New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #23
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

As someone who has owned iPhones for a decade+, there is no shortage of chargers in my household. I have a shoebox of chargers at this point.

I’m with whoever mentioned green texts
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13389.50
      07-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #24
No one
Major
Rep

Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I’m with whoever mentioned green texts
What?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:22 AM   #25
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

This guy has already settled this...

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #26
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
That map is hilarious. I doubt that is actually the case considering a good 90% of my contacts have iphones. I've used both Android (my work phone) and my iPhone. Both are good and bad in different ways, I've had an iphone for years so I prefer that.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13389.50
      07-26-2021, 08:08 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

What do you guys mean with green texts?

Also, some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #28
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
What do you guys mean with green texts?

Also, some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.
iPhone, for some stupid reason, shows any text message sent from an android inside a green bubble instead of the normal blue bubble.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
No one1037.00
      07-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #29
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
iPhone, for some stupid reason, shows any text message sent from an android inside a green bubble instead of the normal blue bubble.
How else are you suppose to know you are speaking with a lesser person??
Appreciate 4
gatorfast4991.50
pz6193277.00
      07-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #30
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Not always good to a business to get a large part of the market, bad for competition.

Android or Ios software are the no 1 reason for phone obsolescence and phone over-consumption. e-waste is a freaking big issue right now. Because they a phone specifics and not platform specific.

i.e. Win 10 can be installed on any PC, almost any year, and can technically run on 512mb ram. If you can't run it? : do a virtual machine...

Android is specific on one brand and one model, thanks to the boot loader and large selection of hardware. Unless you're into reading post on XDA, risking flashing and brick your phone, you're stock with the 2-3 year manufacturer updates.

Anyway, having both, active on helping devs on both platform, android still my fav, more flexible, more options, more custom, more hack, less ads. iOS is more and more flexible, but removing ads is a pain, and having a aftermarket store still a on-going project.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #31
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
The biggest reason I still have an iphone is imessage. There are plenty of times throughout the day where I have wifi but no cell service due to the buildings I'm working in. I find Whatsapp and Facebook messenger to basically be inferior attempts at imessage.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13389.50
stein_325i25064.00
      07-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #32
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

How lucky are we all to be able to be typing our responses on our blazing fast amazing laptops or on our modern cell phones, connected to high-speed Internet, and "discuss" the pros and cons of iPhone vs Android.

It wasn't that long ago when mobile phones were more basic and a tiny bit heavier. Looking forward from those days, the cell phones we have today are simply amazing, regardless of operating system.

The best one to me is whatever is in you hand. We will gravitate to what works for us.

For me personally, its an iPhone 12 but I prefer Windows 10 laptop.

We are lucky to have the technology we have available to us today at such cheap prices.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #33
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335xi

i have both a samsung android (personal) and an iphone (work).

what I always tell people who ask me which i prefer is, iphone is good if you have all apple products (mac, ipad, etc.) and if you want a simple phone or you are tech dumb (like my parents).

Android has had the better features imo (google maps vs imaps, swipe text, multi window using, etc.) but you can add all those to the iphone, and they are starting to add those features into the IOS stock. You can make either phone act like the other if you really want to.

The one thing I will say is i prefer the IOS speech to text button location on the keyboard over the android, but the accuracy has been better on the android.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #34
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
Not always good to a business to get a large part of the market, bad for competition.

Android or Ios software are the no 1 reason for phone obsolescence and phone over-consumption. e-waste is a freaking big issue right now. Because they a phone specifics and not platform specific.

i.e. Win 10 can be installed on any PC, almost any year, and can technically run on 512mb ram. If you can't run it? : do a virtual machine...

Android is specific on one brand and one model, thanks to the boot loader and large selection of hardware. Unless you're into reading post on XDA, risking flashing and brick your phone, you're stock with the 2-3 year manufacturer updates.

Anyway, having both, active on helping devs on both platform, android still my fav, more flexible, more options, more custom, more hack, less ads. iOS is more and more flexible, but removing ads is a pain, and having a aftermarket store still a on-going project.
Windows 10 with current updates on a system with 512mb of memory? How would anyone get any work done on this?

I mean, you could technically install a tow hitch on a 2014 BMW i3 to haul a boat.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #35
NoMoreVauxhalls
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
I also use both as I'm in a similar situation to you - I work in the computer security space for one of the main security vendors, and am actually working on a project now for both Android and iOS devices. So I have the pleasure of using both platforms. But, for me, iOS is what I choose to use as my daily driver.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13389.50
      07-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #36
No one
Major
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Well, that actually means those messages are delivered using different services: SMSes (no matter from iPhone or Android) are green, iMessages are blue. From the user perspective, this means:

1. Green texts use cellular networking to be delivered, while blue texts come through the Internet (it can be available through either cellular "mobile data" or Wi-Fi): https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-sms-mms-iphone-2000247;

2. iMessages must be readable only by the end recipient (end-to-end enchryption, you must solely depend on trusting Apple for that ) while SMSes use cellular transport encryption only (that's they can't be "sniffed" from the air like unsafe/public Wi-Fi communication, but the service provider can read them and make them read by whoever they choose): https://www.quora.com/Are-SMS-text-messages-encrypted;

3. The usage cost differs as well (if not obvious from above).

Not knowing what (and why?) you are using makes you a perfect Apple's dedicated customer. "Stupid is as stupid does."

Last edited by No one; 07-26-2021 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Added the third consideration.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13389.50
      07-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #37
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Well, that actually means those messages are delivered using different services: SMSes (no matter from iPhone or Android) are green, iMessages are blue. From the user perspective, this means:

1. Green texts use cellular networking to be delivered, while blue texts come through the Internet (it can be available through either cellular "mobile data" or Wi-Fi): https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-sms-mms-iphone-2000247;

2. iMessages must be readable only by the end recipient (end-to-end enchryption, you must solely depend on trusting Apple for that ) while SMSes use cellular transport encryption only (that's they can't be "sniffed" from the air like unsafe/public Wi-Fi communication, but the service provider can read them and make them read by whoever they choose): https://www.quora.com/Are-SMS-text-messages-encrypted;

3. The usage cost differs as well (if not obvious from above).

Not knowing what (and why?) you are using makes you a perfect Apple's dedicated customer. "Stupid is as stupid does."
What is your opinion on Apple data handling/security?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #38
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2016 BMW M4

This thread won't go anywhere, same as Xbox vs playstation...
I had an iphone, the icons were bright and child like. I didn't like it. I couldn't easily download music on it and it drove me nuts, I gave it away.
I am happy with my pixel phone for business, cheap and does what I need.

People can choose whatever they want. Who cares really?
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12792.50
      07-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #39
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
What is your opinion on Apple data handling/security?
Just none. I don't have to study/evaluate it as a job responsibility and as a customer I considered iPhone/Apple and rejected them forever (no re-consideration when choosing my current phone recently) a decade ago.

What I found absolutely unacceptable, insulting, was the Apple's policy/"manners" in treating their customers in a most insolent way. In particular, assigning to the services provider and requesting a payment card just to access their store (and something else, perhaps). I don't care what outstanding technologies they offer as long as they want to fuck me in the holes I don't even know I have. No deal.

I've heard of data leaks, of course. I prefer to handle my data myself. That is, I absolutely hate to share anything about myself unnecessarily: they just can't lose/misuse what they don't have, I like it simple/easy for them and myself (in particular ). The currently popular practice of sucking personal data (name, phone number, etc.) for no practical (in supplying the services requested) reason is very annoying, indeed.

Regarding SMS/iMessage security differences, I don't think I need the end-to-end security any badly: I don't communicate top secrets, I don't feel paranoid. I am fine with SMS for the regular use. I didn't even think of that before. It would be nice to have it but I can do without it for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #40
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
That map is hilarious. I doubt that is actually the case considering a good 90% of my contacts have iphones. I've used both Android (my work phone) and my iPhone. Both are good and bad in different ways, I've had an iphone for years so I prefer that.
It is true though, the vast majority of out there are Android, especially leaving the US. Apple really just dominates as a single maker in the US. Samsung is the only real competitor on their level of size/cost but Android encompasses everything all the way from a $2000 Galaxy Flip or whatever down to those $100 burners sold in bodegas.

If youre also including devices not tied to Google Play Services it would go even more extreme. Android is basically just an open source UNIX like OS that can be thrown on almost anything and skinned for your own device.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #41
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Reality is most of the world cannot afford $1000 phones. Android dominates cheaper phone brands.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #42
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Regarding SMS/iMessage security differences, I don't think I need the end-to-end security any badly: I don't communicate top secrets, I don't feel paranoid. I am fine with SMS for the regular use. I didn't even think of that before. It would be nice to have it but I can do without it for now.
FYI that is becoming less and less relevant, at least in the US. The major players and carriers in the US caved and signed on to use RCS. Non-proprietary imessage essentially.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #43
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
How lucky are we all to be able to be typing our responses on our blazing fast amazing laptops or on our modern cell phones, connected to high-speed Internet, and "discuss" the pros and cons of iPhone vs Android.
It is pretty amazing. I remember when I first even chatted live with someone in Japan, mind blowing. First real (non car powered tank of a) cell phone, etc.

Now we have tiny devices in our pockets that have capabilities I couldnt even imagine back in the day despite my access to to 20k+ server hardware.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #44
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Appreciate 0