New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Upgrading/buying?
Yes - iPhone Xs 21 20.00%
Yes - iPhone Xs Max 21 20.00%
Yes - iPhone Xr 5 4.76%
No 24 22.86%
F*ck NO 34 32.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

10-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #177
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I don't think Android phones is junk.. but I also don't think the majority of people care to customize their phones. Most people just care about it running reliably and able to use it for a long time.

With iOS 12, they just updated every iPhone on the market for the past 6 years. Not only does the update modernize the OS and security of all these iPhones but it increases the performance of these old phones. That's why there's people running around with 6 year old iphones with the latest iOS version - they're still viable and fast enough by today's standards.

Has Google done that? Android is so fragmented, it requires each manufacturer to release an update individually for each phone model. Long term device support is almost non existent. They have no incentive to go and rewrite their OS so old phones can run faster. They'd rather you go and buy a new phone.

https://bgr.com/2018/08/03/iphone-vs...tes-still-lag/
Yea one part I will agree with is that if you get a middle of the road Android you have to basically hope and pray they will make an update for your specific model sooner than later. But in my experience, as long as you don't have a very outdated model, or the cheapest option out there, you'll get the updates eventually. And more importantly, i've never had a major issue on an Android that I need an update THAT bad. It was more just the cool factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #178
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
wow, you can chose how to display your icons on your phones GUI. how exciting.

maybe we arent sheep. maybe we dont give a shit about UI customization. maybe we dont give a shit about having 50 different SD cards to store all the useless junk we probably shouldnt have stored on our phones in the first place. maybe we dont give a shit about a 3.5mm jack because the adapter apple provided us works just fine. it isnt that we dont know about all of your amazing "features", its that we really dont care.

its funny how android nerds always whine about apple users having a false sense of superiority when all they do is walk around calling apple users sheep.
You are the very definition of "iSheep", LOL

You have absolutely NO CLUE what you are talking about. You also have the exact mentality that Apple feeds off of.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #179
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Quote:

maybe we arent sheep. maybe we dont give a shit about UI customization. maybe we dont give a shit about having 50 different SD cards to store all the useless junk we probably shouldnt have stored on our phones in the first place. maybe we dont give a shit about a 3.5mm jack because the adapter apple provided us works just fine. it isnt that we dont know about all of your amazing "features", its that we really dont care.

its funny how android nerds always whine about apple users having a false sense of superiority when all they do is walk around calling apple users sheep.

You have absolutely NO CLUE what you are talking about. You also have the exact mentality that Apple feeds off of.
That's a lot of anger about an operating system.
Appreciate 2
ONE1125.00
      10-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #180
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You buy Charmin?! Don't you know that they prey on your stupidity and only fools wipe their ass with Charmin? Open your eyes!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #181
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You buy Charmin?! Don't you know that they prey on your stupidity and only fools wipe their ass with Charmin? Open your eyes!
Charmin does not feature "aloe" like my brand
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #182
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Does your brand allow you to customize the patterns?
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      10-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #183
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
You seriously must be joking. I'm not doing all the work for you. Go compare any high end Android's screen to the new iPhones. The iPhone is clearly behind. Who do you think makes the screens for iPhones! No clue on battery life issue either lol, clearly you are commenting on a subject you did zero reading on.

Here you go, i took the liberty of pulling one article on it for you, it took about 5 seconds: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#a82662f3e1ac

Back to the first point, here's an exerpt from this very article for you, just to show how EVERYWHERE these 2 particular points are:
You’re wrong, sorry. The iPhone XS Max was tested as best ever. PPI is meaningless after a certain resolution, namely after 326PPI. Contrast, color accuracy, brightness, etc are far more important than pure pixel density, but try to keep up.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-...ews-28161.html

Ultimately, DisplayMate awarded the iPhone XS Max's screen a score of A+ and said that it's the best smartphone display on the market. Better yet for Apple, its display performed "considerably better" than any other competing device, including Samsung's Galaxy Note 9 and last year's iPhone X.

Before you just dismiss DisplayMate as meaningless, remember the numbers are objective and measurable.. Don’t just tell me to “look at Android screens” and I’ll see iPhone screens are clearly behind.”

Everyone knows Samsung and now LG make Apple displays. Apple is too smart to be in such a terrible, capital intensive business like hardware manufacturing. They use suppliers for most of the components, but the key is Apple designs and demands high tolerances on those parts. They calibrate displays and spec out each component to their standards. That why it’s so funny the Apple designed Samsung display is better than the Samsung designed Samsung display!

Apple makes the most color accurate displays, period.

You based your entire battery life argument on a video from PhoneBuff, whose channel I’m subscribed to, so I’ve already seen the video...before you even referenced it.

It’s one test from a YouTuber in an unrealistic scenario. That doesn’t consider idle time, like you’d have in a normal day. iOS isn’t optimizing battery for these stupid scenarios, but it does for a normal day. Just doing continuous tasks until the battery is drained is totally pointless. Who cares?

Your sources are horrible.

But if you like PhoneBuff so much, did you see the iPhone crush the competition in his speed test?

iPhones contain THE best mobile silicon in the industry with the first 7nm chips, Apple is crushing the competition in software (as usual) and now hardware too. Before you say mobile processing power doesn’t matter, it’s what makes 4 year old iPhones still work well and hold their value. It’s also going to be the future of mobile computing so the advancements Apple has made will give them an advantage when smartphones need to process the environment for AR.

I own thousands of Apple shares, so I have to understand the industry. I know every single point you could possible make against Apple, like your weak battery argument.

In the end, none of that matters. Apple is crushing Android because they have the ecosystem, security, support, design, hardware and SWAG that is the envy of the smartphone world. People don’t care about 8GB of RAM. They want their phone to work well, be easy to use, take great pictures, be fast, and look cool. iPhone has the whole package.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 10-19-2018 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 12:59 AM   #184
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Good stuff. I hate all of them equally especially when you have to manage both of them through some type of mobile device solution. Worldwide sales Androids is ahead of iOS.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #185
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Shit I neglect my thread for a few days and come back to an OS war. Didn't expect that on Bimmerpost lol.
      10-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #186
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post

Good stuff. I hate all of them equally especially when you have to manage both of them through some type of mobile device solution. Worldwide sales Androids is ahead of iOS.
Well considering one phone and one brand is Ios and virtually hundreds of phones and numerous manufacturers are Android (even ones that are $90), i'd say that's a fair assumption.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #187
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M240i

Apple Loop: iPhone XS Max Fails Test, Serious App Store Scams, iPhone XS Beaten By iPhone XR

http://flip.it/6_.CEG
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #188
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post

That's only because most Android phones in the market are under $200, where Apple doesnt compete. Apple makes over 85% of the profits in the industry because they own the high end market.

Apple sold 220M iPhone in the last year. No single Android phone model even comes close, including Galaxy S models, Notes, Pixels, LG, OnePlus, etc.
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      10-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #189
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Apple Loop: iPhone XS Max Fails Test, Serious App Store Scams, iPhone XS Beaten By iPhone XR

http://flip.it/6_.CEG
Ewan Spence has always been an Apple hater. He's lazy and takes one source without verifying it or thinking critically and runs with it. That's exactly what he did in his battery statements.

I've even had to email him for inaccuracies in his writing about Apple. There is a mistake in the article you just posted from him too.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #190
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
as much as i wanted to keep using my 7 until it blew up, the screen cracked after a drop and the comms module is fried so i have a brick instead of a phone.

im honestly on the edge; idk if i want to get another 7 to save some money, but they don't sell jet black anymore, if i should "upgrade" and get a 8 or get a used X and call it a day or just get a 256gb Xs. Xr seemed like a good proposition but at the size of the plus phones it's out of the question i think its too big
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #191
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
I really just completed testing on the Xs Max for work and have to say it’s a worthy upgrade over the 6/7/8+ series. Those three devices are largely the same....yes one is slightly faster etc than the next but essentially the same form factor, OS and if you didn’t tell a typical person which one they were holding they wouldn’t know save for wireless charging on the 8+.

FaceID is so fast that most times was left to wonder if it was actually checking for my face. It was almost as if there was no lock screen. The entire authentication process is very fast, much faster than TouchID. And the screen is noticeably bigger and more colorful too. Can’t speak for photos and iOS12 is essentially the same across the board. I can’t say I’d pay $999 but we get them for $699 through Verizon.

I have a lot of heavy usage on Fridays. So much so that I got a mophie case for my 8+, but am seeing that I still have 50+% at the end of the work day with the Xs vs needing to use low power mode on the 8+ if I didn’t have the case battery.

What’s also very nice is that the Xs Max is just slightly smaller, I mean by millimeters, but the screen is larger since the bezel is thin due to not being needed for TouchID. I also noticed that the sides seem to be grippy despite being black chrome. Not sure what the material is but I always had the issue with the older phones being too slippery and requiring a case I didn’t want to use.

Last edited by c1pher; 10-20-2018 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
Kyngofpop676.00
________4158.50
ASAP10131.00
      10-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #192
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I voted XS MAX. I do miss the bigger screen fro my old 6 Plus when I upgraded to the X. My X is still in immaculate shape though, so I might sell it and just go out of pocket a couple hundred for the XS MAX.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0