New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-25-2022, 07:44 PM   #199
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Twitter and Facebook are huge assets when it comes to "messaging", so if you control the platform, you control the message. We've seen absolute evidence of that [suppression] on both of the aforementioned formats and I don't really think that is debatable.
Yes and no, I think that's a hard conversation to have on this medium and easier debated face to face if that makes sense.

My basic point is that yes FB and Twitter have had a huge impact on messaging and has certainly helped both sides politically for better or worse. The digital medium and the power of it are out of the bag though. I have no doubt as FB and Twitter continue to fade there will be plenty of other to take their places. Neither do anything that isn't easily copied, the hard part is getting people to switch, but as we've seen plenty are willing to based on a bunch of different reasons.
The TruthSocial/HiveSocial/etc. applications have managed to obtain a following, but nothing like Twitter and Facebook. I suppose we shall see how it all shakes out over the next 12-24 months, but it will be very difficult to unseat the status quo social media giants. It's like somebody trying to compete with Bimmerpost (…which more or less toppled every other BMW forum in its path). That's a huge, nearly insurmountable mountain to climb.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #200
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

Too many people are spewing too many opinions leveraging nothing more than presumptions. Everywhere.

The man is certainly successful and did not get to where he is today by sheer luck…the recent disdain for him is almost comical. If he stuck to EVs most everyone would be praising him for helping the environment and creating ‘cool’ cars.

Regarding Twitter, the severance packages were more than generous and employees were given several ultimatums. I really fail to see where the disconnect is here.

Elon is cleaning and restructuring Twitter with the gloves off. Do you think you’d do any different if a significant portion of your net worth was just used to purchase an investment?

Again, everyone loves to be a critic with nothing more than headlines and articles that often don’t paint the full picture. Not directed to anyone in this thread in particular, but just tired of hearing this negative narrative 24/7.

Don’t believe everything you read as you’re missing substantial facts and are not privy to the information leveraged for decision making. As an unaffiliated party, it’s best to see where Twitter and its current employees are in 6-12mo and draw your management conclusions then.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan24973.00
________4158.50
x622950.00
      11-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #201
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
The TruthSocial/HiveSocial/etc. applications have managed to obtain a following, but nothing like Twitter and Facebook. I suppose we shall see how it all shakes out over the next 12-24 months, but it will be very difficult to unseat the status quo social media giants. It's like somebody trying to compete with Bimmerpost (…which more or less toppled every other BMW forum in its path). That's a huge, nearly insurmountable mountain to climb.
Also yes and no. Many companies looked like they’d never disappear, especially traditional media giants (newspapers etc) that are hanging on by a string now.

Kodak, the digital camera will never catch on.

BP will have their own problems soon. Some we’ve talked about in the other thread and the death of the auto enthusiast.

Will definitely see. I think truth social is just completely mis-managed and obviously targeting a very specific portion of the market.

Will be also interesting to see if these worthless people he laid off don’t get together and make better version of Twitter. See it happen all the time in business.

Even Musk admits this is completely out of his wheelhouse.

Last edited by minn19; 11-25-2022 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #202
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post
Too many people are spewing too many opinions leveraging nothing more than presumptions. Everywhere.

The man is certainly successful and did not get to where he is today by sheer luck…the recent disdain for him is almost comical. If he stuck to EVs most everyone would be praising him for helping the environment and creating ‘cool’ cars.

Regarding Twitter, the severance packages were more than generous and employees were given several ultimatums. I really fail to see where the disconnect is here.

Elon is cleaning and restructuring Twitter with the gloves off. Do you think you’d do any different if a significant portion of your net worth was just used to purchase an investment?

Again, everyone loves to be a critic with nothing more than headlines and articles that often don’t paint the full picture. Not directed to anyone in this thread in particular, but just tired of hearing this negative narrative 24/7.

Don’t believe everything you read as you’re missing substantial facts and are not privy to the information leveraged for decision making. As an unaffiliated party, it’s best to see where Twitter and its current employees are in 6-12mo and draw your management conclusions then.
On both sides of the debate here, everyone is making assumptions, as no one (even Musk) knows how it will turn out.

The funny/ironic thing is most of the people praising Musk in this thread are very anti EV and really don’t think there are major problems with the environment that need to be fixed/saved. Many have also made the argument and may be correct that EVs are worse for the environment.

Politics does indeed make strange bedfellows.
Appreciate 5
KRS_SN13430.00
Llarry15397.00
chris7197331.50
      11-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #203
FXMR
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
This is an underrated fact. Personally, I don’t love Elon but I don’t hate him. I’m more interested to see where Twitter ends up from a case study perspective. I’ll happily read about the nitty gritty details later and whoever is at the helm is moot to me.

I am so exhausted of hearing never ending opinions from newly distressed/restructuring professionals. Keep in mind most of these were previously foreign affair professionals (Ukraine) and before that epidemiologists (COVID).
Appreciate 7
minn1914012.00
Sedan_Clan24973.00
________4158.50
Joachim328.00
      11-25-2022, 08:25 PM   #204
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMR View Post
Quote:
This is an underrated fact. Personally, I don't love Elon but I don't hate him. I'm more interested to see where Twitter ends up from a case study perspective. I'll happily read about the nitty gritty details later and whoever is at the helm is moot to me.

I am so exhausted of hearing never ending opinions from newly distressed/restructuring professionals. Keep in mind most of these were previously foreign affair professionals (Ukraine) and before that epidemiologists (COVID).

I LOL'd big time. #facts
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      11-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #205
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
On both sides of the debate here, everyone is making assumptions, as no one (even Musk) knows how it will turn out.

The funny/ironic thing is most of the people praising Musk in this thread are very anti EV and really don’t think there are major problems with the environment that need to be fixed/saved. Many have also made the argument and may be correct that EVs are worse for the environment.

I'm not sure praising is the right word. To me praising sounds like everyone is saying Musk is the best. At most the "pro" Musk people here are just stating he is doing stuff that is sop when companies get acquired. FB laid off like 11k people, amazon laid off like 10k... why no outrage over those? Why isn't Zuck or Besos the worst people on the planet? Because that's business in those cases.

Also we need to seperate Musks business acumen from his personal traits. The fact that he's the richest man in the world is IMO evidence that he is good at business. That does not mean he's a nice guy or a great father or good at chess or anything else. It means when it comes to making money he is obviously skilled at it... because he's done it.

Considering the thread is about his business deal accuqiring twitter that's what I feel everyone who is "pro" Musk is judging him on.
Appreciate 5
minn1914012.00
Sedan_Clan24973.00
RickFLM410954.50
________4158.50
      11-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #206
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm not sure praising is the right word. To me praising sounds like everyone is saying Musk is the best. At most the "pro" Musk people here are just stating he is doing stuff that is sop when companies get acquired. FB laid off like 11k people, amazon laid off like 10k... why no outrage over those? Why isn't Zuck or Besos the worst people on the planet? Because that's business in those cases.

Also we need to seperate Musks business acumen from his personal traits. The fact that he's the richest man in the world is IMO evidence that he is good at business. That does not mean he's a nice guy or a great father or good at chess or anything else. It means when it comes to making money he is obviously skilled at it... because he's done it.

Considering the thread is about his business deal accuqiring twitter that's what I feel everyone who is "pro" Musk is judging him on.
FWIW, I’m not a Bezos or Zuck fan either.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #207
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
I'm neutral. Just because I defend(ed) his actions/decisions as it pertains to Twitter doesn't mean I'm pro-Musk. I'm looking at the situation objectively.
Fair enough, I try to keep a neutral option myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 05:52 AM   #208
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
FB laid off like 11k people, amazon laid off like 10k... why no outrage over those? Why isn't Zuck or Besos the worst people on the planet? Because that's business in those cases.
Because Facebook employs 75000 people and amazon employs 1.4 million people.
I do feel for the people laid off in those firms but Musks mass culling of over 50% of staff is on another scale.
Probably lost more in ad revenue and wealth losses than money saved by buying twitter and Firing most staff which for now nets him a double dunce award.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:22 AM   #209
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Because Facebook employs 75000 people and amazon employs 1.4 million people.
I do feel for the people laid off in those firms but Musks mass culling of over 50% of staff is on another scale.
Probably lost more in ad revenue and wealth losses than money saved by buying twitter and Firing most staff which for now nets him a double dunce award.
Maybe, but like has been said here a few times he is a successful business man. Musk clearly has a plan and I executing it. His reasons for buying the company seem complicated and we will never know the real reason, only he does. If you take the political view that the site was taking a political position with managing the users and that Musk wanted to level the playing field then his house cleaning makes sense, get rid of the folks who were actively political so as to level the free speech field.

If it was simply a business decision to acquire a company to make money then cleaning house to reduce costs is a typical mergers and acquisitions strategy. If he can run the company with 50% less staff then he's saving money.

I suspect its a bit of both. Time will tell.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
vreihen1615137.50
      11-26-2022, 07:38 AM   #210
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
If you take the political view that the site was taking a political position with managing the users and that Musk wanted to level the playing field then his house cleaning makes sense, get rid of the folks who were actively political so as to level the free speech field.

If you look at it that way it does make a lot of sense and as the owner he has the right to do so (and the responsibility take the credit /fallI for it) Im just uneasy at the way the employees were potrayed as workshy and losers and whiners and utterly dispensable etc. As you say time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 07:37 AM   #211
F87M2.
Rep

Drives: M2

Twitter before Musk
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
x622950.00
      11-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #212
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'm 100% on-board with Musk in trying to dismantle this cultural plague. Even if Twitter collapses it'll be a victory for society.

Anti-Musk folks are the same people driving around in their cars with masks on....alone.
Nope. I lean left on social stuff, lean right on financial stuff.

It's funny how Republicans hold up Trump and Musk (both guys who got millions from their parents businesses and somehow think they are geniuses, and Trump has bankrupted how many companies?)

I don't like Musk, and I've only worn masks in places it was required. My fiancé has caught the 'Rona twice, I haven't in the same house. I would bet I've been to more concerts and comedy shows and restaurants, by an order of magnitude, than the average American.

The generalizations just make you look lazy and stupid. So just don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #213
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'm 100% on-board with Musk in trying to dismantle this cultural plague. Even if Twitter collapses it'll be a victory for society.

Anti-Musk folks are the same people driving around in their cars with masks on....alone.

It's funny how Republicans hold up Trump and Musk (both guys who got millions from their parents businesses and somehow think they are geniuses, and Trump has bankrupted how many companies?)

I don't like Musk, and I've only worn masks in places it was required. My fiancé has caught the 'Rona twice, I haven't in the same house. I would bet I've been to more concerts and comedy shows and restaurants, by an order of magnitude, than the average American.

Lots of successful businessmen have experienced significant financial loss on the way to success. It's part of the game (…and the tax code encourages such things).

I just think it's funny that Trump wasn't racist, this or that back in the day when he was hanging out with all of the most prominent African American politicians and celebrities………being glorified in rap music (…and when he was romantically involved with an African American woman), but as soon as 2016 rolled around and he bucked the system, the labels and defamation began. People are fickle creatures. The same has happened to Musk. As a Democrat donor, etc., he was the best thing since baguettes and coffee. Now that he has bucked the system, he's a hate speech aficionado.
Appreciate 6
x622950.00
NYG10579.50
Todd0131379.50
      11-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #214
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

Thank you for your life story.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      11-27-2022, 05:29 PM   #215
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Lots of successful businessmen have experienced significant financial loss on the way to success. It's part of the game (…and the tax code encourages such things).

I just think it's funny that Trump wasn't racist, this or that back in the day when he was hanging out with all of the most prominent African American politicians and celebrities………being glorified in rap music (…and when he was romantically involved with an African American woman), but as soon as 2016 rolled around and he bucked the system, the labels and defamation began. People are fickle creatures. The same has happened to Musk. As a Democrat donor, etc., he was the best thing since baguettes and coffee. Now that he has bucked the system, he's a hate speech aficionado.

Folks like Trump and Musk change their view based on how it benefits them. If they believe being a Democrat will help them gain power and money then they play that role. If it's more beneficial to be a Republican
they morph into that role. They only care about themselves and don't give a rats ass about either party.
Appreciate 3
minn1914012.00
KRS_SN13430.00
      11-27-2022, 08:43 PM   #216
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
Quote:

Folks like Trump and Musk change their view based on how it benefits them. If they believe being a Democrat will help them gain power and money then they play that role. If it's more beneficial to be a Republican
they morph into that role. They only care about themselves and don't give a rats ass about either party.
Or…..

…maybe like Musk said, it was his disappointment with how the administration has run the country that has prompted his change. You don't vote Democrat your entire life and decide to go against the grain unless you change fundamentally. There are a lot of normal people who have changed too.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2022, 10:37 PM   #217
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Absolutely Truth.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 12:00 AM   #218
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Absolutely Truth.
      11-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #219
F87M2.
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Maybe they want what's best for the country, i was a Democrat in my 30s. At some point i started realizing they're hurting Americans, especially Blacks. I've been in most inner cities. They killed a lot of opportunities with their high taxes yet people still have substandard education, high crime, poverty.
As a kid visiting my aunt in california, ithought it was paradise on earth back then they had a republican gov, now places like San francisco are awful.
A house you could buy in Dallas for $400k in california costs millions
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      11-28-2022, 07:52 AM   #220
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep

Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
FB laid off like 11k people, amazon laid off like 10k... why no outrage over those? Why isn't Zuck or Besos the worst people on the planet?
I mean...they are?
Appreciate 0