Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

In God We Trust sign in public schools

Not sure why this would be a problem, since it's on every dollar bill. The article says this excludes people of faiths other than Christian but God is a pretty universal term that is actually inclusive of at least Judaism, Islam and any religion that recognizes a higher deity.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/25/74490...signs-to-walls
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Cue the courts for yet another flying spaghetti monster lawsuit!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying...gious_disputes

IIRC, the phrase was not on our currency until the 1950's, probably in response to the "atheist" Soviets during the cold war.....
bimmer4561871.50
Now_Rudi6335.00

07-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

"God is a pretty universal term that is actually inclusive of at least Judaism, Islam and any religion that recognizes a higher deity." (From Bimmer456 post #1) (the only group I think that would have a complaint should be atheists)

This, every time something like this comes along I raise this very point. But if you are white or christian you should just shut up because of privilege blah blah blah.

We have the Human Rights code here in Canada, it basically outlaws discrimination and lists all the things that can be recognized as being discriminated against, the only group in Canada that isn't recognized is straight white males. Go figure.

Last edited by City Pig; 07-26-2019 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 5
Delta03117356.50
MKSixer15732.50
Now_Rudi6335.00
cmyx6go2376.50

07-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
"God is a pretty universal term that is actually inclusive of at least Judaism, Islam and any religion that recognizes a higher deity." (From Bimmer456 post #1) (the only group I think that would have a complaint should be atheists)

This, every time something like this comes along I raise this very point. But if you are white or christian you should just shut up because of privilege blah blah blah.

We have the Human Rights code here in Canada, it basically outlaws discrimination and lists all the things that can be recognized as being discriminated against, the only group in Canada that isn't recognized is straight white males. Go figure.
Well Lauren southern proved it was pretty easy to get an ID saying she was a man because she felt that way. I'm sure a white guy in north Mexico can say that he's a woman and be protected under the human rights code
Appreciate 1
City Pig6102.00

07-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
adc100
Major
Rep

Drives: 2018 Forester XT

I have mixed feelings on this. It will remain till nixed by Liberals when they take over. Supreme Court will pas on it since it is State initiated. And that could lead to removing these messages from buildings in Washington DC. The sign is looking for trouble though.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

What purpose does a sign like that serve in any public building?
Appreciate 3
BS_CS229.50
vreihen16800.00

07-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
DieselOG
Goin' Hard @ Hardee's
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d Msport

The people who will be most triggered by this probably couldn't point to South Dakota on a map

07-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Look - I swear people try and find things to get upset about in this country, because it is so great, that there is literally nothing to worry about for most folks.

I am a devout Christian, strong conservative, and typically vote Republican.

That said, I don't think that "In God We Trust" should be on any public building, any public school, our money, or anything that is funded by the government. The government has no place in religion.
      07-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Look - I swear people try and find things to get upset about in this country, because it is so great, that there is literally nothing to worry about for most folks.

That said, I don't think that "In God We Trust" should be on any public building, any public school, our money, or anything that is funded by the government. The government has no place in religion.
Preach!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent12413.50

07-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep

Drives: A German Car

Quote:

Agreed.

I want government out of religion and religion out of government.
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
What purpose does a sign like that serve in any public building?
Promoting one brand of superstition over all others?

Christianity is losing market share in the USA, and IIRC islam will be the majority religion in our country by 2050. I'll be laughing at the irony of the same people making an argument that this is a good idea now revolting over "In Allah we trust" all over the place.....
      07-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
adc100
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
'll be laughing at the irony of the same people making an argument that this is a good idea now revolting over "In Allah we trust" all over the place.....
Well dream on. "In God We Trust" is codified by Congress. And it does not signify Christian Bod: I would expect that you are ignorant of that fact though.
Appreciate 1
lakefront193.00

07-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #13
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Well dream on. "In God We Trust" is codified by Congress. And it does not signify Christian Bod: I would expect that you are ignorant of that fact though.
You realize that "Allah" is in reference to the exact same deity, right? It's simply the Arabic word for "God".

You know what word Coptic Christians in Egypt use to refer to the Christian God?
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye1005.00

07-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
gunsmoker
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Not sure why this would be a problem, since it's on every dollar bill. The article says this excludes people of faiths other than Christian but God is a pretty universal term that is actually inclusive of at least Judaism, Islam and any religion that recognizes a higher deity.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/25/74490...signs-to-walls
It actually excludes only atheists, but that's not a bad thing. This way I'll know to not send my kids to schools like that so they don't get brainwashed with some prehistoric BS.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #15
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep

Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

Quote:

But does religion have a place in government?
And who do people automatically assume anything to do with God has to do with religion. God and religion are NOT one and the same
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #16
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
And who do people automatically assume anything to do with God has to do with religion. God and religion are NOT one and the same
It all has to do with someone pushing their unsolicited superstitions on others.

Religions can't all be right...but they can all be WRONG.....
      07-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #17
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It all has to do with someone pushing their unsolicited superstitions on others.
I highly doubt you know what unsolicited and superstition really are, cause if you did that would not be your response to my comment

Quote:
Religions can't all be right...but they can all be WRONG.....

True, but AGAIN, God and RELIGION are not the same things, and not every mention of God is a mention of religion, so relax

people like you should reject all cash payments and demand that you be paid or do business other ways because the government is using its money to push "unsolicited superstitions!"

HEELLPPPP big government promotes religion by way of Cash!!!!!!!!!!!! Helpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #18
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
HEELLPPPP big government promotes religion by way of Cash!!!!!!!!!!!! Helpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If money is the root of all evil, why is that guy on TV telling me that God wants all of mine?

Freedom FROM religion isn't too much to ask.....
      07-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #19
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If money is the root of all evil, why is that guy on TV telling me that God wants all of mine?

If you had spent some time to learn about religion, then you'd know there is no religion that teaches that money is the root of all evil.
Specific to Christianity, the apostle Paul said in speaking specifically in 1 timothy 6:10 that the LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL KINDS OF EVIL.

The text does not mean every evil is associated with money. he was addressing FASLE teachers, exactly like the one you make mention of, and because these teachers know people like you exist that don't study (even things you disagree with you should still learn about) they carry out an evil of trying to deceive you to get your money.

Some of you need to learn before you talk.

and no, you will not have freedom FROM religion. to quote mark twain: "man is a religiousanimal"

to get rid of religion, then you'd need to destroy the entirety of mankind, yourself included

Last edited by avantegardestyle; 07-28-2019 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye1005.00

07-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #20
adc100
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
You realize that "Allah" is in reference to the exact same deity, right? It's simply the Arabic word for "God".
Yes I realize that and its sillier to equate religious writing on a Government building or money (which was passed by act of Congress) with the Establishment of Religion clause.

Much ado about nothing..move along folks nothing to see here.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #21
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Yes I realize that and its sillier to equate religious writing on a Government building or money (which was passed by act of Congress) with the Establishment of Religion clause.

Much ado about nothing..move along folks nothing to see here.
I will become concerned when religious doctrine is being taught in schools, or when church services are being held. until then, much ado.....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #22
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:

Freedom from religion pushed by a federal government is justifiable. Freedom from religion period, is abhorrent and is frequently what most rational people are against.

Whilst a federal government should never proffer to the general public that one religion is better than another, no person of this country as a right to not have other citizens be able to enjoy the religion of their choosing.