Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #45
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselunlimited View Post
Unions are the equivalent to a blood tick.

They latch on, slowly feeding off you, leaving behind toxins and disease that can potentially kill.

I've dealt directly with the USW union boss at an Alcoa Alumini facility, and seeing what type of leverage they had was crazy.

Personally would hear and see him talk shit to the plant operations boss all the time. They're institutions established under the cloak of workers rights, all while attempting to take control of the company, and maximize compensation for less work load!
Yeah, how dare people get compensated for their labor!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #46
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
The article mentions quite a few union workers getting inflated wages.

"
Part of the reason for those high labor costs, claim waterfront regulators and federal prosecutors, include $117 million in lucrative pay packages that go to more than 400 longshoremen in New Jersey and New York, some of whom are never, ever officially off the clock, every day of the year."

No im still in the same career. We just don't use union workers anymore. Costs are down, quality and production is up.
Thatís about less than 300,000 per person, but how is that bad? Did they work for it? Was it earned?

If that was part of their contract, whatís the problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #47
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
Yeah, how dare people get compensated for their labor!!
I don't think anyone will argue about compensation for labor... the issue lies in redundancy and excess of employees and the decline in quality of work after a certain point. How many times have you seen a Union job where two guys are breaking their asses working hard, one guy doing the bare minimum and two guys doing the absolute least or nothing with three out of the five hoping for a minor injury to get the coveted disability vacation. On the flip side say a small independent company would send out the right amount and the workers typically do the best they can so they dont get fired or have to redo a wo/ticket for free. Not say there isn't a fair share of lazy schlubs within that group as well but far less when you know you can't get fired and get paid for redoing a poorly or improperly done job.

Quote:
If that was part of their contract, what’s the problem?
If only that mentality worked for other industries... Haven't seen any "occupy unions" protests for excessive pay and bonuses.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #48
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep

Drives: A German Car

Vote with your pocket book. Every movie produced for major studios is a union product. If you hate unions so much, stop watching films and tv.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #49
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Majority of SAG individuals work for scale and not exactly in the same league as someone getting $400k + benefits to wash trucks. There are many industries that have Unions if boycott them what would be left? No phones? No utilities? Where does it end? Can't exactly boycott an entity that has no competition to give business too.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #50
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I don't think anyone will argue about compensation for labor... the issue lies in redundancy and excess of employees and the decline in quality of work after a certain point. How many times have you seen a Union job where two guys are breaking their asses working hard, one guy doing the bare minimum and two guys doing the absolute least or nothing with three out of the five hoping for a minor injury to get the coveted disability vacation. On the flip side say a small independent company would send out the right amount and the workers typically do the best they can so they dont get fired or have to redo a wo/ticket for free. Not say there isn't a fair share of lazy schlubs within that group as well but far less when you know you can't get fired and get paid for redoing a poorly or improperly done job.

If only that mentality worked for other industries... Haven't seen any "occupy unions" protests for excessive pay and bonuses.
None of that is my problem and sounds like a management problem. Make better deals and run a better business.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #51
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

How can one run a better business if the Unions tie your hands? Management cannot fire people in a Union very easily or even for not doing work so it is not a Management problem. Cannot change contracts without huge Union approval or threats of walk-outs/strikes. See how this is an issue? The people on the job sight know the issues but cannot do anything about them. In end it is all our problems because the large costs Unions create are not absorbed by the corporations but by the end-user/rate-payer. Which is all of us. Either way this is a debate that could go in circles and this isn't depression era USA. I am all about being paid for performance not potential. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should be getting paid for it but you should when you are doing it and doing it well.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #52
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
How can one run a better business if the Unions tie your hands? Management cannot fire people in a Union very easily or even for not doing work so it is not a Management problem. Cannot change contracts without huge Union approval or threats of walk-outs/strikes. See how this is an issue? The people on the job sight know the issues but cannot do anything about them. In end it is all our problems because the large costs Unions create are not absorbed by the corporations but by the end-user/rate-payer. Which is all of us. Either way this is a debate that could go in circles and this isn't depression era USA. I am all about being paid for performance not potential. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should be getting paid for it but you should when you are doing it and doing it well.
Canít tie your hand if you donít make shit deals.
Germany is almost 100% union, the US was as well, and we had some of the highest and best standard of living for our citizens.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #53
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Canít tie your hand if you donít make shit deals.
Germany is almost 100% union, the US was as well, and we had some of the highest and best standard of living for our citizens.
the unions dont negotiate anything other than shit deals. they used to be great, but years and years of unchecked corruption and greed has turned them into something that doesnt resemble anything of old.

like i said, one of my previous jobs had union contracts.

once the 1st contract was up, union wanted an even cushier contract for themselves, we said no, and the union workers walked out and went on strike. needless to say, we didnt go union again.

the unions hold the power and throw their weight around to get what they want.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast3455.00

04-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #54
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

https://www.empirecenter.org/publica...l-hike-at-mta/

https://www.seethroughny.net/payrolls/113583723

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...re-hikes-spike

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #55
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

An LA firefighter worked more hours than exist... LOL.
https://reason.com/2018/05/21/firefi...overtime-by-w/
Appreciate 0