New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-11-2023, 12:59 PM   #573
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
We already worked from home 2 days per week, pre-COVID. Been full-time WFH since the OKC Thunder game that was canceled and then everything went crazy the next. They even closed our OKC at the end of 2021.

Our Senior VP has actually told us multiple times in all hands we have been more productive WFH and we need to take more time for ourselves.

I also work for a large company, underneath an even larger company. Currently in our quarterly All Hands, we hired 2,000 new employees in the last 6 months.

As to your last sentence, you're falling into the trap of thinking your experience is everyone's experience. We are so productive WFH, Ellison told us in 2020 that regardless what happens with COVID in the future we can WFH permanently and in 2021 they closed the OKC office because everyone said they'd rather work from home.
Man, you called me out again for the "your experience is not everyone's experience". Last week was CostCo....

I was trying to quality my opinion by saying this is my experience based on working for the large company I work for, not trying to speak for others. Thanks for keeping me honest though and sounds like you have a senior VP that gets it.
      01-11-2023, 01:30 PM   #574
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Man, you called me out again for the "your experience is not everyone's experience". Last week was CostCo....

I was trying to quality my opinion by saying this is my experience based on working for the large company I work for, not trying to speak for others. Thanks for keeping me honest though and sounds like you have a senior VP that gets it.
Haha no worries, just like I know my experience isn't the same people have working for big tech companies (which is VERY different than working for big manufacturing or defense contractors that I worked for in the past.)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 01:41 PM   #575
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha no worries, just like I know my experience isn't the same people have working for big tech companies (which is VERY different than working for big manufacturing or defense contractors that I worked for in the past.)
Is the company performing well overall? I do believe that helps with allowing more autonomy across how teams/employees are managed.

Our current reality is that we can no longer blame Covid or supply-chain issues for our revenue shortfalls. Meanwhile our competitors are growing and grabbing our market share and have shown strong recovery post-covid. The majority of these shortfalls are due to strategic decisions made prior to covid that we are paying for now; has nothing to do with employees not being in the office and our CEO is tone-deaf on the topic.
      01-11-2023, 02:11 PM   #576
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
I also work for a large global corporation under another even larger multinational corporation, in the defense industry. Naturally, the folks in operations worked right through COVID, but the SBU VPs have relative autonomy, so at site A, some have pushed for return to the office, at site B, they don't give two hoots. Overall though corporate has been supportive of WFH, not really making any efficiency/inefficiency arguments, just generally noting that we have been successful as a whole through COVID. Profits are good, bonuses are being paid. However, I have noticed a significant decrease of WFH jobs on the career site, most are now hybrid or on-site, even for the corporate/business support functions.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan1944.00
      01-11-2023, 03:19 PM   #577
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is the company performing well overall? I do believe that helps with allowing more autonomy across how teams/employees are managed.

Our current reality is that we can no longer blame Covid or supply-chain issues for our revenue shortfalls. Meanwhile our competitors are growing and grabbing our market share and have shown strong recovery post-covid. The majority of these shortfalls are due to strategic decisions made prior to covid that we are paying for now; has nothing to do with employees not being in the office and our CEO is tone-deaf on the topic.
I would say so, we keep adding "labels," ie new customers. And we hired 2,000 people in the last 6 months although it sounds like now that is going to be dramatically slowed or a hiring freeze likely for the rest of the fiscal year, July 1st. Revenue and profits continued to grow through COVID with more people doing shopping online and such.

I think this puts us around 13-14k employees?

With the owning company around 170k between all the different GBU's.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan1944.00
      01-12-2023, 02:00 PM   #578
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Curious on this topic: work-stress/pressure is self-induced.
      01-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #579
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely an interesting topic.

I think it's half true.... work-stress/pressure is 50% self-induced and 50% external factors (expectations/deadlines/politics/leadership/direct reports etc). But that also depends on field of work I'd imagine.

I just got out of a "war room" this morning where I spent half the meeting aligning teams through massive disconnect - the reason for this disconnect? recent reorgs without proper execution at the executive level. Tempers flair in those situations since it becomes a finger-pointing session of responsibilities and it's my job to make sure the teams align on where those responsibilities lie.

As for the other 50% that IS self-induced - yeah.... either you're not doing your job and missing deadlines and the pressure builds up, or you're overly dedicated to your job and sacrificing personal commitments.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2023, 09:44 AM   #580
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's a good question.

I worry because I've been through and/or missed lay offs at every company I've been at. And got hit 2 times with layoffs.

My fiance was just laid off on Thursday, they gave her a big salary to come in and get a bunch of new clients setup.........then hired some kids for half her salary and sent her packing.

"Because of budget issues"
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 02:28 PM   #581
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion... but....

Peanut butter M&Ms > peanut M&Ms > regular M&Ms

Name:  20230113_123842.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  659.1 KB

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 03:05 PM   #582
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion... but....

Peanut butter M&Ms > peanut M&Ms > regular M&Ms
Peanut M&Ms are my favorite M&Ms.

Favorite candy is Reese's Big Cups.

PS - my opinion is probably NOT unpopular.
      01-14-2023, 03:24 PM   #583
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
That's a good question.

I worry because I've been through and/or missed lay offs at every company I've been at. And got hit 2 times with layoffs.

My fiance was just laid off on Thursday, they gave her a big salary to come in and get a bunch of new clients setup.........then hired some kids for half her salary and sent her packing.

"Because of budget issues"
That's pretty disgusting, hope she lands on her feet. That's why I think it's funny/sad ppl give their all to employers (e.g. eat all meals there, even dinner and beyond, skipping personal life, basically living in the office, etc), screw them, cuz they won't hesitate to screw you if the bottom line says so. The ironic thing is that the ppl making those inhuman decisions don't realize that they are also expendable.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
ASAP10048.00
      01-15-2023, 02:14 AM   #584
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i

Not sure if it has been said or if you will come for my head, but it is ok to buy replacement parts from somewhere else besides the dealer.

Last edited by Serf27; 01-15-2023 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2023, 09:01 AM   #585
vbb
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
I think this is somewhat related to a few of the other opinions that have been circulated in this thread. I think as a whole, North American society has become much more vocal about classifying the things that make them uncomfortable as being wrong/unfair/hostile.

The whole employer/employee agreement in a salaried job is that the employer will give the employee assignments and tasks to accomplish within that work week. In theory, the compensation is not just for production, but also as a way to offset the stress/uncomfortable-ness of the work. The employer pays a salary for an end product, but also pays knowing that it might be stressful at times to produce that end product on time. If it were easy for just anyone to meet the deadlines, the salary would be lower.

So yes, I think a lot of employers ask for way too much to get accomplished in too short an amount of time. But I also think a lot of employees feel as if any work-related pressure is completely unfair, even though that's literally what they are being paid for. Everyone wants to get the best end of the deal... employers want to get great production for lower pay, and employees want great salaries for easy jobs. Neither should be getting what they want 100% of the time. But it is unreasonable to act like you should feel no work related stress at all, and I do think a lot of that is self-inflicted due to these unreasonable expectations.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 11:21 AM   #586
Roman
Private
Rep

Drives: GMC / Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Peanut M&Ms are my favorite M&Ms.

Favorite candy is Reese's Big Cups.

PS - my opinion is probably NOT unpopular.
The only thing even close to being as good as a Reese's Big Cup is their holiday edition candies like eggs and trees. And the only thing better than a Reese's egg is a Snickers egg.

Appreciate 1
Esteban42173.50
      01-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #587
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
The only thing even close to being as good as a Reese's Big Cup is their holiday edition candies like eggs and trees. And the only thing better than a Reese's egg is a Snickers egg.

I also love me some Cadbury Creme eggs.
Attached Images

01-15-2023, 12:01 PM   #588
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

I also think it is 50% true. I think a lot of stress is related to your environment and outside factors, like how stable your job is, how easily your co-workers are to get along with, political pressures within the office environment, etc. Not to mention the pace and general attitude of the work you do.

I manage the technology for one of the departments on a college campus. There are certain times that can be stressful or have pressure due to unplanned events that happen, time of the semester, working with individuals that are untrustworthy or corrupt, or having deadlines to meet. As a whole the job is not a high stress environment compared to say a hospital trauma center where it can be life and death, or a job where your income fluctuates depending on factors outside of your control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Not sure if it has been said or if you will come for my head, but it is ok to buy replacement parts from somewhere else besides the dealer.
I think unless someone owns a car under warranty, the dealer is the absolute worst place to take your car for repair. Most of the dealer techs are fresh out of school, and their training focuses on the cars that are brand new sitting on the lot, as well as the cars still within warranty. Most of the time they know absolutely nothing about anything beyond that scope. Granted I own two older vehicles because I like them, but even with new cars I've heard horror stories. Not saying all dealerships are bad, but they are a business, and many of their business principles involve upselling the customer on something they might not need.

The last time my E90 saw a dealer was for a recall, and I chuckled to myself as the techs looked for something they could sell me on, only to realize I take meticulous care of the car, it has no leaks, and the only thing they could try to sell me was a $1700 set of run flat tires since the Michelins I had on it were not factory run flats.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
CamasM3e933116.00
      01-15-2023, 12:19 PM   #589
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I think unless someone owns a car under warranty, the dealer is the absolute worst place to take your car for repair. Most of the dealer techs are fresh out of school, and their training focuses on the cars that are brand new sitting on the lot, as well as the cars still within warranty. Most of the time they know absolutely nothing about anything beyond that scope. Granted I own two older vehicles because I like them, but even with new cars I've heard horror stories. Not saying all dealerships are bad, but they are a business, and many of their business principles involve upselling the customer on something they might not need.

The last time my E90 saw a dealer was for a recall, and I chuckled to myself as the techs looked for something they could sell me on, only to realize I take meticulous care of the car, it has no leaks, and the only thing they could try to sell me was a $1700 set of run flat tires since the Michelins I had on it were not factory run flats.
The dealer is my go to for specialty nuts and bolts when I can’t wait for online orders and that’s pretty much it.

Another unpopular opinion is that you do not need a torque wrench for every single nut and bolt.
Guaranteed there are techs running down some bolts with a gun and calling it a day.

You can also start a bolt into the threads right from the gun and not cross thread anything. -A lot of people seem to think this is completely inappropriate, but it’s pretty easy not to cross thread, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 12:47 PM   #590
Gratefulm4
Rep

Drives: 2023 M4CX

Garage List
Talking

Here we go…

1. 2017-2021 forever changed how I view both “patriotism” and religion.

2. Spending an entire weekend (or multiple weekends) on the couch watching sports is not an ideal use of anyone’s time.

3. Parents have no business meddling in your marriage.

4. Cats are a$$h0les.

5. Horse Power does not equal exhilaration.

6. Nu Metal produced some of the best bands ever.

Last edited by Gratefulm4; 01-15-2023 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 03:40 PM   #591
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

Pizza crust tastes poor and is a waste of calories…I never eat it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 05:37 PM   #592
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Just because someone can quote some obscure or even popular passage or poem, etc, doesn't make them more intelligent or cultured...it just means they memorized that said passage/poem/etc.
Appreciate 1
Bruuuce341.50
      01-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #593
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
That's pretty disgusting, hope she lands on her feet. That's why I think it's funny/sad ppl give their all to employers (e.g. eat all meals there, even dinner and beyond, skipping personal life, basically living in the office, etc), screw them, cuz they won't hesitate to screw you if the bottom line says so. The ironic thing is that the ppl making those inhuman decisions don't realize that they are also expendable.
I was starting to get a little nervous about my own job seeing the Microsoft/Alphabet/Salesforce/Meta/Amazon layoffs.

But I read an article this morning on how they WAAAAAAY over hired between 2019 and last year. Amazon doubled in size, Meta 94%, Alphabet 57%, Microsoft 53%.

I'm still not 100% confident of anything, but we didn't way over hire like that.

I'm sure she will, she's very good at what she does. Her old job has already told her they'd be happy to have her back, but she isn't sure if she's willing to take the paycut to go back.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 04:20 PM   #594
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

If your predisposed towards having a mental illness weed can either trigger it or enhance it.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0