish, or whatever.

Most of our furniture (which was Ikea and other such stuff) we've now replaced with custom. We go to the woodworker, show him a picture of what we want, and he builds it. He just needs the picture and it comes out great. All solid wood, will last us a lifetime, and costs less than in store (assuming you are again looking at solid wood in store too - particle board doesn't count).

Just look for woodworking shops that do custom furniture nearby, look at reviews, or see if they have a showroom. Helps to cut costs if you order a bunch at the one time, generally get a better price overall.

I think one time we spent about 10-12K (CAD) but got a full bed frame with headboard, two side tables (all solid oak, no particle), I think there was a full size dresser in there too but can't remember, a full dining room table with two extensions and six chairs, and a coffee table for the living room.

And this will last us, and it looks great.
Appreciate 1